CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

They should have put more focus on other area's such as NR as a starting point.
Great to hear from you, our resident cowboy, a voice of reason, imo.
If my car is found in a parking lot with keys dangling from ignition, it no way implies I drove it there. Same with a Gunny on Swakum, no way should LE assumed anyone rode her there. She could have broke loose at home base, speeding off.
IMO, NR is crawling with LE on a daily basis.

I know few things to contribute and this I know by my own lifetime experience. KR is a hounds men, he owns and runs hounds and chases cats, big cats. He is also a hunter and trapper. By NATURE when he found Gunny he back tracked her to find out what direction she came from. He did this instinctively, trust me.

That is why he made statements to the effect that Gunny did NOT come there straight from the NR, he knew Ben did not ride there. Maybe it did not come out in the MSM, but the RCMP knows which direction and how she got there. I have had hounds, bird dogs, cow/hog dogs and have hunted my whole life and this is how it goes.

I really don't know why they continued to search Swakum MTN after KR told them they were wasting there time and resources. They should have put more focus on other area's such as NR as a starting point.

It would be interesting to know who received Gunny after getting off the mountain. Was that person a horseman ? What did they observe ? If they where a true horseman they would have looked Gunny over very carefully, it's just what a horseman would do by nature. I know it's been reported that Gunny was at the Lower Nicola Reserve.

ALL JMO.

@Dog_River -- I had the same questions about observation of Gunny, and offer the following that I posted just yesterday.

BBM for emphasis

‘We’re coming for you’: Search on for ‘true American cowboy’ missing in B.C. backcountry

1/31/19

Ben Tyner, who was raised in Wyoming, had taken on a new job about three months ago as ranch manager in Merritt, B.C. He was last seen Saturday afternoon [Jan 26]. He may have ridden into the backcountry along an area called Swakum Ridge.

Kim Robinson, a local tracker and hunting guide, said he found the riderless, saddled horse Monday morning. It was missing a rein but otherwise had “good rigging” on it. The horse was a bit spooked but he managed to calm it down and tie it to a tree. He then went and fetched other local ranchers who later brought it back to town and confirmed it belonged to Tyner.

The weather Wednesday was said to be partly cloudy with a high of 2C and overnight lows of -3C.
[...]
The Nicola Valley Search and Rescue team was leading the operation, which included teams from other parts of B.C., ranchers on horseback, search dogs and drones.

Tyner’s parents, Richard and Jennifer Tyner, and younger brother, Jack, travelled to Merritt from Wyoming to take part in the search.
[...]
The officer manager at Nicola Ranch told Postmedia News it was “totally out of character” for Tyner to leave the ranch without notifying someone.

“None of this is adding up, it’s a flipping mystery,” Tammy Straya said. ...

Straya added that Tyner’s horse returned in good condition with nothing to indicate that it had been attacked.

“Something might have scared it, but there’s no blood, no spur marks, no scratches. It’s his horse, and it’s a gentle horse,” Straya said.

According to Tyner’s Facebook page, his career has taken him to ranches all over the world — from Russia to Idaho. Instagram posts in recent months featured some of his leather work, including custom shotgun leggings made from water buffaflo hide, and a 10-foot bullwhip.
[...]
“He’s a very fine young man, quiet and reserved, very mannerly. A little shy … but takes real pride in what he does.”

DeBerard said Tyner never hesitated to lend a helping hand to neighbours back home.

“Anytime you needed Ben to gather cows, or brand cows, or if you needed him with a horse trailer, he’d drop whatever he was doing to help somebody — a solid, strong guy.”

ETA: reportedly, BT truck and trailer were found at home.

We’re you nearly to the top?
So glad you’re local, as in really local, to help us get perspective.

I agree. From the beginning, I believe Investigators knew BT's location on Saturday night, but never certain that BT ever rode out on Sunday.

If BT in fact accompanied Gunny to the Swakum Ridge area, appears to me that LE believes they were most likely transported there. I'm inclined to believe that BT and Gunny were not transported together.

Although I've not read this, I believe that if asked, BT family would be first to say that had Gunny and his rider been together, Gunny would not have left BT.

MOO

I'm going to have to disagree with your comment. Having spent 50 years with livestock, horses are not like dogs, who will stay with their master. Quite a few riders have had the pleasure of a long walk back to the barn.

I know few things to contribute and this I know by my own lifetime experience. KR is a hounds men, he owns and runs hounds and chases cats, big cats. He is also a hunter and trapper. By NATURE when he found Gunny he back tracked her to find out what direction she came from. He did this instinctively, trust me.

That is why he made statements to the effect that Gunny did NOT come there straight from the NR, he knew Ben did not ride there. Maybe it did not come out in the MSM, but the RCMP knows which direction and how she got there. I have had hounds, bird dogs, cow/hog dogs and have hunted my whole life and this is how it goes.

I really don't know why they continued to search Swakum MTN after KR told them they were wasting there time and resources. They should have put more focus on other area's such as NR as a starting point.

It would be interesting to know who received Gunny after getting off the mountain. Was that person a horseman ? What did they observe ? If they where a true horseman they would have looked Gunny over very carefully, it's just what a horseman would do by nature. I know it's been reported that Gunny was at the Lower Nicola Reserve.

ALL JMO.

I would also like to know more about the mare's condition and the actual condition of her tack, beyond what the office manager said. I read that the brand inspector had to read her brand to verify ownership. Would they have actually sent an inspector out or would they accept photos in BC and provide verbal ID?

I'm near the Blackfoot and we have some excellent horsemen and I'm hoping Lower Nicola has them too. Otherwise, my best hope for anything relating to her is that somebody realized that she had some pretty unique tack and took some decent pictures to prove what that they were returning everything she arrived with.

I'm going to have to disagree with your comment. Having spent 50 years with livestock, horses are not like dogs, who will stay with their master. Quite a few riders have had the pleasure of a long walk back to the barn.

Yes-- I agree that it's a horse's nature to return home, and leave its rider to the walk of shame but I don't believe Gunny was yet familiar here-- and especially if she was trailered to the Ridge, I believe her temperament would be to stay and/or return to Ben. MOO

A previous post and link I made. KR was specific about his thoughts on Gunny ‘s location and lack of tracks. Reposting to emphasize “other side of mountain”

Missing cowboy leaves no trace - Merritt Herald

There is no sign of Tyren coming from the ranch, Robinson stressed.

“But now I think they believe because that horse would have had to fly from Nicola Ranch to get where I found him without leaving a track,” Robinson said. “I would say it is almost 100 per cent impossible for anybody to leave that ranch and try and hide their tracks and be successful.”

“I tried to tell them that Monday night when the police stopped me from going up there, that is why I went around the mountain,” Robinson said. “I told the search and rescue up there ‘Don’t waste your time and energy looking in this direction because a horse did not come from [the Nicola Ranch side of the mountain].”

Police told Global News they have been investigating the possibility that the horse was driven into the area with a truck and trailer, but said Wednesday they had not made contact with anyone who may have transported the animal.

Nothing new to report and no updates to family according to admin of page. Seems they are trying to organize and get permission for a private search. Many still willing and able to do so.

MISSING: BEN TYNER

"Hoping to receive an update soon so a search party can be organized and resume. It really is tough when you don’t have any answers...I’m trying believe me. I CAN TELL AS OF RIGHT NOW THERE HAS BEEN NOTHING NEW TO REPORT AND THE FAMILY IS ALSO BEEN WITHOUT ANY UPDATES."

The family must be livid.

My cousin was murdered several years ago and an aquaintance's son was recently missing. Police only seem to deal in absolutes. The either absolutely have a supsect in custody or they absoluley don't and in between they offer little information. The little they do offer is only things that won't compromise their investigation, if it's leaked to the media. It may also explain why the ranch owner has been so quiet as well.

My cousin was murdered several years ago and an aquaintance's son was recently missing. Police only seem to deal in absolutes. The either absolutely have a supsect in custody or they absoluley don't and in between they offer little information. The little they do offer is only things that won't compromise their investigation, if it's leaked to the media. It may also explain why the ranch owner has been so quiet as well.
You make a good point. And I realize that's probably the case that if they have a suspect or suspects on their radar (going they do), they will not be forthcoming with info in that regards. And, my guess is that family would also be close-mouthed about any info they may have been given.

As far as the ranch owner is concerned, it's still a bit of a mystery as to why he (they) never made any statement about Ben. Even when he was first missing and it was thought to be a possible riding accident, there was nothing except from TS, the office manager. And that was mainly a reaction to his being missing and the condition of the horse. I have yet to see any statement from NR expressing concern or sympathy for this case. IMO

Update on request to search privately, from admin of page

"Okay everyone. What I did get back was The ranch and area they do not want searched due to their investigation and liability reasons . They have not said that formally a search can be organized outside of that area but we have to remember if you come across anything , do not disturb it and report it ASAP. Myself I wouldn’t search just for that fact we could disturb something that they are looking for and could ruin the investigation. The case has been handed over from local RCMP to the South East Major Special Crimes Unit.

You make a good point. And I realize that's probably the case that if they have a suspect or suspects on their radar (going they do), they will not be forthcoming with info in that regards. And, my guess is that family would also be close-mouthed about any info they may have been given.

As far as the ranch owner is concerned, it's still a bit of a mystery as to why he (they) never made any statement about Ben. Even when he was first missing and it was thought to be a possible riding accident, there was nothing except from TS, the office manager. And that was mainly a reaction to his being missing and the condition of the horse. I have yet to see any statement from NR expressing concern or sympathy for this case. IMO

I've always thought it made them look insensitive and incredibly cold but I got wondering a bit more about finances and who Ben was actually working for.

If things were that tough financially, Ben may have been hired to turn things around but there was some delay because of his father's injury. I deal with people clients who end up in financial problems and ironically, even when they can see the proverbial train, they delay taking action until it's too late.

I keep wondering if Ben was working for the bank instead of the owner and they may not be as inclined to make a statement and that may explain the owner's lack of desire to at least seem like they care.

I've always thought it made them look insensitive and incredibly cold but I got wondering a bit more about finances and who Ben was actually working for.

If things were that tough financially, Ben may have been hired to turn things around but there was some delay because of his father's injury. I deal with people clients who end up in financial problems and ironically, even when they can see the proverbial train, they delay taking action until it's too late.

I keep wondering if Ben was working for the bank instead of the owner and they may not be as inclined to make a statement and that may explain the owner's lack of desire to at least seem like they care.
Could be, but FYI Ben and the owner are friends on FB. So it seems they must have met somewhere.

I’ve wondered as well if the court ordered the ranch to operate under guidance of a professional GM, again.
Abrupt changes were made after the patriarch (former owner) passed away. Of course we know the ranch was struggling financially. Sometimes, silence speaks louder than words, imo.
Possibly the estate settlement comes into play?
Jmo

Update on request to search privately, from admin of page

"Okay everyone. What I did get back was The ranch and area they do not want searched due to their investigation and liability reasons . They have not said that formally a search can be organized outside of that area but we have to remember if you come across anything , do not disturb it and report it ASAP. Myself I wouldn’t search just for that fact we could disturb something that they are looking for and could ruin the investigation. The case has been handed over from local RCMP to the South East Major Special Crimes Unit.

Well, right back to the ranch we gallop......
Search if you’re out & about, hiking, riding 4 wheeling, just don’t disturb the crime scene, NR.
Moo. (my take on FB admin’ statement)

Could be, but FYI Ben and the owner are friends on FB. So it seems they must have met somewhere.

I do think if ordered to have pro’ GM, maybe by a trustee, the owner would still need to agree to the person? Do you? Moo
As this is speculation, based on the financial duress NR apparently had.

I do think if ordered to have pro’ GM, maybe by a trustee, the owner would still need to agree to the person? Do you? Moo
As this is speculation, based on the financial duress NR apparently had.
Absolutely. I can't see anyone being hired to manage (AND live on the premises as part of a contract) to be brought on board without meeting and approval of ranch owner(s).

Depending on when Ben actually applied, was interviewed and was offered the position, I'd imagine ranch owner would be involved in the process for this manager position. Maybe then cattle boss, maintenance positions, and other job hirings would be left to a manager, aka Ben. So the manager position would need to be a trusted hire.

Absolutely. I can't see anyone being hired to manage (AND live on the premises as part of a contract) to be brought on board without meeting and approval of ranch owners(s).

Depending on when Ben actually applied, was interviewed and was offered the position, I'd imagine ranch owner would be involved in the process for this manager position. Maybe then cattle boss, maintenance positions, and other job hirings would be left to a manager, aka Ben. So the manager position would need to be a trusted hire.
I’m wondering also if Ben’s first order of biz was to conduct a most thorough inventory, perhaps to aid in the estate settlement of the preious owner?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back