Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joann Cunningham
  • 5 counts of first degree murder
  • 4 counts aggravated battery
  • 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery
  • 1 count of failure to report a missing or child death
Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr.
  • 2 counts aggravated battery
  • 1 counts of aggravated domestic battery
  • 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death
Live Updates: Parents charged in death of missing Illinois boy - CNN
:mad: Let Justice Be Served

Official press release:

City News and Updates | Crystal Lake, IL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 24, 2019
100 West Woodstock Street
Crystal Lake, Illinois, 60014
(815) 356-3730

It is with a heavy heart that the Crystal Lake Police Department reports they have located what they believe to be the body of Andrew “AJ” Freund early this morning. During the overnight hours, Investigators with the Crystal Lake Police Department and the FBI interviewed both Joann Cunningham and Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. after information was obtained through a forensic analysis of cell phone data.

Once presented with evidence obtained by investigators, both Joann and Andrew Sr. provided information that ultimately led to the recovery of the deceased subject. Investigators located what they believe to be AJ’s body buried in a shallow grave in a remote area in Woodstock, IL. The McHenry County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene to assist with the recovery and identification of the body.

The cause of death is unknown at this time and will be determined by the McHenry County Coroner’s Office.
Based on current information and evidence, both JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund are being charged with the death and disappearance of AJ.

Joann Cunningham has been charged with:

• (5) Counts of First Degree Murder
  • (4) Counts Aggravated Battery
  • (2) Counts of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report a Missing or Child Death
Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr. has been charged with:

• (5) Counts of First Degree Murder
  • (2) Counts of Aggravated Battery
  • (1) Count of Aggravated Domestic Battery
  • (2) Counts of Concealment of Homicidal Death
  • (1) Count of Failure to Report Missing or Child Death
Both Joann and Drew are currently in police custody and will eventually be transported to McHenry County Jail where they will await a bond hearing.

On behalf of the Crystal Lake Police Department, we would like to thank the FBI, the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office and the other local, state, and county law enforcement and fire department and emergency management entities. Their assistance was instrumental in bringing closure to this investigation.

To AJ’s family, it is our hope that you may have some solace in knowing that AJ is no longer suffering and his killers have been brought to justice. We would also like to thank the community for their support and assistance during this difficult time. To AJ, we know you are at peace playing in heaven’s playground and are happy you no longer have to suffer.

The outcome of this case is a result of the extraordinary efforts of all of the Investigators directly involved in the case. Because the charges resulting from this investigation are based largely on evidence recovered, we will not be providing any further details in an effort to protect the integrity of the criminal prosecution.

###
I hope the judge in charge has the backbone to deny bond to these two fill in the blanks.
MOO

Yes, he was born with opiates in his system and was in foster care for almost 2 years.

I bet that the foster parents are heartbroken. Our nieghbors foster these little crack and meth babies. It is a family with 4 teen girls, and they play with those babies like they are little dolls, and dress them up each week to see their parents.

I bet that the foster parents are heartbroken. Our nieghbors foster these little crack and meth babies. It is a family with 4 teen girls, and they play with those babies like they are little dolls, and dress them up each week to see their parents.
And probably feed them, give them a bath, make sure they’re warm and safe, not do drugs or beat them. Just a hunch.

Joann Cunningham
  • 4 counts aggravated battery
  • 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery
Andrew “Drew” Freund Sr.
  • 2 counts aggravated battery
  • 1 counts of aggravated domestic battery
  • 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death
Live Updates: Parents charged in death of missing Illinois boy - CNN
I was out running errands during the press conference so thank you everyone for posting links!!

No surprise here but it's still a shock to confirm what we all suspected. IMO LE did a fantastic job investigating and making sure all their ducks were in a row.

Now to catch up on the particulars... thanks again everyone!
group-hug2-smiley.gif

I hope, if they are both opioid addicts, they both have a long and painful withdrawal in jail. The more painful, the better IMHO.

ETA: omg, I keep forgetting that she’s 7 months pregnant. That poor baby. And poor little brother. I hope there is some sober loving family who will take him. I’d hate to think of him going to strangers in foster care and having to bear that vicious cycle (no offense to good foster parents out there).
Maybe Grandma that already has the oldest son? That would be wonderful. She really cares about the kids. She filed against her own daughter.

since AJ was in DCFS custody for two years mom probably never felt the attachment like for the other two boys.

Good point! She would have had supervised visits with him but that is not the same bonding that she had with the other two boys.

A.J. was taken from a home where his needs were being met to a place where they were met only sporadically. He might have had some attachment issues or behaviors because of this.

Yes, he was born with opiates in his system and was in foster care for almost 2 years.
But she passed some bogus parenting classes,and maybe a UA or two. So she got treated as if she should get a nobel,and maybe fast tracked to Beatification, plus a mother of the year award. So Andrew was put back in her clutches.
MOO.

I just looked at her SM..and her videos of little AJ..seriously I'm in tears..how could they do this to a gorgeous little child..I hope they both suffer for the rest of their lives behind bars....
Have peace now little AJ you won't be hurting any more by the people who brought you into this world for such a short time

I was out running errands during the press conference so thank you everyone for posting links!!

No surprise here but it's still a shock to confirm what we all suspected. IMO LE did a fantastic job investigating and making sure all their ducks were in a row.

Now to catch up on the particulars... thanks again everyone!
group-hug2-smiley.gif
Agreed!! Salute to LE! This was extraordinary!!

Red flag for me when all he said is AJ please come home your not in trouble. Ok sure you mean AKA as he was always in trouble and they did something to him. Kinda of like Freudian slip.
Yeah, talk about "leakage." Who says that about a five year old? Acting like he was a teenager who left the house in a snit after an argument. SMDH. ITA that poor little AJ was often in "trouble" with these selfish, clueless parents.

I have the same question as Greyhound - Why are they both charged with 5 counts of first degree murder when only one person was killed? I’m also assuming since it is 1st degree murder they believe they can show the parents had premeditated this crime?

Sorry for the questions. I’m just ignorant on this aspect of the law.

I’ll try to find you an actual source to explain it (all I can find is forum responses) but basically the charging document is what the prosecution believes has been committed. It can include multiple theories. So right now they can charge them with premeditated murder (1 count) based on a theory that they planned this. They can also charge them with first degree murder if the theory is that they beat him badly knowing it may cause his death (1 count) etc. without an autopsy they may not know which is the actual theory so they are covering bases. THESE ARE NOT THE ACTUAL COUNTS as I do not know what they are. This is just an example.

Illinois First Degree Murder Laws - FindLaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member