CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

Did everyone see this? It's excellent and has a lot of information not available from elsewhere. Also, a lot of reports from folks who knew the Harts from a variety of contexts. I was mesmerized.

There's a whole episode on the fake portrayals on the photos and stuff Jen took.

Did you know, for instance, that Jen was an addicted gamer and she was playing for hours and hours every day?

‎Broken Harts on Apple Podcasts

@Breezie has also posted links to the transcripts of 8 episodes for those who prefer to read versus lesson.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/search/5636562/?q=Broken&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=370847

I just found this link which includes a link to all of the case files the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office plans to make public on the case.
I'm going through the files now. Items of interest:

1) Markis is listed as bald. Was his head shaved or something?
2) It's interesting that a redacted individual listed as the Aunt apparently knew the children well enough to tell the authorities how to distinguish Devonte from Jeremiah despite their similar facial features, by placements of a mole on each of them.
3) I wonder why Jennifer and Sarah are the only two with listed weights. Don't they commonly weigh bodies? Or did they get the information off the women's drivers licenses?
4) In the initial case report, all three of the children originally found were thought to be younger than they were by several years, it seems. Abigail was 14, and id'ed in the report as 10-12. Jeremiah was also 14 and id'ed as possibly 12-14. Markis was 19 and id'ed as 15.
5) Abigail had only a sweatshirt on when found. Would the ocean tides have removed her pants and underwear???

2) It's interesting that a redacted individual listed as the Aunt apparently knew the children well enough to tell the authorities how to distinguish Devonte from Jeremiah despite their similar facial features, by placements of a mole on each of them.
3) I wonder why Jennifer and Sarah are the only two with listed weights. Don't they commonly weigh bodies? Or did they get the information off the women's drivers licenses?
4) In the initial case report, all three of the children originally found were thought to be younger than they were by several years, it seems. Abigail was 14, and id'ed in the report as 10-12. Jeremiah was also 14 and id'ed as possibly 12-14. Markis was 19 and id'ed as 15.
5) Abigail had only a sweatshirt on when found. Would the ocean tides have removed her pants and underwear???

4) I think the children were id’ed an younger because they suffered from chronic starvation—very unlike their ‘mothers!’

5) I can’t offer a link, but I think the tides quite likely could have pulled off her clothes. :(

I just found this link which includes a link to all of the case files the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office plans to make public on the case.

Thanks for posting this staunch. Is anyone able to post the link to the case files? I can’t click on it from my phone. but maybe the files aren’t accessible on mobile due to the size.

1) In the autopsy report it says "The scalp is intact and atraumatic, covered with short straight black hair .... and without balding." Maybe you misread something.

2) I thought this was interesting as well but if Jen had cut contact with most of her family, it doesn't mean she didn't have an aunt she was maybe closer to than her parents and who had actually been around the children since her dad said he had not.

3) They have weights listed on the autopsy report as follows:
Markis, 19 - 68 inches (5'8") / 124 pounds
Hannah, 16 - 48 inches (4') / 95 pounds (no clue how they can report this information when only a foot was recovered)
Devonte, 16 - unknown /unknown
Abigail, 14 - 66 inches (5'6") / 82 pounds
Jeremiah, 14 - 66 inches (5'6") / 97 pounds
Ciera, 12 - 59 inches (4'11")/ 73 pounds
Jennifer, 38 - 67 inches (5'7") / 206 pounds
Sarah, 38 - 65 inches (5'5") / 142 pounds

4) It is interesting because the children besides Hannah are all at least 5 and a half feet tall. Also, I noted that the report on her foot stated that three radiopaque transverse (Harris) lines indicated at least two periods of growth delay. Following that growth hiatus, then recovery and resumption of growth occurred. All the other children were noted to appear to be average sized for their age or having small frames.

5) All of the bodies were missing clothing items and more so for those found in the water (all the children found in the water except Jeremiah were found without pants). The clothing listed for all on the autopsy report is as follows:
Markis - gray hoodie, black t-shirt, gray briefs, olive green socks
Hannah - left shoe, part of sock
Jeremiah - blue jeans, black thermal shirt, dark blue canvas belt with white metal buckle, blue briefs, two white and black socks, one black hightop sneaker on left foot
Abigail - red hoodie, red long sleeve shirt, white bra, one white and blue sock on left foot
Ciera - blue jeans, white sports bra, pink underwear
Jen - gray hoodie, black and white patterned leggings, yellow t-shirt, pink underwear, black sock on left foot, gray shoe on left foot
Sarah - gray hoodie, blue jeans, gray and blue long sleeve t-shirt, black short sleeve t-shirt, black camisole with built in bra, gray underwear, black socks

Has anyone else delved deep into these? I spent an hour and a half reading all the documents one by one yesterday when I first found this link. I wish there was more info/photos of the house search :-\

Last edited:
1) In the autopsy report it says "The scalp is intact and atraumatic, covered with short straight black hair .... and without balding." Maybe you misread something.

2) I thought this was interesting as well but if Jen had cut contact with most of her family, it doesn't mean she didn't have an aunt she was maybe closer to than her parents and who had actually been around the children since her dad said he had not.

3) They have weights listed on the autopsy report as follows:
Hannah, 16 - 48 inches (4') / 95 pounds (no clue how they can report this information when only a foot was recovered)

4) It is interesting because the children besides Hannah are all at least 5 and a half feet tall. Also, I noted that the report on her foot stated that three radiopaque transverse (Harris) lines indicated at least two periods of growth delay. Following that growth hiatus, then recovery and resumption of growth occurred. All the other children were noted to appear to be average sized for their age or having small frames.

5) All of the bodies were missing clothing items and more so for those found in the water (all the children found in the water except Jeremiah were found without pants). The clothing listed for all on the autopsy report is as follows:
Markis - gray hoodie, black t-shirt, gray briefs, olive green socks
Hannah - left shoe, part of sock
Jeremiah - blue jeans, black thermal shirt, dark blue canvas belt with white metal buckle, blue briefs, two white and black socks, one black hightop sneaker on left foot
Abigail - red hoodie, red long sleeve shirt, white bra, one white and blue sock on left foot
Ciera - blue jeans, white sports bra, pink underwear
Jen - gray hoodie, black and white patterned leggings, yellow t-shirt, pink underwear, black sock on left foot, gray shoe on left foot
Sarah - gray hoodie, blue jeans, gray and blue long sleeve t-shirt, black short sleeve t-shirt, black camisole with built in bra, gray underwear, black socks

Has anyone else delved deep into these? I spent an hour and a half reading all the documents one by one yesterday when I first found this link. I wish there was more info/photos of the house search :-\
I realized this morning that I only read the files in the first folder. I have now read them all and saw more details in the autopsy report. I was struck by what they said about Hannah's foot as well, including the part about this being related to stress.

I still find it interesting that the autopsy reports that they were all well nourished. I feel like we will never know the truth there. I wish they had done the bone studies on all of the children, but of course they probably didn't think it was necessary since they hadn't found Hannah's foot yet. Maybe they only mean the weights were appropriate for their heights?

I too wish they had included information about the house.

Thanks for posting this staunch. Is anyone able to post the link to the case files? I can’t click on it from my phone. but maybe the files aren’t accessible on mobile due to the size.
Are we allowed to upload them to Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link? If so, I can do that. I will alert on this post.

Did everyone see this? It's excellent and has a lot of information not available from elsewhere. Also, a lot of reports from folks who knew the Harts from a variety of contexts. I was mesmerized.

There's a whole episode on the fake portrayals on the photos and stuff Jen took.

Did you know, for instance, that Jen was an addicted gamer and she was playing for hours and hours every day?

‎Broken Harts on Apple Podcasts

I was actually pretty disappointed with the podcast. I can see why it was interesting to someone who had maybe not been following the case but I have been following it closely since day one and I think they rushed too much to get it out quickly.

While there were small tidbits here and there, nothing really felt like new information. I would have loved to hear more from people who were close to the family -- family members, online and in real life friends, festival friends, the friend that camped at the crash site searching daily for information, former classmates of the kids, the foster daughter "Lee," etc. but I don't think they were as willing to participate as they may have been had more time passed. It is not like it was the type of active investigation where there is an urgent need for tips and information from the public.

I listened to all the episodes but I did not find the podcast to have much more new information than I had already found online in news articles and on here, Facebook and Reddit. The Dekalbs, the former co-worker Jordie/Jordan Smith and friend Zippy Lomax from episode 1, attorney Shondra Jones from episode 2, Nusheen Bakhtiar from episode 3, and Nathaniel Davis and Ken Nwadike from episode 6 had already been interviewed shortly after the crash by other media outlets. Screenshots from Jen's social media had been widely circulated and dissected. The 911 call from the co-worker requesting a welfare check and the father of Dana Dekalb were online. The CPS reports and information was already out there. Jen being a gamer was already out there. Sarah was also a member of the same gaming guild. Folks had posted links to their gaming profile web pages shortly after the accident occurred.

I realized this morning that I only read the files in the first folder. I have now read them all and saw more details in the autopsy report. I was struck by what they said about Hannah's foot as well, including the part about this being related to stress.

I still find it interesting that the autopsy reports that they were all well nourished. I feel like we will never know the truth there. I wish they had done the bone studies on all of the children, but of course they probably didn't think it was necessary since they hadn't found Hannah's foot yet. Maybe they only mean the weights were appropriate for their heights?

I guess it comes down to making good use of resources. Knowing more information about the abuse or neglect would not change anything. They got everything they needed to know to determine causes of death from the toxicology reports, Sarah's google searches and the information from the truck's "black box." I do wonder if Jen was using Sarah's phone to make the searches. I know my wife and I often use each other's phones for different things. I believe the one report said there was a Samsung phone and an iPhone so it's possible one phone was a "better" phone than the other. But it was also stated that Jen typically did the driving so maybe it was Sarah. I guess we'll never know for sure but Jen was the one who purchased the generic Benadryl from Walmart. It's also interesting to me that they purchased both liquid and tablets.

My next previous post goes along with the poster upthread ^^^^ who thought the home was staged the way it was so that everything looked "normal", and the cops wouldn't get suspicious. So, I'm reconsidering my objection to this idea.

I wonder what kind of search LE has done for Devonte? The moms could have messed with him any time on their trip or at home before they left.

And the Jen didn't buy enough bananas for the whole family. Maybe one was already gone?

All my speculation in these threads.... but I think the murder scene and the horror of the home may have eclipsed some other scenarios that may be even more evil to imagine.

Sorry if this is off-topic at this point, but how many bananas did she buy? TIA.

Regarding nourishment, if you look at the whole picture, these points should be factored in: They liked to present a false appearance publicly; they routinely used food as discipline (many accounts of withholding food/stuffing food into mouths, etc.); and they had a long history with CPS, usually being able to manipulate the caseworkers into putting off visits, etc.

I think it's highly likely that anytime a potential CPS report/interaction was in the offing, the children were "fattened up". When they weren't suspicious of or alert to anything, they took photos of half-naked children with protruding bones. A LOT of complaints, comments, photos and other evidence point to food issues.

I thought this was interesting as well but if Jen had cut contact with most of her family, it doesn't mean she didn't have an aunt she was maybe closer to than her parents and who had actually been around the children since her dad said he had not.

The kids were taken away from a birth aunt and quickly adopted out. That aunt would have known distinguishing features. She also would have had photos.

They have weights listed on the autopsy report as follows:

Sickening. They would have been bloated with water, too, and that would have added to the weight.

Even just the full photos of the ones that have only been made available as thumbnails. I spend way too much time on this case ... lol
Wasn't there a link to photos of the house upthread? IIRC, they were standard size, not thumbnails.

There's no way authorities could be saying this is normal. 82 pounds for a 14-year-old girl at 5'6"?
Look at Markis' weight for his dimensions. And he'd have been pretty much finished growing.

LE should also have checked to see if the girls had reached menarche. I bet not. That would be a major give -away.

There's no way authorities could be saying this is normal. 82 pounds for a 14-year-old girl at 5'6"?
Look at Markis' weight for his dimensions. And he'd have been pretty much finished growing.

LE should also have checked to see if the girls had reached menarche. I bet not. That would be a major give -away.

Sarah was an inch shorter than Abigail and weighted almost twice as much. I have to say, I've never known anyone who is 5'6" and weighed 82 lbs. Three pounds less and she'd be in the 70 pound range. It's almost unbelievable. And there's Jennifer, at only 5'7", who weighed over 200. If this all doesn't paint a picture, I don't know what does.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back