Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Rescued from Cave, 23 June 2018 #6

The Queen's New Year Honours List

A team of British divers have been decorated for their role in rescuing a boys' football team from a Thai cave. Richard Stanton and John Volanthen, who were the first divers to reach the children, have been awarded the George Medal, the second highest civilian gallantry award.

Divers Joshua Bratchley, Lance Corporal Connor Roe and Vernon Unsworth, were appointed MBEs for their role in the rescue, while Christopher Jewell and Jason Mallinson have been given the Queen's Gallantry Medal for exemplary acts of bravery.

Honours for Thai cave rescue divers

Hooray!!!

The Queen's New Year Honours List

A team of British divers have been decorated for their role in rescuing a boys' football team from a Thai cave. Richard Stanton and John Volanthen, who were the first divers to reach the children, have been awarded the George Medal, the second highest civilian gallantry award.

Divers Joshua Bratchley, Lance Corporal Connor Roe and Vernon Unsworth, were appointed MBEs for their role in the rescue, while Christopher Jewell and Jason Mallinson have been given the Queen's Gallantry Medal for exemplary acts of bravery.

Honours for Thai cave rescue divers

Hooray!!!

Yay! Here's to our heroes! *cheers*

Oh my word, have you guys SEEN how many books there are about this rescue?! Just looked on Amazon and found about 8 or 10 versions either out now or coming soon. Think I'll wait until a few reviews are posted, see what's worth a read.

Thai cave rescue doctors named as dual Australians of the Year

Two doctors vital in the rescue of a Thai soccer team who were trapped in a flooded cave have both been announced as Australian of the Year.

Doctor Craig Challen of Western Australia and Doctor Richard Harris of South Australia were both honoured at the National Arboretum in Canberra this evening.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison presented the two men with the coveted award in front of a packed audience for their heroic efforts at the Chiang Rai caves in July last year.

Australian of the Year announced

Into the dark
The inside story of an improbable team of divers, a near-impossible plan and the rescue of 12 boys from a Thai cave
Shannon Gormley

Jan. 25, 2019
We were foreigners and we weren’t going somewhere foreigners often go, so when I saw the blond man across the Bangkok airport shuttle bus on our way to the remote mountains of Chiang Rai, a one-hour flight away, I asked whether he was about do the one thing or the other: “Are you rescuing the boys or covering the rescue?”

“Well, we’re hoping we can help rescue them,” he said. He didn’t seem hopeful. He seemed grim. We stepped off the bus onto the hot tarmac and walked toward the plane.

“You never know,” I said. “It could happen.” Save 12 children and their soccer coach who got stranded three kilometres inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand at the start of the rainy season with no known food, water or swimming skills: It could never happen.

He nodded. “You never know.”

We climbed the rickety boarding ramp and found our seats, his behind mine. He was too calm. I turned around over the back of my chair. “Have you ever helped rescue many people from a cave before?”

A pause. “Not live ones,” he said.

The heroes of the Thai cave rescue

Incredible read.

Dr Richard Harris says rescuing boys trapped in flooded Thai cave ‘felt like euthanasia’

Dr Richard Harris has described how “it felt like euthanasia” when he submerged the face of the first unconscious child to test the full face mask that would be used in the operation.

“I can’t even begin to tell you, and without getting emotional about it, how that feels to push a child’s face under water when you have just given him an anaesthetic drug and wondering whether the mask will fill up with water.”

“Honestly it felt like euthanasia for the first day, I thought, ‘what the hell am I doing there’.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

Last edited:
“The idea of giving someone a general anaesthetic and then submerging them in zero visibility water, handing them over to a lay person, another caver diver, and asking them to spend three hours under water with them through the cave, I could think of literally a hundred ways they could die.

“But I couldn’t think of a single way of how this could possibly be successful.”

“So I just said, ‘no’. It cannot happen, but I am happy to come over if you think there is a role we could play.”

No Cookies | The Advertiser

On the news right now, they are saying that one of the Thailand cave divers is lost in a cave in Tennessee and they are calling people throughout the United States to help rescue him. They did not name the diver. Just that he was one of the ones that went to Thailand to help with the boys rescue.

ETA

Rescuers rush to locate diver who disappeared inside underwater cave

The missing diver is Josh Bratchley, a British member of the elite international team that helped rescue 12 soccer players and their coach from a Thailand cave in July, ABC News has learned.

Tennessee cave rescue: Diver who helped free Thai soccer team now missing in Tenn. cave

On the news right now, they are saying that one of the Thailand cave divers is lost in a cave in Tennessee and they are calling people throughout the United States to help rescue him. They did not name the diver. Just that he was one of the ones that went to Thailand to help with the boys rescue.

ETA

The missing diver is Josh Bratchley, a British member of the elite international team that helped rescue 12 soccer players and their coach from a Thailand cave in July, ABC News has learned.

Tennessee cave rescue: Diver who helped free Thai soccer team now missing in Tenn. cave

Oh No. Hopefully there are some locals who know that cave and can help the search. My thoughts and prayers going out.

ETA

He’s been found!!

First responders identified an air bell in the cave with enough oxygen for at least a day. A specialized diver found Bratchley alive in that area of the cave just before 7 p.m. local time, and he is said to have been in good spirits at the time of his rescue.

He’s been found!!

First responders identified an air bell in the cave with enough oxygen for at least a day. A specialized diver found Bratchley alive in that area of the cave just before 7 p.m. local time, and he is said to have been in good spirits at the time of his rescue.

:happydance: ! ( I miss the old emoji's, but I'm sure folks here can Envision the old one and will understand)

Such great news, thanks for updating us all!

U.K. cave diver who helped save Thai soccer team is rescued from Tennessee cave

Diver rescued after being trapped in Tennessee cave

Bratchley — who was made a member of the Order of the British Empire in December for his role in the Thai rescue last summer — was in good shape and refused medical treatment, the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.

ETA- as a diver myself and years passed, I am very surprised that people were flown in and went to dive immediately into the cave. When I did, we were not allowed to dive within 24 hours of flying if I recall correctly.

It's been about 10 years since I dove, but I think I'm remembering that correctly. My guess is the cave wasn't more than 30 ft deep or such? It may have been four hundred yards, but it may have not been that deep?

Last edited:
ETA- as a diver myself and years passed, I am very surprised that people were flown in and went to dive immediately into the cave. When I did, we were not allowed to dive within 24 hours of flying if I recall correctly.

It's been about 10 years since I dove, but I think I'm remembering that correctly. My guess is the cave wasn't more than 30 ft deep or such? It may have been four hundred yards, but it may have not been that deep?
I am a certified diver, as well. What I recall from my training is the concern of flying AFTER diving, not before. Here is was DAN says:
For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested. For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.
What is Decompression: Flying after Diving — Medical Dive Article — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Great job by Edd Sorenson and the others on the rescue team. :)

Last edited:
I am a certified diver, as well. What I recall from my training is the concern of flying AFTER diving, not before. Here is was DAN says:

What is Decompression: Flying after Diving — Medical Dive Article — DAN | Divers Alert Network

Great job by Edd Sorenson and the others on the rescue team. :)

Thanks for the correction! It's been 10 years since I dove, and probably 20 years ago since I took the course so I got it mixed up and had it backwards as to my recollection. I hate getting old and forgetting stuff! My apologies that I did not do a quick Google to verify before I posted that.

At least I know I may be getting stuff wrong when I post here, and I said iirc so .. idrc ( I didn't recall correctly) LOL.

I appreciate it that the rescue person had a video for the rescue, and found him just like the boys. Sitting on a Ledge waiting to be found. I wonder if the boys have seen the video, and thought the same thing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back