ME ME - Cathy Moulton, 16, Portland, 24 Sept 1971

upload_2019-7-17_17-10-55.jpegupload_2019-7-17_17-10-43.jpeg

Cathy's photo is shown age-progressed to 63 years. She was last seen in the downtown area of Portland, Maine. She was 16 years-old. At the time of her disappearance, Cathy's four eye teeth had been removed and she had braces on her teeth. She wore thick eyeglasses. Cathy was last seen wearing a navy blue all-weather coat, a navy blue pant dress and brown leather shoes.

Link: Have you seen this child? CATHY MOULTON

re: "During the summer of 1971, Cathy’s parents took her on an 81-day trip touring the US and Mexico; it was Cathy’s first real experience outside her home state of Maine."

This is the first time I have heard of this trip. I wonder how much freedom Cathy had while traveling? Is it possible she may have met someone and made plans to stay in touch/meet again and things went awry?

If it has been shared previously, I apologize, but the 1986 article which mentioned her vacation would be interesting to read.

re: "During the summer of 1971, Cathy’s parents took her on an 81-day trip touring the US and Mexico; it was Cathy’s first real experience outside her home state of Maine."

This is the first time I have heard of this trip. I wonder how much freedom Cathy had while traveling? Is it possible she may have met someone and made plans to stay in touch/meet again and things went awry?

If it has been shared previously, I apologize, but the 1986 article which mentioned her vacation would be interesting to read.

Not saying it's impossible but ways to "keep in touch" were limited at that time. Snail Mail or phone calls - and long-distance calls weren't cheap. I'd think there would have been something left behind. Letters from the person and/or long distance charges on the phone bill.

They got that information from the book written about Cathy I assume

Not saying it's impossible but ways to "keep in touch" were limited at that time. Snail Mail or phone calls - and long-distance calls weren't cheap. I'd think there would have been something left behind. Letters from the person and/or long distance charges on the phone bill.

I remember having a "party line" as a young kid in the 70s. It probably IS a farfetched idea, but I was thinking of the hippie/free spirited types who moved around a lot. Could someone have said "I will be in your area in late September?"

There was something about her picking potatoes with boys at one point right? Maybe totally false or I'm confusing threads?

I'm playing around with the Artbreeder thing trying to colorize her picture. Not having a lot of luck, but it is fun. A lot of the old B&Ws look so very different once you're able to add their eye color.

This is the first time I have heard of this trip.

Same...and honestly, it strikes me as a little odd. Cathy had never even vacationed outside Maine before, but her parents thought that an 81-day trip was the best way to start? Was there some other reason that her parents wanted to get away for a while?

Same...and honestly, it strikes me as a little odd. Cathy had never even vacationed outside Maine before, but her parents thought that an 81-day trip was the best way to start? Was there some other reason that her parents wanted to get away for a while?

It sounds like it was a cross country road trip to me. Having done a few myself, 81 days doesn't seem terribly unusual, especially since they also went to Mexico, but I would also like to know more about the trip. Did they visit anyone along the way? What was the itinerary?

What year of school was Cathy? Siblings? At 16, she could have been anything from a Sophomore to a Senior? A long summer trip might seen as a "last chance" to bond with children who would soon be off to college or adult lives?

I need to go back and read through the details again, but I can see a family taking a summer road trip. If you drive out West and back from the East Coast, and stop at different historical and touristy spots along the way, a couple of months is about right.

Thank you! I have had difficulty viewing ruleouts lately

There was an update to NamUs 2.0 last week that caused all kinds of issues, especially with the unidentified. As of today (I checked at 10:30 a.m.) it's working again. Of course, just make sure you're logged in. :)

Was the ring ever identified? As to the letters' meaning?

This may have already been done, but I have reached out to local Maine antique jewelry stores with the ring picture to see if they can provide any guidance.

Couldn't hurt to have another professional take a look. I know initially a jeweler did examine the ring, I think that's noted in NamUs on the sketches of the ring pictures there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back