FL FL - Karen Marie Hughes, 14, Seminole, 7 October 1985

Mysteries1974

Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985
Reaction score
Karen Marie Hughes

hughes_karen.jpg

Above: Karen at age 8 circa 1979 (6 years before her disappearance; more recent photographs are unavailable)

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: October 7, 1985 from Albany, New York
  • Classification: Endangered Runaway/Family Abduction
  • Date Of Birth: July 28, 1971
  • Height and Weight: 4'6, 70 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Karen's toes on both feet are webbed.

Details of Disappearance

Karen was last seen in Albany, New York on August 8, 1983. Authorities believe she's with her non-custodial mother, Barbara Hughes. Barbara is Caucasian and was 40 years old in 1983. She may use the last names Brovillette, Kolkous and/or Martin. They may be in Florida, possibly the St. Petersburg area.
Although Karen allegedly is with her non-custodial mother, investigators believe she left of her own accord; her case is classified as a runaway.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office
212-374-6913

Source Information
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
The Palm Beach Post

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated September 4, 2010; distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.

Charley Project Home

The Doe Network:
Case File 227DFFL

KHughes.jpg

Hughes, circa 1985

Karen Marie Hughes
Missing since October 7, 1985 from Seminole, Pinellas County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: July 28, 1971
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11"; 70 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Karen’s ties are webbed

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Hughes was last seen in Seminole, Florida. She has never been heard from again. Her whereabouts are unknown.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Hughes' case, please contact:
    Pinellas County Sheriff's Office
    212-374-6913

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number:
    85-102378

NCIC Number: M-469248595
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: Florida Department Of Law Enforcement

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

I couldn’t get these links to work. I often wonder if the children taken by their non custodial parent ever realize they were listed as missing.

I couldn’t get these links to work. I often wonder if the children taken by their non custodial parent ever realize they were listed as missing.

Or if they do they may have been brainwashed into believing what was told to them about the other parent.

The dates for this child are all over the place. Her DOB is 7/28/1971 and it states she was 14 when she went missing.

The dates listed:
Missing from Albany, NY 8/8/1983 (age 12)
Missing from Seminole, FL 10/7/1985 (age 14)
Last seen in FL in 1988 (age 17?) this estimate is per link Unexplained Disappearances for The Doe Project blue screen.

So, was she 12 when she took off from Albany, NY with Mom?
Did LE find her in Seminole, FL but she ran away at 14?
Webbed toes are usually corrected shortly after birth. They may cause an unusual walk or stride but nothing is mentioned.

The project was updated 10/12/2004 (age 33?) and again 9/4/2010 (age 39?). Where did the updates come from? The investigators notes? Did they interview more people?

The mother would be about age 76 now. Is she still alive?

Or if they do they may have been brainwashed into believing what was told to them about the other parent.
Exactly. Parental Alienation should be a crime punishable by supervised, recorded visitation. There’s a child in our family that believes everything one parent says/does even if presented with undisputed facts. It will eventually come back to bite that parent but it takes decades for vindication.

Mom’s known name is Barbara Hughes but her aliases are:
Barbara Brovillette
Barbara Kolkous
Barbara Martin

I’ve always thought people pick an alias based on a name familiar to them like a maiden name, their mothers maiden name, a married name, etc. What significance do these names hold?

Wouldn’t the case be a familial abduction?

The photo of Karen is from when she was 8 I believe.

Missing from St Petersburg, FL on 8/30/1983 but started braces Sept 1983? Who was the orthodontist? Someone has mistyped something or misremembered the timeline. All other reports have her in Albany, NY in 1983.

Great clues tho:
She plays piano. Who was teaching her and did she play at church?
Ears are pierced.
She likes to swim. Did she frequent the beaches in FL?

A child who’s been taught piano, has had her ears pierced and has braces is a child that is loved and cared for. What happened to her?

It makes sense to me that if she was last seen in 1983 in Albany and was 12, then she would have been 14 in 85 and was probably seen in Pinellas County during that time. Maybe by the orthodontist who put her braces on in Sept of 83 and follow up visits up until Sept/Oct 1985? There may be public records during the 2 year span placing them in Seminole or St Pete also that law enforcement verified.
Back in the 80's I don't believe that these "parental custody issues" where really taken seriously. When they could not find public records for the mom in Oct 85 I bet LE used this date as the time period she went missing.

Searching by dob there are only 2 Karen's in Florida, presuming that she's using the same dob
KAREN LUDDEN (Age 47)
AVON PARK, FL 33825
SEBRING, FL 33870
SEBRING, FL 33872
[ 4 Unique Addresses ]

22. KAREN C LUDDEN
AVON PARK, FL 33825
[ 1 Unique Address ]

23. KAREN A DUKE
Associated Names / Possible Aliases:
KAREN ANN DUKE (Age 47)
KAREN A ESPOSITO (Age 47)