Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware of those comments. I have no doubt they are sincere in thinking they met him. They may have actually met him as well. But memories can be faulty. And as we see by the numerous suggestions in this thread Denim resembled many other hikers. He also chose a fairly common trail name. I would be more confident in their having met our Denim in NY if there were photos of him there as well. Or at least some additional documentation-- like if he had used the same alias (Ben Bilemy) at the Visitor's Center to get a camping permit that would be solid evidence to me that the same person was there, as Bilemy seems to be a made-up surname. I'm not saying he wasn't in NY. He could have been telling the truth about everything and could have started out there. But in evaluating the weight of eyewitness accounts, I can't completely rule out mistaken identity. MOO.

Is denim a common trail name? I was under the impression he stood out at the time he took on the name denim because most hikers know better than to wear denim.

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t think he resembles any of the people posted on the thread. I don’t think he was ever reported missing. Jmo

Is denim a common trail name? I was under the impression he stood out at the time he took on the name denim because most hikers know better than to wear denim.

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t think he resembles any of the people posted on the thread. I don’t think he was ever reported missing. Jmo

In reading old trail blogs I have found mention of several others named Denim from years past. That is how I draw the conclusion it is a somewhat common trail name to end up with-- at least common enough that there is one almost every year. There is probably more than one inexperienced hiker each year who starts out thinking they can wear jeans. MOO.

ETA: Here are a couple examples from 2015 and 2016 that mention encountering a hiker named Denim but I don't believe they are our Denim:
Halftime's 2015 Appalachian Trail Journal : Engsin Cowall Shelter to Raven Rock Shelter : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals
Spice's 2016 Appalachian Trail Journal : June 28, 2016 : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals
Foot Locker's 2016 Appalachian Trail Journal : June 21, 2016 : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

Here are some entries from 2017 that mention our Denim (The reason we know it's him is because there is also a mention of the hiker named Obsidian- who has photos of him and stayed at a Front Royal, VA hostel with him):
GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Hike w Joe 2 : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals
GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Black Rock : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

A photo of Denim I don't recall seeing before (Aug 25 2017 Calf Mountain Shelter Google Maps):
tj21587_082517_201817_1132481.jpg

GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Photo : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

Look at the skin on his arms--It could just be the lighting, but this photo makes me think that he had dropped weight quickly on the AT. And his hat was much whiter back then-- like it was new. MOO.

From that new to me photo, we can learn a couple possibilities: he was likely right handed (knife in rt hand/ watch on left) and he hunched his shoulders forward in unposed photos. Not like backpack back, but his shoulders are rolled forward while seated upright.

Also, his arms tan. Some ppl don’t tan, they only burn. It also highlights the very dark circles under his eyes.

MOO I’m going with bucket list life event to hike AT or do something he never thought he could after a significant diagnosis.

Agree, due to the dark circles under his eyes. Maybe leukemia or kidney failure, each slow death. Compare his eyes to the others - nobody else has these dark circles. He was not well.
He looks more unkempt than anyone else in these photos anyway (his beard is much longer). Could have just been dirty IMO. I've seen other photos where he didn't have dark circles. MOO

A photo of Denim I don't recall seeing before (Aug 25 2017 Calf Mountain Shelter Google Maps):
tj21587_082517_201817_1132481.jpg

GI Joe's 2017 Appalachian Trail Journal : Photo : Trail Journals, Backpacking and Hiking Journals

Look at the skin on his arms--It could just be the lighting, but this photo makes me think that he had dropped weight quickly on the AT. And his hat was much whiter back then-- like it was new. MOO.
I think you should send this to CCSO, they may not know about it if we didn't!

I think you should send this to CCSO, they may not know about it if we didn't!

I think LE probably has it already because Denim was hiking with Obsidian when this picture was taken and Obsidian has commented on the sheriff office fb posts (she is not in the photo but her trail name is listed by the blogger as being there). She would know who else they met up with and probably gave all that info to LE. But please feel free to send the link in if you think it is important LE have it. MOO.

Not long after the candid photo of Denim spreading peanut butter on a tortilla at Calf Mountain Shelter it appears Denim trimmed his beard much shorter-- he is the one standing behind the picnic table farthest from the camera.
These photos were posted Aug 27, 2007:
tj21587_082817_111303_1133107.jpg

tj21587_082817_111303_1133108.jpg

At first he seems taken off guard by the camera, then he poses for the second photo. MOO.

upload_2019-4-25_14-50-5.png
I can't find the original source of this photo at the moment (pretty sure it was posted in the first thread) but thanks to Joe's Blog I just figured out this was taken on top of Humpback Rock-- most likely on or around Aug 28, 2017. Note Denim had shaved and cut his hair so it was likely after the photos of him standing behind the picnic table posted on Aug 27. MOO.

Humpback Rock is only about 14 miles south from Calf Mountain Shelter (Google walking directions do not always follow the AT, however):
Google Maps

Looking at the changes in his hair from Aug 25th to Aug 28th 2017, I wonder if Denim carried an electric hair shaver/beard trimmer with him. The back of his head appears shaved like one would get with a barber's razor. And it appears he trimmed his beard close but didn't shave it off completely. But there are no towns between Calf Mountain Shelter and Humpback Rock in which he could have stopped for a haircut. Google Maps
MOO.

Sooooo, Idk how I missed the Sworn Statement podcast about Mostly Harmless by the Collier Co. LE. How did I miss that? Did we discuss it? I've been following this entire time lol

An intriguing mp case....on his Facebook site I saw he has his ears pierced and earrings....IIRR MH doesn't have his ears pierced...or am I wrong?
Could be something they did not mention--They also did not mention the mole on his neck as seen in one of the photos

IIRC, MH was already well on his way on the trail by July 2017. And IMO, there's not much of a resemblance
The date of June is something Mostly Harmless told them. Some even stated April...As far as we know, he could have started in Maine, Canada, Vermont, Virginia....

It does look like he has a tattoo..and that alone should rule him out. Interestingly of the 5 rule outs in NamUs-3 had tattoos and one had ear piercings and two had scars other than the one Mostly Harmless had

Could be something they did not mention--They also did not mention the mole on his neck as seen in one of the photos

The date of June is something Mostly Harmless told them. Some even stated April...As far as we know, he could have started in Maine, Canada, Vermont, Virginia....

It does look like he has a tattoo..and that alone should rule him out. Interestingly of the 5 rule outs in NamUs-3 had tattoos and one had ear piercings and two had scars other than the one Mostly Harmless had

About the rule out list. I noticed that too and I find it very strange and it doesn't make sense. I would like an explanation for that, but we will not get one. More then once they were very quickly with ruling someone out who was not in a MP database (yet). How? Maybe family pressured LE for comparing, I don't know. Maybe they keep something sensitive, private away from the public that would have a negative impact on people trying to help find him or protecting his family? Or something only the persons close to him would know. About the timeline. We only know the day he was found and the pictures of him along the trail. The other things I treat as heresay, might's and maybe's, not facts.

Last edited:
Not long after the candid photo of Denim spreading peanut butter on a tortilla at Calf Mountain Shelter it appears Denim trimmed his beard much shorter-- he is the one standing behind the picnic table farthest from the camera.
These photos were posted Aug 27, 2007:
tj21587_082817_111303_1133107.jpg

tj21587_082817_111303_1133108.jpg

At first he seems taken off guard by the camera, then he poses for the second photo. MOO.
I see dark circles under his eyes here as well.

Jumping back to the Turkish speculation....at first I thought this speculation was totally out in left field

Like many others I think what has drawn me to this particular case is that our hiker has such a familiar face. I keep thinking that he looks “like” someone I know but I couldn’t put my finger on who.....until this morning. He has a very strong resemblance to a family that I was very close during my younger years. They have a unique last name that I will refrain from posting as to protect their privacy. However, I decided to Google the origin of their last name and read that it’s an Armenian last name with Turkish ties.

This got me thinking about a few other folks that I know with Armenian roots and they too have similar features to our hiker. I know my little “AHA” moment isn’t going to crack the case, but just thought I would share.

Also, while I’m on the subject of his ancestry, shouldn’t his DNA results be available soon? I know the podcast said 6 months to a year. I really wish the they would hand this case over to DNA Doe Project. Those ladies are amazing!!!

I didn't review the rule out list yet for MH on NAMUS. Curious if the MPs ruled have their scars or tats on the same place? Such as all MPs have a scar or tat on the upper arm or, all on the calf, or all on their back etc? If so, we could deduce something from that of course. I'm working & don't have time to chk that.

I didn't review the rule out list yet for MH on NAMUS. Curious if the MPs ruled have their scars or tats on the same place? Such as all MPs have a scar or tat on the upper arm or, all on the calf, or all on their back etc? If so, we could deduce something from that of course. I'm working & don't have time to chk that.

BBM. I don't think they do. MH/Denim doesn't have any tattoos at all and only had a faint scar on his stomach. JMO-- I suspect that the rule outs list might be names that were frequently suggested or suggested early on before they made it clear he had no tattoos. Or perhaps they are names of missing persons who had family members ask if this was their loved one-- so an official comparison was made and they were "officially" ruled out. The podcast said they were ruling missing persons out based on fingerprints and dental records. However, there are also many MP's that are not listed as ruled out on NAMUS but the Sheriff Office replied to suggestions saying it wasn't him. I'm not sure why those names would not be added to the NAMUS list as well. MOO.

Namus suggests possible matches based on certaian criteria and those are the ones that are usually marked as no match in the ruleouts. LE can add the other ruleouts suggested by families, tipsters, or whatever, but they don't have to.

There can also be ruleouts that aren't made public. We don't even know about their existence.

And yes, listing the ones that are most asked about to try to cut down on repeated submissions is a definite possibility as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288