AZ AZ - Maria De Los Angeles Martinez, 17, Phoenix, 13 Oct 1990

So, there are suspects-are they still actively working the case, then? Is Maria's family still in the states?

Just received this e-mail from the detective in charge of Maria's case:

Maria was an illegal immigrant. She was a Spanish speaker and the radio station from which she did her advertisement was a Spanish language station. It is unknown why Maria's family waited to report her as a missing juvenile. There are suspects in this case. Maria's relative claimed to have seen her leave in a vehicle. In Mexico, people identify themselves by using the paternal surname and the maternal surname. That is why there are different variation of Maria's names in NamUs.

I wasn't here in the 90s but I can tell you now that being illegal would keep many from reaching out to police. What if they were deported in trying to get her back? There is so much fear.

I just got another e-mail from the detective saying he couldn't release any more pertinent information, but he did say that all missing persons cases in Phoenix are continually investigated until that person or their remains are found.

Bumping.

This case is so creepy.

If she called her parents "a short time later," he probably lived close by.

I wonder if there were actually any children in his house? It was a Saturday, so there would have been no school(assuming they would have been old enough to attend school)...and I imagine she'd have called the police instead of her parents if anything looked amiss.

That said, if he had planned on harming her, I'm surprised he allowed her to use his phone in the first place. Surely he'd have expected her parents to notify the police if he unplugged/grabbed the phone while she was talking, and didn't let her return home?

Such a creepy case. If Maria succeeded to phone to her parents than maybe at this point she felt uncomfortable but not in grave danger, when the Killer heard the call he disconnected the call and harmed her. So sad that after almost 28 years there is still no justice for Maria.

Original

A crime of opportunity I guess, the presumed perp mustve taken huge risks hence he didn't even know howshe looked like before she got there. And who knows, she could've told somebody else where she was heading. How did she get to that man? did he pick her up? probably. Someobody must've seen him and his car. Could a neighbour seen the man with Maria getting out of his car and into his reisdence? maybe. From where was she calling? the man's house, If so why would he let her call home in the first place if he wasn't gonna let her go. It just surpprises me this one is still unsolved.

Original

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP3939
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Bexar County Jane Doe (1990)
Sex Female
Race White
Location San Antonio, Texas
Found November 1, 1990
Unidentified for 28 years
Postmortem interval Unknown
Body condition Recognizable face
Age approximation 18 - 26
Height approximation 5'1 - 5'2
Weight approximation 115 - 125 pounds
Cause of death Not stated

Case
The victim's body was found in a drainage ditch in 1990. She had suffered trauma to the left side of her face, most likely from a blunt instrument. Her cause and manner of death has not been released, yet she most likely was murdered or died from a pedestrian versus vehicle collision.

Clothing
  • The woman wore a black, short-sleeved blouse with multi-colored flowers.
  • She wore red shorts with the word "Cantu" written on the cuff of the right leg.
Bexar County Jane Doe (1990)

Just received this e-mail from the detective in charge of Maria's case:

Maria was an illegal immigrant. She was a Spanish speaker and the radio station from which she did her advertisement was a Spanish language station. It is unknown why Maria's family waited to report her as a missing juvenile. There are suspects in this case. Maria's relative claimed to have seen her leave in a vehicle. In Mexico, people identify themselves by using the paternal surname and the maternal surname. That is why there are different variation of Maria's names in NamUs.

Thanks to you Bobby88 we have more details , I wonder if the term suspects means that there are several suspects that are familiar with each other (a group of killers) or Separate suspects without connection between them. It's so creepy to think that Maria just
went to the car with someone she didn't know at all and got in to the killer/killers house, It is very frustrating that there is no progress in finding Maria and bringing the criminal or criminals to justice.

Poor Maria , she didn't had a chance :(

Last edited:
Original

A crime of opportunity I guess, the presumed perp mustve taken huge risks hence he didn't even know howshe looked like before she got there. And who knows, she could've told somebody else where she was heading. How did she get to that man? did he pick her up? probably. Someobody must've seen him and his car. Could a neighbour seen the man with Maria getting out of his car and into his reisdence? maybe. From where was she calling? the man's house, If so why would he let her call home in the first place if he wasn't gonna let her go. It just surpprises me this one is still unsolved.

I also wondered regarding the call, if the killer planned to harm Maria in advanced why he let her approach to the phone? I think he went to other room for a moment for some reason and then Maria was already felt uncomfortable so she dialed home, when he returned he disconnect the phone and killed Maria, it was his plan to harm Maria from the first moment he knew she is going to be a babysiter for his "children" , he knew that if Maria will give his address he might be caught and he stopped her, I believe that even without the phone call he had planned that Maria would never come back.

Last edited:
We latinos use our parents surnames. Paternal first and second Maternal. In this case Martinez is her paternal surname and Pereyra is her maternal. In the US only one is use hence why the confusion on her name.

If Ms Martinez only spoke Spanish, then her caller was probably another Latino or at least someone with enough Spanish knowledge.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back