Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have a feeling that USC's reputation has dramatically suffered? I have a feeling that talented students are going to pass on taking offers from USC. It's going to take USC a few years to recover from this embarrassing scandal.
I think the reputations of all the universities involved have suffered. I do however think they can and will recover. If Penn state can recover from it's horrific child sex abuse scandal than I guess anything is possible.

Does anyone else have a feeling that USC's reputation has dramatically suffered? I have a feeling that talented students are going to pass on taking offers from USC. It's going to take USC a few years to recover from this embarrassing scandal.
I actually think the opposite - that this almost elevated USC's status. Like, who knew people would pay $500,000 to get into USC?? I guess my perception would have been these parents would scam/cheat/lie/bribe their way into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. But USC? Really???? I had no idea it was just so in demand or considered so elite to get into. I think this actually helped its reputation in a perverse way. College football powerhouse - maybe. Nothing wrong with the school, but would not have registered on my radar in terms of academic prestige.

I worked in college sports for a long time in my previous career life, not at USC, but during the Reggie Bush days, and frankly nothing about USC athletics being involved in some kind of "scandal" is very shocking or earth shattering to me. Fake crew team coxswain admissions barely a blip after some of the major corrupt NCAA things that happen. I think the school will be fine. Imo.

All I can say is this is going to be one he77 of a rude awakening for many. Not such a bad thing IMO. Time to prioritize as to what is important in life. It will be most interesting to see if any learn from this or be destroyed by their own actions. Sadly.

Last edited:
Prosecutors want to bust more parents in admissions scandal
By Ruth Brown April 19, 2019 | 4:27pm

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/prosecutors-want-to-bust-more-parents-in-admissions-scandal/

Prosecutors are looking to make more busts in the nationwide college admissions scam, according to a new report.

Sources tell the LA Times that federal prosecutors from Boston have been in Los Angeles this week asking around about students whose parents were not arrested in the scandal last month, when the feds collared dozens of rich moms and dads for allegedly bribing their kids’ way into top schools.

The attorneys are in town to get more information for their current cases — but also to build new ones, sources tell the outlet.

All I can say is this is going to be one he77 of a rude awakening for many. Not such a bad thing IMO. Time to prioritize as to what is important in life. It will be most interesting to see if any learn from this or be destroyed by their own actions. Sadly.

I do worry about the decline of - the fear of authority- laws in place.
Seems it (authority) gets labeled anything but what it actually IS...a LAW
a rule for ALL.
JMO

Last edited:
I do worry about the decline of - the fear of authority- laws in place.
Seems it (authority) gets labeled anything but what it actually IS...a LAW
a rule for ALL.
JMO

The rich rarely have the same laws applied to them. They have fabulous lawyers. White collar crime gets them better prisons.

Poor and middle class people cannot afford topnotch lawyers.

Think of the Dupont heir that abused his toddler but the judge said that he would not be able to tolerate prison.

And Ethan Couch .

And look at the millions that Michael Cohen got away with. If he had been a poor person who wrote bad checks his sentence would have been far longer

Prosecutors want to bust more parents in admissions scandal
By Ruth Brown April 19, 2019 | 4:27pm

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/prosecutors-want-to-bust-more-parents-in-admissions-scandal/

Prosecutors are looking to make more busts in the nationwide college admissions scam, according to a new report.

Sources tell the LA Times that federal prosecutors from Boston have been in Los Angeles this week asking around about students whose parents were not arrested in the scandal last month, when the feds collared dozens of rich moms and dads for allegedly bribing their kids’ way into top schools.

The attorneys are in town to get more information for their current cases — but also to build new ones, sources tell the outlet.

Maybe some of the folks looking at long prison sentences are selling their souls for reduced sentences.

Dang, just when I thought I could buy my way onto the putt-putt team. Well, there goes my chance at my doctorate.

Maybe some of the folks looking at long prison sentences are selling their souls for reduced sentences.

Dang, just when I thought I could buy my way onto the putt-putt team. Well, there goes my chance at my doctorate.

Dang! You are right! Maybe we can team up, skip USC, try other schools?

Anybody know about a university Trivia Team? Crime Club? Oh, wait, that would be genuine.

Probably should just stay with M.ED., here. :rolleyes:

Dang! You are right! Maybe we can team up, skip USC, try other schools?

Anybody know about a university Trivia Team? Crime Club? Oh, wait, that would be genuine.

Probably should just stay with M.ED., here. :rolleyes:
Crime Club! Maybe we should start a scholarship for student sleuthers, lol. :)

(Just kidding....not seriously looking to collect money from anyone - just making sure you all know that.)

Crime Club! Maybe we should start a scholarship for student sleuthers, lol. :)

(Just kidding....not seriously looking to collect money from anyone - just making sure you all know that.)

Hey, count me in. Now days you can open a Not for Profit for almost any reason.

Crime Scholarships.... For those wishing to major in sleuthing, promoting justice for all.

Oh heck, lets go all the way, set up our own on line university. We have a whole site of the best teachers available.

Last edited:
Felicity Huffman could serve time at home instead of prison after college bribery scam guilty plea | Daily Mail Online

Louis Shapiro, a federal defense attorney in Los Angeles, told the LA Times he believes Huffman's lawyers can easily argue her crimes aren't the kind worthy of prison.

'She was first out the gate to take responsibility and will be handsomely rewarded for it, especially if the other defendants drag their feet, which [we’re] beginning to see,' Shapiro said.

Is this like home school?

Now suddenly it's all the husband's fault? I don't think so, imo. Sounds like just rumor/chatter.

Tensions rise in Lori Loughlin’s marriage after admissions scandal

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/20/tens...655.448379992.1554653090-592266791.1547771259

Back home, Loughlin’s inner circle pins the scandal on Giannulli.

“Everyone feels bad for her. They think the situation was something concocted by her husband,” a second Us Weekly source said. “Her friends don’t like him.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member