Identified! SD - Pierre, WhtMale 30-50, UP11646, poss MT connection, "Jason's clothing", buckle w/L , Jul'76 - Stephen Earl Boice

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11646

Date found: July 31, 1976

Age 30-50, about 145 lbs and 65 inches tall, had been dead for days and was not recognizable when found.

body found floating in the river just east of Pierre near a campground.

He was found near Farm Island, in the Missouri River, in Pierre, SD.

He had blonde/strawberry hair (receding hairline), gray eyes.

Clothing:

J Alwes and sons (Billings, MT) western suit coat - Whimanhatton size 16 1/2 shirt - 32 X 29 brown Hart Shaeffer trousers - 36 Hickock black belt NOTE-also noted in initial LE report name on jacket "Jason's clothing", size 11 brown ankle shoe, gold and white belt buckle with initial L.

Yes Fingerprints and dental, No DNA.

attachment.php

There's also a picture of the tags on NamUs but it won't let me upload it here :(

Attachments

• UP_16646.jpg
    UP_16646.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 421
That's so awesome!

I just emailed them about where they sold their suits in the 70s. If it's just Billings, we know he probably was there at some point.

Good find!
My dad bought his good suit there in the 1970s...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Here's a map showing the area of Billings MT and Pierre SD. There's a whole lot of open land (farming, grazing, wilderness) in between the two points. Also, there's a lot of Native American reservations.

https://goo.gl/maps/MzV8Ucdi8Nu

This is zoomed in on Farm Island, which is a recreation area: https://goo.gl/maps/jNrHviZurWM2 The town of Pierre is to the left of the red marker. The campground is toward the top and the Missouri River is toward the bottom. Notice that Farm "Island" is not really an island, it's more of a peninsula. If he really was found floating near the campground, that makes it unlikely he was carried there by the currents.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11646

Clothing:

J Alwes and sons (Billings, MT) western suit coat - Whimanhatton size 16 1/2 shirt - 32 X 29 brown Hart Shaeffer trousers - 36 Hickock black belt NOTE-also noted in initial LE report name on jacket "Jason's clothing", size 11 brown ankle shoe, gold and white belt buckle with initial L.

There's also a picture of the tags on NamUs but it won't let me upload it here (

(snipped)

This guy is quite well dressed. Good brands, not necessarily expensive. Kind of nice for camping.

"Alwes" is "Alweis," per the Jason's website. The "i" is very hard to see on the tag.

I think "Whimanhatton" shirt is probably supposed to be "White Manhattan" shirt, which a style of long-sleeved men's dress shirt.

I couldn't find any Hart Schaeffer clothing, but there is Hart Schaffner (and Marx), who are known for high quality dress slacks.

Hickok belt and buckle: some photos of their various styles here. Without a picture or more detailed description, I can't narrow it down. https://www.etsy.com/market/hickok_belt

FWIW Billings was a very rough and tumble city back in the 1970s. (I have older friends who worked and lived in that region.)

Maybe this guy was a trucker. Just my guess.

Current exclusions The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs):

MP13556 Bobby Clyatt 07/12/1964 Union FL

MP3868 Jack Girou 06/11/1975 St. Louis MO

MP2797 Joseph Halpern 08/15/1933 Larimer CO

MP19897 John Heflin 11/21/1968 Oktibbeha MS

MP1752 Christopher King 08/02/1974 San Bernardino CA

MP8386 Gary Mullinax 05/09/1976 Pulaski AR

MP16959 Howard Veillette Sr 04/01/1974 Honolulu HI

I could not find a thread for this John Doe who was found floating in the Missouri River near Pierre, SD in 1976.
Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number50073-3
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range (Years) 30-50
Estimated Year of Death 1976
Estimated PMIDays
Height 5' 5"(65 inches) , Estimated
Weight 145 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body Found July 31, 1976
NamUs Case Created October 3, 2013
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
Location Pierre, South Dakota
County Hughes County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Recovery body found floating in the river just east of Pierre near a campground.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Physical Description
Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Head Hair Descriptionreceding hairline
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Gray
Right Eye Color Gray
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
J Alwes and sons (Billings, MT) western suit coat - Whimanhatton size 16 1/2 shirt - 32 X 29 brown Hart Shaeffer trousers - 36 Hickock black belt NOTE-also noted in initial LE report name on jacket "Jason's clothing"
On the Body

Footwear
size 11 brown ankle shoe
On the Body

Jewelry
gold and white belt buckle with initial L
On the Body

Getting DNA for this case would certainly be a good step. I wonder how that could be accomplished. I do wonder if they thought he was carried there by the currents or if he had some connection to the camp ground/Farm Island. But he had been dead in the water for days in the summer when people would be around there so I think perhaps he may have been noticed before he was if he wasn't carried by the Missouri River from some other place? It makes you wonder. And his clothes don't seem really for camping or recreation, either.

Interesting that the article calls him a fisherman, I wonder what about him indicated that?

That headline may have just been the journalist who wrote the article's guess or the guess of the fisherman who found him. But it could also be a typo and it was actually meant to read something like "Fisherman finds body in Missouri". Such things have been known to happen. That was my first thought on reading that headline. It doesn't sound like he was dressed for fishing. Maybe where they found him made people assume he had been a fisherman?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back