Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, and Liberty (Libby) German, 14/The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #89

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘We also believe this person is from Delphi’: Police release new sketch, additional information in Delphi murder investigation
[...]

Carter said the investigation has shifted in direction. They now believe they're looking for someone who lives in Delphi or used to live in the city. He also said investigators were looking for the owner of a vehicle found abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North next to the Hoosier Heartland Highway between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. The vehicle was parked at the old CPS/DCS/Welfare building, police said.

[...]

"The result of the new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe the sketch is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls," he said. "We also believe this person is from Delphi--currently or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis or works here."

Carter said the suspect is between the ages of 18 and 40 and may look younger than his true age. He also had a message for the killer.

"We believe you are hiding in plain sight. For more than two years, you never thought we'd shift gears to a different investigative strategy, but we have. We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you. We know that this is about power for you, and you want to know what we know," Carter said. "One day, you will."

[...]

Yeah. I don’t think they have a real expectation that he’s suddenly going to walk into a police station and confess.

But they are definitely trying to rattle him, and force him to make a mistake.

He might say something to a friend or relative, suddenly leave town, or begin acting erratically.

With the entire town now effectively acting as an extension of the police department, these changes won’t go unnoticed.

That’s the hope anyways.
Respectfully disagree. I don’t think this miscreant is nervous; I don’t think he is feeling any remorse or concern. He doesn’t care. He will be acting like everything is routine, because he is a psychopath.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Police: Delphi killer 'hiding in plain sight' as new images released
[...]
Indiana State Police say they are looking for the driver of a vehicle parked at the old CPS/DCS/Welfare building that was abandoned on the east side of CR 300 N next to the Hoosier Heartland Highway between noon and 5 p.m. on February 13, 2017. That's the day 14-year-old German and 13-year-old Williams went missing. Their bodies were found the next day just out of sight of the bridge. Police did not give a description of the vehicle.
[...]
MAP - Google Maps
I think Police Supt Carson statements about the "vehicle" were confusing to media as well. Media above cites Feb 13 but Carson said Feb 14 at the presser.

We've only seen a one-second, far away video clip of the real person, and the witness who supplied the first sketch also likely didn't get a long look.

In the press conference Carter stated the person might look much younger than his age, in daily life.

Actors routinely carry this kind of thing off every day, for long periods of time under the scrutiny of a live audience. Trans men, even before medical intervention, pass themselves off as women. Ted Bundy looked very different while he was stalking his victims, vs the persona he adopted as an innocent man. People believe what's presented in front of them.

If a local man hatched a scheme to murder in that park, he naturally wouldn't walk around looking like his real self, since someone might recognize him. Dressing up to look very different could also involve taking on a persona with a different voice and posture. If the person is like Ted Bundy, passing himself off as a nice guy, at some point Mr. Nice Guy must give way to Mr. Killer.

Altho it may seem improbable to some people, I don't believe it's impossible, and in crime detection those two words mean very different things.

We will have to agree to disagree :)

Bridge guy looks totally different to the new sketch to me.

I’m new here so I hope I don’t break any rules but after seeing that presser I thought, like many here did, that there was a lot of religious reference and the date of release being close to Easter was a chosen for sure. I took the new sketch and though maybe I can just google some local religious figures and see if any match the sketch. One google search brought up someone that I think the sketch closely matches (age may be off?) and is/was very close to the case. There was even a news video of this person talking about “evil” which reminded me again of the presser. Sorry again if this type of thing isn’t allow. But I was stopped cold by it... I’m am sure the police see the resemblance too, right?

It almost seems like LE is somewhat 'taunting' the suspect... ie calling him a 'coward', etc. They said he (the suspect) wants to know what they know.. makes me wonder if LE believes the killer has contacted LE. Seems like LE are trying to push some buttons, hoping for a reaction of some sort. jmo.

Would there be any businesses with security cameras or traffic cams in the area where the vehicle was parked/abandoned that may have captured images of it/its driver and their movments on that day? Early on LE was asking for tips about someone walking along the highway and/or hitchiking.

Also wondering, based on the location of the welfare building, if we assume BG used the 'abandoned' vehicle, what would be the likely point that he entered and exited the trail system around Monon? Does this place him in close proximity to where the girls were dropped or or supposed to be picked up? Where would he have likely noticed the girls and intercepted them?

This having been a very sacred weekend to many people, and with growing pressure on this becoming a cold case, I think that plays in to why we saw this presser today.
I am eternally hopeful that their killer will be caught, and the new sketch and age range (not specific in age imo) will maybe help.
I just think they are trying to find any other clues they possibly can, and the families are obviously upset that there hasn't been an arrest.
I sympathize with them, but I seriously don't think there is an arrest imminent.
Hoping so much that I am wrong,
Chi

Having a hard time understanding why they held so tightly to the bridge footage? Today's release is not that much more.

This press conference wasn't really for us IMO...
They're coming for you BG. Tick tock.

I agree this PC wasn't really for "us." There wasn't an emphasis or large plea to the public to call, email, text in tips to such and such phone number. Some PC's will repeat contact info over and over if LE is seeking tips. That didn't happen today. This was definitely calculated to be focused directly to the murderer. Imo

It almost seems like LE is somewhat 'taunting' the suspect... ie calling him a 'coward', etc. They said he (the suspect) wants to know what they know.. makes me wonder if LE believes the killer has contacted LE. Seems like LE are trying to push some buttons, hoping for a reaction of some sort. jmo.

I agree. Andas to why they waited two years to release this, they were not sitting there doing nothing. They were likely working hard to find the person themselves first. And who knows when r how the sketch was developed.

This one includes "Guys" before he says "down the hill."

This is a slightly longer version of that clip. The word "Guys" is now heard before "Down the hill". Some believe he says "Hey guys. Down the hill".

Thank you! I guess I thought it might be an additional recording. I wonder why the whole clip was not released previously? And why is that video clip so short? It seems to me it would be a bit easier to recognize a gait if you could see more than one step. o_O

Respectfully disagree. I don’t think this miscreant is nervous; I don’t think he is feeling any remorse or concern. He doesn’t care. He will be acting like everything is routine, because he is a psychopath.

Amateur opinion and speculation

These people tend to get nervous. Even serial killers do.

It’s concern about himself, and getting caught.

Especially if this is his first murder.

I haven't kept up with this case.. seems nothing really new until today, which was kind of strange (imho).. just wondering, what became of Sheriff Tobe Leazenby? He is still the sheriff there, confirmed on the sheriff's website.. is it weird that it wasn't him doing the PC today? I mean, I didn't even see him there? Is there a reason?
He was standing next to Carter the whole time. He didn’t have the hat on so he looked a little different. I think he was staring someone down for quite a while.

Does anyone have a link to the sketch?
Here's a side-by-side:

Lindsey Eaton on Twitter
First sketch (left) of suspected killer in #DelphiMurders ISP released it in July of 2017. New sketch released today is on right.
D4xdlhIWAAEBFiN.jpg

1:06 PM - 22 Apr 2019

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads