GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you read the article I posted above... It was written by Christian Boone, who has followed the Dermond case from the beginning.

"While Sills has no suspects in the Dermonds case, he has collected some physical evidence that could eventually confirm the killers’ identity. Because it might compromise the investigation, the AJC is not disclosing the information shared by the sheriff."

Why do you think SS disclosed the info to the AJC/Christian Boone?

JMO and wondering...

So if you read the article I posted above... It was written by Christian Boone, who has followed the Dermond case from the beginning.

"While Sills has no suspects in the Dermonds case, he has collected some physical evidence that could eventually confirm the killers’ identity. Because it might compromise the investigation, the AJC is not disclosing the information shared by the sheriff."

JMO and wondering...

To me, there is no rhyme or reason as to the information released by SS. It is the five year anniversary, so he felt the need to speak with the media.

HAHA I just read that and was about to ask the same thing! I'd be afraid if I was Boone, if he has information

YES< WHY disclose to AJC? Why would he even share it and ask them not to tell.......so you know that info will get out to someone eventually

Maybe so he'd know/think he wasn't making stuff up? IDK......I wonder why

Also......this.......if the Dermond's had no enemies, who is the ONE person they may have known that showed up with the killers? THe why is very important IMO, if you can understand why you know which direction to go.

Article: "Sills also believes the Dermonds knew at least one of their killers, as there were no signs of a struggle."

JMO and wondering...

I think one of two things happened, it's the only way I can come up with for the two different ways the bodies were disposed of. The perpetrators determined their DNA could be linked to both victims due to something that happened during the crime. Then they either:
1) Tried to move both bodies to water to hide evidence, but didn't realize how hard it was to move a dead body. So they took her and beheaded him.
2) They tried to behead both bodies but didn't realize how much work and how messy it was. So they disposed of her in another way.
I don't think they planned to have to have to behead or sink either one, but something went wrong and they felt evidence would point back to them. I do suspect they went there with the intention to murder, but there's always a really off chance they intended to rob an empty house and entered the wrong one from the lake and ended up murdering the D's and making a panicked exit without taking anything.

You know, between this post and the reminder that Shirley was just as brutally killed, bludgeoned and her skull beaten in, this shifts some of my theories in this case. I am definitely going with 1) for a few reasons and this also makes me think that there possibly only was one killer, not two. And that that killer may have been of small stature or not strong. I never thought it was a woman due to the brutal nature of the crime, but one could be involved.

1. The difference in size between SD and RD must have been significant. Shirley, as many elderly women are, was probably small and light, maybe 100 pounds? Compared to RD, who looked average size right? So I do think maybe the original plan was to take them both by boat to hide evidence of the murder weapon, but they couldn't lift Russ. That does raise the question of where Shirley was killed - on the boat? I would think that it would be difficult to keep one's balance and swing a hammer or something with enough force to kill someone. We've come up with lots of complicated theories but maybe it's as simple as RD just being too heavy.

2. What do you guys believe was the order of the deaths and removal of SD and RD's head from the scene? IF Shirley wasn't killed in the house, was she taken to the boat alive? Did the killer(s) make more than one trip? If not, where was she when RD was killed, when he was beheaded? The details of how this all went down are baffling to me - especially since it was daylight!!!

Can't believe it's been 5 years!

You know, between this post and the reminder that Shirley was just as brutally killed, bludgeoned and her skull beaten in, this shifts some of my theories in this case. I am definitely going with 1) for a few reasons and this also makes me think that there possibly only was one killer, not two. And that that killer may have been of small stature or not strong. I never thought it was a woman due to the brutal nature of the crime, but one could be involved.

1. The difference in size between SD and RD must have been significant. Shirley, as many elderly women are, was probably small and light, maybe 100 pounds? Compared to RD, who looked average size right? So I do think maybe the original plan was to take them both by boat to hide evidence of the murder weapon, but they couldn't lift Russ. That does raise the question of where Shirley was killed - on the boat? I would think that it would be difficult to keep one's balance and swing a hammer or something with enough force to kill someone. We've come up with lots of complicated theories but maybe it's as simple as RD just being too heavy.

2. What do you guys believe was the order of the deaths and removal of SD and RD's head from the scene? IF Shirley wasn't killed in the house, was she taken to the boat alive? Did the killer(s) make more than one trip? If not, where was she when RD was killed, when he was beheaded? The details of how this all went down are baffling to me - especially since it was daylight!!!

My theory on the order of deaths is Shirley first, based on the wound on RD’s hand. It was lacerated, and he had SD’s hair on/in his hand. consistent with perhaps trying to protect her head from an imminent blow. If it was a hammer used on SD (as theorized by SS) then RD might have reached out in a desperate attempt to stop the blow, getting his hand between the hammer and her head. Which, IF true, would indicate that the perp(s) perhaps wanted RD to witness his wife being bludgeoned. Of course, like everything else in this case, leads to the same question: Why???

HAHA I just read that and was about to ask the same thing! I'd be afraid if I was Boone, if he has information

YES< WHY disclose to AJC? Why would he even share it and ask them not to tell.......so you know that info will get out to someone eventually

Maybe so he'd know/think he wasn't making stuff up? IDK......I wonder why

Also......this.......if the Dermond's had no enemies, who is the ONE person they may have known that showed up with the killers? THe why is very important IMO, if you can understand why you know which direction to go.

Article: "Sills also believes the Dermonds knew at least one of their killers, as there were no signs of a struggle."

Do you think SS gave Boone the info to draw the killer(s) out? I wouldn't want to have that info if everyone reading the AJC now knows Boone/AJC have unreleased info. I'd be looking over my shoulder.

JMO

I think someone was holding Shirley back and someone was holding RD back when he grabbed for her and only got handfuls of hair

I would really like to see a few reenactments, without the gory details I mean...., just referring to how it got started and up to him grabbing for her ...... its hard to imagine in my head the whole scenario.

I dont remember RD weight be he got husky from looking at pics

SD autopsy may have stated 160 but that's with bloat after death, I think articles when looking for her initially may have said around 149 ish?

I agree though, could be a simple reason for not hauling him off

I also have read how easy GSR is moved around, it was so very little on his collar, he could have been also simply HIT in the back of the head or neck causing GSR to fall on him from the gun too, Philip Hollaway mentioned to me that becuase there is GSR on him, due to be so little also, it doesnt mean he was shot

We dont know she was hauled away in daylight, the goings on in the house could have been daylight though or early morning or late evening also, so long til discovered I dont know if there was any way to know plus the garage was climate controlled so he didnt have speedy decay due to the temps which were only in the 70's someone pointed out to me

Lots of scenarios you can search out on here about how people think it played out, I think they took her out when he was trying to save her, then simultaneously he was bludgeoned, then beheaded........ I dont think he was be an easy carry either.... so they grabbed her and couldnt take him, took their DNA with his head or bullet and left, carried her down to shore somewhere from neighbors to the deepest part of cove past their dock, at night

Clearly it seems someone picked them up though, so maybe three individuals, I dont see a boat parked there all day or a car in the drive all day.......I dont think they did it all at dawn or all at dusk saturday

BUt remembering, their stomachs were empty, it takes 6-8 hours to digest food completely, so from Fri nights worked puzzles that arrived with saturdays paper on friday to dinner at 5-7,probalby all in the same time frame, puzzle after dinner......digest food 6 hours later minimum.....11pm earliest if they at at 5 pm

but SD was in day clothes so a 9 pm arrival at dark might work if they ate at 3 pm, died at 10pmish.....RD still could have been in his robe and she in her day clothes

Other scenario is if SD rose at 5pm, maybe coffee started but I dont know how that works on stomach contents or if she could have partaken, clearly no breakfast was eaten....that's dark at 5 but sunrise is 6ish am

Someone could have just dropped them off or they parked boat at the Maples home someone suggested, who was allegedly in Turkey but the perps would have had to know this if neighbor wasnt somehow involved

The man on the lawn, which I dont 100% believe due to WHAT neighbors description or lack of description and she was in Asia, the other ones are across the cove, it was said by SS he was seen THROUGH the trees they couldnt tell race or clothing or hair color, YET IT WAS a MAN.........not sure how they can know this

SO, someone had to have dropped them off, if the man on the lawn was indeed there, he was problaby waiting for the boat pickup but they aint hauling a body broad daylight either so there goes any other lawn man beliefs for me LOL

Unless the man on the lawn was family member that couldnt watch the whole garage scene in action

I'm going with someone dropped them off and picked them up

You dont want a car in the driveway of the home to be detected by anyone but stick a tag on there from another vehicle not registered in your name, drop off at dark, before the mailman, perps stay in garage before derby party in case anyone comes by to pick them up or check on them (if they know of derby party) then driver return at night to pick them up and SD.....

boat in cove would be best arriving at a dark hour and coming back at a dark hour

Coves are so dark, as long as no one is sitting on the dock, that's easy

hmm, maybe that one

sorry SO LONG! my mind kept rambling

Do you think SS gave Boone the info to draw the killer(s) out? I wouldn't want to have that info if everyone reading the AJC now knows Boone/AJC have unreleased info. I'd be looking over my shoulder.

JMO
If he did that to draw the killer out that means he's gonna go after Boone...I dont think they'll make a phone call to him to inquire LOL...
.Seems SS is putting Boone AND the neighbor eyewitness of man on the lawn in danger!!! They better all be looking over their shoulder, neither was wise IMO.... Even if there is no man on the lawn, perps could have believed someone saw them

I dont know WHY he would blab to a reporter and expect him to keep it a secret either , WHAT TRUST, yeah WHY tell, unless you just want to get it off your chest.......I"ll definitley be wondering about this one

Last edited:
WOW, did they run enough tests on the GSR found on RD to determine it's source? Dont even really need a bullet to ID the type of weapon.......am I reading this right?

SO unless there was so very little GSR on RD that they couldnt tell, then in that case, if he was even shot or shot at, it would have been more than 5 ft away

GSR like powder can be transferred from one person (who actually handles a fired weapon) or thing to another, so there's that too

Gunshot residue - Wikipedia

Matching gunshot residue to a specific source[edit]

If the ammunition used was specifically tagged in some way by special elements, it is possible to know the cartridge used to produce the gunshot residue. Inference about the source of gunshot residue can be based on the examination of the particles found on a suspect and the population of particles found on the victim, in the firearm or in the cartridge case, as suggested by the ASTM Standard Guide for gunshot residue analysis by scanning electron microscopy/energy dispersive X-ray spectrometry. Advanced analytical techniques such as ion beam analysis (IBA), carried out after scanning electron microscopy, can support further information allowing one to infer about the source of gunshot residue particles. Christopher et al. showed as the grouping behaviour of different makes of ammunition can be determined using multivariate analysis. Bullets can be matched back to a gun using comparative ballistics.

I have a question. Did the podcast about the D's murders end?
Did I miss something? I've been really busy lately.

Thanks .

It's amazing how really the smallest of 'tips'/info, can explode a case wide open to lead police on a trail to the killer. I hope in this case, that no seemingly small detail which was available from the start, is being tossed aside as meaningless because it may not necessarily make sense. The festering of what some may consider a small wound from the past can obviously become powerful over time, and especially if the person has had some mental health issues. I wonder if there was any time-relevance in this case, where the killer felt 'now or never' and the window of opportunity may have been soon about to close, for whatever reason.

Seems nothing has done that, yet anyway if that, small clue was overlooked

SS has said extortion from the get go,

It would definitely have to be they thought the derminds had and Tha makes sense, since banks were closed or only half day or atm only machines open Saturdays in the area,

But HE ALSO says they aren't from around here yet knew the derminds well enough they trusted them.... Hmmmm

I hope nothing was overlooked

It's amazing how really the smallest of 'tips'/info, can explode a case wide open to lead police on a trail to the killer. I hope in this case, that no seemingly small detail which was available from the start, is being tossed aside as meaningless because it may not necessarily make sense. The festering of what some may consider a small wound from the past can obviously become powerful over time, and especially if the person has had some mental health issues. I wonder if there was any time-relevance in this case, where the killer felt 'now or never' and the window of opportunity may have been soon about to close, for whatever reason.

DG is right, being we aren't of the perps mindset, as I've said before also, we can't understand or really know What someone of this mindset is thinking, we certainly know what they are capale of

I tend to think money was the motivator unless it was the cult wrecking havoc in SS nerves

Seems we have stereotypes for this crime and none fit, not even th family motive due to beheading people think they or the hired hit would do
The sheriff said he suspects the Dermonds were slain by two or more killers motivated by money. He said it's possible the killers thought the couple had something of great value, and left empty-handed after realizing they were wrong.

Gruesome slaying of Georgia couple unsolved after 5 years

Ok, everyone,

Please tell me, in your opinion--
How many killers you think did this horrific crime,
Male and/ or female and how many?

Do you think this case will be solved?

Thanks!

JMO

SS has kept so many details quite and close to the vest, I question why he has now given us the name of a person he confided in?

He doesn’t do anything accidentally!
What is the reason for telling the world this latest tidbit? There is a point behind it IMO. What is it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07