Maywood, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA
DEATH 6 May 2014 (aged 87)
Putnam County, Georgia, USA
BURIAL
Eatonton Memorial Park
Eatonton, Putnam County, Georgia, USA
MEMORIAL ID 129892189 · View Source

SUGGEST EDITS
Mrs. Shirley Wilcox Dermond, Age 87, of Eatonton, passed away.
Funeral Services will be Private.
from: Williams Funeral Home, Eatonton, GA, @http://www.williamsfuneralhome.net/obituaries/Shirley-Dermond/#!/Obituary:

Seems there was no 'public' memorial, other than the one held by the church, which the fam did *not* attend.. and any funeral services were performed 'privately'. Guess they didn't want to share any memories or grief with any of the couple's friends, nor allow them to express their condolences in person to the family?

Seems there was no 'public' memorial, other than the one held by the church, which the fam did *not* attend.. and any funeral services were performed 'privately'. Guess they didn't want to share any memories or grief with any of the couple's friends, nor allow them to express their condolences in person to the family?
I got it wrong, the family did not attend the "vigil" not did not attend the funeral. They did attend the funeral, right?
yeah, ,private ceremony in Eatonton and laid to rest there unless they did have them cremated, not sure, they can still have a plot for them

All the friends they had in the area weren't able to attend, how sad........glad they did the vigil

There's no reason to believe that the two died at different times from each other, so who exactly would the killer be extorting? There was no ransom request or anything..

There's also really nothing to suggest that RD was shot in the head, other than SS's say-so that a bit of GSR was found on RD's shirt, which was not mentioned in the autopsy report in the description of the clothing. I know from following another case that GSR can linger sometimes, even after laundering.

I wonder why it doesn't seem to occur to SS that the killer(s) may have deliberately staged something other than how it really was, JUST to keep him off track, ie by decapitating, by taking one, by supposedly trying to make SD disappear, by making it seem like it was a spur of the moment thing, using whatever items were found around. Leave him thinking, who would DO that, when meanwhile, maybe it's the most common reason, simply staged to trick him into believing something different.

I do tend to think this was all staged/ carried out to purposefully confuse people. Kind of like throwing money or valuables every which way when someone tries to mug you. (Which way to go, what to do now, original plan no longer makes sense, etc). Not that murderers generally like to leave telling clues- but the erratic inconsistent way they left things in this case is unusual IMO.

In this case, the weirder and more scattered the perps make the murders, the less likely the most assumed motive and suspects would be. It’s all so disjointed- beheading, found in the garage, wife found in lake days later, nothing messed up in the house, etc. Much TOO disjointed IMO and points very directly (again, MOO) towards it being staged to lead people away from Occam’s Razor so to speak.

I think this was carefully planned, and carried out to confuse people.

All MOO.

Yikes sorry about the triple post earlier! I was in the mountains and phone said no service and it wouldn’t post... then posted 3x! Oops.

I just can’t get my head around the timing. Everything points to the perps arriving at the home in the morning sometime (on Sat.). But no one saw anything and yet somehow the perps got SD into a boat and into the lake... surely at night. What happened all day long? If the perps were at the house with the D’s all day, how did they not leave a trace (that we know of)? What were they doing? And how did they know no one would stop by or that the D’s weren’t expected somewhere that would raise alarms if they didn’t show? I believe that SD was killed first, in front of RD, and that’s how he got the cut on his hand and her hair on his hands - he was trying to stop it. But we don’t think this happened in the house (not enough blood). Where then? A boat? Wouldn’t he yell out if outside, and someone on the lake would hear? Maybe his mouth was taped and that’s part of the reason the head was taken. IDK!! Ugh.

Thursday she was at Bridge club, He was seen at publix
Her Saturdays magazine with crossword, that arrives on Fridays, was worked
Email correspondence on Friday, evening(?)
Their stomachs were empty (no breakfast? no Supper?)
They didnt attend Derby party
NO phone calls answered when friends call after Saturday
Several days newspapers in yard/box on Tuesday (? several per SS..Sun Mon,TUes?)
Early in the investigation there was talk of the neighbors lawn maintenance hearing loud voices or voices next door

Tape can be removed, wouldn't want to leave tape behind it can leave prints or dna

Yikes sorry about the triple post earlier! I was in the mountains and phone said no service and it wouldn’t post... then posted 3x! Oops.

I just can’t get my head around the timing. Everything points to the perps arriving at the home in the morning sometime (on Sat.). But no one saw anything and yet somehow the perps got SD into a boat and into the lake... surely at night. What happened all day long? If the perps were at the house with the D’s all day, how did they not leave a trace (that we know of)? What were they doing? And how did they know no one would stop by or that the D’s weren’t expected somewhere that would raise alarms if they didn’t show? I believe that SD was killed first, in front of RD, and that’s how he got the cut on his hand and her hair on his hands - he was trying to stop it. But we don’t think this happened in the house (not enough blood). Where then? A boat? Wouldn’t he yell out if outside, and someone on the lake would hear? Maybe his mouth was taped and that’s part of the reason the head was taken. IDK!! Ugh.

You just brought up something I missed. Their stomachs were empty. I just checked the autopsy reports and that’s correct. So, did someone invade the home first thing in the morning, after Shirley was dressed and before she had time to eat? Someone who knew that maybe one of the first things they did was turn the alarm system off (SS said in an article I saw somewhere that the alarm system was functional but was not trapped that weekend, and Brad Dermond said his parents set it at night)? Or, perhaps Friday evening, before SD had a chance to get ready for bed? How long does it take to digest dinner?

You just brought up something I missed. Their stomachs were empty. I just checked the autopsy reports and that’s correct. So, did someone invade the home first thing in the morning, after Shirley was dressed and before she had time to eat? Someone who knew that maybe one of the first things they did was turn the alarm system off (SS said in an article I saw somewhere that the alarm system was functional but was not trapped that weekend, and Brad Dermond said his parents set it at night)? Or, perhaps Friday evening, before SD had a chance to get ready for bed? How long does it take to digest dinner?
IIRC< 6-8 hours, If they had an early brunch, betweent breakfast and lunch time say at 11 am friday.........enough time would have passed to have empty stomachs it was after she started the puzzle late afternoon ,but they'd have to be not snacking and had a light brunch.......RD was in his boxers and robe, D still dressed

It would not put them arriving under darkness though, in May it gets dark around 8-9 pm i guess.........so they would have arrived by day if they hadnt eaten supper at 5ish, like most their age do anyway

So its so iffy, I think it was early saturday morning by darkness, hung around til dark to get rid of her

However it would have been easy to load her into a car at the garage but if anyone was next door in the yard maintenance or housesitter or maid, could have witnessed the car

They went to great lengths to avoid being detected or leaving DNA behind at the scene and hiding RD's death for a time to get away

I think it was saturday am, someone could have been dropped off by boat right before sunrise maybe?? IDK

Crazy no one saw a THING

I do think now since I believe RD had DNA of the killers on him or in his mouth that cant be wiped away they had to take his head

Philip Holloway stated that because RD had GSR On his collar doesnt necessarily mean he was shot, he could have been simply hit with the butt of the gun, GSR lingers on things and is easily transferable I have read......if not then IDK

BUt i think it was Kay74 who said that SD was dumped becuase she had the killers dna all over her

I now belive that was the key to his beheading and her being dumped and of course the perps wanted to get that 48hr window or more to get away and for any evidence to be destroyed by water...........so they didnt care if she was found, they just didnt want her found right away

WHO GOES TO SUCH GREAT LENGTHS TO AVOID DETECTION??

Not a psycho killer or robber.............this is the only thing that makes sense and it WAS MOST LIKELY A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND

I dont believe anyone was that angry at the Dermonds, it just looked that way because someone got in a pinch with dna at the crime scene and had to get rid of it

The towels under his left arm daming the blood and I think it was mentioned they had tried to clean up some blood but just smeared it on the floor basically.........this tells me the beheading was not intended

Hey Peony..........I used to think so but my last post explains my recent thoughts. The hustle to clean up the blood led me to believe it was all REACTIVE instead of PROACTIVE...........when they messed up they had to try to fix it .

Maybe the reason as SS put it, "For every professional thing there is something equally UNPRofessional about the crime scene

For no DNA to be at the crime scene, they got rid of it by taking his head and dumping her body as Kay74 said.........

all gone, head far far away.....

The first 2 suspects when SS and detectives saw the crime scene was WIfe and Family...............

Today, there has been no other suspects we know of.........but that's interesting to me...........

SO FAR EVERYONE IN THE WORLD CONNECTED TO THEM HAVE BEEN CLEARED

so i guess no one killed the Dermonds

something is being overlooked

I do tend to think this was all staged/ carried out to purposefully confuse people. Kind of like throwing money or valuables every which way when someone tries to mug you. (Which way to go, what to do now, original plan no longer makes sense, etc). Not that murderers generally like to leave telling clues- but the erratic inconsistent way they left things in this case is unusual IMO.

In this case, the weirder and more scattered the perps make the murders, the less likely the most assumed motive and suspects would be. It’s all so disjointed- beheading, found in the garage, wife found in lake days later, nothing messed up in the house, etc. Much TOO disjointed IMO and points very directly (again, MOO) towards it being staged to lead people away from Occam’s Razor so to speak.

I think this was carefully planned, and carried out to confuse people.

All MOO.

IIRC< 6-8 hours, If they had an early brunch, betweent breakfast and lunch time say at 11 am friday.........enough time would have passed to have empty stomachs it was after she started the puzzle late afternoon ,but they'd have to be not snacking and had a light brunch.......RD was in his boxers and robe, D still dressed

It would not put them arriving under darkness though, in May it gets dark around 8-9 pm i guess.........so they would have arrived by day if they hadnt eaten supper at 5ish, like most their age do anyway

So its so iffy, I think it was early saturday morning by darkness, hung around til dark to get rid of her

However it would have been easy to load her into a car at the garage but if anyone was next door in the yard maintenance or housesitter or maid, could have witnessed the car

They went to great lengths to avoid being detected or leaving DNA behind at the scene and hiding RD's death for a time to get away

I think it was saturday am, someone could have been dropped off by boat right before sunrise maybe?? IDK

Crazy no one saw a THING

I do think now since I believe RD had DNA of the killers on him or in his mouth that cant be wiped away they had to take his head

Philip Holloway stated that because RD had GSR On his collar doesnt necessarily mean he was shot, he could have been simply hit with the butt of the gun, GSR lingers on things and is easily transferable I have read......if not then IDK

BUt i think it was Kay74 who said that SD was dumped becuase she had the killers dna all over her

I now belive that was the key to his beheading and her being dumped and of course the perps wanted to get that 48hr window or more to get away and for any evidence to be destroyed by water...........so they didnt care if she was found, they just didnt want her found right away

Not a psycho killer or robber.............this is the only thing that makes sense and it WAS MOST LIKELY A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND

I dont believe anyone was that angry at the Dermonds, it just looked that way because someone got in a pinch with dna at the crime scene and had to get rid of it

The towels under his left arm daming the blood and I think it was mentioned they had tried to clean up some blood but just smeared it on the floor basically.........this tells me the beheading was not intended
I tend to agree - family member or friend. And I think it was someone who was familiar with the lake, and the area in general.
Really, just the craziest case. I can’t even settle on one coherent theory!

Haha I know what to mean, I have been like that for 4 years, although, every time I would cime back to the same thing, someone close to them

I feel more confident about my latest theory posts now tho.... Until we are fed another small MORSEL By SS, it could change again haha

Have a great day!
I tend to agree - family member or friend. And I think it was someone who was familiar with the lake, and the area in general.
Really, just the craziest case. I can’t even settle on one coherent theory!

I didn’t realize, or had forgotten, there were no memorial services for the Dermonds. Do we know if they had requested this, or was it left up to the surviving family?

IF, this had happened to my elderly parents, and they had not left funeral instructions, I believe I would have had a service. I would have been distraught, and needed the comfort of friends, family, and well wishers, that a service/memorial would have provided. Shortly after the service, and up until the time of apprehension of the perps, I would have parked myself at the sheriff’s office, and done everything in my power to solve this horrific crime.

IMHO

SS hints that he has evidence that has not been disclosed. He also hints that lead one to suspect he knows who committed these heinous murders, but doesn’t have the evidence to arrest them. IMO.

Wonder if SS has shared this information with anyone else? What if he passed away? Who would know what he suspects?

This is not wishing him bad luck at all. It is concern for the information he possesses regarding the Dermonds and seeking justice for them.

Crazy no one saw a THING

You hit it right on the head. (no pun intended).No DNA. This all makes perfect sense.

Hey wilde.......according to KD, he said they wanted to be cremated adn ashes spread in lake oconee but that he ALMOST Didnt feel that was appropriate anymore

but IDK other than what he said

YOUR humble opinion is the same as mine!

I didn’t realize, or had forgotten, there were no memorial services for the Dermonds. Do we know if they had requested this, or was it left up to the surviving family?

IF, this had happened to my elderly parents, and they had not left funeral instructions, I believe I would have had a service. I would have been distraught, and needed the comfort of friends, family, and well wishers, that a service/memorial would have provided. Shortly after the service, and up until the time of apprehension of the perps, I would have parked myself at the sheriff’s office, and done everything in my power to solve this horrific crime.

IMHO

You hit it right on the head. (no pun intended).No DNA. This all makes perfect sense.
WE DID! It does doesnt it!? I was so focused on RD then you said it about SD in the lake. I had come to the point that they just dumped her for some reason but didnt care if she was found...........DNA GONE< she's found, NO PROBLEM, his head gone, no dna, NO PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak