Mexico Mexico - Kat Hammontre, 68, US citizen, Baja California, 11 April 2019

She was married on April 11, 2018. So, she went missing on her 1 year anniversary!

As OP stated up thread, there must be more to this story, as it just gets weirder and weirder as more details emerge. I don't know what to think! Wonder who her beneficiaries are?
Many vanished hikers, as documented in the Missing 411 books, have either never been found, or their remains found in completely improbable places. An unusual number of the mysteriously missing have had either physical or intellectual/mental disabilities, or even both, that would seem to preclude them getting very far away, yet no traces have ever been found. I'm reminded of, and often still wonder about, Janet Castrejon who disappeared from a campground in the Chiricahua Mountains of Arizona.
AZ - AZ - Janet Castrejon, 44, Chiricahua National Monument, 19 June 2015
Missing in America: UNSOLVED

I hope, unlike with poor Janet, that at least Kat, or her remains, are found soon. MOO.

I do not mean to be "ageist," but who the heck leaves a 68 y/o woman behind on a hike? Or even anyone with Kat's recent medical history, regardless of age? Not meant to judge, just shocked. But I'm always shocked when someone left behind on a hiking trail is never found again. I get that people hike at different paces. I know when I hike with my extended family (siblings, nieces, nephews, etc.), I am always the slowest hiker (and I'm not even the oldest hiker) but my husband will ALWAYS stay back with me. Granted, these are usually hikes up a mountain and we meet everyone at the top, but still...

My parents lived in San Felipe. We used to go down often to spend holidays with them. The temps drop at night during this time of the year. I’m surprised there are people who hike in the area. The desert surrounding San Felipe is desolate, full of scorpions and poisonous snakes. There is basically nothing for the 120 miles between the border town of Mexicali and San Felipe. We never did the drive at night because you didn’t want to break down on that stretch of desert at night. I really hope she and her doggie are found.

The Cañón’s FB page has a document posted from Baja California’s local government saying that the hiking trails will be closed from April 20, 2019-May 20, 2019 due to Discovery Channel doing some sort of filming there.

Cañon del Diablo - Baja California

I have to agree. Upon my initial read of this, my very first thought was if she had broken toes why would you go on a hike? My thought was maybe they had been on a drive/day out and stopped at some attraction and no one knew how far back a walk it would be to get to it and she thought she could make a short trek. I also considered she thought the dog needed to be walked (after a drive) and perhaps stopping by the creek to rest, she was able to also give him a drink.

However, none of the rest of it makes sense. I also would like to know who the friends were, how and why they came to be there and why she decided to hike as a recent cancer survivor and with broken toes, etc. It is one thing for her to have disappeared but a dog too?

They have been married a year? How long total were they together I wonder? Where did she meet him, in San Felipe? It is said she lived there for 20 years, it did not say he had. If she lived there, it is not hard to believe she met him there though in which case the friends could have been mutual or friends of either of them. I note she carries a different surname than he does so she did not take his name, not that that means anything.

The marijuana grow operations, if these were near a trail that led to a known attraction, I doubt it is the first it was known they existed?

Is it an actual parking lot or if it is as remote as it sounds, is it just a small dirt parking area? I guess she could have made it back to the parking area is one possibility. If it was actually a lot and this a popular attraction, she could have encountered someone on the trail or in the lot.

I went back and reread the initial article and it is stated the husband was going back with the attorney general/PGJE officials he stated on his FB? Why would they take him to the area if he never left the car, exactly what is it he could show them?

Her disappearing is one thing, but the dog too? Someone mentioned above maybe the dog took off after something and she followed the dog. Definitely a possibility, and most of us probably would try to find the dog.

One last thought is I believe they mentioned six friends and then we can add the two of them. Eight people so short of having a very large van or vehicle, they traveled in at least two vehicles. I do not know that means anything, it is just an observation.

All of this is simply my thoughts/thinking out loud and no conclusions.

I've been sitting on my hands since I started reading this thread. I don't know anything more than any of you but it's that age-old angle that nags at me... And the dog. The dog breaks my heart too. Innocent and helpless.

I think the dog would have a better chance of survival. There's water and dogs will pretty much eat anything.
What kind of wild life is in the area?

I've been sitting on my hands since I started reading this thread. I don't know anything more than any of you but it's that age-old angle that nags at me... And the dog. The dog breaks my heart too. Innocent and helpless.

I think the dog would have a better chance of survival. There's water and dogs will pretty much eat anything.
What kind of wild life is in the area?

I was following a FB page belonging to Caesar (I'm sorry I doesn't recall his last name), who would post updates about the search. I think he was with her on the hike (?). He also posted the last known pic of her, and included proof of date the pic was taken because according to him, the authorities did not see any indication that she was ever there. He posted pics and videos of the search. Today when I went to check for updates, his page is no longer available. **eta His page is back up.

On Kat's page, a user posts details about how easy it is to get lost when exiting Diablo Canyon. According to her, the problem is well-known in the hiking community. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, but you can just search for Kat's page on FB.

Last edited:
We are allowed to post links to the missing person’s page. Just not any of her family members. https://m.facebook.com/bajakat

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that her husband has also health problems. Don’t be to harsh on him.

I get the feeling that Kat is a pretty strong woman. If she wanted to go hiking, there probably wasn’t any chance of talking her out of it.

Praying she is found.

I was following a FB page belonging to Caesar (I'm sorry I doesn't recall his last name), who would post updates about the search. I think he was with her on the hike (?). He also posted the last known pic of her, and included proof of date the pic was taken because according to him, the authorities did not see any indication that she was ever there. He posted pics and videos of the search. Today when I went to check for updates, his page is no longer available. **eta His page is back up.

On Kat's page, a user posts details about how easy it is to get lost when exiting Diablo Canyon. According to her, the problem is well-known in the hiking community. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, but you can just search for Kat's page on FB.
Thanks for info. Ok to post her FB page since she is the victim. Stated there 4 hours ago that a ground search is underway, an airplane and drones are in the air.

Sure hope they find her and Tootsie

Kat Hammontre

One last thought is I believe they mentioned six friends and then we can add the two of them. Eight people so short of having a very large van or vehicle, they traveled in at least two vehicles. I do not know that means anything, it is just an observation.

All of this is simply my thoughts/thinking out loud and no conclusions.

[bbm]

they had three vehicles

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood