Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’
Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’ | The Star

**Anyone having trouble accessing the article? **

Quote from the article above:

While the majority of the case information remains sealed from public eye pending Justice Pringle’s ruling, the Star has been able to learn some new details of the extent of the probe through its application to unseal the material. The material at issue is what amounts to an extensive chronology of the investigation to date, all contained in what are called ITOs — “information to obtain” search warrants and production orders. Think of it as a road map through the police investigation. ITOs contain abbreviated statements from people the police interview, names of suspects (sometimes also called “persons of interest”), crime-scene photos and results of previous police requests for information.

Detective Yim’s responsibility on the Sherman case is to receive, analyze and process all of this. He told court his day begins at 7 a.m. and since the Sherman murders he has worked solely on this investigation.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get worked up over this news simply because it came out during a petition by the Star to have documents regarding the case released. For whatever reasons TPS does not want these documents released. Some have suggested police incompetence, others have theorized about a police coverup of an actual murder/suicide, or maybe there is actually an ongoing investigation. Any one of these things could be reason to protest the release of said documents and if it were one of the first two scenarios, what is said in court could be exaggerated or a complete fabrication. Lets hope they actually are on to something though.
Police in Canada strongly resist opening up documents about an unsolved crime to the media, in almost all cases that I've encountered.

They prefer to release information via a news release or press conference when they believe it will help the investigation or is in the public interest.

I guess the Star thinks it's worth their time and expense to petition the court, just to get some kind of crumb from TPS when they file their inevitable objection.

Crimes may take many years before there's an arrest. That could just mean LE don't yet have enough evidence to succesfully convict someone.

Wonder which country that might be?
Police have working theory in Sherman murders: report
“One speculation I have is that is indeed a suspect, somebody they want to ask questions, who would have material information – perhaps even the person involved and that person’s not speaking,” Donovan said on Thursday.

Donovan also said there are other individuals that police have been unable to locate and there’s a belief that they may have left the country.

Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’
Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’ | The Star
The detective also told an Ontario Court of Justice hearing that within a week, police are expecting a “high volume” of electronic records they have been trying to obtain since January, and that at least one person they want to interview has refused to speak to police. Others they want to speak to may have left the country or simply cannot be located, the investigator told court.

Cannot help but wonder if there is a connection between the" psychic tips" that started in early January and the latest ITO authorized at the end of January?
Speculating that sometimes genuine tips are disguised as " psychic" ones.

On another note, just how powerful might the killer/s be that they could potentially harm anyone giving a statement to LE?!
rbbm.speculation, imo.
"At one time, in the first few months of the Sherman probe, police said 50 officers were working on the case. Yim said he is now the only full-time officer. Other detectives assigned, who are also working on other cases, include the officer in charge, Det. Sgt. Brandon Price; the former officer in charge, Insp. Susan Gomes (she now runs the police force’s operations centre but is still involved in the Sherman probe), Det. Const. Kristy Devine, and an officer Yim did not identify in the “intelligence” unit of the force. The intelligence unit does analysis and also is often involved in “covert” operations, court heard.

Court heard Wednesday that only a handful of interviews have been done since last September. The focus has shifted to analyzing DNA collected at the scene, security-camera footage and the massive amount of records obtained from production orders.
“Witnesses who have given us statements, if their information was to be revealed prior to any arrest they wouldn’t be comfortable giving us a statement again,” he said. “If the perpetrators were to find out that these people had given a statement these witnesses would have concern for their safety because now the perpetrators know they have given a statement to police.”

"The Star asked if Detective Yim was aware that some of these tips came from psychics who had called into the private investigators’ tip line. Yim said he could not reveal any information about the contents of the tips, including whether they were of value, though court was told they came to the police in weekly batches beginning on January 4 of this year."

"The most recent ITO was authorized by Justice Pringle on January 29, 2019".
Source: Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’

Wonder which country that might be?
Police have working theory in Sherman murders: report
“One speculation I have is that is indeed a suspect, somebody they want to ask questions, who would have material information – perhaps even the person involved and that person’s not speaking,” Donovan said on Thursday.

Donovan also said there are other individuals that police have been unable to locate and there’s a belief that they may have left the country.

Hmmmm, well that is interesting indeed. I have to admit to being somewhat dismissive in my mind of any theories involving international hits, but now...I don't know. Also on the don't know, was that KW was a strong suspect for me, and he just keeps falling down the list. Unless he's clammed up, lawyered up, and left the country?

What complicates this case is that BS did have many enemies indeed, being a ruthless tycoon and all. The only thing that throws me is, why Honey? Why the elaborate and yet somewhat botched crime scene?

Former homicide detective discusses Sherman case
2 videos at link..
Police have working theory in Sherman murders: Donovan
image.jpg

4:55m
Donovan: Working theory in Sherman murders
image.jpg

4:27m
Now Playing

2 videos at link..
Police have working theory in Sherman murders: Donovan
image.jpg

4:55m
Donovan: Working theory in Sherman murders
image.jpg

4:27m
Now Playing

That’s quite a turn around to hear Donovan’s optimism....”something has changed in the last 6-8 months”.

In terms of receiving the high volume of electronic record, they may be looking for large sums of money that was moved to pay a hitman.

I think those involved would be very careful not to transfer money electronically, because 'follow the money' is a prime investigative technique. Sometimes it is easier and safer to transfer funds as cash.

Electronic records for international travel are something that could be of great interest to the TPS. Electronic records of passport usage and airline travel to and from Canada in and around December 2017 might be very pertinent to the investigation.

Travel info could be relevant because the officer in court stated one POI is overseas, and one or more POI's cannot be located.

In my opinion it seems that the TPS are making good progress in reaching a resolution in this case.

I wonder if Sam Mizrahi and/or the Khavaris are the ones that has refused to speak to police? I have posted about Mizrahi's link to Barry previously. As a refresher:
The Toronto developer, the Iranian fugitive and the bitter condo feud

My bet- the electronic records are cell phone records.

IMO after 17 months I fear TPS may have little to show in terms of progress, other than having a "working theory"- which many on WS also have!. LE is seemingly only now looking at certain videos and dna? Evidently they didn't even take/ask for some DNA samples and other evidence until fairly recently (realtor, etc). Tragic actually..... I hope not, but I fear that they may have messed this up big time...

I wonder if Sam Mizrahi and/or the Khavaris are the ones that has refused to speak to police? I have posted about Mizrahi's link to Barry previously. As a refresher:

IMO after 17 months I fear TPS may have little to show in terms of progress, other than having a "working theory"- which many on WS also have!. LE is seemingly only now looking at certain videos and dna? Evidently they didn't even take/ask for some DNA samples and other evidence until fairly recently (realtor, etc). Tragic actually..... I hope not, but I fear that they may have messed this up big time...

I am a more positive than some seem to be about the police investigation. The perpetrators were 'pros' in the sense they were very aware that a major police investigation was likely to follow, so they were very careful in leaving very little evidence behind. I really believe the slowness of the TPS investigation is the function of the expertise of the perpetrators rather than any deficiency by the TPS.

The Iranian connection you reference has always been significant to me.

Police have a relatively accessing cell phone records, and do so on a regular basis. I have a feeling that the records mentioned in the Star story, were likely more significant, and quite possibly under the jurisdiction of another level of Canadian government, which always slows things up.

Many crimes are solved because the criminals made mistakes and/or the police got lucky. So far the police have not had a lot of luck, and the criminals appear to have been very careful.

Hmmmm, well that is interesting indeed. I have to admit to being somewhat dismissive in my mind of any theories involving international hits, but now...I don't know. Also on the don't know, was that KW was a strong suspect for me, and he just keeps falling down the list. Unless he's clammed up, lawyered up, and left the country?

What complicates this case is that BS did have many enemies indeed, being a ruthless tycoon and all. The only thing that throws me is, why Honey? Why the elaborate and yet somewhat botched crime scene?

My view: In harming Honey, you add to destroying Barry. JS described them as a lock and a key.

The crime scene might only make sense to the killer(s). But they not only killed the Shermans, the house Barry built and liked will destroyed soon as a result of that night.

Very interesting, ldlager.

From the article you posted:

As Ulster said, Sherman had a personality of “supreme confidence” and became aggressive when he thought he was right.

I’m very curious as to how BS acted when he found out he was wrong about something.

I agree with you, and I think Kevin Donovan is right about the need for transparency from the TPS here. I also understand the need the TPS has to protect their investigation.

@MistyWaters may also be right: there’s a bit of public play-acting going on. They’ll clue us in when they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23