VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

Bill Thomas,

Condolences to your family on the loss of your sister. I hope these cases are solved soon. It is just crazy that the LE are sitting on the DNA... Unfortunately, these are not the only cases to not be solved because of botched investigations...

Here is a tidbit that seemed interesting to me... especially considering that Michael Nicholaou was in the military... and that there seems to be some connection in these couples with the Navy...

Is kerosene and diesel the same thing?
Difference is the parafin/ wax content or long chain hydrocarbon molecules 10-18 molecules per chain for thicker oil products. kero has less heat per gallon than #2diesel, kerosene burns much cleaner with less BTU per gallon, Kerosene and jet fuel are the same thing just filtered better.Dec 19, 2007
Kerosene vs Diesel - What's The Difference? - Practical Machinist

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/.../kerosene-vs-diesel-whats-difference-147924/

...this is what stood out to me... "Kerosene and jet fuel are the same thing just filtered better..."

So, I wonder if the fuel that was on the vehicle was either kerosene or even jet fuel...

Hi, This is my first post in forever, but I have taken a renewed interest in this series of cases. (And I want to acknowledge Bill Thomas for his dogged persistence.)

I call my interest "renewed" because I grew up in York County, and I lived there when the first murders occurred. I left the area in the winter of '87 (for Fredericksburg), and only some years later did I learn of the other, potentially related, unsolved crimes. I have followed these cases ever since, with the disclaimer that information has been sparse.

I'd like to see some thoughts on the foundations of the crimes, namely ...

1. Do you believe the crimes are connected (some, all or none)? I ask this based on known information; I am aware that DNA may have already addressed this question to some extent, but, to my knowledge, nothing about the DNA has been made public.

2. Without regard to whether the crimes were or weren't connected, do you believe each crime was committed by a single person or by two or more persons?

3. What do you think would be plausible motives?

I have some thoughts on all this based on known evidence, but I'm not going to share them unless others show interest in discussing them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some thoughts on the foundations of the crimes, namely ...

2. Without regard to whether the crimes were or weren't connected, do you believe each crime was committed by a single person or by two or more persons?

3. What do you think would be plausible motives?

I have some thoughts on all this based on known evidence, but I'm not going to share them unless others show interest in discussing them.

Thanks.

Hi. I am new to this forum, as well as to these cases. However, one thing that impressed me in reading some of the theories about who might have committed these crimes is that they do all seem to be connected... and Michael Nicholaou is my prime suspect for these and a number of other murders. He would have been perfectly capable of carrying them out by himself. Also, given his military training and mental health status he could easily have done it, posing as a ranger (green military outfit?), or possibly smoking pot with them to get them sedated...and, he would have been very comfortable in the woods. As for a motive, it sounds like he was obsessed with "the one that got away" (namely Michelle, who probably was, in fact, murdered by Michael...). All of the women in the parkway murders bore a striking resemblance to her except for Cathleen Thomas. If he had convinced himself that she ran away with another guy then it is very possible that whenever he saw someone that resembled her in a parked car with another lover that he lost his mind and killed them... reliving the experience over and over again (like flashbacks with PTSD)...

State charges dismissed before federal charges. This would appear to prevent VA from sharing DNA with FBI.

NDIS sample would have to be taken by FBI from RLJ or from evidence. It appears very unlikely collected from evidence. With only weeks between federal charges and conviction, would appear plea in place when removed state court and federal charges filed. If that is correct, then unlikely FBI tested evidence. As to testing the evidence now for DNA, Federal law looks very strict on when existing evidence can be tested after conviction. Appears federal law may prevent FBI from getting DNA off of evidence unless new trial. Possibly interestingly, RLJ filed appeal with argument of inadequate counsel that appears would be one of the few exceptions under which existing evidence can be tested. RLJ motion contested by federal prosecutor and denied by judge. I could be wrong but if RLJ claimed innocent and granted a new trial, don't believe he could have existing evidence tested. Was the gun ever tested for DNA? If DNA profile not developed or collected before conviction, does federal law allow FBI to secure post conviction sample solely for NDIS or would the sample have to be part of new testing of evidence for re-trial? If sample allowed, did FBI secure sample and if so, when? Is the backlog really 8 years?
Dum:

What testing backlog are you referring to here?
Thanks.

Bill Thomas, Brother of Cathy Thomas, Colonial Parkway Murders

Bill Thomas,

Condolences to your family on the loss of your sister. I hope these cases are solved soon. It is just crazy that the LE are sitting on the DNA... Unfortunately, these are not the only cases to not be solved because of botched investigations...

Here is a tidbit that seemed interesting to me... especially considering that Michael Nicholaou was in the military... and that there seems to be some connection in these couples with the Navy...

Is kerosene and diesel the same thing?
Difference is the parafin/ wax content or long chain hydrocarbon molecules 10-18 molecules per chain for thicker oil products. kero has less heat per gallon than #2diesel, kerosene burns much cleaner with less BTU per gallon, Kerosene and jet fuel are the same thing just filtered better.Dec 19, 2007
Kerosene vs Diesel - What's The Difference? - Practical Machinist

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/.../kerosene-vs-diesel-whats-difference-147924/

...this is what stood out to me... "Kerosene and jet fuel are the same thing just filtered better..."

So, I wonder if the fuel that was on the vehicle was either kerosene or even jet fuel...
Happy:

Just catching up a bit after moving from the west coast to the east coast. Still renovating and unpacking boxes but we are getting there.

From the very start of the case 32 years ago after Cathy and Becky's murder, the FBI always said kerosene or diesel used in an attempt to set Cathy's Honda Civic on fire after the murders. In recent years they have said diesel, but they may be just saving words. I usually say kerosene or diesel fuel to this day. What is odd to me is who has access to diesel but does not understand its ignition properties? They had it, but didn't understand how to make it burn.

Thanks.

This article in the New York Times on forensic genealogy mentions the Colonial Parkway Murders. You can read a certain number of articles for free even if you are not a subscriber.

"Sooner or Later Your Cousin’s DNA Is Going to Solve a Murder"

www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/us/golden-state-killer-dna.html

Thanks.

Very excited to have #ColonialParkwayMurders picked up to series @Oxygen, produced by XG Productions in Los Angeles and Texas Crew Productions in Austin.

I serve as Consulting Producer on the TV project. No, Kim Kardashian does not appear in our series.

Oxygen Media Announces New Projects With Kim Kardashian, Mark Wahlberg And Others

#FBI #VirginiaStatePolice #truecrime
Outstanding!!! Any time you can get that kind of exposure it keeps it in the public's eye. And may continue to remind someone to provide that one crucial tip.

It is good to see that there is going to be a new documentary about these cases and I hope they get solved for the victims relatives who have been waiting for a very long time. So far all theories appear to have failed including mine although I still struggle to believe Ralph Jackson committed his first crime in Virginia aged 56 and to me there is a logic in a Parkway shooter being the Colonial Parkway Killer. I hope this documentary though will finally crack the case for the victims relatives:

Oxygen explores The Lover’s Lane Murders true crime series

I just want to quote part of the report about the upcoming program that I posted above and make a point about it. LE or a Park Ranger has always been a possible theory in this case but I favour the clever psychopath posing as one to catch the victims off guard similar to as happened in the 1984 Blue Parkway Rape case and to me it was a military man reliving his exploits in far flung south Asia:

Which begs the question, was the perpetrator a law enforcement officer or perhaps a clever psychopath who posed as one? Hordes of investigators devoted tons of man hours to hunt for the person responsible for these heinous acts but the suspect was never found. The killing stopped abruptly.

I just want to quote part of the report about the upcoming program that I posted above and make a point about it. LE or a Park Ranger has always been a possible theory in this case but I favour the clever psychopath posing as one to catch the victims off guard similar to as happened in the 1984 Blue Parkway Rape case and to me it was a military man reliving his exploits in far flung south Asia:

Which begs the question, was the perpetrator a law enforcement officer or perhaps a clever psychopath who posed as one? Hordes of investigators devoted tons of man hours to hunt for the person responsible for these heinous acts but the suspect was never found. The killing stopped abruptly.
Not a new theory. This has been the theory in the Route 29 Killer cases in northern VA. And I believe that theory was posed here but I've heard less about it in recent years. The other lesser known theory was the fact that the Colonial Parkway is not far from Camp Peary - the CIA's base for training field agents - and maybe this was some trainee or staff member trying out his 'trade craft'. Although that theory hasn't really gotten much traction over the years.

Very excited to have #ColonialParkwayMurders picked up to series @Oxygen, produced by XG Productions in Los Angeles and Texas Crew Productions in Austin.

I serve as Consulting Producer on the TV project. No, Kim Kardashian does not appear in our series.

Oxygen Media Announces New Projects With Kim Kardashian, Mark Wahlberg And Others

I can’t wait to see it! I admire your determination over the years to see this case solved.

Not a new theory. This has been the theory in the Route 29 Killer cases in northern VA. And I believe that theory was posed here but I've heard less about it in recent years. The other lesser known theory was the fact that the Colonial Parkway is not far from Camp Peary - the CIA's base for training field agents - and maybe this was some trainee or staff member trying out his 'trade craft'. Although that theory hasn't really gotten much traction over the years.

I believe the killer in both the Colonial Parkway and Route 29 murders was someone who had reason to move away from the area or moved away on his own afterwards. As you pointed out, Camp Peary is near the Colonial Parkway, and Quantico is a reasonable distance from Route 29.

Great news Bill. The national exposure will help to bring awareness to the cases. And hopefully it will indirectly help give LE whatever they need to eventually file charges against someone.

I learned about the Colonial Parkway cases when I first followed the Morgan Harrington case years ago. I think of you and your sister's case often and until someone is held accountable, we are here with you hoping and praying that someday soon that will happen.

Congrats on your efforts and keep up the good fight.

My theory is the Blue Park Rape case may be related to the Colonial Parkway Murders attacks but this time the offender committed a very serious sexual assault. I watched a Forensic Files program on it once and this suggested there were a number of rapes on the parkway. Here is an interesting article which I want to post part of:

Around 3 a.m. a big, beefy, mustachioed man in camouflage fatigues rapped on the car window. He identified himself as a policeman, then drew a gun and ordered the man to run off into the brush and the woman to get into his 4-by-4 truck. The abductor drove to a remote cabin several curlicue miles away. He began by spanking his victim, then -- escalating to death threats -- bullied her into performing a marathon of sex acts in the flatbed of his truck. During rest breaks, he offered her hits of whiskey and marijuana. According to the woman's trial testimony, the man rambled "completely off the wall" about Vietnam and a "Lieutenant Kolacky."

After several hours the stranger dropped the shaken woman back at Big Spy overlook, mentioning that he was heading home to Roanoke.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...dd3-99b0-68645517cecb/?utm_term=.be5c3bc29d51

My theory is the Blue Park Rape case may be related to the Colonial Parkway Murders attacks but this time the offender committed a very serious sexual assault. I watched a Forensic Files program on it once and this suggested there were a number of rapes on the parkway. Here is an interesting article which I want to post part of:

Around 3 a.m. a big, beefy, mustachioed man in camouflage fatigues rapped on the car window. He identified himself as a policeman, then drew a gun and ordered the man to run off into the brush and the woman to get into his 4-by-4 truck. The abductor drove to a remote cabin several curlicue miles away. He began by spanking his victim, then -- escalating to death threats -- bullied her into performing a marathon of sex acts in the flatbed of his truck. During rest breaks, he offered her hits of whiskey and marijuana. According to the woman's trial testimony, the man rambled "completely off the wall" about Vietnam and a "Lieutenant Kolacky."

After several hours the stranger dropped the shaken woman back at Big Spy overlook, mentioning that he was heading home to Roanoke.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...dd3-99b0-68645517cecb/?utm_term=.be5c3bc29d51

What this attack might give you is a good example of how the offender may have approached the victims in the Colonial Parkway Murder cases if connected and of course that is if they are connected. What this shows is the offender used a truck and posed as an authority figure and had a military background and likely served in Vietnam. I do not think the military rant was a red herring as one of my relatives used to say it was just the booze talking but true.

Could you share where this attack took place? The article is not allowing access without a subscription.

Thanks for the post if you are referring to the Blue Parkway 1984 rape case I will try but I do not have many subscriptions myself and there is not that much information on this case now. Also I am still a member of the European Community just so cannot view all articles at the moment. The way I look at it with my suspect is it was another attack on the Blue Parkway.

I am watching the Forensic File, Season 3, episode 10 on Youtube you cite previously. So if the stocky white male who committed the crime on the Blue Ridge Parkway was indeed in his 30s in 1984, that would put him in his seventies or early eighties now. Does that match your suspect's age, Jaejae?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back