Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone else help me understand how they charge the parents with 5 counts of murder? Not asking out of sympathy for the parents....but I assume 1 heinous act of murder equates to 1 count of murder. What am I missing?

Wondering how far they will have to go to find a non-biased jury.....
Depending on how active the father was in the community as an attorney it may even be a bit tougher than just the media attention.
ETA
Any judge the father went before when representing a client should recuse him/herself. As well as some attorneys.

Sadly, JMO but this baby will most likely be born with plenty of drugs in her system.

Her mother will
I wonder how long you have before they can’t get a toxicology report from the body? Maybe they waited till toxicology tests would be impossible on AJ. And then called.

Tox tests, at least certain kinds of them, can be done for quite a long time, depending on the condition of the remains.

I doubt these two were sophisticated enough to understand forensic toxicology to the point that they could calculate the tox levels that would be below detectable thresholds.

My issue with DCFS, is that we have seen over and over again children who were "in" the system. The kids were placed and living in high risk homes, with numerous reports of abuse or neglect or signs, such as "homeschooling", and it seems like nothing happens until the children are dead or suffered years of abuse.

1. Nubia Barahona, adoptive parents still in jail, no court date yet. Florida.
2. "Little Princess" in California, found dead, after being in custody of her Mother who had been in prison for child abuse.

We could go on and on...

And what really bothers me, I understand stand that people are entitled to a defense, but what about these folks telling the truth? They killed their little boy. What are the ethics of a defense attorney who tells a client, "Don't say anything, don't cooperate". Really? It is wrong. Criminals have all of these "rights". What rights did little A.J. have?
Exactly. These parents had not one day not two days not three but nearly an entire week to do the right thing and confess. And that attorney...

Ugh I have more to say but I’m on a very bumpy bus so I’ll save it till later.

Her mother will

Tox tests, at least certain kinds of them, can be done for quite a long time, depending on the condition of the remains.

I doubt these two were sophisticated enough to understand forensic toxicology to the point that they could calculate the tox levels that would be below detectable thresholds.
I would agree but also had this thought....the father may have "thought" he knew something about it if was involved defending people on a probation violation due to positive drug tests.

True that, but you pretty much try to google anything.

Can someone else help me understand how they charge the parents with 5 counts of murder? Not asking out of sympathy for the parents....but I assume 1 heinous act of murder equates to 1 count of murder. What am I missing?

The officials don’t know yet exactly how he died, so I think they’ve charged the parents with everything that MIGHT have happened, and they’ll narrow it down once they figure out what did happen.

In other words: one count of felony child abuse that led to his death from a fractured skull, (I’m just making this up,) one count of aggravated neglect that led to his starving to death, etc.

Based on the dogs being in the home and the police going in with a warrant and taking out a good deal of evidence multiple times, does it seem unlikely to anyone else that AJ died by assault? With assault to the point of death I think blood, yet why did the dogs nor anyone else find evidence or indications of blood over the course of the past 6 days?
Maybe the fatal injuries were internal.
I just hate these two so much.

Dad doesn’t even look bothered. I can’t believe mom is pregnant - this makes is all so much worse. Using drugs and killing your son while pregnant with another child? Heck I’m pregnant and I feel guilty for taking my anxiety medication. That I need because my mom was a drug addict... Wtf is this world about.
This case is just another example of the total collapse of social systems in our society & it makes me sick. Killing your kids is not cool people.

I just saw the news item - with a picture of this sweet child. He is smiling in the picture despite the hell that must have been his life. Thank God his brother is safe and away from these monsters. And may they rot in jail.

I started a timeline - it’s not complete, but here’s what I have so far.

Timeline
Missing Since - Apr 17, 2019
Missing From - Crystal Lake, IL
DOB - Oct 14, 2013
Age Now - 5
Sex - Male
Race - White
Hair Color - Blonde
Eye Color - Brown
Height - 3'5"
Weight - 65 lbs

2013-2018
  • Crystal Lake police said officers have been called to the home 17 times since the child was born five years ago. The Crystal Lake Police Department released reports detailing what they call "unacceptable" living conditions along with alleged drug abuse and concerns the Department of Children and Family Services had for the children's welfare. DCFS last had contact with the family in December of last year.
  • JC involved in a legal dispute with her mother, involving JC’s eldest son. JC’s mother filed an order of protection petition accusing JC and AF of forcing JC’s eldest son to live in “constant fear, hunger and filth,” as well as denying him medical care, food, clean clothing and a healthy living environment.
October 2013
  • DCFS investigated an allegation of neglect by the mother and found there was credible evidence to substantiate the allegation. AJ was born with opiates in his body.
November 2013
  • DCFS took AJ into protective custody. He was placed in a foster home.
June 2015
  • AJ was returned home from foster care.
April 2016
  • DCFS closed AJ’s Protective Custody Case
March 2018
  • DCFS investigated allegations of neglect by JC and AF, but concluded they were unfounded. The mother agreed to re-enter treatment.
December 18, 2018 - Tuesday
  • DCFS investigated another allegation of abuse and neglect by JC. AJ was temporarily removed by police, but he was returned to the home after the allegations were ruled unfounded. There was no evidence to support allegations of deplorable conditions in the home, and bruising on AJ was attributed to the dog.
December 19, 2018 - Wednesday
  • Woodstock police arrested DN, after he allegedly kicked and hit two nurses and a security guard at Northwestern Medical Hospital. DN 36 yr old, is also reported to have lived at the home some time within the past year.
April 17, 2019 - Wednesday
  • Last seen in bed at 9:30 pm
April 18, 2019 - Thursday
  • AF went to doctor appointment and returned home @ 8:30am
  • AJ reported missing by 911 call made by AF
  • JC’s attorney said JC had been questioned by police on Thursday.
  • JC was arrested at the LCPD on an arrest warrant for failure to appear on driving with a suspended DL. JC was released after paying the required $300 bond.
April 19, 2019 - Friday
  • Late Friday afternoon, a team of police in about seven vehicles pulled up to the house and went inside with a search warrant.
  • Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said it has had contact with the family of the boy, AJ since he was born in 2013 with opiates in his system. DCFS continued having contact off and on until late 2018.
  • A younger son was placed into DCFS custody.
  • Police said, “In reviewing all investigative information thus far, there is no indication that would lead police to believe that an abduction had taken place.” They also said: “Information obtained currently has police focusing on the residence.”
  • Canine teams that were used during the investigation “only picked up AJ’s scent within the residence indicating that Andrew had not walked away on foot,”
April 23, 2019 - Tuesday
  • JC - Court 8:30am driving with a suspended DL
  • Shelter Hearing for AJ’s younger brother
April 24, 2019 - Wednesday
  • Overnight police and FBI interviewed both JC and AF after information was obtained through a forensic analysis of cell phone data. Once presented with the information, the parents provided information about the location of the boy's body.
  • AJ’s body was found 7 miles from home - buried in shallow grave and wrapped in plastic.
  • Police were seen removing items from boy's home in Crystal Lake, including a small mattress, shovel caked with dirt, plastic storage totes and bags.
  • Family dog “Lucy” was removed from home by Animal Control.
  • JC - Charged
    • 5 counts of first degree murder
    • 4 counts aggravated battery
    • 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery
    • 1 count of failure to report a missing or child death
  • AF Sr. - Charged
    • 5 counts of first degree murder
    • 2 counts aggravated battery
    • 1 counts of aggravated domestic battery
    • 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death
    • 1 count of failure to report a missing or child death
McHenry Co Sheriff Dept inmate search
McHenry County Sheriff

@Tippy Lynn, You are so good to us!!!! I appreciate all you do for WS!!!! A big thanks for the time line, gets it all perspective.

Based on the dogs being in the home and the police going in with a warrant and taking out a good deal of evidence multiple times, does it seem unlikely to anyone else that AJ died by assault? With assault to the point of death I think blood, yet why did the dogs nor anyone else find evidence or indications of blood over the course of the past 6 days?

I do wonder with the mattress being taken out of the home if there was vomit, blood, or other bodily substances on the mattress. The younger sibling is old enough to be able to tell a story if there was systematic abuse targeted at AJ (and himself).

There could be any number of ways that he died that would not have included blood loss:
1. asphyxiation through strangulation, under heavy object, vomit, etc,
2. illness/medical neglect including bacterial infection, viral infection, non-intervention of an injury, head or thoracic non-attended injury, starvation,
3. poison ingestion of drugs in home, poisons in home, allergic substances,
4. repeated physical abuse.

At least, he is found and will have a proper burial. My heart goes out to his siblings and relatives who must now live with this tragedy.

Riiiiiight Marc because we can trust that DCSF can be trusted to investigate itself,and report truthfully.
SMH.

This may be cross posting, but I have followed the Nubia Barahona murder case for years, the State of Florida had to pay out millions to her brother for his abuse, DCFS never followed up on a credible claim.

The case still has not gone to trial, since 2011! I believe that the State of Florida and DCFS just wants the whole thing to disappear.

I have the same question as Greyhound - Why are they both charged with 5 counts of first degree murder when only one person was killed? I’m also assuming since it is 1st degree murder they believe they can show the parents had premeditated this crime?

Sorry for the questions. I’m just ignorant on this aspect of the law.

Several laws can be broken during the commission of a single murder. For instance, death during child abuse. Death during neglect, death during a sex assault, causing the death of a child under 14, etc. A count of murder can be filed for each one. These are just examples and may not apply to this case.

Depending on how active the father was in the community as an attorney it may even be a bit tougher than just the media attention.
ETA
Any judge the father went before when representing a client should recuse him/herself. As well as some attorneys.

You are so right, about judges having to recuse themselves!!! They've been frequent flyers in J and D court so long, I'm sure they can find a judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member