GUILTY TX - Andreen McDonald, 29, found deceased, Bexar County, 1 Mar 2019 *husband arrested*

This is the last thing this child needs I would think.

My thought is if Andreen had her mother as the child's caregiver and trusted in that, she would want the child with her mother as she trusted her mother to be the main caregiver of an autistic child. That says quite a bit I feel.

I am a bit at a loss as to why they are in the family home--I take that to mean the McDonald home? He may be charged with tampering with evidence, but it surprises me they can keep his home from him and/or that they have rights to it on behalf of the child? I am totally confused on that one. He is not even charged with murder nor has she probably even been declared dead legally. He has also not been convicted of anything. I wish he was but the fact remains he has not been so how is it they have rights to the home?

Is he fighting for his daughter as well (the husband/child's father/suspected perp)? He is named as a defendant but none of the article states he is represented nor trying to maintain custody of his own child. What does that say?

If the two grandparents are purely concerned for the child and her welfare, after what this child has been through, one would hope they could work something out, however, it is clear the grandmother has been involved in her daily life and worked at the home run by Andreen as well. Sometimes things cannot be worked out depending on the motives of each. The grandmother again was clearly involved in daily life with her daughter and granddaughter, therefore I think the child would be more comfortable with her. As far as assets, I would hope and think there is something that can be done to ensure they are protected for the child and her needs.

The one thing that stands out to me is the grandmother was okay with her ex and wife living in the home because they were all grieving, yet he gave her not one hint he was going to challenge for custody.

In reading between the lines, I do not like that.

Based on the little we know and my opinion is subject to change based on more information but that is my two cents worth at this time and jmo.

This is the last thing this child needs I would think.

My thought is if Andreen had her mother as the child's caregiver and trusted in that, she would want the child with her mother as she trusted her mother to be the main caregiver of an autistic child. That says quite a bit I feel.

I am a bit at a loss as to why they are in the family home--I take that to mean the McDonald home? He may be charged with tampering with evidence, but it surprises me they can keep his home from him and/or that they have rights to it on behalf of the child? I am totally confused on that one. He is not even charged with murder nor has she probably even been declared dead legally. He has also not been convicted of anything. I wish he was but the fact remains he has not been so how is it they have rights to the home?

Is he fighting for his daughter as well (the husband/child's father/suspected perp)? He is named as a defendant but none of the article states he is represented nor trying to maintain custody of his own child. What does that say?

If the two grandparents are purely concerned for the child and her welfare, after what this child has been through, one would hope they could work something out, however, it is clear the grandmother has been involved in her daily life and worked at the home run by Andreen as well. Sometimes things cannot be worked out depending on the motives of each. The grandmother again was clearly involved in daily life with her daughter and granddaughter, therefore I think the child would be more comfortable with her. As far as assets, I would hope and think there is something that can be done to ensure they are protected for the child and her needs.

The one thing that stands out to me is the grandmother was okay with her ex and wife living in the home because they were all grieving, yet he gave her not one hint he was going to challenge for custody.

In reading between the lines, I do not like that.

Based on the little we know and my opinion is subject to change based on more information but that is my two cents worth at this time and jmo.
The grandfather hinted at reasons for concern about the grandmother but didn't explain. There may be no true reasons but we can't know for sure. It's possible that Andreen was comfortable with her mother's care of her daughter and work at the assisted living homes because Andreen herself was able to supervise her and compensate for any unsatisfactory actions. We also don't know if either of her parents may have contributed financially in getting her business started. She was very young at the time and I wouldn't be surprised to learn one or both of her parents have a financial investment in the business. If so I can understand why they would feel they have a right to some of the control of it.

As for the daughter, my heart breaks for all she has had to endure in her short life. She has lost both her mother and father and I hope her grandparents can come to an agreement where they both can help fill the void in her life from now on.

The grandfather hinted at reasons for concern about the grandmother but didn't explain. There may be no true reasons but we can't know for sure. It's possible that Andreen was comfortable with her mother's care of her daughter and work at the assisted living homes because Andreen herself was able to supervise her and compensate for any unsatisfactory actions. We also don't know if either of her parents may have contributed financially in getting her business started. She was very young at the time and I wouldn't be surprised to learn one or both of her parents have a financial investment in the business. If so I can understand why they would feel they have a right to some of the control of it.

As for the daughter, my heart breaks for all she has had to endure in her short life. She has lost both her mother and father and I hope her grandparents can come to an agreement where they both can help fill the void in her life from now on.

I did note that there were hints at concerns he has. I tried to allow for that. I do not follow cases anywhere else and there may also be more than I know from just this one article.

I still would think a court could protect assets without either having any total control. If one parent or another helped her get a business started, without loans or agreements on paper, I doubt it matters in the legal sense. However, if one or another is on the paperwork or part owner, etc. of the business, that would be different. But again, I do not know the facts. Something also seems to be missing here because I do not get why it is an issue thus far unless there was some clear separation of ownership of the home and assets and/or like a prenuptial agreement between husband and wife. Unfortunately he is not convicted nor even charged with her murder at this point.

While the grandmother may have been necessary for care and maybe there were not a lot of options, even allowing for that, she did trust her daughter with her grandmother. While she may have been able to fill in or help, she still trusted her with her. Forgetting the financial part of the picture, the child is used to the grandmother is mainly what I am looking at, more than the financial part and she has had enough changes and probably saw something terrible as well. It sounds as if she was head of her class is another thing I considered until this happened.

All is just a best guess though, on the limited info I am going on and as I said, I may change that opinion with more facts. I certainly do not know. I also totally get your points and do not disagree whatsoever as they are just as likely and crossed my mind as well.

Sad all of the way around without a doubt, ideally with this part both would work together for the sake of the child but in some cases, that is just not always an option.

I'm sure that business was leveraged through SBA loans geared toward female and minority owned businesses.

Oh that poor baby :( I think she has seen...I can’t even say the words it is too horrid

Quote from the above article:

“A counselor from the child’s school, Ms. Applewhite, testified that the child, who is autistic, has changed her behavior dramatically since her mother disappeared. She said that the child is hostile and is not the happy child she once was.

“The child has taken Play-Doh utensils and cuts up the Play-Doh, saying, ‘I’m going to cut you up and you’re going to die,'" Applewhite said.

Applewhite said that “(the child) has told other children that she wants to burn them.”

'A tragic case': Grandparents clash in fight over Andreen McDonald's daughter
[...]

Hyacinth Mureen Smith, the girl’s maternal grandmother, testified that she has been a constant presence in her granddaughter’s life, making her the best fit to have temporary custody. But Paul Anderson, the girl’s maternal grandfather, said Smith is “irresponsible” and has failed to help the girl with her homework, get her any type of counseling or even provide her with regular, nutritional meals.

“She’s like a totally different person,” Anderson said of his granddaughter, who authorities believe could have witnessed her mother injured or killed.

“She started saying things like ‘I’m going to kill myself. I’m going to burn you. I’m going to turn you into bacon.’”

In the end, Judge David A. Canales ruled that Smith should have primary custody of the girl on a temporary basis, allowing Smith to establish the child’s residence and make decisions regarding her medical care. He allowed Anderson to visit with the girl one weekend a month and to consult with school officials regarding her education.

[...]

On several occasions since he arrived in San Antonio, Anderson testified, Smith was not home to pick up her granddaughter from the bus stop after school. He also said Smith did not provide the girl with nutritional meals, instead giving her a muffin or a meal-replacement shake intended for seniors — testimony confirmed earlier in the day by one of Andreen McDonald’s friends, Jade Cato.

[...]

Anderson testified that he provided Smith with the names and numbers of the counselors but said she didn’t do anything with them, at least to his knowledge. Jean Brown, an attorney representing Smith, said Smith did try to enroll the girl in counseling but was told she couldn’t until she became a legal guardian.

[...]

Prosecutors handling the criminal case against Andre McDonald watched the daylong hearing from the gallery but didn’t weigh in.

At the end of the proceedings, Brown argued Smith may have a different parenting technique than Anderson — for example, by providing meal replacement shakes instead of home-cooked meals — but that alone did not make her unfit to have primary custody of her granddaughter.

“No one said that this child’s needs are not being met,” Brown said.

Julie Hasdorff, a lawyer representing Andre McDonald, who listened to Tuesday’s testimony by telephone, agreed that Smith should have custody, at least temporarily.

“The one constant in this girl’s life is Ms. Smith,” she said.

[...]

So darned sad. A beautiful woman with a beautiful child. We’re it not for all the hail damage I’m dealing with and cleanup I’d be right there with the rest of the search party on the 27th. Hubby had shoulder surgery so it’s currently all on me.

Hearing a young child saying those things would be so chilling. I cannot imagine what she went through that day, and what she feels and goes through emotionally now. I hope this poor little girl gets so much quality therapy!!! Sigh :(
So heartbreaking

APR 26, 2019
Family, friends of Andreen McDonald to organize all-day search Saturday
[...]

They've asked for anyone with a four-wheeler to join them. They plan on going through some wooded areas and thick brush.

Volunteers prepared to brave rough conditions in latest search for Andreen McDonald
[...]

The group of volunteers will meet at the Community Bible Church and will get their assigned search locations. They will be searching on foot, by horseback or via ATV.

"The sheriff's department is in conjunction with this search. They will be here, they will have representatives on site," Owen said. "You have to have your ID. Be 16 years old, and it will be recorded with law enforcement who's here."

They will be tracking their steps by using a search-and-rescue application providing real-time updates to the command center.

"There are some areas that horses cannot get to. This is an area that four-wheelers aren't going to be able to get to," Owen said. "It tells us where to use utilize the resources that we have. We can break the group up where it's going to be the most useful and cover the most ground."

[...]

Last edited:
APR 27, 2019
Volunteers continue searching for Andreen McDonald (Video)

Volunteers continue search for Andreen McDonald
Around 70 volunteers joined together Saturday to continue the search for Andreen McDonald.

[...]

Volunteers set up a command post at Community Bible Church and took ATVs out across Northeast San Antonio, looking for answers.

"It's been approximately two months since she's been missing and our goal is for justice to be served," SD said.

Crime Stoppers is issuing a $5,000 award for information leading to an arrest and conviction. But searchers say they aren't looking for credit; they're just looking to do what's right.

[...]

Last edited:
APR 27, 2019
Dozens help search on foot, horse, ATV for missing woman
[...]

“Horses, ATVs, off-road vehicles. Walking, you name it," said NB, a friend of Andreen who helped organize the search.

[...]

Saturday's search was by no means an easy one.

“It’s a needle in a haystack. This is a big city," said NB.

But still they came. Dozens of volunteers. People, taking time out of their day, searching for clues, searching for answers to a nearly two-month long mystery.

[...]

Saturday's search was organized RR, who drove up from Houston in a borrowed trailer, with a big screen TV and a pretty cool app to keep searchers connected. The app allows RR to keep track of each volunteer, and get up-to-the minute information on what they're finding. Searchers who come across any curious items can take pictures of them and send the pictures back to RR. The pictures will eventually end up at the Sheriff’s department for review.

RR works in IT to pay the bills, but spends a lot of his time helping with searches like this one. All on his own time, all on his own dollar. He estimates he’s spent nearly $2,000 of his own money helping with the search for Andreen. Money well spent, he says.

[...]

(Names changed to initials by me)

This case is a bit different than many I have followed. Very quickly it was realized she was missing and they caught the husband apparently in the middle of getting rid of evidence and with items purchased to get rid of a body and/or bury one. Far quicker than in many cases they had that much. Yet her body has not been found to date. A fire pit was though and proof of burning evidence... If her body was in the fire, I would think they would have proof of that by now.

One would think if he had to buy tools and things to bury her/dispose of her, he did not have time to do so and was going to finish the job after killing her but police arrived before he could. What did he do with her in the meantime?

It also sounds as if the daughter saw possibly what happened or heard it.

It is a different case than most.

I would like to see a break in this case and Andreen found.

This case is a bit different than many I have followed. Very quickly it was realized she was missing and they caught the husband apparently in the middle of getting rid of evidence and with items purchased to get rid of a body and/or bury one. Far quicker than in many cases they had that much. Yet her body has not been found to date. A fire pit was though and proof of burning evidence... If her body was in the fire, I would think they would have proof of that by now.

One would think if he had to buy tools and things to bury her/dispose of her, he did not have time to do so and was going to finish the job after killing her but police arrived before he could. What did he do with her in the meantime?

It also sounds as if the daughter saw possibly what happened or heard it.

It is a different case than most.

I would like to see a break in this case and Andreen found.
LE seemed optimistic when the burnt remains were found, that they had found Andreen. I think when Andreen's remains are found, they will be in a similar condition.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back