OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad isn't it. I wonder if Skylar Richardson wishes she'd owned up to being pregnant. She wouldn't be in this mess. So many other options she could have chosen and she could have gone on with her life.

Exactly... she managed to hide her pregnancy the entire time, even from family close to her, going to prom, etc... she could have easily given her up for adoption. She could have gone on with her “perfect little life” and no one would have known.

I just stumbled on this case. A few things I'm not clear on is how they could know the baby was born alive and if they discovered solid evidence of it. If it is discovered the baby was in fact stillborn she still likely can be charged with abuse of a corpse and the like. Another thing that should be considered is that she had an eating disorder and that could have affected her pregnancy. She wasn't aware she was pregnant until she was 32 weeks along (approx. 7 months). Did they ever report the baby's birth weight or if her mother's eating disorder affected her development? One thing I don't understand is why it's been reported she was full-term (38-40 weeks) when she gave birth, but if she found out on April 26th she was approx 32 weeks and gave birth on May 6/7th then wouldn't she only be 33/34 weeks along? That's just under 8 months along and only 12 days after she found out she was pregnant.

I just stumbled on this case. A few things I'm not clear on is how they could know the baby was born alive and if they discovered solid evidence of it. If it is discovered the baby was in fact stillborn she still likely can be charged with abuse of a corpse and the like. Another thing that should be considered is that she had an eating disorder and that could have affected her pregnancy. She wasn't aware she was pregnant until she was 32 weeks along (approx. 7 months). Did they ever report the baby's birth weight or if her mother's eating disorder affected her development? One thing I don't understand is why it's been reported she was full-term (38-40 weeks) when she gave birth, but if she found out on April 26th she was approx 32 weeks and gave birth on May 6/7th then wouldn't she only be 33/34 weeks along? That's just under 8 months along and only 12 days after she found out she was pregnant.

They found evidence that the baby was not stillborn.

State’s high court won’t hear appeal in baby death case

LEBANON, Ohio
The Ohio Supreme Court has declined to hear an appeal by a former high school cheerleader charged with killing and burying her newborn baby.

Lawyers for Brooke Skylar Richardson appealed to the high court after a lower court ruled doctors can testify in the Warren County case. Ohio's Supreme Court on Wednesday declined jurisdiction.

I'm going to post this here, so I can shorten it later! :)

Update: in red

*Status Conference Hearing (@ am ET) - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 6 or 7, 2017, Carlisle) - *Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond.
Trial was set to begin 4/16/18 but is on hold until the 12th District Court of Appeals makes its ruling. Tentatively scheduled for 9/3/19.
4/13/18: Defense & Pros file appeals re doctor/patient privilege.
4/16/18 Defense filed Motion to lift home arrest.

4/24/18: She will be allowed out of the house between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. each day. Authorities will continue to monitor Richardson with a GPS, random drug tests and unannounced home visits.
8/27/18 Update: Appeals hearing set for Sept. 11.
9/11/18 Update: According to Warren County prosecutors Richards told her doctor that she had no intention of having her baby. That came out Tuesday morning at an appeals hearing. At issue: Should the doctors of Skylar Richardson be allowed to testify at her murder trial? That’s at the heart of two appeals argued today at the 12th District Court of Appeals in Middletown. No decision made by Judge, could take months.
10/5/18 Update: Prosecutors & defense lawyers today (10/5) argued their legal challenges to an appeals court, seeking to overturn portions of a lower court’s split ruling about medical records days before the Richardson trial had been set to start. Richardson’s defense team wanted today’s oral arguments closed to the public, but judges denied that request. The trial is on hold until the appeals court rules.
10/22/18 Update: An appeals court ruled Monday an OB-GYN can testify at the trial of a teen mom accused of killing her newborn.
12/5/18 Update: Defense filed a notice of appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court re doctors testifying. Status hearing set for 12/11.
12/11/18 Update: A tentative trial date has been set for Sept. 3, 2019.

2/21/19 Update: The Ohio Supreme Court declines to accept jurisdiction of the case and will not hear the appeal filed by the Defense team. The appeals court ruled that physician-patient privilege doesn’t apply in the case and that the teen’s conversations with two doctors should be admitted as evidence in her upcoming trial. A status conference in the case has been set for April 23.

Carlisle buried baby case: Attorneys again ask Ohio Supreme Court to intervene

WARREN COUNTY —
Attorneys for a Carlisle teen accused of killing her newborn baby girl and burying her in the backyard of her parents’ house in May 2017 are asking the state’s highest court to reconsider hearing an appeal about doctor-patient privilege.
[.....]
Rittgers told the Journal-News recently that the defense team could file a request for consideration by the state’s high court. On Thursday, they did just that.
[.....]
A status conference in the case has been set April 23 in Warren County Common Pleas Court. It is not clear if that hearing will happen.

‘We are ready for trial’: Ohio Supreme Court won’t hear appeal in Carlisle buried baby case

April 18, 2019

WARREN COUNTY —
The Ohio Supreme Court today denied a motion for reconsideration of an appeal filed by the defense team of the Carlisle teen accused of killing her newborn baby girl and burying her in the backyard of her parents’ house in May 2017.
[.....]
The Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal in February, and the defense team filed a motion asking the state’s highest court to reconsider that decision. Today, the request for consideration was denied.

A tentative trial date of Sept. 3 was set in December in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

Tuesday, April 23rd:
*Status Conference Hearing (@ am ET) - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle “Baby Jane Doe” (May 6 or 7, 2017, Carlisle) - *Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond.
Trial was set to begin 4/16/18 but is on hold until the 12th District Court of Appeals makes its ruling. Trial was tentatively scheduled for 4/23/19.
Court dates from 4/13/18 to 12/5/18 - reference post #167 here: OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 *mother arrested*
12/11/18 Update: A tentative trial date has been set for Sept. 3, 2019.
2/21/19 Update: The Ohio Supreme Court declines to accept jurisdiction of the case and will not hear the appeal filed by the Defense team. The appeals court ruled that physician-patient privilege doesn’t apply in the case and that the teen’s conversations with two doctors should be admitted as evidence in her upcoming trial. A status conference in the case has been set for April 23.

2/28/19 Update: Attorneys for Richardson are asking (filed) the state’s highest court to reconsider hearing an appeal about doctor-patient privilege.
4/18/19 Update: The Ohio Supreme Court today (4/18/19) denied a motion for reconsideration of an appeal filed by the defense team.

If they gave her an approximation of 32wks gestation, it was based on the size of her belly alone. I have seen it said that she was told to come back for a dating ultrasound for more accuracy and she did not and that would have been a more accurate gestation. Regardless, they do have a confirmed father (via DNA) whom allegedly moved away for college in August and knows on or about when conception occurred and that timeline does align with a full term birth. They also have fetal bones, which are notoriously accurate for age dating, so there is really no doubt the baby was full term. If the defense is relying on an eating disorder causing a stillbirth, they will have an uphill battle in convincing a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, as the data from the WHO does not support this theory, where live births are not affected in starving or underdeveloped countries, nor does tacit knowledge of past decades where women were expected to remain relatively thin during pregnancy and had healthy babies. Also, only 1% of pregnancies end in stillbirth anyway, so even before prosecution presents any of the evidence they have, there is already a 99% chance the defendant is lying. Sadly, based on just the news stories since the defendant was arrested two years ago, so many stories of parents of all ages and socioeconomic status killing their own children do not make it hard to convince a jury that the defendant was responsible for what happened here.

Lauren Pack‏ @LPackJN 4h4 hours ago
There will be no hearing today in Warren County Court in the Brooke Skylar Richardson case, according to Judge Donald Oda's bailiff. Attorneys met in chambers, but nothing will be put on the record in the courtroom. @journalnews

D42GOa7X4AEpWhO.jpg

Lauren Pack‏ @LPackJN 4h4 hours ago
WATCH: Brooke Skylar Richardson leaves the Warren County courthouse today. No hearing in the courtroom. But attorneys met with the judge and confirmed the September trial date @journalnews

(video clip: Lauren Pack on Twitter )

If they gave her an approximation of 32wks gestation, it was based on the size of her belly alone. I have seen it said that she was told to come back for a dating ultrasound for more accuracy and she did not and that would have been a more accurate gestation. Regardless, they do have a confirmed father (via DNA) whom allegedly moved away for college in August and knows on or about when conception occurred and that timeline does align with a full term birth. They also have fetal bones, which are notoriously accurate for age dating, so there is really no doubt the baby was full term. If the defense is relying on an eating disorder causing a stillbirth, they will have an uphill battle in convincing a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, as the data from the WHO does not support this theory, where live births are not affected in starving or underdeveloped countries, nor does tacit knowledge of past decades where women were expected to remain relatively thin during pregnancy and had healthy babies. Also, only 1% of pregnancies end in stillbirth anyway, so even before prosecution presents any of the evidence they have, there is already a 99% chance the defendant is lying. Sadly, based on just the news stories since the defendant was arrested two years ago, so many stories of parents of all ages and socioeconomic status killing their own children do not make it hard to convince a jury that the defendant was responsible for what happened here.
Oh wow! They found the father! I feel for him, can you imagine?! Thanks for this information. It makes sense now being that it was just an estimate of gestation. Good point about the healthy born babies in impoverished countries. Historically women had even worn corsets while pregnant and had healthy babies! I feel like I was in denial about this case from the beginning. I hope with this case it will cause awareness to NOT live solely for appearances, vanity, reputation, and egos; and also to not see something like a unexpected pregnancy as a something that could 'ruin' your reputation. Life happens, everything is not always going to be perfect, and you can definitely make better out of a flawed situation.

I just hope the jury finds this guilty for killing her child.

And I am glad she is on house arrest because her last bit of freedom is fixing to be over in a few months.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member