IL IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with that completely. Except chief K is saying “we are focusing on the house” when in reality he has crews at Lippold park and the north shore doing searches and no one is at the house.

You make a good point

But in what context did he say that and in what way does he mean focus? I suppose that depends on interpretation.

Focusing on the house as in that's where they believe the crime occurred?

Focusing on the house as in focusing on the people within the house as possible suspects?

What do you suppose they are looking for?
How long should they look for it at the house before looking other places? If they look other places does it mean their focus of where the crime occurred or who may be involved must have changed?

Last edited:
Have been coming on hoping to see he's been found. I don't know if this is okay to post, but I have had a peek at both mom's FB pages and the videos are obviously of the younger, but the one from last year 17th of April has AJ at the end not moving at all- and is captioned:
"I love my boys so much.
.. , AJ, ..
I hope you will always know that.
Love,
Mom"
The same day she posted a link to "Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd with Lyrics"

exactly one year from the last day the family reported seeing him. Is this date significant to the family in any way?

I haven't seen much discussion about dad's missing/broken (?) cell phone that he needed to replace. Is it a coincidence that it is gone now or she trying to hide info that could be on the phone?
Whoa. Hoping the first thing the FBI did was look at cell phone and computer / lap top records from the parents to determine information like was this event occurring well before Thursday morning?. Second thing, again hoping the FBI looked at the clothing of AJ, were his pajamas still unused, mom said he was wearing sweatshirt and pants to bed, really? Third thing, again hoping the FBI looked at the beds in the house, were any short sheeted? I could go on, but this is basics.

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Police: Focus remains on AJ Freund's Crystal Lake home and people who had last contact with him

State records show that the parents — Freund, 60, and Cunningham, 36, — became engaged after he represented her as her attorney in a 2012 divorce case, though the McHenry County clerk’s office has no record of a marriage between the two, and her attorney said they never got married.

Freund is authorized by the state to practice law, but he is on probation from a 2015 suspension by the Illinois Supreme Court, according to the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.

The discipline stemmed from Cunningham’s 2012 divorce case, when she was known as JoAnn Summerkamp, in which she and Freund were found guilty of indirect civil contempt of court for the removal of property from her marital home, in violation of a judge’s order. He was sentenced to two weeks in jail, and she to 30 days.

The couple’s engagement became an aggravating factor in his case, the commission reported, because attorneys generally are prohibited from becoming romantically involved with their clients. He also was found to have appeared in court on her behalf in 2013 in a municipal ordinance violation case even though he was not authorized to practice law at that time for failing to complete continuing legal education, the ARDC reported.

Freund was diagnosed with opioid and cocaine abuse disorders and was ordered to abstain and to continue treatment and a 12-step program, with regular progress reports.

More detailed info from Chicago Tribune which includes how JC and AF met, financial status and other background info on AF’s law career. Police: Focus remains on AJ Freund's Crystal Lake home and people who had last contact with him
From your link:
The news release also said that Cunningham, who is seven months pregnant, is expected to attend the hearing and might speak at a news conference afterward if “she is capable of doing so. JoAnn is emotionally, mentally, and physically fragile after five days with no sign of AJ.”

Her attorneys said they expect AJ’s father to attend the hearing, but they are not representing him.
How "fragile" must one be to decide to speak out or not speak out for their missing child? Is this about the mother or is it about AJ? SMDH.

The article also mentions today's search at Lippold Park. I wonder if that came from tips or something a parent told LE.

I have been trying to post on this thread forever. My username was not working so I created a new one.

1) Child Services failed this boy. Addiction is a disease and whoever think the mother has a “choice” does not really understand addiction. If a little boy is born with opioids in his system and has had troubles until up to 2018 - the mom is clearly unfit and someone needs to step in because the equation of this family only spells one thing: disaster.

2) I am 7 months pregnant and I take Klonopin (similar to Xanax). I have anxiety/panic attacks and it was decided by my psych/ob/doctors that the risks of panic attacks during pregnancy are higher than the risk of a small dose of Klonopin. In a drug test, Klonopin/Xanax would show up as “BENZOPEDINES” so if the person has a prescription it won’t be flagged as it’s not even close to an opioid and some of us need the medication to function. In my case, because of a drug addicted mother. I am with everyone saying that drug addicts should not be able to have kids.

I had family and an amazing father who took care of me and never let the situation escalate. But like I said, drug addiction is not a choice and a child will NEVER be safe just under the care of an addict. That’s just wishful thinking. I mean, heck, I was very lucky with so many people taking care of me and making sure I was very protected and I was, and still ended up with an anxiety/panic disorder that makes me feel guilty that I need to take a benzo during pregnancy because well... that’s the cards life gave me and just thinking of poor Andrew - what I went through was nothing compared to what other kids of drug addicts go through.

I have a hard time judging the mother as how can we judge someone so deep in an addiction? It’s like... geez are you surprised something happened with this kid with all the reported history? CPS failed. The system is broken. The mom needs to be in rehab and NOT caring for children or having more children. What a sad situation.
Thank you for some education on addiction. I am in recovery and being an addict or alcoholic does not equal being a criminal lowlife homeless piece of garbage. Some are. But you’d be shocked at the “upstanding citizens” you’ll see in rehabs or AA meetings working to stay sober and be better people.
Note- my soapbox speech has nothing to do with what I feel happened here. I’m not defending them.

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Police: Focus remains on AJ Freund's Crystal Lake home and people who had last contact with him

State records show that the parents — Freund, 60, and Cunningham, 36, — became engaged after he represented her as her attorney in a 2012 divorce case, though the McHenry County clerk’s office has no record of a marriage between the two, and her attorney said they never got married.

Freund is authorized by the state to practice law, but he is on probation from a 2015 suspension by the Illinois Supreme Court, according to the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.

The discipline stemmed from Cunningham’s 2012 divorce case, when she was known as JoAnn Summerkamp, in which she and Freund were found guilty of indirect civil contempt of court for the removal of property from her marital home, in violation of a judge’s order. He was sentenced to two weeks in jail, and she to 30 days.

The couple’s engagement became an aggravating factor in his case, the commission reported, because attorneys generally are prohibited from becoming romantically involved with their clients. He also was found to have appeared in court on her behalf in 2013 in a municipal ordinance violation case even though he was not authorized to practice law at that time for failing to complete continuing legal education, the ARDC reported.

Freund was diagnosed with opioid and cocaine abuse disorders and was ordered to abstain and to continue treatment and a 12-step program, with regular progress reports.

So interesting! I had a inkling it had to do with representing her and then dating her and drugs but I wasn’t sure. I don’t know I consider a lawyer to be a really good profession and I just don’t get someone giving it all up for drugs! So powerful!

Live just a few blocks away. Neighbors are putting up baby blue ribbons in hopes that he is soon found alive.
So upset by all of this, live just a few towns away. Odd behavior of parents is way too much to understand. Hopefully FBI is monitoring this situation closely and checking with 3rd parties to verify the 'timeline' provided by the parents. I'm not optimistic, so sorry.

Have been coming on hoping to see he's been found. I don't know if this is okay to post, but I have had a peek at both mom's FB pages and the videos are obviously of the younger, but the one from last year 17th of April has AJ at the end not moving at all- and is captioned:
"I love my boys so much.
.. , AJ, ..
I hope you will always know that.
Love,
Mom"
The same day she posted a link to "Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd with Lyrics"
Bolding Mine

Very strange video with her blowing that whistle on and on, low guttural laughing, and the brief snippet of AJ at the end -- with his head down, not moving.
As if he was frozen with fear. :(
The only video of him , other than the baby one.

BTW --- Welcome to Websleuths, mummy !!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, I’m completely new. I’m in the Chicago area and AJ’s case is keeping me up at night.

I don’t want to violate TOS since no POI has officially been named, but I also have a question because I’m new to sleuthing. If someone had an open case for a traffic violation from, say December, and there was an update on local court websites saying that a warrant was served today, would that mean that person was in police custody?

18TR040648 PEOPLE VS. CUNNINGHAM, JOANN D
TYPE TRAFFIC VIOLATION - CRYSTAL LAKE COMPLAINT
FILED 12/21/2018
STATUS OPEN - 12/21/2018
Future Court Events
Date
04/23/2019 Time
8:30AM Room
104 Event Type
JUDGMENT - BOND FORFEITURE Judge
DAVIS
Previous Court Events
Date
03/12/2019 Room
104 Event Type
PLEA Result
ISSUANCE - WARRANT PENDING CASE Judge
DAVIS
03/12/2019 104 PLEA NOTICE - BOND FORFEITURE DAVIS
02/26/2019 104 PLEA CONTINUED - DEFENDANTS MOTION DAVIS
01/29/2019 104 PLEA CONTINUED - DEFENDANTS MOTION DAVIS

police asking residents to check security cameras starting with Monday, April 15th. Sounds like they think something might have happened before April 17th.
Thank you for discussing security cameras. Never bought into AJ missing on Thursday morning timeline provided by parents. Was AJ in school last week? Was he home last week at all? Did anyone see him last week? These are basics to ask the neighbors since mom and dad won't answer. As a concerned parent myself, this case smells and it is foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong