IL IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, lawyering up may be a good idea, however; she ENDED the police interview at her lawyers request. He stated, he ended the interview when it was suggested she maybe a suspect. (Reference video)

Anytime a child disappears the parents can expect to be questioned and offered a lie detector test. We saw this in the Smart case and others.

Believe me, I agree, I was just talking generally about lawyering up. I also agree that parents can expect to be questioned and would quickly do all they can and cooperate so the "real" perp can be found and when they do not, something is generally up.

I think I am with the majority in what I think likely happened here. I hope we are wrong but it is all too familiar of a story...

Speaking of Elizabeth Smart, that was an unusual case in that she was taken out of her home when others where home which is pretty rare. The other one that comes to mind first that way was Polly Klaus (not sure if I have the spelling right?). I do not think for one minute it is what happened here though.

For every Elizabeth Smart or Polly Klaas, there are thousands of kids whose parents try to use the same story after they harmed their child. Just because there is a minute possibility the adults in AJ’s life are not involved in his disappearance doesn’t make it very likely. I’d love to be wrong about this and AJ just comes strolling on home, but my two cents is that he’s been not of this world since long before Thursday.

Last edited:
For every Elizabeth Smart or Polly Klaas, there are thousands of kids whose parents try to use the same story after they harmed their child. Just because there is a minute possibility the adults in AJ’s life are not involved in his disappearance doesn’t make it very likely. I’d love to be wrong about this and AJ just comes strolling on home, but my two cents is that he’s been not of this world long before Thursday.

Sadly, I tend to agree. I can hope we are wrong but I do not think it is likely.

Can someone clarify that the bf of mom *is* aj'so father. I think the words bf, father, husband are all being interchanged for a single person because mom and dad live together but are not married. So, it's just the two and a second adult male is not in the picture?
The man in the house has the same name as the missing boy, they are Sr. and Jr., so yes, biological father. Mother has different last name so girlfriend, most likely not spouse.

For every Elizabeth Smart or Polly Klaas, there are thousands of kids whose parents try to use the same story after they harmed their child. Just because there is a minute possibility the adults in AJ’s life are not involved in his disappearance doesn’t make it very likely. I’d love to be wrong about this and AJ just comes strolling on home, but my two cents is that he’s been not of this world since long before Thursday.

Yes, that is why taking a polygraph test, answering questions,etc immediately will progress the investigation in the right direction. Anything less creates suspicion. JMO

It's appalling that DCSF takes the word of a mother who's child was born with opiates in his system. Has had several calls about this poor child.
DCSF Had the power to protect him. They had several opportunities to protect,and save him.
I think the only reason the younger brother was removed from the home is becau the public eye is on them,and they know it.
Otherwise I think it would business as usual,and that poor child would still be stuck there.
MOO
^^^ Can't totally disagree.

The "dog bites" resulting in AJ's bruises were bizarre.
Dogs leave puncture wounds.
Again, AJ looked malnourished and peaked in his photos. With sad, sunken eyes.
I'm thinking they could've pressed the family further. What made them back off ?

Curious here : Since AJ's father was a disbarred lawyer (from other posts and links) -- could he have pulled some strings , to force DCFS' hand ?

The ultimate blame if AJ is no longer with us lies with whomever caused him to 'vanish'.
But more could've been done from outside this family.
Even if people complete their 12 steps towards alcohol and drug-free living, their home life and children need to be checked if a neighbor calls DCFS for abuse.

Wonder what the neighbor observed ? The previous posts and articles mentioned fights that were spilling out into the streets.
It had to be bad.

Last edited:
Yes, that is why taking a polygraph test, answering questions,etc immediately will progress the investigation in the right direction. Anything less creates suspicion. JMO

Agreed. How is it possible the parent of a missing child even cares if they are a suspect? Wouldn’t they be more worried about their child at that point? Think whatever you want about me, my house, my cell phone, I’ll tell you anything you want to know, just find my kid!

I'm thinking they could've pressed the family further. What made them back off ?

Curious here : Since AJ's father was a disbarred lawyer (from other posts and links) -- could he have pulled some strings , to force DCFS' hand ?
To be fair, my child was bitten by her friend's large dog and it left horrible bruises on her leg.
Agree on the other point, though. Seems that he went through a lot in five years.

Agreed. How is it possible the parent of a missing child even cares if they are a suspect? Wouldn’t they be more worried about their child at that point? Think whatever you want about me, my house, my cell phone, I’ll tell you anything you want to know, just find my kid!
Agreed.

Both Polly Klass' family and the Amber Duboise/Chelsea King families cooperated fully when their daughters' were abducted.
Iirc, from the Dateline episode -- Ambers' mom even went south of the border to find her !

My sister was a NICU nurse for the largest NICU in Ft Lauderdale for 15 years. She said drug addiction is most horrific way to begin life. These kids can be hospitalized for months with many medical problems. The saddest is when no one visits them. Heart breaking...

The problems for babies born to opioid-addicted mothers

The first and most obvious impact of being born to an opioid-addicted mother is withdrawal. This is known as neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) and it includes excessive tremors, sweating, fever, vomiting and insomnia. The most harrowing symptoms are seizures and an inconsolable, high-pitched cry.

Opioid use during pregnancy has also been associated with development delays and intellectual impairment. But most studies were conducted before the use of synthetic opioids and scientists don’t yet know the long-term implications of these substances on babies.

While some opioid users – particularly those addicted to prescribed medications – live relatively stable lifestyles, others have a chaotic lifestyle involving risk-taking, crime, poor self-care or social isolation. Children raised in this environment are at risk of harm, including both physical and emotional neglect, and are often placed into foster care.

The ultimate blame if AJ is no longer with us lies with whomever caused him to 'vanish'.
But more could've been done from outside this family.
Even if people complete their 12 steps towards alcohol and drug-free living, their home life and children need to be checked if a neighbor calls DCFS for abuse.

Wonder what the neighbor observed ? The previous posts and articles mentioned fights that were spilling out into the streets.
It had to be bad.
Well if Andrew hadn't been given back in the first place we wouldn't be here.
DCSF has had ample reason to get Andrew out of there.
I do wonder if Dad being a lawyer got them a free pass too. Still the ultimate power lies with DCSF.
I wonder if DCSF could look Andrew in the eye, give the same lame excuses as to why he was left in that home.

What a confused world little AJ lived in (and out of) in his short life. Foster home(s?) and neglect with his birth Mom. Was even half of his life anything that resembles functional? Perhaps he was more secure in foster care than at his birth Mother’s “home”. Mom’s record of relapse is evident in DCFS records and following documented “treatment” instances, she becomes pregnant (shortly thereafter, even). I’m wondering how that affected him, emotionally. Did the little guy have behavioral challenges? I wouldn’t be surprised at all, considering what he’d been through. Could his birth parents cope, especially if they were “using” and did his behavior worsen? (NOT victim blaming a five year old!) It’s possible birth parents did not have the skills to deal w/AJ and things got out of hand, went too far.

Thinking of Dad’s on-camera comments yesterday, asking AJ to coming home and telling his missing five year old that “he wouldn’t be in trouble”. Dad was playing for the cameras, you can see him making eye contact, aware that they were there. SM(creaking)H.

Well if Andrew hadn't been given back in the first place we wouldn't be here.
DCSF has had ample reason to get Andrew out of there.
I do wonder if Dad being a lawyer got them a free pass too. Still the ultimate power lies with DCSF.
I wonder if DCSF could look Andrew in the eye, give the same lame excuses as to why he was left in that home.

Sometimes DCPS hands are tied, in most states a judge must sign off on removing a child from the home.

We had a case in the community where my good friend Director of Social Services of the hospital , DCPS and LE begged a judge for an order to remove an infant. The child was brought to ER by grandmother at 5 days old with bruises. The judge flat out refused, old guy and wasn't gonna budge, A few days later, Mothers Day, to be exact, the mother microwaved the infant. She died and EMT and LE said it was the worst thing they had every seen. My friend resigned after years at the hospital, the judge retired and the state was sued. Family got a big fat check.

The system is broke. Its harder and harder to protect kids with family rights groups hiring high dollar lawyers and screaming abuse by DCPD. JMO and from years of experience.

Thinking of Dad’s on-camera comments yesterday, asking AJ to coming home and telling his missing five year old that “he wouldn’t be in trouble”. Dad was playing for the cameras, you can see him making eye contact, aware that they were there. SM(creaking)H.
I agree, there's been a lot of talk about the mother, but the father seems controlling and was trying to craft a deliberate and favorable narrative with the cameras (he is a lawyer, after all). The relationship and power dynamic is very, very odd. He's twice the mother's age, and the home was in his name, and he seemed to be the main income source for the family, but of course that fell apart when he was suspended from practicing law and the home is now in foreclosure. We know from the news that there were fights spilling out into the yard and that the house had fallen into disrepair and disarray. Perhaps dad was losing control of everything. MOO

Sometimes DCPS hands are tied, in most states a judge must sign off on removing a child from the home.

We had a case in the community where my good friend Director of Social Services of the hospital , DCPS and LE begged a judge for an order to remove an infant. The child was brought to ER by grandmother at 5 days old with bruises. The judge flat out refused, old guy and wasn't gonna budge, A few days later, Mothers Day, to be exact, the mother microwaved the infant. She died and EMT and LE said it was the worst thing they had every seen. My friend resigned after years at the hospital, the judge retired and the state was sued. Family got a big fat check.

The system is broke. Its harder and harder to protect kids with family rights groups hiring high dollar lawyers and screaming abuse by DCPD. JMO and from years of experience.
That's unforgivable.
Yes not just DCSF, Judges,and lawyers too.
So sad the very system set up to protect children does more harm than good.
Still can't wrap my head around DCSF buying the story about the dogs. Even if it was the dogs WTH? Obviously Andrew was abused,and neglected no fault of the dogs.
I'm sorry about your friend,and the poor sweet Baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood