Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years into this horror, I have to wonder if he’s not been found because of the image — and now video. Naturally we would assume that of course it is easy to identify the perpetrator since we have this grainy image illustrating generalities. But stop to think how often we misjudge a person based on clothing or their general presentation of themselves. And of course I am thinking of those pleasant surprises in life, when a bit downtrodden looking soul is found to be well traveled, well read, or just an interesting, insightful soul we are glad we encountered.

By seeing these images, we immediately assign attributes that may be entirely off base. Our perceptions are skewed, and imagination limited. These are my coffee thoughts this morning, and thank you for all of yours.
Very good point.

Perhaps BG is actually a fine dresser; or wears sporty cloths, a uniform or other specific attire; or is not known to for outdoor activities....so is unrecognizable in the baggy clothes he is wearing in the video. I once ran into our mail carrier when he was off duty, and he recognized me but I didn't recognize him at all out of uniform and context!

jmo

Very good point.

Perhaps BG is actually a fine dresser; or wears sporty cloths, a uniform or other specific attire; or is not known to for outdoor activities....so is unrecognizable in the baggy clothes he is wearing in the video. I once ran into our mail carrier when he was off duty, and he recognized me but I didn't recognize him at all out of uniform and context!

jmo

Happens to me all the time!!

bbm

I posted this a few threads back...WHAT kind of tip are they looking for?

Someone calls and says, yes, I saw a Mack truck parked there. Okay...so? That is not the “confirmation” LE is waiting for to make an arrest. They aren’t going to secure a conviction because Betty Churchlady saw a truck parked in a parking lot. Moo

Someone calls and says I know a guy who got a haircut and shaved the day after the murders. So? Moo

Someone calls and says Joe Blow was out sick on 2/13, or quit his job, or I tried to call him but his phone was off, or whatever. What do these things prove to LE? Absolutely nothing. Moo

Even if someone says Joe Blow has been obsessed with this case, and he’s become an alcoholic and he’s angry, talks about justice for the girls all the time, helped search for them, became friends with the families...so? None of that would mean diddly in court. Moo

So what are police asking the public for????

I think the fact the police said to be aware his gait is altered due to the bridge is also a way of them saying he does not have a limp or injury IRL. Although then they did say look at mannerisms and there really are none.....so maybe they just don't know if that is how he walks normally or if it was the just the bridge and want all possibilities considered.

I wish we had a picture of the exact
ties he was stepping on while being videoed.
It might explain the why he steps the way he does.

100% agree he is a father. Probably of at least one little girl.
I think so too, idk about having a girl; but he knows how to talk to children by the tone of his voice, whether it be from his predatory nature, predatory experience or his experience with children I think is up for debate. I think when he saw the girls, he started to get an adrenaline rush he was possibly reminded of a female that he feels is responsible for his anger.

It's really not fair to make fun of the people (and I am one of them) that hear words that have been distorted after "guys". I have enough experience with audio to know that what you hear there has been distorted. It's not simply a phone in a pocket rubbing on the inside of that pocket. If you have ever used a program like Audacity and played around a bit with the filters, you know what distorted voices or sounds sound like. And several people heard the same thing without talking to each other about it. And yes, you definitely need headphones.

The thing is, I said it could be pareidolia, but I am not the only one who hears it. And no, it's not the same as seeing monkeys dangling from trees and puppies in his pants that make him walk funny. Whatever that sound is has nothing to do with armchair sleuths trying to solve the case by seeing things that are not there. It is just about the shock of hearing something like that and trying to share this feeling with others. And yes, it is all just my opinion and of course not a fact.

I usually don't have problems with listening to all kinds of recordings like 911 calls, etc. But I will never be able to listen to this recording again. I don't know if it is pareidolia or not but I can't unhear it and it is very disturbing to me. It's just a horrible case that has been unsolved for too long.

My thoughts regarding this have been "this is not helping solve this case and can even be seen as voyeuristic and disrespectful to the victims" (by trying to hear them). However, IF they are on it talking AND it's not what folks here have heard but instead it's them saying a person's name.....it could be helpful to keep trying to listen to what's "between the lines" so to speak.

I posted this a few threads back...WHAT kind of tip are they looking for?

Someone calls and says, yes, I saw a Mack truck parked there. Okay...so? That is not the “confirmation” LE is waiting for to make an arrest. They aren’t going to secure a conviction because Betty Churchlady saw a truck parked in a parking lot. Moo

Someone calls and says I know a guy who got a haircut and shaved the day after the murders. So? Moo

Someone calls and says Joe Blow was out sick on 2/13, or quit his job, or I tried to call him but his phone was off, or whatever. What do these things prove to LE? Absolutely nothing. Moo

Even if someone says Joe Blow has been obsessed with this case, and he’s become an alcoholic and he’s angry, talks about justice for the girls all the time, helped search for them, became friends with the families...so? None of that would mean diddly in court. Moo

So what are police asking the public for????

I think they are waiting for whoever gave this guy an alibi erroneously finally fesses up and turns him in.

"We're seeking the public's help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi that was abandoned on the east side of County Road 300 North next to the Hoosier Heartland highway between the hours of noon to 5:00 on February 14th 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi city building."

IMO-They have the vehicle, but it may have been used by multiple people and riddled with DNA. LE may not have retrieved usable DNA from the crime scene. They are sure they know who BG is and are watching him very closely. This news conference was held to force BG to make additional mistakes and to get additional corroborating information to seal BG's fate. A witness who saw the "new" BG walking near the 300 N and the Hoosier Hwy. Or...A witness who knows the "new" BG and is willing to testify against him.

Should be easy to identify the perp wandering around if he has a lazy eye, prominent chin, amputed leg and voice box ;)

I agree with the sentiment that the noises heard between 'guys' and 'down the hill' are most probably artefacts from trying to clean up/enhance the audio, plus any ambient noise.

Hearing certain words in noise is a common auditory illusion, and can be considered a form of pareidolia; it's the same reason that people think they can hear hidden meanings in songs played backwards.
Others being able to hear the same words - after you've told them what words you can hear - is due to the effect of auditory priming. I really recommend watching below for a striking example of the same phenomenon:
It's also why audio such as 911 calls are sometimes sent to independent organisations to transcribe and compare, as priming can drastically change what exactly you will hear. The brain is a funny old thing.
Not to put anyones theories down but I gotta agree. You gotta follow the logic and go strictly by the evidence. I encourage everyone to watch the video for at least 30 mins in one sitting. This guy to me is an average guy, he isn't any different from any other seemingly middle aged man imo. He has no distinguishable features other than a "weak chin" but that could even be an effect of him looking down and being tense. Touch your chin to your chest and you can see how that can distort someones facial features.

The two sketches are the same guy.

There is no other voice on the audio.

There are no "mannerisms" of BG in the video to observe except for his gait.

BG enjoyed the press conference and watching the ISP Officer sweat.

Details are withheld so there is no wasted time chasing down false confessions and erroneous tips.

LOL!!!

rsbm, bbm

Should be easy to identify the perp wandering around if he has a lazy eye, prominent chin, amputed leg and voice box ;)

I agree with the sentiment that the noises heard between 'guys' and 'down the hill' are most probably artefacts from trying to clean up/enhance the audio, plus any ambient noise.

Hearing certain words in noise is a common auditory illusion, and can be considered a form of pareidolia; it's the same reason that people think they can hear hidden meanings in songs played backwards.
Others being able to hear the same words - after you've told them what words you can hear - is due to the effect of auditory priming. I really recommend watching below for a striking example of the same phenomenon:
It's also why audio such as 911 calls are sometimes sent to independent organisations to transcribe and compare, as priming can drastically change what exactly you will hear. The brain is a funny old thing.

Please don't tell me that someone has actually said that he may have had a voice box in a previous post.You were just being cheeky right?

Hi everyone, I am new here and have gotten a lot from all the posts. I used to live in West Lafayette so I have followed this case since the start.
My thoughts FWIW:
A person can have a different way of walking and still be young. Both of my stepkids had to have hip surgery in high school for congenital defects. They are fully able to jog, walk on any terrain, etc. but their gaits are a little off - almost like bowlegged or deliberate kind of walking. I don't think BG has a disability because he would have problems walking on the bridge and down the hill and not attempted this attack, but he could have the same sort of situation my stepkids did. There are a lot of people of German decent in this area and they have a broader build (wider hips and shoulders).

Maybe these aren't his clothes, he dresses completely differently on a daily basis. It seems from other cases of serial killers/rapists that part of the obsession is thinking about the act and preparing for it. I think he might have gone to a thrift store or really any store and bought these clothes just for this purpose. I think he lived out this scenario in his mind many, many times before he did it and got a thrill from preparing for it.

Delphi is not far from West Lafayette/Lafayette and Indianapolis. If this person is from "the area" they probably went to walk on this bridge as a teenager and know if school is out and the weather is good teenagers will be hanging out there. I think he either went to the area before looking for this opportunity or he catfished Libby (since she was the one with the phone) so he knew at least she would be there but maybe not Abby. Kids in this area commonly go to areas like the bridge, a quarry that has been flooded into a lake and park areas to hang out together. There really isn't a lot going on if you are a teenager.

His voice and accent sounds very much like someone from this area. When I moved into the area I was surprised by how many people have a sort of southern inflection in the way they speak. People refer to everyone, even animals, as "guys". No kidding. Geese flying overhead - hey look at those guys! It is just how people talk there.

JMO but thanks for considering them!

I think there is no way anybody drunk or high or disabled or an amputee gets up on that bridge. He walks weird because it’s an old rickety bridge and he’s watching his steps.
I still maintain the witness from February 17th was there to report something odd he had seen by someone helping with the aftermath of the killings(helping cops, crowd control, comforting people, funerals, behind the scene stuff, etc) and ended up being reassured and dismissed by some local cop that the person they were reporting on was some respected person, known by everyone in town, and was being a great help to everyone...so don’t worry about it. And the whole report found the bottom of someone’s drawer until some real evidence popped up recently pointing to that respected guy. Would explain the comments at the PC about “you not thinking we would change directions...etc.
Just my thoughts but it’s the only scenario I can come up with that makes sense.
I do think this is a huge break and think their close. Crossing fingers.

Hi everyone, I am new here and have gotten a lot from all the posts. I used to live in West Lafayette so I have followed this case since the start.
My thoughts FWIW:
A person can have a different way of walking and still be young. Both of my stepkids had to have hip surgery in high school for congenital defects. They are fully able to jog, walk on any terrain, etc. but their gaits are a little off - almost like bowlegged or deliberate kind of walking. I don't think BG has a disability because he would have problems walking on the bridge and down the hill and not attempted this attack, but he could have the same sort of situation my stepkids did. There are a lot of people of German decent in this area and they have a broader build (wider hips and shoulders).

Maybe these aren't his clothes, he dresses completely differently on a daily basis. It seems from other cases of serial killers/rapists that part of the obsession is thinking about the act and preparing for it. I think he might have gone to a thrift store or really any store and bought these clothes just for this purpose. I think he lived out this scenario in his mind many, many times before he did it and got a thrill from preparing for it.

Delphi is not far from West Lafayette/Lafayette and Indianapolis. If this person is from "the area" they probably went to walk on this bridge as a teenager and know if school is out and the weather is good teenagers will be hanging out there. I think he either went to the area before looking for this opportunity or he catfished Libby (since she was the one with the phone) so he knew at least she would be there but maybe not Abby. Kids in this area commonly go to areas like the bridge, a quarry that has been flooded into a lake and park areas to hang out together. There really isn't a lot going on if you are a teenager.

His voice and accent sounds very much like someone from this area. When I moved into the area I was surprised by how many people have a sort of southern inflection in the way they speak. People refer to everyone, even animals, as "guys". No kidding. Geese flying overhead - hey look at those guys! It is just how people talk there.

JMO but thanks for considering them!

Welcome! I love when new people join because we always get a new perspective. What you said about the thrift store clothing is not something I've heard and is a really great theory. And also what you said about how he'd know that kids hang out there when school is out.

Good question.
I don’t think after two years that LE has decided to reach out and ask about a parked car for the first time, especially with no description. Nor do I think they expect BG to call them and admit he’s the driver.
Therefore, I can only imagine three possibilities:
1. They are trying to CONFIRM another witness account of BG seen with this vehicle
2. They are trying to jog someone else’s recall of the absence of the car during that day/time and make the connection with the new sketch/word “guys”/gait.
3. There is a possibility that there is a second person somehow connected to the car and they want to know if they are an unwitting or involved participant.
Can anyone think of other possibilities?
4. They are searching for a connection between the CPS offices, which had been in the abandoned house - the parking lot (12pm - 5pm, former office hours?) - the driver.

Hi All,

I’m from Australia, it just so happens I’m in Law enforcement and have experience with the Policing side of Homicides.

I can across this case from a podcast a few weeks ago, since then I’ve followed along to see how it progresses.

I’ve read a lot of responses from contributors on this thread. Fortunately I can clear a few things up, but unfortunately most of the cyber detectives are over analysing. :)

Remember this, ‘finding’ out who did this crime is half the process. The main process is ensuring a criminal conviction for police.

Therefore, the general public and even the victims families ARE NOT entitled or should be presented with evidence or possible suspects under any circumstances.

All evidence released, including sketches, audio, video, and in this case car siting, is to be done with a specific outcome in mind. e.g produce leads, further evidence, new suspects etc.

I saw people post, “why not release all the audio?”

Well... why, it obviously won’t help produce new leads. And/or the remaining audio evidence could taint jury if released. I understand you want to here and see the evidence, but bluntly, you have no right and all general public are to be treated as possible suspects/witnesses. Remember you aren’t trained investigators.

Finally, I watched the press conference and found it fascinating.

The press conference was directly aimed at speaking to the killer. My guess would be they have a short list of suspects or may even know 98% who it is.

Everything said in that press con was scripted by a FBI Profiler. It is designed to agitate and provoke the killer in to acting differently or saying something to someone that makes them stand out.

I’d also guess they may even have suspects under physical surveillance or recording devices.

Remember again, ITS ALL ABOUT THE CONVICTION. So they may only need some final concrete pieces of evidence.

That would fit in perfectly with the fact it was only 7 weeks ago they had the anniversary press con.

It’s sounds to me like things are very close.

- new audio, need another witness to come forward after recognise.
- new video, same reason as above.
- press con, push killer to say something on phone or start acting erratic, people notice.
- car siting, May need another witness to place killer in car earlier or leaving car. DNA.

My guess is that it was a random event, killer was probably driving past and saw them. Car won’t be registered so that is the reason it can’t be traced back to him and he dumped it. Killers act on impulse, very rare they plan.

Hopefully that helps! Be confident in the police, they are the experts. Let them do their jobs. Time to celebrate will be after the court hearings.

Thanks from Aus!

I think this is such a great post I’m just bumping it forward in case anyone missed it. One of the greatest things about WS is how we can all learn from others through the sharing of their knowledge. Thank you Matt Johnson!

Haha, nobody said that. It was just a reference to the audio recording of "down the hill." ;)
If you listen to my audio enhancements. I think it clearly show his voice is not changed, his voice goes from low to higher pitched but it's natural, it's how my voice sounds, every beginning of the word starts deep and ends higher. Mine is just from being relaxed but some people do it out of nervousness like how cops sound when they give orders. The first part of the word is kind of authoritative and the last part is just carrying your voice as high as you can so people can hear you. I think as he speaks, his tenseness shows, but as he carries on the word he starts to relax as he exhaling and carbon dioxide is causing him to come down of that adrenaline rush as it enters his blood via the membranes in his airway.

I think there is no way anybody drunk or high or disabled or an amputee gets up on that bridge. He walks weird because it’s an old rickety bridge and he’s watching his steps.
I still maintain the witness from February 17th was there to report something odd he had seen by someone helping with the aftermath of the killings(helping cops, crowd control, comforting people, funerals, behind the scene stuff, etc) and ended up being reassured and dismissed by some local cop that the person they were reporting on was some respected person, known by everyone in town, and was being a great help to everyone...so don’t worry about it. And the whole report found the bottom of someone’s drawer until some real evidence popped up recently pointing to that respected guy. Would explain the comments at the PC about “you not thinking we would change directions...etc.
Just my thoughts but it’s the only scenario I can come up with that makes sense.
I do think this is a huge break and think their close. Crossing fingers.

Ita I don’t understand the amputee theory.
He may have an unusual gait, from birth.
If he had a weapon concealed in his pants or under his jacket, it could change his stride, imo.

Any local here that walk the bridge?
I have not for years, it was frightening then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288