GUILTY CO - 1 dead, 8 injured, shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

This may be premature but the new Run, Hide, Fight doctrine might have worked in this case.

This is like the ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) training that I did. It has been proven to be effective if there is training in a community. Brave student(s) who went after them. The loss of life is probably less because of their actions.

Last edited:
Tony Kovaleski‏Verified account @TonyKovaleski
BREAKING- Multiple ranking sources and a search warrant have sadly confirmed one student has died #STEMshooting Gunmen had a hand gun. @DenverChannel

7:22 PM - 7 May 2019

Damn. I was so hoping that the students would all recover, especially after the mid-afternoon reports.

The news reported a parent who knew their child was shot and not critical but stayed to pick up their younger child. I hope this was not the student who died.

This is like the ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) training that I did. It has been proven to be effective if there is training in a community. Brave student(s) who went after them. The loss of life is probably less because of their actions.
Damn. I was so hoping that the students would all recover, especially after the mid-afternoon reports.

The news reported a parent who knew their child was shot and not critical but stayed to pick up their younger child. I hope this was not the student who died.
I live in CO and was a teacher before and after Columbine. Believe me, teachers and kids are trained very well...unfortunately

I live in CO and was a teacher before and after Columbine. Believe me, teachers and kids are trained very well...unfortunately

I get it. I am in the schools of NYC and have experienced the training there and in the previous towns and cities where I work.

I will never forget the day of the Columbine shooting. I was on spring break with two educator friends of mine. We were devastated for those at the building and their families but also knew school life was changed forever that day.

Agreed, children and teens should never have unsupervised access to guns. We had a huge gun safe, guns were always locked up.

I am not of fan of demonizing the parents unless there is proof that they acted irresponsibly. This young man is 18 and can buy guns in the state. He has only ever had a careless driving ticket so there would be no reason that he would fail a background check.

I can only imagine the horror that his parents are experiencing tonight. If they did something wrong, I will be the first to want/wish/hope/advocate for them being held to account.

In Colorado-
To buy a handgun, you must:

It just doesn't end. My daughter started kindergarten last August and I say a prayer every morning when I drop her off at school. ):

^moo^
I know exactly what you mean. I think about the chance of my kids not coming home almost every day. And because my partner and I work in two different schools, my kids think about something happening to one of us as well.

Last edited:
Forgot to add the first quote:

Parents need to be put in jail along with their kids who do these shootings.

I am not of fan of demonizing the parents unless there is proof that they acted irresponsibly. This young man is 18 and can buy guns in the state. He has only ever had a careless driving ticket so there would be no reason that he would fail a background check.

I can only imagine the horror that his parents are experiencing tonight. If they did something wrong, I will be the first to want/wish/hope/advocate for them being held to account.

In Colorado-

A school shooting not far from Columbine High School left one student dead and eight others injured on Tuesday, authorities said.

Two suspects were apprehended after the shooting at the STEM School Highlands Ranch, which covers K-12, Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock said. About 1,850 students attend the school, according to its website.

Spurlock said earlier that one suspect is an adult male and one is believed to be a juvenile.

He identified one of the suspects as Devon Erickson. Erickson, 18, is the adult suspect, the Douglas Colorado Sheriff's office said on Twitter. The department also said it will not release photos at this time to maintain the integrity of the investigation.

Colorado shooting: One student killed, 8 others injured - CNN

They need to come up with a better lock to keep teens & mentally ill away from them...or quit sealing/expunging records of dangerous juveniles and allowing them as adults to buy guns. That's an area I feel needs looked at. jmo I'm not for eliminating guns btw just wanting more transparency between the Federal Government and state/local police, reporting agencies etc..Gun ownership & DNA especially between military and state/local police. off my soap box now...

It's one thing to lock guns from children, but these kids were teens and, most likely, figured out a way to get weapons. You just can't police teens all the time.

They need to come up with a better lock to keep teens & mentally ill away from them...or quit sealing/expunging records of dangerous juveniles and allowing them as adults to buy guns. That's an area I feel needs looked at. jmo I'm not for eliminating guns btw just wanting more transparency between the Federal Government and state/local police, reporting agencies etc..DNA especially between military and state/local police. off my soap box now...

The named young man is 18 and legal to buy guns in CO. We have no idea if either or both have history of mental illness but so far there is no indication.

In Colorado-

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes