Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - removed a quoted that has been deleted from the board>

I just wish people could simply drive their kids to the police/fire department, a hospital or other safe place and tell someone “we’d rather do drugs, exist in filth & the kids are a hassle.” It would be much easier than hiding a body & serving LWOP.

Just the fact the mom tried to get custody of P returned last week leaves me speechless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the state of Illinois is watching this. And changing things as a result. I kinda doubt it unfortunately.
Of course they are watching....and investigating. This has happened too many times and they can't ignore it. The many "unfounded" conclusions are because someone either was too lazy to do their job or was paid to look the other way. They should investigate every case where AJ, Sr. served as an attorney and see if any of his clients were connected to DCFS in any way.

‘Failure after failure’: Lawmakers grill DCFS officials over death of AJ Freund

I just wish people could simply drive their kids to the police/fire department, a hospital or other safe place and tell someone “we’d rather do drugs, exist in filth & the kids are a hassle.” It would be much easier than hiding a body & serving LWOP.

As someone who struggled with infertility, and has friends who would love to adopt, I wish this too. I was lucky, in that my birth parents' parental rights were terminated after abuse was found on an older sibling. There are so many people desperate to love these lovable kids, and the younger they can be united with loving parents the better, for everyone.

Parents of 'murdered' five-year-old AJ Freund appear separately in quick court hearing | Daily Mail Online

The photo of the house is disturbing & I hope the city or the responsible party remove what looks like an appliance next to the garage. With summer approaching more kids will be out, plus onlookers. It would be most awful to have another tragedy at the Dole address with a child injured in an appliance. Moo

That house gives me the heebie jeebies. I know there’s some locals here at WS, and I don’t mean any disrespect whatsoever, but some people who have went to the house to pay their respects have said that there is a very eerie feeling when they walked into the yard. Some have said they felt a very heavy oppression there. And even with so many people milling about and traffic on the street, it was absolutely silent in the yard. I typically don’t give much credence to those kinds of things but I just don’t think I could go there.

JMO

Last edited:
That house gives me the heebie jeebies. I know there’s some locals here at WS, and I don’t mean any disrespect whatsoever, but some people who have went to the house to pay their respects have said that there is a very eerie feeling when they walked into the yard. Some have said they felt a very heavy oppression there. And even with so many people milling about, it was absolutely silent in the yard. I don’t give much credence to eerie things, but I just don’t think I could go there.

JMO

Vacant homes are often vandalized, I just don’t want any kids to get in the washer/dryer & become trapped, seems not too many good things happen at that house.

Just popping in to say how glad I am that little AJ's funeral is fully funded. I am so happy he is going to have a beautiful service, which I will not be able to attend. So I send my love and prayers.
Just an fyi, and I am sure many are aware already, but there are scammers trying to collect money in these dear children's names all the time.
Sadly, this seems to be happening in this case.
Makes me angry and sad.
Fly high AJ. I am sure you are with Lucas and so many others.
wings-tattoos-png-transparent-images-1.png

Love,
Chi

I’ve learned from reading the IL Child Death Report that one sure way to get away with murdering your child is to claim you were co-sleeping. Case after case of asphyxia due to overlay co-sleeping, with parents having been educated about proper sleep practices prior to the incident.

I just can’t.
Can I look at those records? I'm surely curious about what gets away from SS

I’m sending my thoughts and prayers to AJ’s grandparents and siblings. May sweet little AJ fly high with his Angel wings and have Peace and Love forever. And JMOO I hope those parents don’t ever get custody of any of their kids now or in the future. The only thing they need is the punishment jailmates can give them.

I’m not a violent person but when I look at her jail photo, I just want to punch her in the face!

The photo that made me feel violent tendencies is the one of the three of them on a couch. She was holding little brother, hugging on him, and poor little AJ looking so miserably out of place, beaten and bruised. His little face said it all. My heart hurts so much for him and what his little life was like.

Parental rights at issue at hearing to determine care for younger brother of slain 5-year-old AJ Freund
Prosecutors said Monday that they are trying to terminate parental rights to the younger brother of Andrew “AJ” Freund, the 5-year-old Crystal Lake, Ill., boy whose parents are charged with murder and other crimes in his death.

McHenry County Judge Christopher Harmon said the state would have to prove that JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund are unfit to be parents beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don’t want DCFS protecting P. Sorry. I don’t trust them anymore. The picture of him with his older brother is so adorable. I want these two together. I know it can be too much for the grandma but he deserves to be around loved ones. Who knows where DCFS will place him considering JC was at one time, a foster parent. No thank you. I wonder what JC’s mom must feel. The pain must be unbearable.

As much as I’m not excusing JC at all, I have to say the dad gives me the worse vibes. JC has never seemed “with it” to me. She seems completely out of it and in Zombie land. Not that this is an excuse! However, the father has appeared pretty sober and with it to me in a lot of occasions - 911 call, interview, vigil - and now asking for a REAL attorney? Who the eff does he thinks he is? Better than the other criminals? This guy seems like a psychopath/sociopath to me and not just a drug addict. He seems cunning and manipulative. Was JC an easy prey for him? JC seems... so deep in her addiction but Andrew SR seems like he knows and knew better. The guy gives me serious psychopath vibes. JC gives me a lowlife, zombie, heroin addict vibe - a lowlife who let drugs rule her life and not give a single EFF about her children. Still think AJ Senior is the more “cold blooded” of the two.

WOODSTOCK, Ill. — An Illinois mother and father charged with murder in the death of their 5-year-old son have agreed to let the state’s child welfare agency care for their younger son.

JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr.’s younger son was taken into Illinois Department of Children and Family Services custody following the disappearance of Andrew “AJ” Freund. AJ’s body was found last week, and Cunningham and Freund charged with murder among other counts.
Parents of 5-year-old AJ Freund agree to give up custody of other son

AJ - Updated Timeline:

• AF was JC's divorce attorney
June 7, 2012 - Thursday
  • DCFS received a hotline call alleging inadequate supervision. The allegations were that JC is abusing prescription drugs and neglecting her foster child. The report was unfounded and expunged
December 24, 2012 - Wednesday
  • DCFS hotline received a call alleging environmental neglect and injurious environment as to her oldest son. The report alleged JC is abusing prescription drugs and has mental health issues. The report was unfounded and expunged
2013-2018
  • Crystal Lake police said officers have been called to the home 17 times since the child was born five years ago. The Crystal Lake Police Department released reports detailing what they call "unacceptable" living conditions along with alleged drug abuse and concerns the Department of Children and Family Services had for the children's welfare. DCFS last had contact with the family in December of last year
January 17, 2013 - Thursday
  • JC involved in a legal dispute with her mother, involving JC’s eldest son. JC’s mother filed an order of protection petition accusing JC and AF of forcing JC’s eldest son to live in “constant fear, hunger and filth,” as well as denying him medical care, food, clean clothing and a healthy living environment. (Closed 10/21/13)
June 13, 2013 - Thursday
  • JC was charged with retail theft, took another plea and received more supervision and fines
  • AF was charged with retail theft, and received one year supervision and drug and alcohol treatment
June 26, 2013 - Wednesday
  • JC battery charge - She negotiated a plea deal, paid a fine and got six months supervision, anger counseling and drug addiction treatment
October 14, 2013 - Monday
  • AJ was born
October 16, 2013 - Wednesday
  • DCFS received a hotline report alleging substance misuse by neglect, afterJC gave birth to AJ on 10/14/13. AJ and JC tested positive for opiates and benzodiazepines. The report was indicated for Substance Misuse. AJ was removed from his mother’s care during the investigation
November 2013
  • DCFS took AJ into protective custody. He was placed into foster home
May 30, 2014 - Friday
  • JC - OFP (Closed 6/10/14)
October 13, 2015 - Tuesday
  • AF, who was licensed in 1984, was suspended for two years and until further order of the Court, with the suspension stayed after ninety days by a two-year period of conditional probation. While representing his client in a dissolution of marriage case, AF was convicted of indirect criminal contempt after the judge found that he had violated court orders. Also, he appeared in court on behalf of a client after he had been removed from the Master Roll of Attorneys due to his failure to register or complete his mandatory continuing legal education requirements. The suspension is effective on October 13, 2015
June 2015
  • AJ was returned home from foster care
October 13, 2015 -Tuesday
  • JC - Ordinance Violation, Animal Control
April 2016
  • DCFS closed AJ’s Protective Custody Case
October 31, 2017 - Tuesday
  • A neighbor who lives across the street from the Freunds’ house, she said, she first met the family when the boy and his mom came to her door on Halloween in 2017. AJ had bandages on his face and arm. She thought he was dressed as a mummy, but his mother said he had grabbed a pot of boiling water that day, was burned and went to the hospital for treatment
December 12, 2017 - Tuesday
  • JC physical altercation at another residence with a female about a set of keys
January 17, 2018 - Wednesday
  • Report of not paying hotel bill. CLPD went to JC and AJ residence, subject looked out window and didn’t anwer the door
February 14, 2018 - Wednesday
  • DN left the Dole residence
February 16, 2018 - Friday
  • JC reported DN missing to CLPD and stated he possibly took the train to Chicago, but hasn’t been able to get in contact with him since he left
February 19, 2018 - Monday
  • DN was located at a facility of some sort. CLPD closed his missing person report
March 21, 2018 - Wednesday
  • Police found JC asleep in her car, her arms, neck and feet covered in “fresh track marks” from needles. The mother was brought to the emergency room after being found unresponsive in a car. AJ was observed at the hospital to have odd bruising on his face. A hospital social worker called the DCFS hotline to report that AJ had “odd bruising on his face”. Both AJ and his younger brother, now 4, were wearing clothes that were inside out. DCFS reported that alleged substantial risk of physical injury/injurious environment and environment neglect against the mother and father. The report alleged that the DCFS investigator contacted the parents in unsuccessful attempt to see the children on 03/21/18, 3/29/18 and 4/9/18.
March 29, 2018 - Thursday
  • DCFS investigator contacted the parents in unsuccessful attempt to see the children
March 2018
  • DCFS investigated allegations of neglect by JC and AF, but concluded they were unfounded. The mother agreed to re-enter treatment
April 9, 2018 - Monday
  • DCFS investigator contacted the parents in unsuccessful attempt to see the children
April 18, 2018 - Wednesday
  • JC - Traffic Violation
April 25, 2018 - Wednesday
  • DCFS investigator met with JC, AJ and his younger brother. JC was interviewed while the boys played outside in the driveway of the home. DCFS investigator observed the boys to be clean and did not find signs of maltreatment
July 20, 2018 - Friday
  • Mortgage Foreclosure Opened
August 5, 2018 - Sunday
  • JC reported she lost a backpack the night before and has no recollection of what happened the night before or how she got to bed. The backpack was found today, but the medication inside of the backpack was missing. When the officer arrived it was noted that both the male and female appeared to be on some sort of narcotic medication. JC stated the medication strip is free for her, but it’s sold on the street illegally for $900. A report needs to be made and given to the Dr in order to receive another prescription
September 4, 2018 - Tuesday
  • Report of dog at large
September 5, 2018 - Wednesday
  • Report of dog at large
September 20, 2018 - Thursday
  • Report of no power and bad living conditions at the home. CLPD did well being check and made contact with JC and was denied access to the home. JC confirmed there was no power and could not say for sure how long they had been without power. JC was holding one child and the child appeared to be happy and healthy, when asked to see the other child JC said he was sleeping. CLPD told JC they would be contacting DCFS. She said she understood and said they were there one month ago. CLPD contacted DCFS and they stated a home without power does not warrant a a DCFS investigation.
December 18, 2018 - Tuesday
  • From scanner (police communications) -JC claims an android cell phone and 2 prescription pill bottles (Adderall for ADHD and Suboxin for treatment of opioid addiction and dependence)were stolen in an alleged burglary from her home.
  • ER Physician examined AJ and could not state how his injury was caused. The doctor reported injury could have been caused by a dog, belt or a football. The doctor was concerned because AJ stated that "maybe someone hit me with a belt. Maybe mommy didn't mean to hurt me." DCFS investigator contacted the father to pick the children up from hospital until the home environment can be assessed. The father was asked to remain in the home as a safety precaution.
  • DCFS investigated another allegation of abuse and neglect by JC. AJ was temporarily removed by police, but he was returned to the home after the allegations were ruled unfounded. There was no evidence to support allegations of deplorable conditions in the home, and bruising on AJ was attributed to the dog. Another officer at the same call noted in her report that upstairs where the boys sleep a window was open and there was an overwhelming smell of feces. That same officer noticed that one of the boys, who was only wearing a pull-up diaper, had a large bruise on his hip.
December 19, 2018 - Wednesday
  • Woodstock police arrested DN, after he allegedly kicked and hit two nurses and a security guard at Northwestern Medical Hospital. DN 36 yr old, is also reported to have lived at the home some time within the past year
December 21, 2018 - Friday
  • JC - Traffic Violation
February 8, 2019 - Friday
  • JC - Ordinance Violation, Animal Control (closed 5/8/19)
March 4, 2019 - Monday
  • JC Aggravated Battery incident occurred (counts 10-12, charged on date of arrest 4/24)
April 4, 2019 - Thursday
  • Neighbors said the family was supposed to be out of the home by April 4
April 13, 2019 - Saturday
  • JC and AJ’s younger brother on FB live at motel swimming
April 15, 2019 - Monday
  • Parents forced AJ into a shower and/or struck him, leading to his death
April 17, 2019 - Wednesday
  • Last seen in bed at 9:30 pm
April 18, 2019 - Thursday
  • AF went to doctor appointment and returned home @ 8:30am
  • AJ reported missing by 911 call made by AF
  • JC’s attorney said JC had been questioned by police on Thursday
  • JC was arrested at the LCPD on an arrest warrant for failure to appear on driving with a suspended DL. JC was released after paying the required $300 bond
April 19, 2019 - Friday
  • Late Friday afternoon, a team of police in about seven vehicles pulled up to the house and went inside with a search warrant
  • Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said it has had contact with the family of the boy, AJ since he was born in 2013 with opiates in his system. DCFS continued having contact off and on until late 2018
  • A younger son was placed into DCFS custody
  • Police said, “In reviewing all investigative information thus far, there is no indication that would lead police to believe that an abduction had taken place.” They also said: “Information obtained currently has police focusing on the residence”
  • Canine teams that were used during the investigation “only picked up AJ’s scent within the residence indicating that Andrew had not walked away on foot”
April 23, 2019 - Tuesday
  • JC - Court 8:30am driving with a suspended DL
  • Shelter Hearing for AJ’s younger brother
April 24, 2019 - Wednesday
  • Information was obtained from forensic analysis of cell phone data. Once presented with the evidence obtained by investigators, both JC and AF provided information that ultimately led to recovery," said Crystal Lake Police Chief JB
  • Overnight police and FBI interviewed both JC and AF after information was obtained through a forensic analysis of cell phone data. Once presented with the information, the parents provided information about the location of the boy's body
  • AJ’s body was found 7 miles from home - buried in shallow grave and wrapped in plastic
  • Police were seen removing items from boy's home in Crystal Lake, including a small mattress, shovel caked with dirt, plastic storage totes and bags
  • Family dog “Lucy” was removed from home by Animal Control.
  • JC - Charged
    • 5 counts of first degree murder
    • 4 counts aggravated battery
    • 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery
    • 1 count of failure to report a missing or child death
  • AF Sr. - Charged
    • 2 counts aggravated battery
    • 1 counts of aggravated domestic battery
    • 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death
  • Police allege AJ was forced into a cold shower for an extended period of time and struck before he died
  • Two vigils held
April 25, 2019 - Thursday
  • COURT - Bond Hearing - 8 am (JC and AF)
    • Bond was set at $5 million each. They will each have to pay $500,000 to get out of jail
  • Autopsy to determine COD will be preformed
    • Cause of death determined as "craniocerebral trauma as a consequence of multiple blunt force injuries." According to the Coroner AJ suffered skull and brain trauma as a result of multiple blunt force injuries
April 27, 2019 - Saturday
  • Vigil - 6:30 pm at Lippold Park
April 29, 2019 - Monday
  • COURT - Arraignment - 9:00 am (JC and AF) status hearing to set court date for Preliminary Hearing
    • Neither party made a plea today, hearing will resume on May 10th
    • JC has a public defender and AF wants to find his own attorney
  • COURT - Custody Hearing - (AJ’s 4yr old brother, currently in the custody of family
    • No Contact order for AF Sr. and JC to see child
    • JC and AF agreed to have the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services care for their younger son, while prosecutors attempt to revoke the former couple's parental rights.
    • McHenry County State's Attorney's Office also filed a petition seeking to terminate AF and JC's parental rights.
May 3, 2019 - Friday
  • Visitation for AJ will be held 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Davenport Family Funeral Home in Crystal Lake.
  • COURT - Status Attorney 9:00 am (AF)
May 10, 2019 - Friday
  • COURT - Preliminary Hearing - 9:00 am (JC and AF) both are expected to enter a plea
May 30, 2019 - Thursday
  • COURT - Custody Hearing - 10:00 am (AJ’s 4yr old brother)

AJ Case - Court Dates:

April 24, 2019 - Wednesday
  • JC - Charged
    • 4 counts aggravated battery
    • 2 counts of aggravated domestic battery
  • AF Sr. - Charged
    • 2 counts aggravated battery
    • 1 counts of aggravated domestic battery
    • 2 counts of concealment of homicidal death
April 25, 2019 - Thursday
  • COURT - Bond Hearing - 8 am (JC and AF)
    • Bond was set at $5 million each. They will each have to pay $500,000 to get out of jail
April 29, 2019 - Monday
  • COURT - Arraignment - 9:00 am (JC and AF) status hearing to set court date for Preliminary Hearing
    • Neither party made a plea today, hearing will resume on May 10th
    • JC has a public defender and AF wants to find his own attorney
    • petition seeking to terminate AF and JC's parental rights.
  • COURT - Custody Hearing - (AJ’s 4yr old brother, currently in the custody of family)
    • No Contact order for AF Sr. and JC to see child
    • JC and AF agreed to have the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services care for their younger son, while prosecutors attempt to revoke the former couple's parental rights.
    • McHenry County State's Attorney's Office also filed a petition seeking to terminate AF and JC's parental rights
May 3, 2019 - Friday
  • COURT - Status Attorney 9:00 am (AF)
May 10, 2019 - Friday
  • COURT - Preliminary Hearing - 9:00 am (JC and AF) both are expected to enter a plea
May 30, 2019 - Thursday
  • COURT - Custody Hearing - 10:00 am (AJ’s 4yr old brother)

AJ - Links and Info:

Missing Since - Apr 17, 2019
Missing From - Crystal Lake, IL
DOB - Oct 14, 2013
Age Now - 5
Sex - Male
Race - White
Hair Color - Blonde
Eye Color - Brown
Height - 3'5"
Weight - 65 lbs

Case information website: Public Case Access - McHenry County
IL General Assembly definitions for counts: Illinois General Assembly Home Page
AF Court Documents: Andrew Freund Criminal Complaint
JC Court Documents: JoAnn Cunningham Criminal Complaint
McHenry Co Sheriff Dept inmate search: McHenry County Sheriff

JoAnn Cunningham
Andrew Freund

ARDC: Disciplinary Reports and Decisions Search

Link to police reports prior to AJ being reported missing: https://www.crystallake.org/home/showdocument?id=17706

A.J. Freund DCFS Timeline | Child Protective Services | Child Custody

Illinois OIG DCFS Annual Report for 2018: OIG Annual Reports - Office of the Inspector General

Tia A. Ewing on Twitter: Tia A. Ewing (@TIA_EWING) | Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member