Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #17 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both these sentences are pathetic.

Borce Ristevski and Joseph Esmaili manslaughter sentences prompt calls for law reform

Yesterday's nine-year jail sentence imposed on Borce Ristevski, who hid his wife's body under logs and denied involvement in her death for years, immediately sparked outrage over sentencing laws in Victoria.
A day earlier, Joseph Esmaili was sentenced to 10 and a half years in jail for killing surgeon Patrick Pritzwald-Stegmann with a single punch after an argument about smoking at a hospital.
One key difference is Esmaili was the first person to be sentenced under Victoria's one-punch laws, which mandate a minimum decade-long jail term
There is no equivalent legislation for sentencing in family violence matters, but the Victorian Opposition is using the Ristevski case to push for a parliamentary review.
Domestic Violence Victoria said the Ristevski sentence exposed "the limitations of the criminal justice system in delivering just outcomes in family violence matters".

"Today we received the message that taking a woman's life is worth six years of a man's life in prison," a DV Victoria statement said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-19/borce-ristevski-joseph-esmaili-different-manslaughter-sentences/11029858

It could be a wonderful legacy for Karen and her birth family if the uproar about Borce's paltry sentence will create a change in sentencing laws for the perpetrators of domestic murders and other perpetrators of 'manslaughter'.

It won't take the pain and unfairness away, in this and other cases, but it sure could help to gain justice for the relentless onslaught of future 'manslaughtered' people.

It could be a wonderful legacy for Karen and her birth family if the uproar about Borce's paltry sentence will create a change in sentencing laws for the perpetrators of domestic murders and other perpetrators of 'manslaughter'.

It won't take the pain and unfairness away, in this and other cases, but it sure could help to gain justice for the relentless onslaught of future 'manslaughtered' people.

FIGHT if you feel strongly about something as people have short memories.

Allison Baden-Clay didn’t leave a legacy, her family did.

Lisa Harnam’s mother who lives in England and attends the Australian white ribbon fight against domestic violence through the Lisa Harnum Foundation which she created.

No words can describe those saints the Morcombes and Rosie Batty.

No one can do the fight for you.

I 100% agree K-mac, the laws need to be changed. A minimum sentence would act as a better deterrent for anyone who is unable to "keep it together" for that moment they decide to take the life of another human being.
the judge had the option to give him 20 years.
the power and discretion of a judge is where things need to change imo.
this is the crime this is the time. boom.

Australian Borce Ristevski jailed for killing Kiwi wife Karen

Ristevski did not change his expression as he was sentenced to almost a decade for killing his wife, standing with his hands clasped in front of him before guards led him away.
If Ristevski had not pleaded guilty, Justice Beale said he would have imposed a sentence of 10 years.
-.-
Despite that, Justice Beale told the court Ristevski's plea of guilty was "still worthy of a significant discount".
-.-
Justice Beale told the court Ristevski's guilty plea would not result in the discounted sentence he might otherwise expect because "you have not revealed how or why" Karen was killed.

:confused::rolleyes::confused:

NoCookies | The Australian
Borce Ristevski sentenced: is this really justice?
Caroline Overington

He lied to his family about it. He had the hide even to carry her coffin, to hug her loved ones at the funeral, to plead with the public for information, to waste police resources, by forcing them down hopeless lines of inquiry for days, weeks, months.

And then, when it became apparent that he was going to trial, he confessed to manslaughter.
-.-
The judge outlined his reasons: Karen’s husband — her killer — got a discount for, among other things, pleading guilty, sparing the family a trial.
The trial would have lasted five weeks.
This sentence will burn forever.

I’ve been so emotional yesterday and today. Karen was betrayed by her husband and her daughter. She put so much time and effort into both of those relationships to be tossed aside like an old shoe. I always felt conflicted for SR. I wonder how I would feel in her position. Doesn’t she feel betrayed by her father? Angry with him? I’d have so much rage inside of me. I just don’t understand :(
Rip Karen

I’ve been so emotional yesterday and today. Karen was betrayed by her husband and her daughter. She put so much time and effort into both of those relationships to be tossed aside like an old shoe. I always felt conflicted for SR. I wonder how I would feel in her position. Doesn’t she feel betrayed by her father? Angry with him? I’d have so much rage inside of me. I just don’t understand :(
Rip Karen
I have been thinking also about Karen's role as a wife, mother & breadwinner. There has been simply nothing forthcoming about her achievements, loving or caring nature within these roles. It has been left up to everyone else in Karen's life to attest to these besides her husband and daughter. I find this incredibly disturbing.

Karen deserved better and I am hoping a tribute or "Karen's Law" (minimum sentences for manslaughter) is introduced to honor and show this respect she deserved in her memory.

Calculated moves? Borce Ristevski's steps after he killed Karen / THE AGE

Somehow, even after admitting that he killed Karen, he maintained his relationship with his daughter Sarah, who wrote a positive character reference for him, which helped mitigate his prison term.

For thse who are interested, there is a transcript of the official sentence against Borce in this article. It is immediately after the main body of text.

Borce Ristevski, on the morning of 29 lune 2016, you and your wife Karen Anne Ristevski, to whom you had been married for some 27 years, were at home at 23 Oakley Drive, Avondale Heights. Your 21~year-old daughter Sarah, who also lived there, spoke to both of you before she headed off to work. Sarah was never to see her mother alive again. Within a couple of hours of Sarah's departure, you had killed your wife, disposed of her body in a forest in the Macedon Regional Park and started down a road of deceit that you were to continue on for nearly three years .........................
Gap between two killers' sentences sparks outrage as family violence groups question law

I'm a beliver in things happen for a reason. We've had many...*advertiser censored*..o ..the walks.. over the years here.
This is applicable for both B&S. Sara is no longer a victin. She chose not to be one when she passed over her victim statement to the court.
They will both be hounded by the media for years to come and that gives me some relief over this appalling sentence.
Appeal or no appeal won't make things any easier or financially better for them in Australia.

Attachments

• 2019-04-06_23h05_18.png
    2019-04-06_23h05_18.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 11
Calculated moves? Borce Ristevski's steps after he killed Karen / The Age

Investigators believe Karen was slain in the bathroom of the family's Avondale Heights home in Melbourne's north-west. The bathroom was hospital-grade clean and there was no forensic evidence to be gathered anywhere in the house.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

We must stop putting dead women in the ‘too hard basket’

Borce Ristevski killed his wife, Karen, bundled up her body, dumped her in bushland, and then carried out a series of actions to cover up his crimes.

Sounds like murder, right? So why is it that Supreme Court Justice Christopher Beale saw it fit to convict for manslaughter only? How is it that a man can kill his wife and only be sentenced to a non-parole period of six years in prison?

Call for parole ban on killers who refuse to tell police how their victims died.

Convicted killers who refuse to reveal how their victims died would not be allowed out of prison early, under a plan put on the agenda in the wake of Borce Ristevski’s controversial minimum six-year sentence.

Category: | Herald Sun

Something like no body no parole.
I’m liking that but don’t hold your breath.

"In The Sunday Age’s view, this case signals the need for a review of sentencing in relation to the charge of manslaughter. The government readily legislated for mandatory, minimum sentences of 10 years for one-punch killings. It is time now for a comprehensive review of sentences relating to manslaughter and assault stemming from family violence."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...se-shows-need-for-review-20190420-p51fui.html

It just gobsmacks me that the judge came up with 6 years before parole. Only 6 years!.. on that scale, using the same measurements, a bloke who 'accidentally ' throttles his wife, and then sits down , has a cup of tea, then rings the police would be up for no more than 18 months. If that. ..

I can't work out what he got such huge discounts for. He didn't get her any medical help once he 'accidentally' tripped her up and fell on her with his fingers cramped around her throat. He , himself declared himself a doctor by pronouncing death. No one knows if Karen was dead or alive when he buried her, only Borce's guess.

He interfered with her corpse. He declared himself a coroner and decided Karen was ready for burial. He buried her in unconsecrated ground, and unlawful ground for burial of human remains. ..

And this is just for starters.

He immediately, and relentlessly perverted the course of justice, and this is where my suspicion of Sarah comes into play, when did she know that it was all an accident, that Dad did it, even though he's such a nice bloke and all that nonsense , and still decide to heap *advertiser censored* on and lie to the police and about the police?

Sarah says, she wants that sort of marriage for herself, and the chances are, she may well get her wish, if men who murder their wives can get such consideration from the courts.. it will become the common scenario. .. What's 6 years?.. nothin. Anyone can do 6 years, in a Victorian prison. Anyone at all. Even Cardinals.

Baden-Clay will be hating his solicitors right now.

Life as opposed to 6 years, Qld v Victoria?

Well Victoria is coming up trumps as the laughing stock of Australia’s judicial system.
It’s consistently in the news for this schit, just take a look at it’s pathetic history.

If you can’t house your crims I’m sure all the other states should take them but don’t let murderers walk so soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam