SC - Raniya Wright, 5th grader dies from fight at school, Mar 2019

Caroline Hecker on Twitter
Attorney for Wright family reads strongly worded statement, detailing an independent investigation that found the student involved in incident with Wright was verbally and physically abusive many times before the day of the fight. @wis10
11:10 AM - 19 Apr 2019

VIDEO: Attorney claims a student in the classroom that witnessed fight says teachers did nothing to break it up. @wis10
11:13 AM - 19 Apr 2019

“What was the trigger for the rupture if she had this preexisting condition?” asks the family’s attorney. They plan to press for answers from medical professionals. @wis10
11:16 AM - 19 Apr 2019

RaNiya Wright’s mom speaks publicly following the announcement by the coroner that her daughter’s death was natural. She says, “my child was very healthy.” @wis10
D4hrEnhW0AAckPv.jpg

11:31 AM - 19 Apr 2019

Wright’s mother says communication between her and the school was virtually non-existent, beyond being told her daughter was in a “fight.” Says she wasn’t updated regarding RaNiya’s status. @wis10
D4hsFUFWkAAcLY9.jpg

11:35 AM - 19 Apr 2019

As she was pulling into the hospital, she says she called the school to find out why her daughter was taken to the hospital and claims they wouldn’t tell her. @wis10
11:37 AM - 19 Apr 2019

“Everyone cared after my daughter passed away,” RaNiya’s mom said. She says before that, the concern wasn’t there. @wis10
11:40 AM - 19 Apr 2019

Last edited:
Colleton County School District says the report released by the sheriff’s office shows Wright’s death was not a result of the fight and that district employees followed all proper procedures in breaking up the fight/giving medical help. @wis10
D4ib8TXWkAAkkV4.jpg

3:05 PM - 19 Apr 2019

School district says teachers gave both Wright and the other student warnings throughout the day when they weren’t getting along. It also says the teacher stepped in immediately to break up the fight and was present in the classroom. @wis10
3:06 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Other student involved in the fight has been placed in an alternative learning environment and will not return to Forest Hills Elementary this semester, the district says. It is not at liberty to talk about her disciplinary record. @wis10
3:07 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Colleton County School District Superintendent says it isn’t classifying the incident as a “fight” but rather a “scuffle.” It says it has no information to show confirmed communication between the school/teacher and RaNyia Wright’s mother. @wis10
3:09 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Statements from students in the classroom at the time of the fight at Forest Hills Elementary detail RaNyia Wright walking past the other student and hitting her in the back. That student got up, followed Wright and some students say put her in a headlock, punching her. @wis10
5:56 PM - 19 Apr 2019

In English law the following principle applies but I'm unsure if you have similar in the U.S .....

“The thin-skull rule, which is a long-standing principle of tort law, provides that a wrongdoer must take his victim as he finds him.

...if RW was particularly susceptible it matters not .... I think the family are entirely correct in questioning this JMO

Colleton County School District says the report released by the sheriff’s office shows Wright’s death was not a result of the fight and that district employees followed all proper procedures in breaking up the fight/giving medical help. @wis10
D4ib8TXWkAAkkV4.jpg

3:05 PM - 19 Apr 2019

School district says teachers gave both Wright and the other student warnings throughout the day when they weren’t getting along. It also says the teacher stepped in immediately to break up the fight and was present in the classroom. @wis10
3:06 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Other student involved in the fight has been placed in an alternative learning environment and will not return to Forest Hills Elementary this semester, the district says. It is not at liberty to talk about her disciplinary record. @wis10
3:07 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Colleton County School District Superintendent says it isn’t classifying the incident as a “fight” but rather a “scuffle.” It says it has no information to show confirmed communication between the school/teacher and RaNyia Wright’s mother. @wis10
3:09 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Statements from students in the classroom at the time of the fight at Forest Hills Elementary detail RaNyia Wright walking past the other student and hitting her in the back. That student got up, followed Wright and some students say put her in a headlock, punching her. @wis10
5:56 PM - 19 Apr 2019

Whether this child had any such preconditions like AVM, it really appears that there was much more than pushing/shoving going on here. If they verify that she was hit/hit her head on something, that had to be the cause IMO.

Whether this child had any such preconditions like AVM, it really appears that there was much more than pushing/shoving going on here. If they verify that she was hit/hit her head on something, that had to be the cause IMO.
I haven't read the thread - I just have all of this coming up in my Twitter feed because I'm following another case in SC. But, from the very little I've read, the children's statements don't seem to match the teacher's account. If so, that is troubling. MOO

So terribly sad that she had this condition and had reported the headaches but no one knew. I am assuming that stress would not be a factor. I am sorry for her and her family.

This must feel like reopening the wound for her mother.

Last edited:
The scariest part of the story is that the killer is also a fifth grade girl. With a propensity to violence this young, and bullying, I don't think that therapy will help. And with laws protecting the rights of "children", if she isn't charged, and put away, she could be back in regular school next year.

The scariest part of the story is that the killer is also a fifth grade girl. With a propensity to violence this young, and bullying, I don't think that therapy will help. And with laws protecting the rights of "children", if she isn't charged, and put away, she could be back in regular school next year.
According to the DA there was no killer.

So terribly sad that she had this condition and had reported the headaches but no one knew. I am assuming that stress would not be a factor. I am sorry for her and her family.

This must feel like reopening the wound for her mother.
Somebody knew she had headaches. Are you saying the school wasn't informed.

The autopsy should show any bump on the head.

I don't think the term "killer" is appropriate in this situation and it seems unfair to label the other girl as such, IMO. Yes, she obviously has behavioral issues that need to be dealt with but "killer" seems extreme. There was a fight and both girls were involved. Unfortunately, RW had a serious congenital defect that noone knew about. Per the ME, the fight did not aggravate her condition and it could have happened at any time.

Awfully coincidental that a congenital condition just so happened to hemorrhage minutes after an “altercation”. MOO

From that link:

"Stone said Wright had complained of headaches prior to the incident and visited a doctor seven times since February 2017."

Are they saying she visited a doctor seven (7) times for headaches? Or seven (7) times for other ailments. And, whether it was for headaches, or not, each time, is this not a disregard for HIPAA laws? I guess they can disregard a patient's privacy, when trying to prove the cause of death?

I don't know, but it sounds like they want this to go away.

Yeah, that family needs another (independent) autopsy completed. JMO of course.

SC 5th grader died of natural causes, no criminal charges to be filed, investigators say

I lean towards her medical history, doctors & records. Moo
I don't know though. It feels too neat. Too packaged. That Senator was calling this a non-physical altercation. Some of these articles give conflicting details on the kid's interviews. Which ones are true? The ones where no one threw any punches? Or the ones where the other student threw punches at RW?

And how did the autopsy land in the Senator's hands? Is that a normal process? Or a response to a 7 alarm fire? [There was no fire, just analogy folks]

This is all so tragic. That little girl could have been a star. Now she's an angel.

I don't think the term "killer" is appropriate in this situation and it seems unfair to label the other girl as such, IMO. Yes, she obviously has behavioral issues that need to be dealt with but "killer" seems extreme. There was a fight and both girls were involved. Unfortunately, RW had a serious congenital defect that noone knew about. Per the ME, the fight did not aggravate her condition and it could have happened at any time.

Would you want this girl working at a daycare where your child goes when she is 18? Would you want your daughter sitting next to her at school?

This was not a "tragic accident". It was no doubt a "Perfect Storm" situation. But, that being said, I wouldn't want this girl as a grown woman taking care of kids.

Would you want this girl working at a daycare where your child goes when she is 18? Would you want your daughter sitting next to her at school?

This was not a "tragic accident". It was no doubt a "Perfect Storm" situation. But, that being said, I wouldn't want this girl as a grown woman taking care of kids.

Seriously?? This girl is in 5th grade and you're already worried about her working at a daycare when she's 18??? I get it, she obviously has behavioral issues, however with some good, intensive professional help she has the chance to adjust her behavior way before she has to start adulting. She's 11 and you've already written her off as a killer. IMO, this was a tragic accident and I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Do you know anything about her? Too many people make a rush to judgment based on social media.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back