CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Yes that’s true. I’d have been delighted had a forensics team set up camp but nobody reported them arriving. And it would’ve been reported I think because it’s the indication a search was successful. It seemed the officers, the dogs, the helicopter were all out there looking but then the search was soon over.

Merritt Herald Facebook - This week’s search of Nicola Ranch uncovered no answers to the mystery of Merritt’s missing cowboy.
Merritt Herald

The article seems a bit short on information but she did say that they didn't locate Ben's body so I guess we can rule out sending that to the lab.

This is the basis of my theory:

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance
Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.

As the search continues, Merritt RCMP have narrowed down the timeline of how long he has been out for, but are still trying to determine how Tyner made his way out to where he was riding, and where he was headed.”

As for NR, I’ve not noticed anything indicating it was believed to be a crime scene. A thorough search of the home area of any missing person can also be a matter of investigative routine.
What is your theory again? I’m sorry, I must have missed it.

Phone, Time of Day, Horse location and Dogs all didn't sit right with me... MOO

The lack of horse tracks leaving NR is kind of a give away, imo.
Just so darn many things to think of when committing murder.
Moo

Last edited:
The comments after the search didn't concern me but police don't often share their findings with the public, except by way of requests for certain things, lest they tip off a suspect.
Considering the size of the ranch & contiguous properties owned by NR owner, no one knows if LE is on site, unless they inform the press. My opinion is the place is crawling with LE off/on.
I am 100% convinced this is not a ‘whodunnit’ .

BT's parent's returned to Wyoming taking their son's horse and dogs with them. RCMP states BT's disappearance is suspicious, and foul play suspected, but community should not feel at risk.

community should not feel at risk

Now, common sense tells me no LE department would make such a comment w/o knowing the murderer. How could they? Would they not be remiss if Ben’s murderer did kill again? IMO, yes.
LE apparently knows the exact reason Ben was targeted (we can draw our own conclusion) and feel confident Ben’s murderer will not strike again.
This case is not complex, Imo
I think it is now a ‘should we arrest or look a bit longer’ situation.

Considering the size of the ranch & contiguous properties owned by NR owner, no one knows if LE is on site, unless they inform the press. My opinion is the place is crawling with LE off/on.
I am 100% convinced this is not a ‘whodunnit’ .

I don't think anybody was aware that there was an investigation going on while they were searching for Ben.

I don't think anybody was aware that there was an investigation going on while they were searching for Ben.

I agree. And, as I’ve posted before, once rcmp arrived at NR on 01-28, they could not automatically assume Ben had fallen from his horse. Remember Constable TD commented how unusual it would be for a seasoned cowboy to have a riding mishap? I can’t recall her exact language, but link including her statement is here, many times. Moo

Seems so. And crime unit was called in after only about a week.

RCMP major crime unit joins investigation of vanished Merritt cowboy.

While the official search was suspended on Sunday after seven days of searching, the investigation is not over,” said Staff Sgt. Lorne Wood, Merritt RCMP Detachment Commander in a media release.

Right before that Jack posted his, 'I wish I could share more with you' post on FB so I was somewhat expecting a broader investigation. I know the ranch office manager said that the mare came back in good condition but I've always wondered about the little things. If he truly was going looking for strays, was his rope with his horse and if it was, was it the right rope? Were the stirrups adjusted, how tight was the back cinch (Ben seemed to prefer his quite loose) and the age old cinch battle. Was his tied off so it looked like a man's tie, just a couple loops or a couple loops with the end pulled back through. Everybody does it different but nobody changes technique.

Most long rope guys that work in the bush, have a tendency to use something a bit different than they would in tighter surroundings.

Right before that Jack posted his, 'I wish I could share more with you' post on FB so I was somewhat expecting a broader investigation. I know the ranch office manager said that the mare came back in good condition but I've always wondered about the little things. If he truly was going looking for strays, was his rope with his horse and if it was, was it the right rope? Were the stirrups adjusted, how tight was the back cinch (Ben seemed to prefer his quite loose) and the age old cinch battle. Was his tied off so it looked like a man's tie, just a couple loops or a couple loops with the end pulled back through. Everybody does it different but nobody changes technique.

Most long rope guys that work in the bush, have a tendency to use something a bit different than they would in tighter surroundings.
Something that's difficult to know because whoever unsaddled Gunny may or may not have taken photos or made a mental note of any of that. KR's comment that horse was dressed up nicely like someone knew what they were doing gives only that much of a clue.

Personally, I believe the only way Ben would have been the one to have saddled Gunny would be if he was confronted after a ride late Saturday afternoon/early evening, or maybe early Sunday morning as he was about to go out for just a quick ride. I do not believe Ben rode up to that logging road or to Swakum Ridge from the ranch, and I also don't think anyone with friendly intentions trailered him up there either. Actually my own interpretation is that Ben never road at all so hopefully someone did document how the saddle was cinched, etc. JMO

Last edited:
Something that's difficult to know because whoever unsaddled Gunny may or may not have taken photos or made a mental note of any of that. KR's comment that horse was dressed up nicely like someone knew what they were doing gives only that much of a clue.

Personally, the only way Ben would have been the one to have saddled Gunny would be if he was confronted after a ride late Saturday afternoon/early evening, or maybe early Sunday morning as he was about to go out for just a quick ride. I do not believe Ben rode up to that logging road or to Swakum Ridge from the ranch, and I also don't think anyone with friendly intentions trailered him up there either. Actually my own interpretation is that Ben never road at all so hopefully someone did document how the saddle was cinched, etc. JMO

Given the horse was found in the bush, it is possible that pictures could have been sent to the brand inspector rather than having someone drive all the way up, read a brand and leave.

My other thought is that if a stray with custom tack showed up at my place, I'd darned sure be taking pictures, just to prove what was there would be what is being returned. They may not be great pictures but I would think that KR may have taken some too before he started looking for an owner.

I keep wondering if KR was coached to say that he was not welcome to join the search. He's done good work for the RCMP in the past and it would be odd to refuse his help at a time when a man was thought to be missing and stood a strong chance of freezing to death if they didn't find him quickly.

I do not believe Ben rode out from the ranch and the lack of tracks support that theory. I don't think where Gunny was found has much to do with anything either but I do think it's important to figure out where she was dropped. Logically, the best reason to stage a riding accident would be if the body is also in the general area.

It seems illogical to do much travelling with a dead body and a stolen horse.

I do not believe Ben rode out from the ranch and the lack of tracks support that theory. I don't think where Gunny was found has much to do with anything either but I do think it's important to figure out where she was dropped. Logically, the best reason to stage a riding accident would be if the body is also in the general area.

You’re thinking Ben was dropped along the route?
Gosh, looking at map images, one wonders, can a body ever be found?
I haven’t arrived at a theory as to where I think Ben is. In the beginning, I assumed close to/on ranch. With hopes of moving him later.
Targeted, lack of tracks, community not in danger.......
Not difficult to form an opinion is my opinion.

Given the horse was found in the bush, it is possible that pictures could have been sent to the brand inspector rather than having someone drive all the way up, read a brand and leave.

My other thought is that if a stray with custom tack showed up at my place, I'd darned sure be taking pictures, just to prove what was there would be what is being returned. They may not be great pictures but I would think that KR may have taken some too before he started looking for an owner.

I keep wondering if KR was coached to say that he was not welcome to join the search. He's done good work for the RCMP in the past and it would be odd to refuse his help at a time when a man was thought to be missing and stood a strong chance of freezing to death if they didn't find him quickly.

It seems illogical to do much travelling with a dead body and a stolen horse.
All good points. I hope you're right about the photos. And I did read that KR was able to help with the search after all. Not sure how much later, but it was posted on Missing Ben FB page by one of the admins.

Only problem with staging a body around where the horse was found, the Ben's body would have to seem as it he had really fallen and died that way - so no gunshot, not strangulation, etc. I'd say difficult to fake a cause of death. The fact that no body has been found does make it more suspicious in nature. JMO

You’re thinking Ben was dropped along the route?
Gosh, looking at map images, one wonders, can a body ever be found?
I haven’t arrived at a theory as to where I think Ben is. In the beginning, I assumed close to/on ranch. With hopes of moving him later.
Targeted, lack of tracks, community not in danger.......
Not difficult to form an opinion is my opinion.

I do feel he's in the area and I don't think the person(s) who did this are overy bright nor is it well executed. I suspect the whole plan revolves around a quick decision to make things look like a riding accident. My very first thought, when I read he went missing was that guys with his experience don't come off horses but cats can take a man off a horse/bicycle.

I don't think this was overly premeditated and everything after the incident was based on opportunity and the desire to sort things out quickly, because of the little things. Taking time to tack a horse seems illogical but if the horse was tacked, it seems like it may create a window of opportunity and and a handy excuse. I would suggest that Ben expected someone that day or the dogs would have been with him and his cell phone would have been on his hip or in his shirt pocket (unless it fell and somebody noticed after and chucked it in the truck). Gunny was still young and Ben decided since it was a nice day, he'd give her a bit of exercise but I don't believe

Liars tend to stick as close to the truth as they can and people in a panic tend to make mistakes.

All good points. I hope you're right about the photos. And I did read that KR was able to help with the search after all. Not sure how much later, but it was posted on Missing Ben FB page by one of the admins.

Only problem with staging a body around where the horse was found, the Ben's body would have to seem as it he had really fallen and died that way - so no gunshot, not strangulation, etc. I'd say difficult to fake a cause of death. The fact that no body has been found does make it more suspicious in nature. JMO

I don't think gunshot or there would have been a huge mess to clean (unless it happened up where Gunny was dropped), Ben was pretty strong and fit so I don't think strangulation but I'm thinking somebody may be looking to explain a head injury.

Barns have all kinds of heavy things. My own daughter made a trip to ER when she was small because she was carring a kitten that she didn't want to drop when she tripped and broke her cheek bone and scratched her cornea when she smashed her face on a branding iron, hanging on the wall.

In one of the articles I'd read, he said he was going to continue searching, even if the police didn't want his help. I believe I read on FB that all searchers were required to have food/gear for an overnight emergency. A trapper's idea of food and gear would be quite a bit different and the argument with an official may have started there.

I don't think the person(s) who did this are overy bright nor is it well executed. I suspect the whole plan revolves around a quick decision to make things look like a riding accident.
Couldn’t agree more on the “not overly bright”.
Not unusual for a perp to stick to what he knows best, either. Imo

don't think gunshot or there would have been a huge mess to clean (unless it happened up where Gunny was dropped), Ben was pretty strong and fit so I don't think strangulation but I'm thinking somebody may be looking to explain a head injury.

I think the perp to be equally as strong & fit.
Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more on the “not overly bright.
Not unusual for a perp to stick to what he knows best, either. Imo

I think the perp to be equally as strong & fit.
Just my opinion, of course.

I don't think they're stupid, I just don't think they are capable of pulling off the perfect crime. The police have more information than we do and we found some big questions. Garland was a brilliant man, who managed to leave no DNA at a messy crime scene and still got caught.

Just think how many leads and questions police would have after reviewing details like, how many cows were left behind when Swakum pasture was gathered, cell phone, text messages, messenger, conversations with the ranch owner, possibly pictures on the cell phone comments from Ben's family and phone in tips.

I don't think they're stupid, I just don't think they are capable of pulling off the perfect crime. The police have more information than we do and we found some big questions. Garland was a brilliant man, who managed to leave no DNA at a messy crime scene and still got caught.

Just think how many leads and questions police would have after reviewing details like, how many cows were left behind when Swakum pasture was gathered, cell phone, text messages, messenger, conversations with the ranch owner, possibly pictures on the cell phone comments from Ben's family and phone in tips.

All good points, of course.
A big prob after interviews, no matter how closely what to tell cops is rehearsed, someone slips up, sensationalizes or gets an unrehearsed question. Add in nerves & one huge mess is the outcome, with a perp/accomplice making retractions or more prolific lies. Jmo

All good points, of course.
A big prob after interviews, no matter how closely what to tell cops is rehearsed, someone slips up, sensationalizes or gets an unrehearsed question. Add in nerves & one huge mess is the outcome, with a perp/accomplice making retractions or more prolific lies. Jmo

I agree and what seems plausable as an alibi when someone needs one, isn't always as plausable as it sounds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back