Found Deceased Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Anyway, that seems to be a fairly notorious place for accidents, it's a shame the wreckage apparently wasn't located sooner.

Well yes, and wasn't Portia found just metres away on the road side? You'd think someone would have looked over the edge and seen a white car bobbing about.

Do you think they just assumed Portia was a local? And why didn't the hospital put 2+2 together when they (presumably) were told about missing people.

What is the difference between high and low tide?

DR is a poor country. Profits from tourism go out of the country to hotel owners, etc who live far away.

The ocean is powerful. Think of shipwrecks

Well yes, and wasn't Portia found just metres away on the road side? You'd think someone would have looked over the edge and seen a white car bobbing about.

Do you think they just assumed Portia was a local? And why didn't the hospital put 2+2 together when they (presumably) were told about missing people.

These are excellent questions, along with the ones about the fishermen, and to my knowledge haven't been answered.

IMO, a thorough, comprehensive, unbiased investigation would document all this and there would be a report released. Whether this will happen or not remains to be seen.

sorry, I am missing something- where is there information about finding a phone?... (if she had it in her hand, maybe it was the first thing out of the car, and landed in vegetation?)

Sorry for the late response, I am majorly behind on checking notifications and am just starting to do so but this may have already been responded to. I just want to respond since you responded to mine, I did not ignore your response, am just behind in replies. Supposedly at least media-wise they found a phone when they pulled the car up--not necessarily in the car, it was not said, in the water, in the car or elsewhere; no further details on where, how or whose. All this time all these days after, I do not think there is clarification yet.

the phone had to have been in the car, somewhere, or on his body (if it is as has been loosely reported so far). Had a phone fallen out of that vehicle while it was in that "blender" area (for how long again? read: too long) no way they'd be able to just find it on the bottom of the sea there. All that churning... it'd be buried or churned out and back so many times as to be indistinguishable. Where did they find that phone? very curious IMO. All IMO of course... I don't necessarily think there is anything nefarious going on and this may have just been an accident, but I'm open. Not enough has been reported (accurately) yet.

the phone had to have been in the car, somewhere, or on his body (if it is as has been loosely reported so far). Had a phone fallen out of that vehicle while it was in that "blender" area (for how long again? read: too long) no way they'd be able to just find it on the bottom of the sea there. All that churning... it'd be buried or churned out and back so many times as to be indistinguishable. Where did they find that phone? very curious IMO. All IMO of course... I don't necessarily think there is anything nefarious going on and this may have just been an accident, but I'm open. Not enough has been reported (accurately) yet.

Well said. That is exactly where I am at is "open". To this day, there is no info or checkout, airline, flight, etc. Odd. If it was an accident, one does not have to hide it to investigate a crime.... I realize it is a different country but come on... The phone is but another strange thing in a list of strange things...

imo anyhow.

Well I am used to cases going silent but not supposed non-crimes/accidents that have not even provided basic information such as check out time and airline and flight time...

I do hope (but who knows) that the remains are home for both autopsies and for the sake of the families to have at least the small comfort of knowing they are back on US soil.

Where is the info supposed to come from for this accident?

Even in the US, does anyone get info on the details of an accident? The investigation? I have not seen it.

Even in a death, there is not much info printed.

I wonder it their cell phone could be used in the DR?

Usually if you need your phone outside of US ( Puerto Rico, for instance is USA) you have to pay big bucks to use it in a foreign country. Hard to imagine that they would ,pay a big amount to have a phone for a few days.

They would not be able to check in online unless they did it from the resort if the resort had free WiFi.

Maybe they would pay for a hotspot. Foreign travel has lots of issues.

Anybody who is interested in how driving in the Dominican Republic compares to the states, I offer this video. By brother and family were missionaries in the DR for 3 years and one of their friends sent him this drone footage of current Easter weekend traffic at this location:
Dropped pin Near 2, 71000, Dominican Republic Google Maps

Of course it wasn't this busy when Orlando and Portia were heading for the airport, but it demonstrates how dangerous it is there. Watch it carefully several times, there is SO much going on. There's a donkey on the road shoulder under a tree, motorbikes weaving between vehicles, traffic going the wrong direction....
I asked my brother when he would have wanted to leave for the airport had he been the tourists, and he said even after 3 years of driving there, he would NEVER have driven it at night. And he would have started out in the morning. He said roads there have massive unmarked speed bumps that force a driver to go very slowly at night since can't see where they are.

I hope it works to view this Dropbox file. The video is too large to post here.

Dropbox - VID-20190422-WA0002.mp4 - Simplify your life

Anybody who is interested in how driving in the Dominican Republic compares to the states, I offer this video. By brother and family were missionaries in the DR for 3 years and one of their friends sent him this drone footage of current Easter weekend traffic at this location:
Dropped pin Near 2, 71000, Dominican Republic Google Maps

Of course it wasn't this busy when Orlando and Portia were heading for the airport, but it demonstrates how dangerous it is there. Watch it carefully several times, there is SO much going on. There's a donkey on the road shoulder under a tree, motorbikes weaving between vehicles, traffic going the wrong direction....
I asked my brother when he would have wanted to leave for the airport had he been the tourists, and he said even after 3 years of driving there, he would NEVER have driven it at night. And he would have started out in the morning. He said roads there have massive unmarked speed bumps that force a driver to go very slowly at night since can't see where they are.

I hope it works to view this Dropbox file. The video is too large to post here.

Dropbox - VID-20190422-WA0002.mp4 - Simplify your life

I still think if OM had driven in the 5 boroughs of NY during rush hour, he might not have thought DR was that bad. Still, in the dark at night, a lot of things could have happened.

I drive in NYC and have been to all different parts of the DR. The biggest issue for driving in the DR is the hazards that pop up on the road--- like scooters that surround your car, people stopping short to try to cause an accident, no rules of the road that you can count others will obey, and potholes/road conditions. While NYC can be difficult to navigate, there are enough safeguards, at least in this day and age. NYC in the 80's was a bit more dangerous to drive in. The DR has not improved over the time I have visited. I am not sure what happened to this couple but I don't think it was just a simple accident.

double post/deleted by me.

I would sure like to hear what the FBI and our people have learned or determined. I would hope that is still ongoing, it has been pretty quiet. The last I knew we had not heard that Wray answered or agreed to the congressmen's request to look into this if I remember correctly. Maybe he has and it was just not reported.

I just looked and could find only one new update and it was from DR news. Both bodies have been returned to the states it says. As for anything else in the article, it is the usual speculation with regard to speed, alcohol and more. Here is the link:

Relatives of Orlando Moore identified his body and transported remains to the United States

I would sure like to hear what the FBI and our people have learned or determined. I would hope that is still ongoing, it has been pretty quiet. The last I knew we had not heard that Wray answered or agreed to the congressmen's request to look into this if I remember correctly. Maybe he has and it was just not reported.

I just looked and could find only one new update and it was from DR news. Both bodies have been returned to the states it says. As for anything else in the article, it is the usual speculation with regard to speed, alcohol and more. Here is the link:

Relatives of Orlando Moore identified his body and transported remains to the United States

I've been looking for updates also, ilovechili, and was only able to find the article you linked (thanks for that, btw!). Even that updated article notes their ages as "Orlando Moore, 40, and Portia Ravenelle, 52", while a Daily Mail article linked on page 1 of this thread in post #6 by Gardenista "
New York Couple Vanishes During Caribbean Vacation

Desperate hunt for New York couple who vanished in Dominican Republic | Daily Mail Online

1. Gardenista, Apr 8, 2019Report
    #6"
lists PR's age as 32 and OM's age as 43

ETA: I think there have been several different ages reported for both OM and PR, so I'm not sure what's correct.

Last edited:
I've been looking for updates also, ilovechili, and was only able to find the article you linked (thanks for that, btw!). Even that updated article notes their ages as "Orlando Moore, 40, and Portia Ravenelle, 52", while a Daily Mail article linked on page 1 of this thread in post #6 by Gardenista "
New York Couple Vanishes During Caribbean Vacation

Desperate hunt for New York couple who vanished in Dominican Republic | Daily Mail Online

1. Gardenista, Apr 8, 2019Report
    #6"
lists PR's age as 32 and OM's age as 43

ETA: I think there have been several different ages reported for both OM and PR, so I'm not sure what's correct.

The age and so many other things so contradictory in the various news reports, it is hard to know what is correct. It is no wonder some of us wonder :) since one cannot even assume anything as "fact" with the reporting that is all over the place...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle79903
Back