Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 22 Press Conference transcript:

<news announcer>
Doug Carter and he has taken the stand. We'll take a listen in.

<audio cuts in to Superintendent Carter>
... the Delphi community how grateful I am you inspire people you don't even understand and you don't even understand why. Information is being released today is the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of extraordinary investigative efforts by Delphi Carroll County, the FBI, the Indiana State Police and countless other agencies. This community surrounded us some twenty six months ago and you did everything you could to support us but most importantly you surrounded the family of these two little girls. Gosh I'll never forget it. After you hear what we're going to release today I'm going to ask for your continued support, your continued understanding, your empathy and compassion as we move forward to find out who did this and we will.

We're seeking the public's help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi that was abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North next to the Hoosier Heartland highway between the hours of noon to 5:00 on February 14th 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi city building.

We are releasing additional portions of the audio recorded from that day. Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is not two different people speaking. Please listen to it very, very carefully. We are also releasing video recovered from Libby's phone. This video has never before been previously released. The video shows a suspect walking on the bridge. When you see the video watch the watch the person's mannerisms as they walk. Watch the mannerisms as he walks. Do you recognize the mannerisms as being someone that you might know? Remember he is walking on a former railroad bridge. Because of the deteriorated condition of the bridge the suspect is not walking naturally due to the spacing between the ties.

During the course of this investigation we have concluded the first sketch released will become secondary as of today. The result of the new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe the sketch which you will see shortly is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls. We also believe this person is from Delphi. Currently or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis or works here. We believe this person is currently between the age range of 18 and 40 but might appear younger than its true age.

Directly to the killer who may be in this room. We believe you are hiding in plain sight. For more than two years you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy but we have. We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you. We know that this is about power to you and you want to know what we know. And one day you will.

The question to you: what will those closest to you think of they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls, two children? Only a coward would do such a thing.

We are confident that you have told someone what you have done or at the very least they know because how different you are since the murders. We try so hard to understand how a person could do something like this to to two chil to two children. I recently watched a movie called The Shack and there's also a book that talks so well about evil, about death and about eternity. To the murderer I believe you have just a little bit of a conscience left and I can assure you that how you left them in that woods is not, is not what they are experiencing today.

The family. I hope that you all will give them some time because we're going to be asking that there's no media inquiry or no media response for at least the next two weeks and I hope you understand why. The family found out about this about this information this morning. I just want the family to know that when I take my last breath on this earth I'll be thinking of them. There's going to be a tremendous amount of <unintelligble> I know that. I know that. Never in my career have I stood in front of something like this. Please be patient with us. Please. We're just beginning. We are we are just now beginning. That I can tell you on behalf of the sheriff and the police chief so many other partners that have stood with us over this period of time that we will not stop.

-- Other officer ..
I just unveiled the person that we believe responsible for the murder of these two little girls so I invite media to take a look at that now. Kim.

We're also going to show you a video not previously released that superintendent spoke to and also the audio that's additional to what's been previously released. It's only a slight change in it. So give Sergeant Riley just a second as he gets that up and ready.
<plays audio>
Stand by for the video please. There is no sound of the video.
<plays video> As Superintendent Carter mentioned. He is on the railway bridge. You have to take different steps to get to it. This information later this afternoon will be on the state police website. For the community that's here we have 100 copies of the news release. If you put in that URL you'll be able to get to that site to play it. And we also have that same release for you in the media and the rest of the state we'll get that released in about 15 minutes. So we appreciate those of you that came here. This concludes our announcement. Thank you for your time patience and courtesy.
<end>

I know we all hope a suspect is identified soon... But, if not... What will be the next step by LE? If the new leads don't shake something loose then what's the plan in this new direction? Anyone have theories?

First of all, I can imagine there *might* be some anger this info wasn’t released sooner. The families will need more time to process. To be fair, they have always been supportive of the investigation and all the investigators.

Two weeks is what Carter asked the media to give the families. Not sure that has worked out, seeing a video posted here earlier where a reporter has already spoken with at least one family member.

The next step would be to look through these new tips pouring in. Hope one of them works out, and doubly hope multiple tips are headed in the same direction.

"Guys" and "you guys" was definitely used before 1980 to refer to both males and females. It was bandied about as a distinct marker for a non-Southerner, as a Southerner would say "y'all" and a Northerner or Midwesterner would say "you guys." And I suppose someone from Pittsburgh would say "Yinz" so we can safely say the perp is 1) not a Southerner 2) not from Pittsburgh
Where I come from "guys" can be for girls or boys and it is a term of familiarity. When I'm hiking our town's trail with my nieces, anyone we see, friends, school mates etc acknowledge us with " hey guys " strangers say " hi ladies". I say " hey guys" to my son's friends, but kids I don't know I address " hey students" or " young man".

I think a disguise has only been speculated here on this thread.

“Asked why a sketch created in 2017 was only now being released -- as the centerpiece of a press conference -- a state police spokesperson told Fox News on Tuesday the agency is not commenting on investigative techniques.

But on Monday, officials said the new image came about after some bit of new information that had been "continuously reviewed and examined." Authorities said the image "more accurately" depicted the face of the suspect from video recorded on German's cell phone while she and Abigail were on the High Bridge...”
'New' Delphi suspect sketch was drawn days after murders of 2 Indiana girls, artist says

Interesting as I thought the opposite -- sketch #1 most resembled the still photo of BG released just days after murder. Other than the hat, I don't recall other disclaimers made about the suspect sketch #1 including disguise. Only disguise I can think of is heavier clothing for the temperatures on that date.

Also interesting is that the sketch artist of drawing #2 himself
has told us that the sketches are not exact, Bryant said. The renderings are a "ballpark estimation of what the person looks like."

Master Trooper Taylor Bryant, a sketch artist with Indiana State Police who drew the new sketch, told IndyStar a sketch is based on how a particular witness describes the suspect. If there are several witnesses, Bryant would draw a sketch for each description. Bryant did not draw the sketch that police released in July 2017.

"The witness is the main focus. So there’s no input from law enforcement at all in the generating of a sketch, other than my presence as the artist."

Bryant uses a "facial identification reference sheet" that has a list of different categories, from head shapes to different eyebrows and noses. The person will describe the suspect based on those categories. "(It's) easier to do that than to describe (the suspect) using just words," Bryant said.

Delphi murders: New sketch of killer, video from Libby's phone released

So some random guy finds 2 teenage girls hiking and murders them?

Hmmmm..... I dont know man. I just dont know.
The guy in the video is clearly shocked and intrigued as he turns his head and spits. The person in the video has a predatory feel to him. Opportunity is essential for a predator that's why most serial killer victims are vulnerable people like hikers, dates, prostitutes etc. The guy in the video to me was firing on all portions of his brain when he turned his head.

<news announcer>

... the Delphi community how grateful I am you inspire people you don't even understand and you don't even understand why. Information is being released today is the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of extraordinary investigative efforts by Delphi Carroll County, the FBI, the Indiana State Police and countless other agencies. This community surrounded us some twenty six months ago and you did everything you could to support us but most importantly you surrounded the family of these two little girls. Gosh I'll never forget it. After you hear what we're going to release today I'm going to ask for your continued support, your continued understanding, your empathy and compassion as we move forward to find out who did this and we will.

We're seeking the public's help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi that was abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North next to the Hoosier Heartland highway between the hours of noon to 5:00 on February 14th 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi city building.

We are releasing additional portions of the audio recorded from that day. Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is not two different people speaking. Please listen to it very, very carefully. We are also releasing video recovered from Libby's phone. This video has never before been previously released. The video shows a suspect walking on the bridge. When you see the video watch the watch the person's mannerisms as they walk. Watch the mannerisms as he walks. Do you recognize the mannerisms as being someone that you might know? Remember he is walking on a former railroad bridge. Because of the deteriorated condition of the bridge the suspect is not walking naturally due to the spacing between the ties.

During the course of this investigation we have concluded the first sketch released will become secondary as of today. The result of the new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe the sketch which you will see shortly is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls. We also believe this person is from Delphi. Currently or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis or works here. We believe this person is currently between the age range of 18 and 40 but might appear younger than its true age.

Directly to the killer who may be in this room. We believe you are hiding in plain sight. For more than two years you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy but we have. We likely have interviewed you or someone close to you. We know that this is about power to you and you want to know what we know. And one day you will.

The question to you: what will those closest to you think of they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls, two children? Only a coward would do such a thing.

We are confident that you have told someone what you have done or at the very least they know because how different you are since the murders. We try so hard to understand how a person could do something like this to to two chil to two children. I recently watched a movie called The Shack and there's also a book that talks so well about evil, about death and about eternity. To the murderer I believe you have just a little bit of a conscience left and I can assure you that how you left them in that woods is not, is not what they are experiencing today.

The family. I hope that you all will give them some time because we're going to be asking that there's no media inquiry or no media response for at least the next two weeks and I hope you understand why. The family found out about this about this information this morning. I just want the family to know that when I take my last breath on this earth I'll be thinking of them. There's going to be a tremendous amount of <unintelligble> I know that. I know that. Never in my career have I stood in front of something like this. Please be patient with us. Please. We're just beginning. We are we are just now beginning. That I can tell you on behalf of the sheriff and the police chief so many other partners that have stood with us over this period of time that we will not stop.

-- Other officer ..
I just unveiled the person that we believe responsible for the murder of these two little girls so I invite media to take a look at that now. Kim.

We're also going to show you a video not previously released that superintendent spoke to and also the audio that's additional to what's been previously released. It's only a slight change in it. So give Sergeant Riley just a second as he gets that up and ready.
<plays audio>
<plays video> As Superintendent Carter mentioned. He is on the railway bridge. You have to take different steps to get to it. This information later this afternoon will be on the state police website. For the community that's here we have 100 copies of the news release. If you put in that URL you'll be able to get to that site to play it. And we also have that same release for you in the media and the rest of the state we'll get that released in about 15 minutes. So we appreciate those of you that came here. This concludes our announcement. Thank you for your time patience and courtesy.
<end>

Thank you very much for posting this it is greatly appreciated.

<news announcer>

-- Other officer ..

<plays audio>
<end>
Thank you!

The following issue keeps bothering me:

Apparently the "new" sketch was indeed drawn already in 2017 :

"The sketch released on Monday was drawn by Bryant on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported".

Looking at the video from bridge guy it seems very much that he has some form of beard/mustache/goatie, that contradicts the new sketch though. Remember it was drawn according to a witness directly in 2017 after the murders that means the witness described the (supposed) killer as he looked (in the view of the witness) on the day of the killing.

This leaves only a limited amount of conclusions:

1. The bridge guy is not the killer - obviously the police seems to think otherwise, see the video
2. The killer is the bridge guy and at some point put on a fake beard
3. The beard in the video is an optical illusion
4. The new sketch does not show the killer and the police knows this, that would imply they are causing a strategic distraction from the real culprit
5. The new sketch does not show the killer and the police is unaware of this
6. The witness didn't recognize or forgot the beard

Number 1,2,5+6 seem less probable to me.

Besides the beard issue - I keep getting irritated by the differences in the faces of old and new sketch. A lot of people see similarities. I do not.
1. The eyes - new sketch: narrow eyes, old one: wide eyes, even hanging a bit to the side (s)
2. The chin - new sketch: big chin, old one: short, small chin
3. Face shape - new sketch: oval face, old one: square face

The old sketch resembles indeed much more the bridge guy as we see it in the video, especially regarding the face shape, the rest can be misleading in such a bad quality video indeed.

Anyways, those are less reliable factors due to the vagueness of those sketches in general.

What keeps bothering me is the beard issue, see above.
The following issue keeps bothering me:

Apparently the "new" sketch was indeed drawn already in 2017 :

"The sketch released on Monday was drawn by Bryant on Feb. 17, 2017, a few days after the victims' bodies were found. The picture was based on the description of a person who saw something that the person felt needed to be reported".

Looking at the video from bridge guy it seems very much that he has some form of beard/mustache/goatie, that contradicts the new sketch though. Remember it was drawn according to a witness directly in 2017 after the murders that means the witness described the (supposed) killer as he looked (in the view of the witness) on the day of the killing.

This leaves only a limited amount of conclusions:

1. The bridge guy is not the killer - obviously the police seems to think otherwise, see the video
2. The killer is the bridge guy and at some point put on a fake beard
3. The beard in the video is an optical illusion
4. The new sketch does not show the killer and the police knows this, that would imply they are causing a strategic distraction from the real culprit
5. The new sketch does not show the killer and the police is unaware of this
6. The witness didn't recognize or forgot the beard

Number 1,2,5+6 seem less probable to me.

Besides the beard issue - I keep getting irritated by the differences in the faces of old and new sketch. A lot of people see similarities. I do not.
1. The eyes - new sketch: narrow eyes, old one: wide eyes, even hanging a bit to the side (s)
2. The chin - new sketch: big chin, old one: short, small chin
3. Face shape - new sketch: oval face, old one: square face

The old sketch resembles indeed much more the bridge guy as we see it in the video, especially regarding the face shape, the rest can be misleading in such a bad quality video indeed.

Anyways, those are less reliable factors due to the vagueness of those sketches in general.

What keeps bothering me is the beard issue, see above.

i think the new sketch is what he looked like weeks or months leading up to the horrific incident (before the scraggly goatee or beard + any weight gain or loss or, even possibly, when he was younger), OR directly after (he shaved/grew a fuller beard/ changed his hair/ lost or gained weight) to try and trigger local people (or one person, perhaps) that KNOW this person and will recognise him immediately. MOO.

Last edited:
The guy in the video is clearly shocked and intrigued as he turns his head and spits. The person in the video has a predatory feel to him. Opportunity is essential for a predator that's why most serial killer victims are vulnerable people like hikers, dates, prostitutes etc. The guy in the video to me was firing on all portions of his brain when he turned his head.

Or maybe he knew he was being recorded...but had to get the job done anyways...

I’m not sure if this has ever been discussed but could it be one of the girls’ teachers? That could make a lot of things make sense.
I'm thinking someone who works at the school or a fellow student. The new picture looks like he could be a middle school or high school student.

Honestly, the first sketch looks like the person in the second sketch is looking down at a camera phone.

58441674_1000722563464512_93455907085615104_n.jpg

Something looks 'off' to me with the second sketch. I'm 50/50 whether it looks similar or dissimilar, but what stands out for me is how assymetrical the second face is. The guy's left eyebrow peaks higher and his right eyelid looks more hooded (or lazy) than his left. His right nostril looks longer than his left. Right side of his cheek/face looks fuller than the other side. Left side of the jaw is more angular. Maybe you are right that the sketch is being taken off a phone or surveillence camera and shows the suspect from an odd angle. It almost looks to me like he is smirking.

I'm thinking someone who works at the school or a fellow student. The new picture looks like he could be a middle school or high school student.
The person in the video clearly has fused pelvis by the way he walks, the person in the video is atleast in their 30's. Adult males walk stiffer.

The "new" sketch was drawn in 2017. Is it possible that, at that time, they had several sketches from different witnesses who were in the area at or around the time of the murders? They would most likely work from that pool of suspects first. Meaning, there might have been several possible suspects that were seen in the area within the time frame that needed to be investigated and cleared (or conversely, not cleared!). So, in the beginning, they had the "new" sketch but recognized the person and concluded that this individual is highly unlikely to be considered due to his prominence, or position etc., and was ruled out early on. Maybe the "new direction" would be a surprise to someone who thought they were in the clear. Sorry if this doesn't make sense..

The power that he has to keep us all wondering who he is, discussing this case, and keeping the murders in the limelight per se.
Rape is about power and control.
The officer made reference to how they were left in the woods.
As much as I hate to think that this could be yet something else these girls endured, I believe this is likely what he was alluding to.

JMO

I am disturbed by a lot of things about this case and the new information we have. One thing I feel very sure about is that whoever this person is has absolutely fluctuated in their facial hair patterns and preferences. I don't know if I think body type has changed so much, but beards or the sudden lack of one can DRASTICALLY alter someone's appearance.

I remember when this case happened but I don't think that I followed it as closely as some of you I just know bits and pieces of it. Anyways I just watched the presser from the other day. Am I the only one that thinks the girls did NOT know BG? I feel like if it was someone they knew that Libby wouldn't have felt like she needed to take her cell phone out and start recording the person. Like I get this vibe she did it because he was a stranger. I know for me personally if someone I knew close was following me I wouldn't take my cell phone out to record them. Although on second thought it could be she knew who the person was but wasn't close to them so that's why she took it out. Cause I would if it was me if someone I knew that made me uncomfortable I may pull the phone out then. IDK what do u guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member