IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://pagesix.com/2019/04/17/kim-...ve-authority-to-drop-smollett-charges-emails/

First Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Magats, the man who decided to drop 16 felony charges against Jussie Smollett, never had the legal authority to act in his boss Kim Foxx’s stead, internal agency correspondence shows.

A trove of documents obtained by The Post and others through a public records request reveal that high ranking members of Foxx’s team sought advice on the legal authority behind her recusal after it was made public on Feb. 19.

Alan Spellberg, the county’s Criminal Appeals Division Supervisor, sent an email to Chief Deputy State’s Attorney and Chief Ethics Officer April Perry and senior adviser Robert Foley on Feb. 20 citing legal precedence behind recusals.

“My conclusion from all of these authorities is that the [sic] while the State’s Attorney has the complete discretion to recuse herself from any matter, she cannot simply direct someone (even the First Assistant) to act in her stead,” Spellberg wrote.

Foxx told the media she recused herself from the case “out of an abundance of caution” because of a conversation she had with one of Smollett’s family members about the investigation. She then appointed Magats to take over.

That conversation was actually between former White House advisor Tina Tchen who reached out to Foxx on the Smollett family’s behalf to ask for the FBI to get involved because they were concerned the Chicago Police Department was leaking information about the case to the press.

A legitimate recusal to avoid this conflict of interest would’ve required Foxx’s entire office to remove themselves from the case and they would’ve needed to appoint a special prosecutor.

Instead, Foxx kept it with her office and continued to meddle in the case until the charges were dropped against Smollett on March 26, other internal correspondence showed.

In a statement to The Post, the State’s Attorney Office claimed Foxx “was not included in Alan Spellberg’s email and was not aware of its existence or content.” The office said they did not tell Foxx about the email’s contents.

“The State’s Attorney was recused at the time of Mr. Spellberg’s opinion and thus had been not [sic] made aware of the email or it’s contents,” the agency said when asked why Foxx wasn’t informed of the email.

On March 27, the agency said in a statement Foxx had only “colloquially” recused herself and was not “formally recused” in a legal sense, although it’s not immediately clear how a state attorney can discuss recusals in a colloquial sense.

On April 12 following a wave of backlash over her handling of the case, Foxx asked Cook County’s inspector general to investigate her office’s handling of the case.

“The Office of the Independent Inspector General is investigating the handling of the recusal, and the ultimate disposition of the case,” a spokesperson told The Post.

“We look forward to the findings.”

I look forward to the findings as well!

Chicago politics has never been known for high ethical standards. But this takes the cake.

I believe that Foxx should have a peer review process by the Bar Association of Illinois. This fiasco demands comprehensive investigation. Her lack of ethics, integrity and candor makes me wonder if she is suitable for having a license to practice law in Illinois.

Smollett's actions were not "victimless" as Foxx tries to portray. And the racial overtones are impossible to ignore. I do not believe for one second if the situation was reversed and a Grand Jury outcome of 16 felonies for a non-minority in the same situation would have been dismissed by Foxx.

That is the problem.

Smollett's actions were not "victimless" as Foxx tries to portray. And the racial overtones are impossible to ignore. I do not believe for one second if the situation was reversed and a Grand Jury outcome of 16 felonies for a non-minority in the same situation would have been dismissed by Foxx.

THIS!
Unfortunately and accurately true.

Interestingly, he doesnt say 'you have to believe me, I DID NOT do it'.

He just says 'you have to believe me, I got off'. Two very different things, no?

I really have no time for this dude. Morally bankrupt, ignorant and so full of himself its beyond ridiculous.
I know, he refuses to tell the truth. What a liar.

Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

I wonder how much longer she’s going to hold her breath before she jumps ship as well. IMO if she doesn’t do it willingly, they’re going to shove her overboard....as they should. She’s got to know it’s coming.

And it all started with a silly, deranged C-list celebrity.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw that message in her texts..I quit watching Empire when this broke. I don’t know if it was all because of this, or that one can only handle so many discussions of “clap backs” in their life lol I will go back & watch if the day ever comes that the writers decide to make this a story line.

'What if Jussie is telling the truth?': Jussie Smollett's brother calls hoax accusations 'ludicrous' and says the Empire star is suffering night terrors over the 'attack'

Jussie Smollett's brother calls hoax accusations 'ludicrous' and says he is suffering night terrors | Daily Mail Online

(Oh please......)

So brother JoJo is going to bat for Jussie. Sweet. But it's hard truth that the "noble" Jussie had no problem throwing his other brother Jake under the bus in 2007.

Interesting news this morning. Jussie says once ALL the info comes out he will hopefully be vindicated.
Jussie Smollett hopes to clear his name in the court of public opinion

His brother asks, "What if he is telling the truth?"
Jussie Smollett's Brother Speaks Out in Defense of Actor: 'What If He Is Telling the Truth?'

Is this just a lot of PR vapor?

The protective older brother also stated that Jussie “never seeks attention” and “didn’t even want to contact the police, following his assault,” adding, “He was weary and didn’t care for the unnecessary attention it might garner.”

If he didn't want attention, why in the world would he go on GMA??
Jessie started this and it my opinion Jessie will need to finish this.

Why is Ms. Fox so confident and encouraging an investigation? She seems to be saying ...bring it on, I'm innocent. Clearly, she has more confidence that most would have given the accusations.
Hummmmm....

Sounds to me like the standard defense soundbite of" my client is not guilty, (for us trial followers, that is correct, as it has not gone to court so it means nothing) you will see all the evidence once you hear all of the information and it comes out in court".

Defense lawyer 101 sound clips for what to say to the media. Moo

And in an event where you don't think that there will be an investigation, you perhaps say what she is saying now?

It's all just bloviation in my opinion.

The protective older brother also stated that Jussie “never seeks attention” and “didn’t even want to contact the police, following his assault,” adding, “He was weary and didn’t care for the unnecessary attention it might garner.”

If he didn't want attention, why in the world would he go on GMA??
Jessie started this and it my opinion Jessie will need to finish this.

BBM. I bet ol' Jussie couldn't wait to get on TV and boast, "I fought back!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member