Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone recall LE asking if anyone had picked up someone hitchhiking along the highway carrying a backpack? This was soon after the murders.
Not sure if I'm mixing this case up with another.

If true, what happened? Was a backpack ever recovered?

MOO
I remember LE saying to be on the lookout for a backpack bit I don't recall anything about a hitchhiker.

It sounds like they noticed some creepy guy was in the area, maybe following them, but didn't think much of it.
They obviously did not know he was stalking them until the very last moment.
Who would? There are plenty of creeps around but we usually don't assume they will commit murder. Imo
Not that i am saying I am right, but I have a hunch what he says in the audio isn't orders, but him getting their guard down and luring them back from the direction they were walking. If he said there was a problem, that could have explained his behavior in their mind. There are convicts who convince corrections officer to throw away their lives, someone who is confident, articulate and charismatic could easily influence a child/teen. The person in the audio doesn't sound demanding or even really panicked. In my mind he sounds like a salesman. He is a little anxious but his few words that are in the recordings roll, they start out deep and soft and roll out to carry his voice (most likely due to the noise of the water that garbled the audio a bit). He could have been in the woods in the direction they were walking to, parked down where they came from and then approached them while they were on the bridge to kinda back them into a corner psychologically. Police use this technique in interrogations.

I think I remain frustrated by the insistence that the public should know more about the details of the investigation. Several POIs in this case who turned out to have nothing to do with it have had their lives scandalized and ruined in the aftermath.

I guess I just wish people would be more sensitive to why or why not we might be given sketches or profiles at any given time. The police just know more than we do, and it has to be that way to ensure security of the investigation, to prevent copycat attacks, to ensure innocent people aren't harassed and stalked, etc...

I think there have been accusations that the police are only out to punish in this case and I think there's ample evidence that that's not the case. There is an entire community to think of. Justice for the girls is the end goal, but I can't fathom LE being willing to endanger the general public by flaying the case open and letting everyone run amok with it.

I love you, @holtzmann!! Lol!

And, as I’m not tech savvy, I’ll have to genuinely ask this - but if this guy was tech savvy and had her phone, could he not delete stuff from her cloud using her phone?
With limited reception in the area, I doubt anything made it to the cloud on site. He could have deleted from the phone and it similarly never would have made it to the cloud.

My teen daughter and her friends snap absolutely everything & anything ! Libby already had her phone out to take pictures of the scenic trail and of Abby crossing the bridge. I myself usually have my phone in hand on walks as we call them here in the U.K. to catch the bird in the tree, squirrel or my kids picking a flower ... I really don’t think Libby filming BG needs to be as thoroughly thought through as it is. Libby had her phone to hand and possibly a number of things meant she thankfully caught BG on a her snap. If the investigation seems lacking now, imagine what it would be like if there were no footage at all. I dread to think.

The problem with both criticizing and defending LE in these threads is that inevitably it takes over the thread, becomes the topic. This debate is much like gun debates in this regard - a lot of passion and a whole lot of opinions that get us nowhere except dozens of pages that have little to do with the crime. MOO.

Now I shall nonchalantly stroll away in search of cover.
No I think you are exactly right. I have been guilty myself of commenting on LE, wondering if something was done on purpose or by mistake. I have never done this intentionally as a way of criticizing of LE, I swear. I've just been wondering things out loud, as I think is generally OK to do here. But I see that it is not helpful so I'll probably keep these things to myself.

My teen daughter and her friends snap absolutely everything & anything ! Libby already had her phone out to take pictures of the scenic trail and of Abby crossing the bridge. I myself usually have my phone in hand on walks as we call them here in the U.K. to catch the bird in the tree, squirrel or my kids picking a flower ... I really don’t think Libby filming BG needs to be as thoroughly thought through as it is. Libby had her phone to hand and possibly a number of things meant she thankfully caught BG on a her snap. If the investigation seems lacking now, imagine what it would be like if there were no footage at all. I dread to think.
You know that video could have been an accident, my phone has a little icon next to the snap picture icon in the camera app that records if you touch it, I accidentally record all the time taking pictures. She could have noticed and then stopped the video to not be rude. They seem like decent polite kids. If it was me I would stop the recording just out of respect if it was an accident.

Reading different descriptions of the perpetrator saw this from
So forgive my lack of knowledge here... It's there no way for the fbi to take the information from cell towers and figure out what other phone pinged in that area at the time of the murders and work backwards to to to find those phone owners?

I wonder if he knew about cell phones. I guess he didn't see them taking the video of him or he had no idea that they were taking a video of him. I"m trying to figure out why he wouldn't of taken the phone/s .

And, as I’m not tech savvy, I’ll have to genuinely ask this - but if this guy was tech savvy and had her phone, could he not delete stuff from her cloud using her phone?
Just think about how many recent cases technology has played a crucial role. First to come to mind is Mollie Tibbetts and Delphi, but so many more. It's frustratingly sad that these girls gathered their own evidence, and I hope in court the perp has to watch himself being a monster.

No I think you are exactly right. I have been guilty myself of commenting on LE, wondering if something was done on purpose or by mistake. I have never done this intentionally as a way of criticizing of LE, I swear. I've just been wondering things out loud, as I think is generally OK to do here. But I see that it is not helpful so I'll probably keep these things to myself.
Oh, I don’t think it hurts at all to comment. I was just making the observation that when it becomes a passionate discussion on its own it tends to derail the thread.

Not that i am saying I am right, but I have a hunch what he says in the audio isn't orders, but him getting their guard down and luring them back from the direction they were walking. If he said there was a problem, that could have explained his behavior in their mind. There are convicts who convince corrections officer to throw away their lives, someone who is confident, articulate and charismatic could easily influence a child/teen. The person in the audio doesn't sound demanding or even really panicked. In my mind he sounds like a salesman. He is a little anxious but his few words that are in the recordings roll, they start out deep and soft and roll out to carry his voice (most likely due to the noise of the water that garbled the audio a bit). He could have been in the woods in the direction they were walking to, parked down where they came from and then approached them while they were on the bridge to kinda back them into a corner psychologically. Police use this technique in interrogations.

It’s very difficult to search through prior LE press conferences, interviews and Q and A so I don’t have a link at hand but I’m 99% certain it’s been clearly stated by LE that when the audio of “down the hill” was recorded they believe the girls were at the end of the bridge.

I think more than anything a person would recognize his clothes. People tend to have an "outfit" they wear. My aunt even calls it the uniform!!! I can be walking in town and from a distance recognize my neighbor from behind because of what he is wearing and how he wears it and from his body type. Most people have one jacket, maybe 2 jackets. The way he wears his jeans, not tight but old school is something I would have in my memory. Unless he is totally incognito someone has to recognize the "outfit".....
Imo it was a disguise. He had layers on so he would not be recognized.

This fits my assessment to a tee. One hundred percent. I would also add that there is a strong religious connection. That there are serious mental health issues is redundant.

Apples, don’t you work in the mental health field? I seem to remember you mentioning back when this happened. Anyway, do you think this is a one-off, and he will never do it again? Do you think something specific triggered it such as divorce or getting fired or whatever? If so I’m assuming if something triggers him again he may kill again, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling