MI - Pauline Randol, 51, Killed by 9 yo mentally ill adopted son, 5 May 2019. *dismissed*

PastTense

Reaction score
The mother wanted to get her adoptive son help, knowing he had "scars" from his childhood.

According to the 9-year-old boy's family, she had booked an appointment for Tuesday after struggling to get him mental health care for some time. But early Monday, Pauline Marie Randol, 51, was found dead after being shot with a rifle in their southern Michigan home.

Her son, whom The Detroit News is not identifying, became the suspect. And on Wednesday, court records indicated he was charged with her murder.
Boy, 9, charged with killing mother has mental 'scars', sister says
0330ba5f-d83d-4954-8c7e-241e8a9c76c6-randol_family_2.jpg

9-Year-Old Boy Charged with Murder After Allegedly Shooting Mother with Rifle

The boy reportedly has a history of mental health problems and was on new medication when the shooting occurred.

“He doesn’t know what he did. He doesn’t understand what’s going on right now at all,” Martin said. “He doesn’t understand why he can’t come home or anything.”

A neighbor told WWMT the boy was a second-grader at Congress Elementary School in Sturgis. Another mother from the school told the station that the child had threatened her 8-year-old daughter in 2018.

Last edited:
‘Don’t think he meant it,’ sibling says about 9-year-old accused of killing mom

His sister says he is a third grader. She mentions that his behavior dramatically worsened after his meds were changed a few weeks ago.

A sibling of a 9-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting his adoptive mother said he needs mental health treatment and she doesn’t think he ever intended to harm her.

“My mom would not want him to be labeled a murderer,” said Reaggann Martin. “Her whole world revolved around him.”

The 9-year-old is charged as a juvenile with open murder and felony firearm in St. Joseph County Family Court involving the death of Pauline Randol. He was in a juvenile courtroom Tuesday, May 7 for an intake hearing.

Martin said her brother, a third-grader, has long been diagnosed with a mood disorder but it seemed to grow dramatically worse in the last two weeks when his medication was changed.

He started “hitting, kicking and throwing stuff,” she said.

Randol had kept the boy home from school Monday out of concern about his behavior. Martin said that was the day he “snapped.”

There were hunting rifles in the house but Martin said they always were locked up. She doesn’t know how he got the weapon.

“I want people to know that he’s not a bad kid,” the boy’s sister, Harley Martin, told the station. “He loved his mom. I don’t want people to think he did not love his mom.”

“My wife and I both, when we heard that the woman was shot, we both looked at each other and said ‘I bet it was him,'” Joseph Lancaster told the station. “The little boy, because I have grandkids. I have one the same age and I’ve got smaller ones. And he would stand in the tree line over there and point his BB gun at him and shoot at them.” 9-Year-Old Boy Charged with Murder After Allegedly Shooting Mother with Rifle

Why would he have a BB gun? This is such a tragedy. I am getting an Adam Lanza vibe. He was really in need of qualified help.

Last edited:
“My wife and I both, when we heard that the woman was shot, we both looked at each other and said ‘I bet it was him,'” Joseph Lancaster told the station. “The little boy, because I have grandkids. I have one the same age and I’ve got smaller ones. And he would stand in the tree line over there and point his BB gun at him and shoot at them.” 9-Year-Old Boy Charged with Murder After Allegedly Shooting Mother with Rifle

Why would he have a BB gun? This is such a tragedy. I am getting an Adam Lanza vibe. He was really in need of qualified help.

Her fb page is still up. There is a pic from 3 years ago where he is smiling while posing with a deer and rifle after hunting. There are pics with a stuffed animal on the wall. There are also pics of a jacket that someone gave him, 5 years ago, that says he is dad’s little hunting buddy. One of his birthday cakes had a hunting scene with toppers of a hunter and his dogs.

That could be why you are getting an Adam Lanza vibe.

Last edited:
Change has to start with parents having common sense. It would be a cold day in hell before my daughter ever touched my guns. She has no interest. She enjoys shooting her bow and has occasionally shot a gun but doesn’t have much interest. None the less, all the guns are put up and all the ammo is locked up. If she was having anger issues her bow would be locked up as well. Kids should not have access to weapons, period. And especially kids on medication. :’(

Why can’t the US figure out some gun control? All weapons (if you must have them) should be locked with no access to the keys for the children. Is this not basic common sense? Given the child had serious mental health issues, make alternate arrangements for the guns in your house, given them to a fellow hunter if you need to.

I am so tired of hearing about all this gun violence in the US with children.

I could say a lot more, but I’ll bite my tongue.

In this country, virtually every path to help is strewn with obstacles and all of our systems are broken, gun control is non-existent, and the things that really matter are instead only topics for dispute and igniting a reaction from "the other side". No one has any intention of fixing any system because it's a means of control on so many levels. Strife and scandal are necessary tools needed to maintain confusion and animosity in the world.

There is an uncomfortably high number of foster/adoptive parents who sign an intent to adopt as soon as a child is placed with them, and push the system to make that happen as quickly as possible. Sometimes the motivator is the adoption subsidy money, sometimes it's a desire to be seen as accepting of any child so the district will continue to place kids with them, sometimes it's the genuine belief that love and a family can make everything better -- the problem is, once that "honeymoon period" is over, that adoptive parent is left with a still-broken child and they have now detached themselves from the system that could better assist in accessing the services the child needs. The goal of achieving permanency for a child through adoption is a noble one, but meaningless if both the child and the family aren't afforded the chance to reach that stage where the illusion slips away and those issues and behaviors come out. One of the Federal govt's measures of success is how quickly permanency is achieved, whether through reunification with a parent, discharge to a relative, or adoption, and there is no advantage to keeping a child in care so those time-bomb issues can be uncovered and treated.

I do feel terrible for the family's loss, and am sad that the child will enter yet another system that will fail him.

Prosecutors weigh in on charging boy, 9, accused of murdering mother

The boy’s sister says he was asking where their mother was in court on Tuesday. She claims he has no idea what happened to their mother.

The sister says her mother adopted him from a woman who had drug issues, leading to the boy suffering from mental health issues. She says he started taking medication last week.

The first week or two after a child starts taking meds or has them changed can be very dicey. Sometimes its a smooth transition but often it causes big mood swings as the child becomes used to the medication and dosages are tweeked. Any firearms should be well out of access to that child.

Prosecutors weigh in on charging boy, 9, accused of murdering mother

The boy’s sister says he was asking where their mother was in court on Tuesday. She claims he has no idea what happened to their mother.

If what the sister says is accurate, could the med have caused him to be so out of it, that he does not remember what happened? Did he know enough from hunting that he could have done this in a dissociative state? While the family might have thought hunting was a good bonding activity, it desensitized him to violence.

What happens to him now? Will he be in residential treatment until he is 18? The dad would need a serious safety plan in place if he were to return home before then.

Psychopaths come in all sizes, ages, genders and ethnicities. There's a long history of child killers. It isn't politically correct to identify and discuss these little murderers and torturers but we shouldn't pretend they don't exist. This particular child commented a year earlier that he would like to stab his mother and watch her cry.
I'm reminded of Christian Romero, age 8, who lied in wait for his father and shot him - then shot their housemate. When 3 rounds failed to do the job, he shot him a final time so his father wouldn't suffer too much. He cleaned his rifle and himself then went next door and told the neighbors he saw the killer drive away in a white vehicle.
Some years ago there was an article about a 3 year old who drowned their younger sibling in a kiddie pool. In other words, with her bare hands as the two year old flailed and kicked for life.
Juvenile crime used to be a passion of mine until full accounts, identity and follow up was deemed unreportable.
Are they mentally disturbed - anyone who can inflict suffering is mentally disturbed. If this was an excuse, no one would be imprisoned for violent crime.
Christian was released years ago at the age of 15 after a period in what was essentially a reform school where he assaulted staff on numerous occasions. Hopefully, he's on the right medication.
James Bulger, aged 2, was kidnapped by 10 year olds and brutally and mercilessly tortured before being beat to death. They went to reform school too.
The fact that these crimes are incomprehensible are what make them so fascinating to me.

There are two older sisters talking to the press.

Daughter of woman 'shot dead by her nine-year-old adoptive son' says he was only trying to SCARE her | Daily Mail Online

Reagan Martin, 23, believes the boy - who has not been identified because he is underage - was likely attempting to frighten her biological mother, Pauline Randol, when he fatally injured her with a rifle in their living room on Monday morning.

'I don’t think he meant to do it. I think was probably a scare tactic,' she told MLive.

In court Tuesday, the boy asked where his mother was and Harley Martin said 'he doesn't know what he did'.

'He doesn't understand why he can't come home or anything,' she continued. 'He's traumatized by what he saw in there. That's all he told my dad about was seeing that. It's going to mess him up for a really long time because he does not realize what he's done.'

The boy was charged Wednesday with the woman's murder but his sisters, who are Randol's children from a previous relationship, have said he suffers from mental health issues.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire