OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janine Emily Smith
Criminal Defense Attorney | Pittsburgh, PA

Status Hearing:
A status hearing can have many purposes in a criminal matter. It may be to determine if a plea agreement has been reached, to see if discovery matters are progressing, be related to a pending motion, be the result of other pending criminal matters that must proceed first, be caused by the unavailability of an involved person due to medical issues or incarceration in another jurisdiction, or any number of other things.

What takes place would depend on the reason for the status hearing. If you are involved in a criminal matter with a pending status hearing, speak with your attorney (if you are the defendant) or talk to the prosecutor (if you are the victim or a prosecution witness) to determine what the purpose of this specific status hearing is.

Thanks for the info Cool Cats.

He may need the documents to prove he has legal custody for medical care, and school

If he was on her birth certificate they wouldn’t need custody But they may not have known that. Maybe I’m giving them too much credit in the common sense department

Am I reading the end of this thread correctly? Is HR being blamed for her death because she was with two other men? It's questioning her right to say yes in the very least. She is one of 8 victims. I don't care if she was with 100 men it's sure no reason to kill her.

As for food stamps and such, you think it's enough to kill a whole family over? for anyone to say it was enough to slaughter 8 people over has never been poor and had to use these resources. I'm beyond shocked at the classism and what I see as victim shaming.

One day HR's children will want to find out what happened and this is what they are going to find.
There is some antiquated thinking on this board. This is 2019 not the 1950's. A woman has every right to choose who and how many she wants to have sexual relations with. If she wants to have sex with one man or a thousand men it is no one's business but her own.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion is she was a man. I notice no one has speculated about how many women Jake has had sex with. Heck he could have had them lined up outside his bedroom door for all we know.

There is no shame in getting public assistance in the form of food benefits. The shame would be in letting yourself or your children starve because you don't sign up for them. That is why I pay my taxes every year, so people can get food benefits to keep from going hungry. I don't care if it is a child or an adult, no one should go hungry in this country. So please leave off the food stamp issue.

JMO

I guess I am a little confused as I thought they would just be adding SW (I believe those are the initials used for HR oldest child) into their assistance. Which would mean, SSI, FS, possibly cash assistance, possibly child care and a credit on their taxes of around 2500-3500.

So, let's say 20k a year.

The sentiment behind my statement was how could that be worth killing anyone over? No amount of money from the government (because it's not guaranteed and fluctuates based on cost of living and change of threshold) could every seem like cause.

And, I agree, to normal people no. But, to the perpetrators, it might because obviously, something is wrong with who ever could do this.

Agree. To normal people, no. I'd add in Medicaid for the adults and CHIP for the children. I'm 100% supportive of entitlement programs for children, and for adults who can't help their circumstances. I agree with Raisin that no one should go hungry in this country. My thoughts are but for the grace of G*d, go I.

JW is an able-bodied young man who is a trained mechanic. He shared a rig with his brother and they drove over the road. They apparently made enough to qualify for a mortgage when they purchased the Peterson Rd. house.

In 2015, JW voluntarily made himself unemployed. He said HR complained he was gone too much. I don't buy that at all. HR was raised by hard-working parents.

Around July 1, 2014, the Wags began to spy on HR and her family. All four W's were indicted for this. JMO, that may have pretty much been their full-time jobs.

Dewine stated they were obsessed with custody and control of children. JMO, there's an off-the-charts, exaggerated sense of entitlement going on to murder eight completely innocent people in order to get what you want. I'll throw in that it also takes a lack of empathy, conscience, and remorse to be able to do that.

JMO

Last edited:
Agree. To normal people, no. I'd add in Medicaid for the adults and CHIP for the children. I'm 100% supportive of entitlement program for children, and for adults who can't help their circumstances.

JW is an able-bodied young man who is a trained mechanic. He shared a rig with his brother and they drove over the road. They apparently made enough to qualify for a mortgage when they purchased the Peterson Rd. house.

In 2015, JW voluntarily made himself unemployed. He said HR complained he was gone too much. I don't buy that at all. HR was raised by hard-working parents.

Around July 1, 2014, the Wags began to spy on HR and her family. All four W's were indicted for this. JMO, that may have pretty much been their full-time jobs.

Dewine stated they were obsessed with custody and control of children. JMO, there's an off-the-charts, exaggerated sense of entitlement going on to murder eight completely innocent people in order to get what you want. I'll throw in that it also takes a lack of empathy, conscience, and remorse to be able to do that.

JMO

I didn't add any medical assistance because they wouldn't profiit from those. The government assistance pays the Dr not the parent or guardian for that. (Definitely not trying to be condescending. Just giving my reason as to why I didn't include that)
But, yes, they would get those.

As far as "control of the children"... I get it. I have close family that live VERY similarly to the Wags. I think it's why I am so drawn to this case. It's a scary, socially crippling reality for the kids in that family.

I finally found a podcast to help me sort all the info in the threads here to give me more insight into this tragedy.

I'll be back after I listen to it.

Again, thank you to all who have given me info when I have been lost and confused.

Last edited:
I guess I am a little confused as I thought they would just be adding SW (I believe those are the initials used for HR oldest child) into their assistance. Which would mean, SSI, FS, possibly cash assistance, possibly child care and a credit on their taxes of around 2500-3500.

So, let's say 20k a year.

The sentiment behind my statement was how could that be worth killing anyone over? No amount of money from the government (because it's not guaranteed and fluctuates based on cost of living and change of threshold) could every seem like cause.

And, I agree, to normal people no. But, to the perpetrators, it might because obviously, something is wrong with who ever could do this.

I can add a little to this conversation. The child tax credit (CTC) is 2000.00 per child. That does not mean you automatically get that 2000 back as a refundable credit. The CTC goes toward any tax liability first. So if you have a 3000.00 tax liability the entire amount would go to reduce your tax liability and you would not get any back as a refundable credit. If your tax liability is only 1000.00 then 1000.00 would go toward your tax liability and depending on your taxable income you might get some back as a refundable credit. I went ahead and did a few tax returns at different income levels to help you all understand the way the CTC and EIC credit work on a pro rated basis. These returns I did is assuming no Federal With Holdings.

Taxpayer: Jake W
Filing status: Head Of household
Dependent: 1 born 2013

Wages: 10000.00 20000.00 40000.00 60000.00

AGI: 10000.00 20000.00 40000.00 60000.00

Standard deduction: 18000.00 18000.00 18000.00 18000.00

Taxable income: 0 2000.00 22000.00 42000.00

Tax liability: 0 201.00 2371.00 4771.00

Child Tax Credit: 0 201.00 2000.00 2000.00

Earned Income Credit: 3409.00 3243.00 47.00 0

Refundable credit form 8812: 1125.00 1400.00 0 0

Refund: 4534.00 4643.00 0 0

Owes: 0 0 324.00 2771.00

It doesn't want to let me separate the numbers but the gist is

At 10000.00 in wages you get a refund of 4534.00 consisting of EIC 3409.00 and refundable 8812 credit 1125.00.
At 20000.00 You get a refund of 4643.00 consisting of EIC 3243.00 and refundable 8812 of 1400.00.
At 40000.00 you owe 324.00 and get a CTC of 2000.00, refundable 8812, 00.00 and EIC of 47.00.
At 60000.00 you owe 2771.00 and get a CTC of 2000.00, refundable 8812, 00.00 and EIC 00.00.

This is probably clear as mud but hope it helps.

JMO

Last edited:
I didn't add any medical assistance because they wouldn't profiit from those. The government assistance pays the Dr not the parent or guardian for that. (Definitely not trying to be condescending. Just giving my reason as to by I didn't include that)
But, yes, they would get those.

As far as "control of the children"... I get it. I have close family that live VERY similarly to the Wags. I think it's why I am so drawn to this case. It's a scary, socially crippling reality for the kids in that family.

I finally found a podcast to help me sort all the info in the threads here to give me more insight into this tragedy.

I'll be back after I listen to it.

Again, thank you to all who given me info when I have been lost and confused.

I understand what you are saying, and the reason I added in medical benefits is because at that time, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) required people to carry health insurance.

If you didn't carry health insurance, there was a penalty that had to be paid when you filed your taxes.

Last edited:
I bet I don’t live that way!
I had some clients that worked their whole lives and had close to 2 million in 401 K plans plus social security when they retired at 62 years of age. The wife had to have a heart transplant and they were too young for medicare. So they drew every penny out of the 401k's and are still paying medical bills. When they came in this year they were living on social security and getting food benefits and Medicaid.

We never know what the future holds. Sigh...

I think Jake loves SW more than anything else.

I think that love began the moment she was born.

And I do not think that love for her would end if he found out after he split from her mother when she was 3 years old that she was not his bio child. I think he would still love her more than anything and do anything he could to keep her in his life.

Ditto for Angie.

JMO
If JW is guilty of murdering her mother, grandparents, uncles and soon to be aunt, there's no true love there, just a self serving and controlling phobia that others meant more to her than he does. AJMO

If JW is guilty of murdering her mother, grandparents, uncles and soon to be aunt, there's no true love there, just a self serving and controlling phobia that others meant more to her than he does. AJMO
Yes, unfortunately this reminds me of an "honor killing' we had up here in Canada a few years back. Shafia family murders. The father, mother and brother killed 4 other female family members, due to archaic religious beliefs. They are all in prison now. The murdered women had become too westernized and had to be removed from the family. This was also meticulously planned, but mistakes were made. In that case too it seems crazy that they thought they would ever in a million years get away with 4 murders.

Yes, unfortunately this reminds me of an "honor killing' we had up here in Canada a few years back. Shafia family murders. The father, mother and brother killed 4 other female family members, due to archaic religious beliefs. They are all in prison now. The murdered women had become too westernized and had to be removed from the family. This was also meticulously planned, but mistakes were made. In that case too it seems crazy that they thought they would ever in a million years get away with 4 murders.
Just horrible! I don't understand the souls that do such evil. I just know love doesn't factor in, it can't. IMO

There is some antiquated thinking on this board. This is 2019 not the 1950's. A woman has every right to choose who and how many she wants to have sexual relations with. If she wants to have sex with one man or a thousand men it is no one's business but her own.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion is she was a man. I notice no one has speculated about how many women Jake has had sex with. Heck he could have had them lined up outside his bedroom door for all we know.

There is no shame in getting public assistance in the form of food benefits. The shame would be in letting yourself or your children starve because you don't sign up for them. That is why I pay my taxes every year, so people can get food benefits to keep from going hungry. I don't care if it is a child or an adult, no one should go hungry in this country. So please leave off the food stamp issue.

JMO
I need a love button for this post. :D and the one above. Thank you.

Did HR and JW live in FR's trailer when they were living between between the 2 mothers houses?

Wouldn't he have had a key to whatever trailer that he lived in half of the time? Maybe CR asked him to feed the dogs one time and gave him the key that he kept outside so the W's could have had 2 keys. moo.

Agree. To normal people, no. I'd add in Medicaid for the adults and CHIP for the children. I'm 100% supportive of entitlement programs for children, and for adults who can't help their circumstances. I agree with Raisin that no one should go hungry in this country. My thoughts are but for the grace of G*d, go I.

JMO

BBM

Same.

I don't think he quit that job until after the murders. He then changed jobs to be closer to S.
This is Wagner's new reality: Full-time, single dad with mounting legal bills with a new job that pays half what he was making to ensure he is close to Sophia. But close still means the 23-year-old makes a daily commute from Peebles to Cincinnati, a 2 1/2-hour daily drive.
Rhoden case: 'Hate seeing my daughter cry'

Yes. At the end of the day, that's what it boils down to. Most people go through the legal system, whether they want to do so, or not (entitled or not).

Sorry about the confusion with the kids. I haven't learned all the initials yet. I just always assumed the baby wasn't his. But, the toddler was his.
I think when Inread DNA, I automatically attributed it to the oldest child because in my mind, the youngest was absolutely not him.

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate that.

I think maybe FW kept a tight leash on the entire family. And, that she did view the the children and grandchildren as property.
Although I am nearly certain that my own theory of FW being deeply involved with this beyond the docs will never be proven. I will never think that these 4 could have planned this without the help of someone a little smarter than them.

I agree. I do not think the W4 would have committed these murders without FWs blessing.

Last edited:
What's the significance of the status hearing? Is that to determine if he's mentally competent to stand trial?
I'm reading that a status conference is to find out if the defendant is actually ready for trial and a status hearing is updating the court how things are going with discovery, plea bargaining. It also mentions setting a date for trial so I don't really see the difference and think both those titles might be a bit interchangeable.

BBM

Same.

I don't think he quit that job until after the murders. He then changed jobs to be closer to S.

Rhoden case: 'Hate seeing my daughter cry'

Yes. At the end of the day, that's what it boils down to. Most people go through the legal system, whether they want to do so, or not (entitled or not).

I will try to find what it was that I read that he stopped driving over the road in 2015, to try to appease HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member