Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be alone on this but I just can't get over the fact that a man in a town of 2,882 would go to a popular bridge and abduct and murder 2 girls and not be recognized. I grew up in a small town and everyone knew everyone! IMO, for no one to have recognized this man at the scene, he was most likely from out of town. Or was wearing something to disguise his identity.

I really think our habits have changed to the point we don't even know our neighbors any more. Two income families. Online on phones the rest of the time. At least that's how I feel. I think people with children in school are more likely to connect. That's what I see where I live.

I may be alone on this but I just can't get over the fact that a man in a town of 2,882 would go to a popular bridge and abduct and murder 2 girls and not be recognized. I grew up in a small town and everyone knew everyone! IMO, for no one to have recognized this man at the scene, he was most likely from out of town. Or was wearing something to disguise his identity.
I also grew up in a small town in Ohio where in the last few years a horrific abduction/ murder occurred. The perp did live close by and had a previous conviction for abduction. If he is close to 30 I will bet he has had some run ins with LE. Question? Did Abby and Libby go to this place often? Were they just in the wrong place with this person or did he stalk them out?

ok I'm confused....we can't discount the first sketch bc that looks like the guy in the video but that sketch is now secondary, but the guy in the video is the same guy in the new sketch? And, we can't discount the video bc of his gait? So, are both the same guy?

Do I have that right?

Same guy, the new sketch is thought to be a better representation of what he looks like. The video never us much in terms of facial details, so I’m not sure if we can say the original sketch looked more like the video. I don’t think they want the public to discount anything, but to keep in mind that his gait was impacted by the fact that he was stepping over railroad ties.

The reference to the book/movie The Shack is interesting...
I wonder if perhaps the killer was quoting phrases from the Book at the crime scene while Libby’s phone was still recording and they recently figured out that that is where they came from and are letting the killer know that they know this.
As well, maybe the killer gave this book to a family member after the murders. I say this, because after my stepdaughter’s murder 11 years ago someone gave us this book as a means to try to come to terms with the murder. Maybe the police know exactly who gave a family member this book, maybe it was extremely out of character and the family reported this to LE that it was strange, maybe this person also looks just like the sketch... maybe LE knows exactly who this person is...but all the evidence so far is circumstantial and they want to make sure they have absolute concrete evidence so they can ensure a guilty verdict. Just musing about The Shack reference...it and the mention of the parked car is likely directed to the killer to let them know that they do have all this circumstantial evidence and that they know exactly who they are.
Just some musings..

Yes, or a kid who grew up in the area and went away to a local college (Purdue?) and was home that week. I'd be looking at religious families who have a college aged son.

I believe that you and I suspect the same thing. Some college aged kid with a difficult past and history of being bullied by kids at the age of 13 or 14. Religious.

Last edited:
I do believe yesterday was a turning point in this case.

None of the PC was a ruse meant to deceive anyone. Every word spoken, and emotion was honest, genuinely raw, and real.

I do believe they got the new sketch using Parabon, but instead of releasing that image they made a sketch from it.

I read Parabon was contacted by the media about whether they were involved in this case ,and both LE, and Parabon said 'no comment.'

Imo they want BG to believe a new witness has now come forward that saw him without his cap, and much closer up.

Imo, they want him to be on guard now, knowing he has relaxed in the last year or so, while hiding in plain sight.

I felt all along BG was from this same area, and the killer wasnt someone just passing through. I think he could have seen the girls dropped off that day, and took full advantage of the opportunity.

I also never felt he was older. I think the age range given yesterday is correct. I also never thought his clothing would only be worn by someone much older. It's pretty generic, and I've seen from young to old have the same attire.

His gait reminds of someone who has been in a motorcycle or perhaps an ATV accident causing some type of permanent injury to his leg.

I think the tips are flooding in now.

Jmo though.

Yet, in the article yesterday they said that the second sketch we just saw was made three days after the Murder by one of the police department guys. They even stated his name. He did the second sketch, another person did the others first sketch. It is not a new sketch, it is not a sketch that was done after a parabon either.

If they have DNA, why isn't LE looking into familiar DNA or family DNA, by researching his family tree... DNA DOE PROJECT and others have amazing results with building a reverse family tree...

We dont know they havent done just that. Still may not have found anyone that would help them know who the killer is.

Imo they do have DNA from the killer, but of course LE doesnt want the suspect to know they have it. Even the family has been told they do have his DNA.

So far they havent found anyway to match his DNA.

But once he is arrested the first thing they will do is go to a judge for a SW so they can take his DNA, and possibly head, and pubic hairs.

I suspect he may be on the younger side of the age scale, and may have never had any reason to give his DNA.

Imo

The oddities of the news conference:

3) "Abandoned" car. Normal description of a car that is now gone would be "parked" car. That seemed odd. Abandoned means you have it in your possession or it sat there for days. But if it was really abandoned, LE would have that license plate the day the girls were found and they could find the owner or borrower quickly.

Any other thoughts on what was odd?
I believe LE's statement on the car was poorly worded. I had a difficult time trying to determine if Carter meant it was an abandoned car OR was it was a car parked near an abandoned building. One news site showed a map and indicated an address on West 300 N (6814?). Also I believe he stated the building was the 'old' DPS/CPS building on W 300 near the Hoosier Heartland Hwy. If you do a Google search you find the DPS/CPS (IN Dept of Protective Services/Child Protective Services) is not at that location but in downtown Delphi and nowhere near the trail. If this address on W 300 is correct it is right across from the trailhead. A car parked in front an abandoned building might stick out to those driving by.
But, yes, ALL of this seems odd to me as well.

My initial thought after hearing/reading was that the family would know exactly who this is based on the newly released (yet actually the oldest) sketch and the request was to prevent any slips that could jeopardize the case.
Maybe the two week thing was really a subtitle message to shake the perp... u got 2 weeks man!

Carter said, "For more than two years, you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy, but we have."

Huh? I don't know how this -- what Carter said -- even makes sense.

I think it’s the sketch. Maybe BG is closer than we all think and maybe someone has given him an alibi? Maybe BG or someone close to him knows there was a second sketch and it looked more like him than the first sketch.
Maybe he thought they would never use that sketch because it might be a total embarrassment to LE because it’s so different from the first? It took them over two years to make the decision to show that sketch. Maybe that’s the different investigative strategy? An eyewitness gave that info and disagreed with the sketch that was released so maybe that was known around town?

Responding to myself.

When he first walks out at the press conference and says, "I gotta say to the Delphi community...." then he pauses and looks at the crowd. His eyes look like eagle eyes - very sharp!

I think he spots BG (my guess, not fact).

He then repeats, "I gotta say to the Delphi community...." and he soon gets emotional. My GUESS is that his emotions are a reaction to seeing BG and knowing he is right there, a killer, a betrayer....and they can't grab him yet.

He will never give up on this case, imo.

jmo

I agree with you regarding spotting BG in the crowd. Looking at some pictures posted on Twitter there is one person who does appear to look like the new sketch. IMO.

Re the presser: Is the age range of 18-40 as quoted by LE - is this connected to the use of the word 'guys' as in those born after 1980 used the term 'guys' to include both males and females... was it not in common usage prior to the 80's?
Born in the Midwest, here. My siblings and I, born in the early 60s through early 70s all use “you guys.” And often.

I can't decide if there was a hidden message in the reference to "The Shack" or not. On the one hand, the plot is about the death of a child in the woods, possibly by a serial killer, and how her father comes to terms with his grief. It's a religious movie. Since the reference to the movie came when Carter was speaking about the girls being in Heaven and evil in the world, it could just be that he, like many others who watched the film, found some solace in the film's message.

Or BG could literally live in a shack somewhere. It's really hard to say.
I really feel like the perp is a conforter type that maybe told someone about the movie to comfort them

A couple of things come to mind. I live in a very small rural community. As I drive around town I notice things. Like a car parked in a certain spot that seems outta place. Part of this observation is due to being on WEBSLEUTHS and self-awareness. I don’t find it hard to believe that someone would recall the parked car that is being discussed. But that’s me.

Also a question for @mtnlites. I am intrigued by your local knowledge. With the release of the new sketch - do you believe it’s clear enough that someone would recognize that person? Would your relatives be familiar enough with the folks who live in Delphi to put a name with a face?

I agree with you regarding spotting BG in the crowd. Looking at some pictures posted on Twitter there is one person who does appear to look like the new sketch. IMO.

I'm sure everyone in that room were side eying each other. It would be so uncomfortable for even an innocent person, I'm sure if the perp was there he was sweating bullets when they pulled off that red canvas MOO

This.
Teachers often call their students “guys”.
It implies a casual non-threatening relationship, and to be honest, used when a teacher who sees/knows many students can’t quite remember names at a given moment. A teacher would say “Ok guys, let’s all sit down and turn to page 27.”

A teacher would have been off on the school holiday that terrible day in February 2017 just like Abby & Libby were. Were Delphi schools off yesterday, Easter Monday? Schools in my area were out. If Delphi schools were out, the presser could have been strategically scheduled for a school holiday after inviting the public to attend. That would allow a teacher to attend. If the families were told the perp could have been a local teacher, that would be shocking and upsetting to them.

I am a teacher, and as much as this theory troubles me, it is preferable to me than the thought of a family member or LE being involved.
It makes sense to me that a teacher, or perhaps a coach or church member as others have mentioned, would have overheard their plans for their day off.
Could he have done/said something creepy to one of the girls, heard them discussing reporting him, and decided they both had to go?
If it were a family member (and I can’t imagine they could’ve hidden in plain sight this long), you’d think one family would’ve emerged looing a lot more disgusted than the other. Granted, I haven’t seen footage to say either way.

I can't believe how little conversation this is generating!! Thought I would be coming back to multiple threads to try and catch up on.

I wonder why they are so convinced that somebody else knows? Many killers have committed horrendous crimes and their family/friends/neighbours have been utterly shocked when the truth comes out and would nevrr have expected it.

Why are they so sure that isn't the case here?
What makes me curious whether the PC was a plea to a particular person, who might know something, were some of the various things LE said: (paraphrasing) "we've talked to you or someone you know," "we have a witness," "you've told somebody," "what will those closest to you think of you," and " the driver or owner of a car parked in front of abandoned building." The "coward" comment was said so softly and quickly that it expressed sickness more than taunting, IMO, and talking about the way the girls were left...the killer knows how the hell he left them. But someone who is covering for him needs to be reminded, over and over, what he's done. He's not worth covering for. I'm wondering if they've been talking to somebody who they think is lying. They remind this person that they are not the responsible party - there was only one killer. All JMO.

On another note, I think the video of BG looks like he has about three shirts on, one with a hood up around his neck. Instead of the heavier set chin and neck like in the old sketch, maybe it's a collar/hood we're seeing covering the lower half of his face. And a baseball hat. It's really hard to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member