GUILTY OH - Jonathan Minard, 14, found deceased, Carroll County, 13 April 2019

"Sheriff Dale Williams is calling Jonathan Minard's disappearance "suspicious" after was last seen in New Harrisburg on April 13.

The boy reportedly took a break and did not return to the farm after complaining of a toothache. But he didn't return home.

“We're talking about a young man who has no cell phone, doesn't have any money, and he's been gone for 3 or 4 days? It doesn't add up to me," Williams said.

Williams says there's a "person of interest" that has been questioned but he has not been named a suspect. He says detectives have been diving deeper into the case but stopped short of releasing details that he says could compromise the investigation.

Family is still holding onto hope that Minard will be found. At this point, detectives are asking anyone with any information or tips to call the department to help track down the boy."

Criminal investigation launched into missing 14-year-old in Carroll County

From your link :(:
According to investigators, Minard was helping his 29-year-old friend on the dairy farm of the friend's dad when he began to complain of a toothache, The Canton Repository reported. The pair are said to have headed to the friend’s home to call the teen's mother.
<snip>
Williams said that investigators have now identified a person of interest. He is described as a 29-year-old man with a criminal record, consisting of mainly drug offenses, Fox 8 reported.

It was not immediately clear if the person of interest was Minard’s friend from the farm.

Are they saying the 14 year old has a 29 year old friend?

"Sheriff Dale Williams is calling Jonathan Minard's disappearance "suspicious" after was last seen in New Harrisburg on April 13.

The boy reportedly took a break and did not return to the farm after complaining of a toothache. But he didn't return home.

“We're talking about a young man who has no cell phone, doesn't have any money, and he's been gone for 3 or 4 days? It doesn't add up to me," Williams said.

Williams says there's a "person of interest" that has been questioned but he has not been named a suspect. He says detectives have been diving deeper into the case but stopped short of releasing details that he says could compromise the investigation.

Family is still holding onto hope that Minard will be found. At this point, detectives are asking anyone with any information or tips to call the department to help track down the boy."

Criminal investigation launched into missing 14-year-old in Carroll County
RBBM
The new wording is rather interesting.

I think there’s a difference between being friends with someone and being on friendly terms with someone.. I highly doubt these two actually hang out consistently like “buddies”

ETA very suspicious circumstances imo, I feel like none of this story can be counted on

I think there’s a difference between being friends with someone and being on friendly terms with someone.. I highly doubt these two actually hang out consistently like “buddies”

ETA very suspicious circumstances imo, I feel like none of this story can be counted on
RBBM
I agree 100%. At this point, LE is not even saying he left the farm, only that he took a break. I'm not sure that is because the story has changed, but maybe their perception of facts as they were presented has changed. Or maybe they are indeed just leaving out details pertinent to the case, as suggested in the article quoted above.

Edited to fix broken quote

Jonathon didn't have a cell phone but you can bet his 29 year old friend did IMO. Hopefully LE has checked the pings and knows where the friend was during Friday and Saturday. Could be why there are no more searches in the original search area.

Jonathon didn't have a cell phone but you can bet his 29 year old friend did IMO. Hopefully LE has checked the pings and knows where the friend was during Friday and Saturday. Could be why there are no more searches in the original search area.
^^^ Good comment !

Sorry, long post below.
I use spaces so it doesn't appear to be one long, run-on paragraph.

My theories : JM never left that farm.

JM saw something at the farm that he shouldn't have.

The 29 yr. old tricked JM into doing some 'dirty work' --as in , doing errands. (think, "mule")

JM knew about something the 29 yr. old was up to and had to be 'silenced'.

JM was last seen by people outside of the farm in the presence of the 29 yr. old.

Some questions :
*Why wasn't someone at the farm able to call JM's mom ? (Nearly everyone has a phone these days.)

*Couldn't JM have waited at the farm house or at least in a car ?

*How did JM get to the farm on Sat. ? Couldn't he have waited in that person's vehicle for his mom to arrive and pick him up ?

*I'm assuming at this point that JM was brought to the 29 yr. old's residence to wait for his mom. Why there ?

* Who said that JM had a toothache and who said that JM's mom was called ? Since she said she was never contacted--- did someone at the farm or the 29 yr. old say that JM wanted someone to call his mom ?

*Or did JM himself ask someone to call his mom -- and if so-- who was it ?

* Have LE brought cadaver dogs or SAR dogs to the farm ?

* Is LE conducting surveillance at the farm, as well as the poi's residence ?

* Are there any security cams at the farm ? Some farms have that, now -- so the livestock can be checked on when the farmer is busy with something else, or is away.

* Are there any sec. cams at the residence of the 29 yr.old or at the other homes ? (unless the 29 yr. old lives in an isolated area)

* Have LE looked at the cell phone pings of the 29 yr. old ?

* Have LE talked to the employees/owner of the farm ?
A seasoned investigator could pick up on small clues if harm's been done to JM.
As in -- people changing their stories , or exhibiting nervousness.

Imo; there should've been searches starting Sat. night when JM was reported missing. They should've brought SAR dogs to the farm that night !
Too much time has passed.
Eta : Apologies--- Looks like searches were conducted fairly early on. The local LE are being spoken well of ; and appear to be professional in their actions.
They cannot be blamed if given any false information by anyone who last saw JM.
I believe the Sheriff has stated he hasn't slept very much in three days... :(

I feel for JM's family. The sadness and fear must be immense !

Last edited:
^^^ Good comment !

Sorry, long post below.

The 29 yr. old tricked JM into doing some 'dirty work' --as in , doing errands. (think, "mule")

JM was last seen by people outside of the farm in the presence of the 29 yr. old.

Some questions :
*Why wasn't someone at the farm able to call JM's mom ? (Nearly everyone has a phone these days.)

*How did JM get to the farm on Sat. ? Couldn't he have waited in that person's vehicle for his mom to arrive and pick him up ?

*I'm assuming at this point that JM was brought to the 29 yr. old's residence to wait for his mom. Why there ?

* Who said that JM had a toothache and who said that JM's mom was called ? Since she said she was never contacted--- did someone at the farm or the 29 yr. old say that JM wanted someone to call his mom ?

* Are there any security cams at the farm ? Some farms have that, now -- so the livestock can be checked on when the farmer is busy with something else, or is away.

* Are there any sec. cams at the residence of the 29 yr.old or at the other homes ? (unless the 29 yr. old lives in an isolated area)

Imo; there should've been searches starting Sat. night when JM was reported missing. They should've brought SAR dogs to the farm that night !

According to this video, a farm (I would assume the dairy farm) was searched by volunteers, canines and by air. Authorities organize search for missing Carroll County teen

According to this video, a farm (I would assume the dairy farm) was searched by volunteers, canines and by air. Authorities organize search for missing Carroll County teen

That's good to hear !
I'm assuming SAR dogs... and LE would know the movements of JM around the far, and if he left in someone's car ?

Is it possible he was kicked in the head by a cow and they covered it up to avoid liability?

Possible, but if they searched the farm with SAR dogs --we'd be seeing an arrest by now, I'd think.
Where would the farm hide him ?

As for now, my bet is on the 29 yr. old. Esp. since he's "lawyer-ed up".
Although it's suggested even people who know they're innocent do this to protect themselves.
It's just that I'm sensing some apprehension in the older mans' actions.
If wrong-- I'll happily 'eat crow'.

I am so sorry for JM's family to be going through this !! :(

^^^ Good comment !

Sorry, long post below.

Some questions :

ITA with all of this. And the layout is perfect. Very readable.

Now, could the elaborate "toothache story" be a cover that was somehow quickly concocted?
I mean, if you have done something to/with JM, will that give someone an 'out', once JM is found? Hopefully alive, but what if not?

I really hope LE is on top of everything you pointed out!

Do we know the address of the farm? I'd like to see the layout on google maps. For all we know there might not be a house there.

I also have different concerns for why a 29 year old man would want a 14 year old boy to spend the weekend with him. I guess it could be for cheaper labor though.

Do we know the address of the farm? I'd like to see the layout on google maps. For all we know there might not be a house there.

I also have different concerns for why a 29 year old man would want a 14 year old boy to spend the weekend with him. I guess it could be for cheaper labor though.

Your concerns match my concerns. And I imagine if this were a 14 year old girl, my concerns would be as serious. There is too much unknown to lock anything down on that though IMO

ETA I cannot find anything detailing the farm address, yet. LE had the searchers meeting at the DELLROY fire house. They most likely provided info only to them.

Last edited:
"The teen’s friend lives in New Harrisburg. The friend’s father owns a dairy farm where the boy and his friend helped out, authorities said.

Investigators were told the boy and his friend went to the farm to work April 13, but the boy later complained that he had a toothache. He reportedly returned to the friend’s home to try to reach his parents, and has not been seen since."

Search for Jonathan Minard expands into criminal probe

I am confusing myself. JM's friend's father owns the farm? And the friend is 29? But JM's father has a friend that owns the farm? This friend is both the father and JM's friend? When his tooth hurt they left the farm to go to the friends home,to call mom, they left the farm to call from the house? Or the house is on the farm?

"The teen’s friend lives in New Harrisburg. The friend’s father owns a dairy farm where the boy and his friend helped out, authorities said.

Investigators were told the boy and his friend went to the farm to work April 13, but the boy later complained that he had a toothache. He reportedly returned to the friend’s home to try to reach his parents, and has not been seen since."

Search for Jonathan Minard expands into criminal probe

I am confusing myself. JM's friend's father owns the farm? And the friend is 29? But JM's father has a friend that owns the farm? This friend is both the father and JM's friend? When his tooth hurt they left the farm to go to the friends home,to call mom, they left the farm to call from the house? Or the house is on the farm?
Welcome to the conundrum :)

ETA We really need an address to pin down soooo many details IMO of course...

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave