Cleaning volunteers find four bodies on Mount Everest

worldwatcher

Reaction score
Cleaning volunteers find four bodies on Mount Everest
opruimende-vrijwilligers-vinden-vier-lichamen-op-mount-everest.jpg

Fourteen volunteers currently cleaning up waste on Mount Everest encountered four bodies during their work. The climbers want to clean up 10,000 kilos of waste in 45 days, after two weeks the counter is at over 3,000 kilos.

Former chairman Ang Tshering Sherpa of the Nepalese mountaineering association NMA is not surprised that the group encountered bodies. According to her, global warming is causing more and more bodies to appear now that the snow is melting.

The highest mountain in the world is littered with cans, bottles, plastic and more, left behind by climbers trying to reach the 8,848 meter high summit. Since 1922, when the first victims were registered, more than two hundred climbers have died.

The volunteers receive help from a military helicopter to bring the waste down. The team reached the Nepalese base camp on Sunday, located at an altitude of 5.3 kilometers, but is also continuing the clean-up operation at higher altitudes.

Since 2011, the Nepalese government has been trying to reduce the amount of waste on the mountain, but the increasing flow of climbers makes achieving that goal difficult. From 2014 climbers have to pay a deposit, which they get back when they descend with at least 8 kilos of waste.

Opruimende vrijwilligers vinden vier lichamen op Mount Everest | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

So true. People think that because they hike a bit, they can do Everest, usually narcissistic men who have more money than sense. And they exploit Sherpas to carry their equipment.

People who die on Everest are a reminder that money really is meaningless.

I read about a young woman, who died on Everest, she was with her husband, he wanted to "prove" that vegans could conquer Everest. Maybe they can recover her body for her parents, her husband left her there.

Last edited:
I read years ago that the amount of human waste at higher levels is nearly nil because there is nothing wasted by the body. Actually the body begins to eat itself in a way....so I would think the poop amount at lower elevations is the issue, not up past Camp 2 or 3. Nobody is going to drop trou in minus degrees with the wind speed and snow past Camp 3.

One body on a ridge, wearing green boots, had been used as a landmark on the northeast route. “Green Boots” has been a landmark for more than 20 years.
I read many Everest blogs and can’t find it now but I remember reading something after last season that he was no longer there. The author wasn’t sure if he had finally been blown off the side by high winds or been buried by more snow than is normally there during the climbing season.

I read many Everest blogs and can’t find it now but I remember reading something after last season that he was no longer there. The author wasn’t sure if he had finally been blown off the side by high winds or been buried by more snow than is normally there during the climbing season.
This is an interesting (and sad) article about the man that became known as Green Boots.
The tragic tale of Mt Everest’s most famous dead body

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆