CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Ranch manager, manger of a ranch, just plain manger....it's not hard to read between the lines. He's not under anyone except the owners. General Manager is just terminology.

Yes I think most of here with any connection to the corporate world are familiar with the title of General Manager. So I was just curious why the need to change his title from Ranch Manager, which is what has been reported.

In Alberta or anywhere where there’s still snow “up there” it’s because the greater the elevation, the lower the temperature and if it’s not meeting, it’s still below zero Celsius. Otherwise when it’s below zero, it snows, gets warmer and the snow melts and so forth throughout the entire winter. So yes, members may have stated it had snowed. But the ground entirely snow covered Jan 26/27th? An 11C day (52F) in Merritt, any snow would be rapidly melting.

I’m curious if the mountain bike trails are on or near Swakum Ridge because if so, it appears to be an accessible area for off-road traffic, whether bike or horseback, maybe quading.

I'm still not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Police have indicated that they have reason to believe that someone drove Ben/Gunny to a specific are to search for stray cattle and if that is the case, a recreational trail would not be suitable for a truck & trailer.

Are you suggesting that the RCMP are not conducting a proper investigation or are you simply attempting to discredit firsthand knowledge for entertainment value?

Yes I think most of here with any connection to the corporate world are familiar with the title of General Manager. So I was just curious why the need to change his title from Ranch Manager, which is what has been reported.
MSM articles are using various titles for him. All of which I listed, and have seen including manger of ranch, ranch manger, manger and general manger. I still believe, just terminology. Probably due to the journalist writing the article.

Nothing wrong with being curious. The threads here are full of that emotion/behavior.

Ranch manager, manger of a ranch, just plain manger....it's not hard to read between the lines. He's not under anyone except the owners. General Manager is just terminology.

I’m not interested in word games. I want Ben’s murderer behind bars & justice for his family. By all accounts Ben was one in a million.
Idk why we can no longer discuss the case without bickering & harassment. We are all entitled to our opinion based on our interpretation of events. Mine is & shall remain Ben would be here had he not accepted the GM position with NR.

Happy Trails Ben Tyner

I'm still not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Police have indicated that they have reason to believe that someone drove Ben/Gunny to a specific are to search for stray cattle and if that is the case, a recreational trail would not be suitable for a truck & trailer.

Are you suggesting that the RCMP are not conducting a proper investigation or are you simply attempting to discredit firsthand knowledge for entertainment value?
I was just thinking tomorrow is Easter, the first major holiday for Ben’s family w/o Ben. His mom seems like the type that would send him goodies & worry about him being alone on a holiday. I sincerely hope they are doing well.
Idk why, but seeing them at the press conference tore at my heart.
To qualify my post, this is my opinion.

The point I’m trying to make is we know what police believed early on but they haven’t kept us totally in the loop with their investigation, the way it has to be. Active investigations are fluid as police learn new information. For example immediately after the riderless horse was found, LE indicated Ben was last seen on Saturday at 2pm. If Ben was going out riding at 2pm searching for stray cattle to Swakum Ridge, due to that late hour, might they believe he didn’t ride from the ranch? But then a few more days and that changed as his whereabouts was indeed known Saturday night. At that point they also said:

“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.”
Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance

Notice it says they believe he went out on horseback, but no mention whatsoever of a truck and trailer or a search for cattle.

Reading various theories here, the truck and trailer all involved that Sat 2pm sighting. But as his whereabouts were known Sat night, then what? Exactly the same thing must’ve happened on Sunday as Saturday even though the time and day have changed? IMO when information changes it’s a good time to re-examine theories and consider different possibilities.

ETA - even though police said they believed he went out on horseback Sunday, I have not seen media reports anywhere stating they think only the horse was transported by truck and trailer from NR (without Ben) to the logging road. That is only a theory here on WS, is it not?

Last edited:
The point I’m trying to make is we know what police believed early on but they haven’t kept us in the loop with their investigation. Investigations are fluid as police learn new information. For example immediately after the riderless horse was found, LE indicated Ben was last seen on Saturday at 2pm. If Ben was going out riding at 2pm searching for stray cattle to Swakum Ridge, due to that late hour, might they believe he didn’t ride from the ranch? But then a few more days and that changed as his whereabouts were known Saturday night. At that point they said:

“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.”

Notice it says they believe he went out on horseback, but no mention whatsoever of a truck and trailer or a search for cattle.

That simply tells me the investigation has evolved but as they gained information and very early on, they stated that the believed someone trailered Ben and Gunny up to the area.

That still doesn't explain a vigorous debate with a local over current snow conditions at higher elevations or doggedly insisting that a rider, who doesn't seem to have ridden out at all needed to use bike trails for a ride he seemingly didn't take.

I don't feel that the police are typically in the habit of keeping the general public in the loop unless they have a compelling reason to do so, such as ask for information.

I’m not interested in word games. I want Ben’s murderer behind bars & justice for his family. By all accounts Ben was one in a million.
Idk why we can no longer discuss the case without bickering & harassment. We are all entitled to our opinion based on our interpretation of events. Mine is & shall remain Ben would be here had he not accepted the GM position with NR.

Happy Trails Ben Tyner

Hold up, do you think he was murdered? He's not been found and I wonder if he had a medical emergency ie a heart attack or a stroke or something along those lines. Also, are there bobcats and bears? Maybe he was attacked and the horse would have reared spooked and thrown him. What did he do in his spare time?

That simply tells me the investigation has evolved but as they gained information and very early on, they stated that the believed someone trailered Ben and Gunny up to the area.

That still doesn't explain a vigorous debate with a local over current snow conditions at higher elevations or doggedly insisting that a rider, who doesn't seem to have ridden out at all needed to use bike trails for a ride he seemingly didn't take.

I don't feel that the police are typically in the habit of keeping the general public in the loop unless they have a compelling reason to do so, such as ask for information.

That police believe “Ben went out on horseback Sunday” is a clear indication they have reason to think he went riding somewhere that day. I don’t know why there’d be any dispute about that, snow or no snow.

Further to that update, if police still believed Ben travelled by truck and trailer to go out riding, then what’s your theory?

Last edited:
That police believe “Ben went out on horseback Sunday” is a clear indication they have reason to think he went riding somewhere that day. I don’t know why there’d be any dispute about that, snow or no snow.

Further to that update, if police still believed Ben travelled by truck and trailer to go out riding, then what’s your theory?
Article From January 30, 2019 (Last Updated January 31, 2019)

~~snip~~

"At this point, RCMP say they have determined Tyner would've likely left on Sunday, however it's still not known how he got into the backcountry.

"We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

BBM

It appears we are rehashing information previously rehashed. IMO we need to move on. JMO of course.

ETA Link to Article

Last edited:
@Jim_M
This link might be the one you referenced:
Mystery of missing Merritt cowboy deepens as search continues amid plunging temperatures
No one reported seeing Ben on Sunday. The 2 pm ride (if it really took place) on Saturday means little, since LE know Ben’s whereabouts Saturday evening. No tracks indicate Ben left the ranch on horseback Sunday.
What happened to Ben Saturday night - Sunday is the unknown.
It is my opinion Ben was either home on his computer /phone, or enjoying a Saturday night out with friends. If out with friends, did he ever make it into his house Saturday night, after arriving home?
All of us can reach our own conclusion as to what happened. I have & I will not be swayed.
Moo

Last edited:
@Jim_M
This link might be the one you referenced:
Mystery of missing Merritt cowboy deepens as search continues amid plunging temperatures

No one reported seeing Ben on Sunday. The 2 pm ride (if it really took place) on Saturday means little, since LE know Ben’s whereabouts Saturday evening. No tracks indicate Ben left the ranch on horseback Sunday.
What happened to Ben Saturday-Sunday is the unknown.
It is my opinion Ben was either home on his computer /phone, or enjoying a Saturday night out with friends. If out with friends, did he ever make it into his house Saturday night, after arriving home?
Sorry, I added the link from a few posts above mine. I thought I had it in a quoted reply. Weird. It's there now :)

Last edited:
Disappearance of B.C. cowboy Ben Tyner 'likely' criminal, say RCMP

“Initially, there was nothing that was definitive in determining that it was criminally related — just out of character. But now, after putting all the pieces of the puzzle together … the investigators in the Southeast District can now say that they believe that Mr. Tyner did not go missing of his own volition. It is suspicious and likely, there’s some criminality related to his disappearance.”

Article From January 30, 2019 (Last Updated January 31, 2019)

~~snip~~

"At this point, RCMP say they have determined Tyner would've likely left on Sunday, however it's still not known how he got into the backcountry.

"We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

BBM

It appears we are rehashing information previously rehashed. IMO we need to move on. JMO of course.

Did you read the full update? Its very informative. I welcome any suggestions where we can move on to given it’s the most recent update other than news of the recent ground search at NR.

For example, what was the reason for this search area?
“The search area is currently about a 15-kilometre radius north of Merritt in the area between Highway 97C and the Coquihalla.”

RCMP resume search for missing cowboy - Merritt Herald
Merritt RCMP, in partnership with the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU), have resumed the search for Ben Tyner.
Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald
“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”

I find it odd to keep going over and over and over old information before they discovered foul play. Obviously things changed when they got new information. JMO

Disappearance of B.C. cowboy Ben Tyner 'likely' criminal, say RCMP

“Initially, there was nothing that was definitive in determining that it was criminally related — just out of character. But now, after putting all the pieces of the puzzle together … the investigators in the Southeast District can now say that they believe that Mr. Tyner did not go missing of his own volition. It is suspicious and likely, there’s some criminality related to his disappearance.”

This is the basis of my present theory - it was the location where the horse was found that caused suspicion in relation to where it was believed Ben went out riding to on the Sunday.

After attacking Ben in the backcountry, the perp wasn’t able to capture the horse and she blindly fled still fully tacked up, finding her way cross country to the logging road (depending on a possible route and the distance) - or the horse was transported to the perps property and she escaped while being unloaded. Either way it wasn’t intended she be found. Where Ben’s body is, could be virtually anywhere. JMO

This is the basis of my present theory - it was the location where the horse was found that caused suspicion in relation to where it was believed Ben went out riding to on the Sunday.

After attacking Ben in the backcountry, the perp wasn’t able to capture the horse and she blindly fled still fully tacked up, finding her way cross country to the logging road (depending on a possible route and the distance) - or the horse was transported to the perps property and she escaped while being unloaded. Either way it wasn’t intended she be found. Where Ben’s body is, could be virtually anywhere. JMO

In your present theory, there is nothing at all related to anything going on/happening at the NR Ranch. What in the LE investigation has led you to believe everything happened in the backcountry?

You have right to your opinion (theory) and you could be correct..

My theory was horse was planted in location it was found to make look like a riding accident, based on weather conditions and where horse was found. Had this opinion every since I first heard about him going missing. JMO (I could be wrong)

My theory was horse was planted in location it was found to make look like a riding accident, based on weather conditions and where horse was found. Had this opinion every since I first heard about him going missing. JMO (I could be wrong)

Ita, hence the search of feed yard & compost area.
My theory is this will end at the starting point.
My horse could be tacked, tied to a fence, break loose & be found riderless, it would not mean I ever rode her.
This is like finding a stolen car, dropped in a desolate area to steer the investigation away from where it needs to be.

Ita, hence the search of feed yard & compost area.
My theory is this will end at the starting point.
My horse could be tacked, tied to a fence, break loose & be found riderless, it would not mean I ever rode her.
This is like finding a stolen car, dropped in a desolate area to steer the investigation away from where it needs to be.

I agree and feel it was done to draw the investigation away from the ranch. I'd be curious as to who told police that Ben was going out to look for strays.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back