IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *ARRESTS* *mother guilty* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's his defense. But, if he was working and living a seemingly normal life, I don't think he can claim he was psychologically incompetent when he didn't call 911 and he buried his child. Maybe now he is incompetent because of being locked up in a new home with other criminals and left with the guilt of what he had seen and done to his own son.

JC's incompetent claim is soon to follow.

Odd that he would claim incompetence when the weekend before AJ was murdered (just 3+weeks ago), Freund and AJ took the train to his office. He worked for the day, clocking in and clocking out. He was able to create a plan so no coworkers would see his son. He was competent enough to know that AJ had to leave through a back door in order to keep the secret that his son was at work.

He knew enough that he had to hid his muddy boots in a bag. He knew enough to create an alibi for the morning that AJ was reported missing-- he got receipts, etc.

I think he was competent.

Well we knew competency would be an issue. I think for both. Drew was ordered to have exam previously, so he has a background to fall back on. Moo
Exactly!! Was he incompetent when he went to the doctor on the morning they reported AJ missing? Was he incompetent when he asked for a receipt just in case? I can't speak for the night AJ died as he may have been under the influence and made some really poor decisions. But, he was competent enough to go to work that week, right? I have my phone out and am calling B.S. on this guy.
Have they specifically said competency eval? Competency evaluations only are to access the defendant's competency to participate in the case. I used to work with them in the court system by meeting with the defendant, scheduling the exam, get updates from the facility director, obtaining results and deliver the findings to the Judge. The are usually conducted by a state facility (they can be horrible). If someone is found to be incompetent they are held and treated until they become competent and can return to the jail and participate in the case. It's very different from an insanity plea which is very hard to prove. IMO and solely based on experience AF did not show signs of incompetency at all. Although detoxing, facing reality, and his current circumstance he may need psychiatric treatment and medication especially if he has had previous diagnosis's. AF should have knowledge of the competency process and what it means. I can't help but think if this is a competency eval he would have to be incompetent to go along with it because it doesn't get you your case dismissed (unless he is in a serious mental downhill spiral that can't be treated in 6 months) and the environment can be 100 times worse then the jail OR prison. I wouldn't want to go there to save my life! That's the place where you can be forced to take medication if you aren't compliant, be restrained, not to mention the other patients). My mother worked at one and had to quit because it was terrifying.

Yes!!! @BlinkOfAnI I read that one. It's very interesting. I think it shows the high percentage of children under the age of 1 being killed. I think it was around 40 to 50% of the deaths. But don't quote me. I'll look at it again.
Here is the PDF with charts and break downs if it helps.

Have they specifically said competency eval? Competency evaluations only are to access the defendant's competency to participate in the case. I used to work with them in the court system by meeting with the defendant, scheduling the exam, get updates from the facility director, obtaining results and deliver the findings to the Judge. The are usually conducted by a state facility (they can be horrible). If someone is found to be incompetent they are held and treated until they become competent and can return to the jail and participate in the case. It's very different from an insanity plea which is very hard to prove. IMO and solely based on experience AF did not show signs of incompetency at all. Although detoxing, facing reality, and his current circumstance he may need psychiatric treatment and medication especially if he has had previous diagnosis's. AF should have knowledge of the competency process and what it means. I can't help but think if this is a competency eval he would have to be incompetent to go along with it because it doesn't get you your case dismissed (unless he is in a serious mental downhill spiral that can't be treated in 6 months) and the environment can be 100 times worse then the jail OR prison. I wouldn't want to go there to save my life! That's the place where you can be forced to take medication if you aren't compliant, be restrained, not to mention the other patients). My mother worked at one and had to quit because it was terrifying.

The link is above, that’s all I know.
Years ago, he had a court ordered neuropsychological exam.

I haven’t been on in awhile due to the nature of this case... and how awfully sad it is... I cry nearly every time I read something new or see a new picture of Andrew!

If Anyone wants to give me a quick overview of what’s been going on in the last week, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Odd that he would claim incompetence when the weekend before AJ was murdered (just 3+weeks ago), Freund and AJ took the train to his office. He worked for the day, clocking in and clocking out. He was able to create a plan so no coworkers would see his son. He was competent enough to know that AJ had to leave through a back door in order to keep the secret that his son was at work.

He knew enough that he had to hid his muddy boots in a bag. He knew enough to create an alibi for the morning that AJ was reported missing-- he got receipts, etc.

He prob’ instructed his atty to order one. Moo
He has no other shot at a defense, thankfully. How “smart” is he? Is he capable of manipulating test results?

I haven’t been on in awhile due to the nature of this case... and how awfully sad it is... I cry nearly every time I read something new or see a new picture of Andrew!

If Anyone wants to give me a quick overview of what’s been going on in the last week, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Go to pagee one, there’s a timeline, that will bring you up to date.

Last edited:
Odd that he would claim incompetence when the weekend before AJ was murdered, Freund and AJ took the train to his office. He worked for the day, clocking in and clocking out. He was able to create a plan so no coworkers would see his son. He was competent enough to know that AJ had to leave through a back door in order to keep the secret that his son was at work.

True! True! True! He was competent enough to commit the crime(s) and he's competent enough for the trial as far as I'm concerned. His games are just starting. He knows what he is doing and he is being very calculated. He is going to do anything he can to lessen his sentence and drag this whole thing out. IMO.

I did see in the public case access that yesterday there was a motion for a subpoena-protective ord. I don't know what that was for or what it means. Anyone know?

@BlinkOfAnI I took the wording to mean competency eval. The psych eval, as reported by the reporter, was to see if AF could stand trial. The reporter does go on to state that the lawyer ""has concerns about the defendant's current psychological ability to recall an assist in his defense."" They keyword is current. Maybe AF had a breakdown of sorts and is showing signs that he can't deal with everything right now. But, it could be a ploy to buy them more time to create a good defense. He is convicted of a class X felony so the defense is really going to have to work hard. This may be part of their working hard to create a good defense.

ETA: IMO

@BlinkOfAnI I took the wording to mean competency eval. The psych eval, as reported by the reporter, was to see if AF could stand trial. The reporter does go on to state that the lawyer ""has concerns about the defendant's current psychological ability to recall an assist in his defense."" They keyword is current. Maybe AF had a breakdown of sorts and is showing signs that he can't deal with everything right now. But, it could be a ploy to buy them more time to create a good defense. He is convicted of a class X felony so the defense is really going to have to work hard. This may be part of their working hard to create a good defense.

ETA: IMO
Poor guy is having a breakdown and can’t deal after murdering his son and burying him and making pleas to little AJ to come home knowing damn well where he was and what happened... It pisses me off they even question if these awful people can stand trial!!!! Like your son couldn’t handle the abuse, that’s why he is dead!

TY. I see Chicago Tribune used the words mental health evaluation. Can't find online records for the court.

Will we never see either of the murdering duo, during court appearances?

McHenry County doesn't allow cameras in the courtrooms. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have to change venues for trial. Crystal Lake is outraged and heartbroken.

I mean, they can't do the whole trial in the judge's chambers.

McHenry County doesn't allow cameras in the courtrooms. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have to change venues for trial. Crystal Lake is outraged and heartbroken.

I mean, they can't do the whole trial in the judge's chambers.

Do they ever make exceptions?
The nation is outraged. If you look at another similar case, linked previously, they were given leniency in exchange for guilty pleas. I hope these two just go straight to prison, w/ontrials. There’s no point, imo. But in their minds, they might think they’re innocent & AJ deserved to be punished. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken