MD MD - Judith 'Judy' O'Donnell, 19, Baltimore, 30 Nov 1980

JODonnell2.jpg
JODonnell3.jpg
JODonnell4.jpg

Judith Erin O'Donnell
Missing since November 30, 1980 from Baltimore, Maryland.
Classification: Involuntary
Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: April 28, 1961
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10; 140 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Her tonsils and adenoids have been removed. She has a scar under the chin and a scar on her left arm.
    • AKA: Judith Tuffy; Tuffy O'Donnell
    • DNA: Available
    • Dentals: Available
    • Circumstances of Disappearance
O'Donnell was last seen in Baltimore, MD on November 30, 1980. She had a bus ticket to return to her home in New York City's Greenwich Village area that day. She was living on the street at the time and spent several nights at Covenant House. She went to NYC from Update NY to become an actress.
Foul play is suspected in O' Donnell's case.

Judy hung out at Studio 54 in New York City, lived the bohemian lifestyle, had gone with hopes and dreams of becoming famous (actress/singer/etc.) and found herself on hard times. She has an arrest record in New York City -- at least 3 collars for prostitution. She had stayed on more than one occasion at Covenant House. She "lived" in the Village with "friends".

Investigators
If you have any information on this case, please contact:
New York State Police
Violent Crime Analysis Program
518-464-7144

Agency Case Number: 2007-164
NCIC Number: M700221803
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The Doe Network
New York State Police Department
Long Island Press
Looking for Judy
NamUs MP #8051
You Tube Video
Family of Judy

LINK:
The Doe Network: Case File 39DFMD

as stated correctly by previous poster - it was a family gathering for thanksgiving, 1980. It was a particularly emotionally charged thanksgiving - one sister was presenting her son, the first grandchild on that side of the family, mulatto, born out of wedlock in a baltimore catholic family. There were also 2 50th wedding anniversaries that year -neither of which my sisters were invited to attend. Judy Hitch-hiked to MN to attend one of them. My sister Judy was also uninvited to be a part of my brother's wedding the year before. Judy showed up in Ellicott City Maryland (at an uncle's home) with her bags of clothes (think those big honkin' army bags). She was more or less living on the street, though all the sites claim she was living in the Village. She was an apiring actress/singer - and had spent time at Covenant House. She had also been arrested for prostitution more than once. Her favorite haunt in the City was Studio 54.

I cannot remember what she was wearing that day. I believe she did not have pierced ears. She did have a scar under her chin and one on her left arm. She had a discolored left central incisor (top), and had braces - but did not wear her retainer, so her bucked teeth and split between the two fronts came back.

I am certain. CERTAIN I saw her at one of Reagan's innaugural parties in January 1981. I was home alone - and didn't think to call the Reagan library to get copies until 2005. The copies of all the TV coverage I received did not have her on any of them (6 hours or so worth of tape).

Judy is 5'11", dark steel blue eyes, with yellow ring around the iris. She was known to hitch hike, often. She had long, thin (but shapely) athletic legs.

As far as we know, she never made it back to NYC. I wish I could be of more help.

What Judy was wearing on Nov 30th ... since the above post, a picture of Judy taken just before leaving Ellicott City for the Balitmore bus terminal has been shared, the full photo included in this video

Other family members have claimed they saw her a couple of years later, in east Brunswick, nj. But they were hesitant to share the info.

Maureen, is there any link with Judy and east Brunswick as far as you know? Did your family members disclosed anything else...what did they see, in what state she was in? Do you know what made them not share this info? Did you ever had a chance to ask them? Or were they hesitant because they were not really sure it was Judy? Sorry, coming in your face like this.

A stupid question maybe...could she have be in commercial adds. I found this. There are some girls in advertising for French frites and a lunch food add....with another girl, reminding me of Judy. It's probably nothing......6:09 and 6:38

Last edited:
Well I mean private companies, if she had just assumed a new identity maybe she could have produced offspring and they might be in some database like Gedmatch. Just a thought.

I agree. She should test with Ancestry, then upload her Ancestry results (it's called a RAW file) to the free databases at My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis.

GEDmatch Genesis allows LE to look for matches to solve crimes. You can always upload, see the matches, then turn matching off. Same with FTDNA who allows the FBI to upload. I have matching turned off for 6 accounts (my kids, their grandmothers, my hub and my dads brother). For mine, I allow matching but do not allow LE to access my DNA. I turn matching on with LE access off when I go check matches at FTDNA. They are all free uploads. Ancestry is on sale for $59 for mother's day. That would leave 23 and me as the only database you're not in.

Ancestry, My Heritage and 23 and me do not allow LE access unless LE gets an order; they will fight them to keep our info safe and secure. I personally doubt any if them will allow LE access like FTDNA did because everyone watched the hysteria when FTDNA did it. They lost a lot of customers. Many people not only turned matching off, they deleted their DNA and profiles. FTDNA is the only company that does Y-DNA which is the Male line and mtDNA which is the female line. Both tests are about $200 each. Im sure LE were counting on those 2 databases that with the Male Y-DNA line could tell the criminals last name unless they were adopted. One of the founders of DNA Doe project does Y-DNA work for LE using her own company.

You never know if Judy had a baby she gave up for adoption after she left the family. It's also possible she was living with someone, had a baby they were raising then she passed away. It has happened in a few cases I follow. The child may do DNA to find family or try to learn their mothers ethnicity or will use 23 and me to get health info; so it's important to get DNA there too. The health one is on sale for mothers day for $169. The family finder one is $99.

LE are uploading to GEDmatch Genesis and FTDNA for various reasons, mostly to catch bad guys that have raped and or killed. There is an organization called DNA Doe Project that uploads to both, they take on John and Jane Doe cases and have given some their names back. Buckskin Girl and Lyle Stevik are 2 of their 1st cases that they solved. Theres another company doing the same thing.

Ancestry is focused on genealogy; you can do a family tree there; it's not required but I warn you, its addicting and very fun to do. They have an app. My Heritage is also focused on genealogy but has the best site for DNA features. They're the only ones that show matches that are in another country. If your family immigrated for Ireland or Scotland you may have matches still living there. They also show surnames and family trees of matches. They have an app. FTDNA is lacking and is antiquated IMO. There is no app, they do support family trees but only to attach your DNA sample to. There are no records to attach like Ancestry and my heritage. I'm not on 23 and me yet, they do have an app but I don't think they have family trees.

Sorry, I know I'm giving you way more info then you need; it's just easier to type it all out because I don't get here that often. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Link below is to a thread with directions to doing family trees and uploading to the free sites. Scroll down to where it says Now to the DNA

Family tree and DNA general instructions

Thinking about you today, Judy. Thinking about sitting in the station wagon while Mom and Dad said goodbye to you, bought the bus ticket. Thinking about the rest of that day, 34 years ago - heading to the Amtrak station with Brigid and Jonathan - thinking about Dad getting on the wrong train, in his mad dash to get Brigid on the train, getting on the wrong one. Thinking about sitting, waiting in the train station for hours, for him to return. Thinking about the long car ride home to Oswego ... dark, dank, foggy through the mountains. Thinking about you shivering somewhere. Oh how I wish I would see your face again. I'll never forget, and I'll never stop looking. Love you, sis.

I wanted to better understand the community Judy grew up in and chose to leave ... Oswego is approximately a nine hour drive, south of my community, so I made a virtual visit :) There are aspects I relate to as similar to my own - Oswego is the county seat, situated along a lakeshore, as well as the adolescent dream of going to the 'City'. Since the '80s, both communities have experienced a declining population, and there are families all but destroyed by clerical - primarily Catholic - abuse. Having satisfied a few curiosities, I've been focusing on the events of Nov 30/80. With the help of info shared in the above post…
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Judith and siblings Maureen and Brigid with son Jonathon, leave Ellicott City to drive to Baltimore, planning a first stop at the Bus Terminal and a second at the Train Station, before returning home to Oswego.
  • Bus Terminal: Judy's parents go into the bus terminal with Judy and it is noted by Maureen she remembers "sitting in the station wagon while Mom and Dad said goodbye" and "bought the bus ticket."
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen and Brigid with son Jonathon, drive to Baltimore Train Station
  • Train Station: it is noted by Maureen she remembers "Dad getting on the wrong train" and "sitting, waiting in the train station for hours, for him to return."
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen return to Oswego

Need to say something in Dutch...sorry..my mother tongue...and therefor so much more real. Lieve Judy, popje,....ik hoop dat je nog ergens bent, maak contact met je zus Maureen. Het wordt tijd....voor jullie allebei.

Dear Judy, sweetie, I really hope you are still out there somewhere, make contact with you sister Maureen. It's about time, for the both of you.

Last edited:
I wanted to better understand the community Judy grew up in and chose to leave ... Oswego is approximately a nine hour drive, south of my community, so I made a virtual visit :) There are aspects I relate to as similar to my own - Oswego is the county seat, situated along a lakeshore, as well as the adolescent dream of going to the 'City'. Since the '80s, both communities have experienced a declining population, and there are families all but destroyed by clerical - primarily Catholic - abuse. Having satisfied a few curiosities, I've been focusing on the events of Nov 30/80. With the help of info shared in the above post…
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Judith and siblings Maureen and Brigid with son Jonathon, leave Ellicott City to drive to Baltimore, planning a first stop at the Bus Terminal and a second at the Train Station, before returning home to Oswego.
  • Maureen adds: there is suspected priest involvement in Judy's case, the priest suspected was defrocked for getting girls drunk and taking advantage of them. When Judy made the cheerleading squad, that priest called my parents and demanded they come get Judy off the convent steps. Cue wtf.
  • Bus Terminal: Judy's parents go into the bus terminal with Judy and it is noted by Maureen she remembers "sitting in the station wagon while Mom and Dad said goodbye" and "bought the bus ticket."
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen and Brigid with son Jonathon, drive to Baltimore Train Station MAUREEN ADDS and brother Shawn.
  • Train Station: it is noted by Maureen she remembers "Dad getting on the wrong train" and "sitting, waiting in the train station for hours, for him to return." MAUREEN ADDS there was a train with a last call, dad hurries brigid and her son onto the train, they realized quickly their mistake, as did brother shawn, maureen, and mom, when the train for NYC departed a few minutes (15?) Later. We waited for all to return, from DC, then a train north to NYC. Because dad was helping brigid board the train when all of that happened.
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen & shawn return to Oswego

Last edited:
Other family members have claimed they saw her a couple of years later, in east Brunswick, nj. But they were hesitant to share the info.

Maureen, is there any link with Judy and east Brunswick as far as you know? Did your family members disclosed anything else...what did they see, in what state she was in? Do you know what made them not share this info? Did you ever had a chance to ask them? Or were they hesitant because they were not really sure it was Judy? Sorry, coming in your face like this.

A stupid question maybe...could she have be in commercial adds. I found this. There are some girls in advertising for French frites and a lunch food add....with another girl, reminding me of Judy. It's probably nothing......6:09 and 6:38

My dad's sister and family lived there. It was a cousin who claims to have seen her, driving through his neighborhood way too fast with not so savory characters. But always hush hush, never publicly. Maybe because she was strung out, maybe because she was with a John
Who knows?

Quoted post
  • ".......Bus Terminal: Judy's parents go into the bus terminal with Judy and it is noted by Maureen she remembers "sitting in the station wagon while Mom and Dad said goodbye" and "bought the bus ticket."
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen and Brigid with son Jonathon, drive to Baltimore Train Station MAUREEN ADDS and brother Shawn.
  • Train Station: it is noted by Maureen she remembers "Dad getting on the wrong train" and "sitting, waiting in the train station for hours, for him to return." MAUREEN ADDS there was a train with a last call, dad hurries brigid and her son onto the train, they realized quickly their mistake, as did brother shawn, maureen, and mom, when the train for NYC departed a few minutes (15?) Later. We waited for all to return, from DC, then a train north to NYC. Because dad was helping brigid board the train when all of that happened.
  • O'Donnell Family - Ray [Father] Marylou [Mother], Maureen & shawn return to Oswego"
I'm sorry this has always confused me. The family went for a drive to take Judy to the bus station in Baltimore right? Or to bus back to Baltimore? Then mom & dad come back to the family car (after getting judy safely boarded on a bus) and the family( Ray, Marilou, Maureen, Shawn Brigid and brigid's young son Jonathon?) all drive to a train station so everybody can board the train to NYC? Dad accidentally boarded the train to DC & Maureen remembers waiting in the station for a lengtht time for his return. Was Brigid with dad or was dad just going to train to NYC with Brigid to see her and the baby home safe to NYC & then train back to the Train station to meet the family? Im a bit confused, help me help myself lol blonde moment abounds lol
Edited for brevity & fixing the quoted post

We were in ellicott city, md, a suburb of Baltimore, for Thanksgiving. Brigid and Judy both lived in NYC. At the time we last saw Judy, the bus depot and train stations were about 20 minutes away from each other. The profile picture I use is a picture taken in my uncle's driveway in ellicott city. This is exactly what Judy looked like the last time I saw her.

We weren't sure Judy would come to Thanksgiving, it had been a brutal year (read beginning of thread?) She hitched down from nyc.

After the weekend closed, we were all getting everyone where they needed to be. My parents bought a bus ticket for Judy. Brigid had a r/t train ticket.

My mother, father, and brother and I then drove home to Oswego, ny.

Dad was frantic. Getting on the wrong train was because he was rushing, was really just trying to help his daughter and grandson.

Okay that clears things up a bit. Part of the trouble for me is the most public transportation I've used was a Greyhound twice & Metrorail in Miami. (I hear the meteorail in Miami is a terrible example of good public transportation compared with other cities) These forms of transportation are so crucial to Floridians in the area bc driving to work & finding parking is a nightmare IMO. (Or it was for me anyway) Just easier to take a train or a bus, found that to be true myself. I really want to trace Judy's bus route and I'm still stuck on the idea that past LE reports where available for Judy may hold the names of her friends/aquaintanced. Those ppl could know her aquaintances or a few details that could lead to something even if it's just another friend or a place judy mentioned. The problems being time, destruction of records and, memories fade

Okay that clears things up a bit. Part of the trouble for me is the most public transportation I've used was a Greyhound twice & Metrorail in Miami. (I hear the meteorail in Miami is a terrible example of good public transportation compared with other cities) These forms of transportation are so crucial to Floridians in the area bc driving to work & finding parking is a nightmare IMO. (Or it was for me anyway) Just easier to take a train or a bus, found that to be true myself. I really want to trace Judy's bus route and I'm still stuck on the idea that past LE reports where available for Judy may hold the names of her friends/aquaintanced. Those ppl could know her aquaintances or a few details that could lead to something even if it's just another friend or a place judy mentioned. The problems being time, destruction of records and, memories fade
The biggest impediment imo was shame at the beginning. She was couch surfing at best. Covenant House was also part of her reality. And, as much as things have changed, they've largely remained the same. Fresh faced coed ? National news. Girl who lives on the streets? Nothing. Angel Rivera is a name that will always stick.out

Your parents bought a bus ticket for Judy. Why not a train ticket. Why did Judy not travel with your sister by train, both heading for NYC.

Your parents bought a bus ticket for Judy. Why not a train ticket. Why did Judy not travel with your sister by train, both heading for NYC.
Thanksgiving weekend. Train was sold out. Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the heaviest travel days in the us. Consistently. Judy was a crap shoot, my parents didn't know she was coming to Thanksgiving. My oldest brother wasn't there. It was the last time the whole family got together for anything. We've since been together piecemeal for weddings, funerals, graduations, but never everyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back