VA VA - Janet 'Renee' Field, 49, Scottsville, 2 July 2014

Maybe if The Hook from Charlottesville would focus a couple of stories on the local missing persons that could help bring attention to Janet's case... Just thinking there are ways these subjects can be revisited and new information gained.

On July 2, 2014, Janet Renee Field drove away from her home in Scottsville, Virginia after having a small argument with her husband, according to her husband’s statements to police. Renee never returned. Two days after she disappeared, police found her car abandoned about 20 miles from her house. Police say nothing was out of the ordinary with the car. Bloodhounds and cadaver dogs have searched both Renee’s home and the area near where her car was located, but nothing of significance has been found. Friends and family say Renee, 49, was a very private person who didn’t have any social media accounts, placing her even further off the grid and therefore harder for investigators to track. Authorities have investigated every lead they’ve received over the past four years to try to locate Renee.

Five years of Dateline’s Missing in America: 109 still missing

This case bothers me so much. I hope she is out there safe leading a new life but I can't believe she wouldn't have contacted her mother. I wish there was news.

This case bothers me so much. I hope she is out there safe leading a new life but I can't believe she wouldn't have contacted her mother. I wish there was news.

This case has always bothered me too.....I just don't think she would have left her mother. Perhaps someday she'll be "found".

This case has always bothered me too.....I just don't think she would have left her mother. Perhaps someday she'll be "found".
I've followed this case, too. I know the husband, boyfriend or ex is the first person LE looks at, but based on most of the media accounts the husband here does seem like a strong POI or suspect. BUT I can't rule him out either.

A couple thoughts. The fact that Joan's vehicle was found at Zion Crossroads, Va. is significant IMO. In the years leading up to Renee's disappearance were at least two other incidents involving foul play that had connections to the Palmyra/ Zion Crossroads area. (If you are interested in the other cases, you should research Kristin Fox & Robert Hourihan - see links). Perhaps there is a bad guy who feels very comfortable in that Zion Crossroads area and could have been operating there. The possibility of Renee encountering the UNSUB at the local gas station a distinct possibility. Incidentally, RAT was known to hang out at gas stations trolling for women, and that is where he located Alexis Murphy. The articles that are linked in some of the earlier threads mentioned that Joan may have been at a gas station.

The other thought I had was that JM (who killed Hannah Graham) was active during the summer of 2014 and and greater Charlottesville locales were his stomping grounds. It is possible Janet crossed paths with JM or RAT (who has been convicted in the case of Alexis Murphy).

Dozens Scour Riverview Park in Search for Two Missing Women

Article about Kristin Fox: Police Identify Woman Found in Louisa - WVIR NBC29 Charlottesville News, Sports, and Weather

Article about Robert Hourihan:

Robert Lee Hourihan

I did a Google search over the last 12 months and nothing. Nada. Zip zilch. Not one word on this case. The most recent update was around July 2018. If LE and media take an I-don't-care approach it is going to be even more difficult to solve.

janet_renee_field_4382f5175f0e1dd71aa7dc98278278f1.fit-760w.png

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

On July 2, 2014, Janet Renee Field drove away from her home in Scottsville, Virginia, after having a small argument with her husband, according to her husband’s statements to police. Renee never returned. Two days after she disappeared, police found her car abandoned about 20 miles from her house. Police say nothing was out of the ordinary with the car. Bloodhounds and cadaver dogs have searched both Renee’s home and the area near where her car was located, but nothing of significance has been found. Friends and family say Renee, 49, was a very private person who didn’t have any social media accounts, placing her even further off the grid and therefore harder for investigators to track. Authorities have investigated every lead they’ve received over the past six years to try to locate Renee. If you have any information on details surrounding Renee’s disappearance, please call the Fluvanna County Sheriff's Office at (434) 589-8211.
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

A search of the internet in the last year only yields a FB post on the Fluvanna County SO's page on 02 July. Eight years and that is all we have. Last I read her husband has moved Texas. Her Charley Project page hasn't been updated since 2018.
Janet Renee Field – The Charley Project

Bloodhounds didn't pick up anything at the house. Same with the car. But does that necessarily mean nothing happened there? Or just that a deceased body wasn't there?

I believe *someone* has hidden this lady's body well.

Agreed! I just cannot believe that Renee just up and abandoned not only her car, but her whole life....I find it very difficult to believe that she would have left her mother to worry about her forever. I hope that someday justice will be served....

DEC 5, 2022
Janet Renee Field

On July 2, 2014, Janet Renee Field drove away from her home in Scottsville, Virginia, after having a small argument with her husband, according to her husband’s statements to police. She never returned. Two days after Janet disappeared, police found her car abandoned about 20 miles from the house. Police say nothing was out of the ordinary with the car. Bloodhounds and cadaver dogs have searched both Renee’s home and the area near where her car was located, but nothing of significance has been found. Friends and family say Renee, who was 49 years old at the time, was a very private person who didn’t have any social media accounts, making her more difficult for investigators to track. Captain David Wells with the Fluvanna County Sheriff’s Office told Dateline in 2018 that authorities have investigated every lead they’ve received to try to locate Renee. Earlier this year, the Virginia State Police launched a website to display their database of cold cases. It includes investigations into homicides and missing or unidentified persons cases that have been unsolved for at least five years. The Fluvanna County Sheriff's Office submitted Janet's case to the database, which confirms it is still an active investigation. Janet is described as being 5’7” and weighing 130 lbs. at the time of her disappearance. She has short blonde hair and blue eyes. If you have any information on details surrounding Renee’s disappearance, please call the Fluvanna County Sheriff's Office at (434) 589-8211.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back