FL FL - Jacqueline Dunmire, 73, diving, Atlantic Ocean south of Summerland Key, 7 May 2019

What reef was she diving off of?

Looe Key, which is just S/SW of Big Pine. It's a gorgeous reef - my favorite one in the Keys. Depth on the reef ranges from about 1'-2' to around 30'; further south of the reef the ocean gets very deep, and you'll run into the Gulf Stream Current, which often moves at around 9 knots - very, very fast (it look like a river of deep blue water in the middle of the ocean). In addition, we're coming up on the rainy season, where huge, powerful storms (and a lot of waterspouts) will start rolling through.

Looe Key, which is just S/SW of Big Pine. It's a gorgeous reef - my favorite one in the Keys. Depth on the reef ranges from about 1'-2' to around 30'; further south of the reef the ocean gets very deep, and you'll run into the Gulf Stream Current, which often moves at around 9 knots - very, very fast (it look like a river of deep blue water in the middle of the ocean). In addition, we're coming up on the rainy season, where huge, powerful storms (and a lot of waterspouts) will start rolling through.
If she went into the Gulf Stream they’d have a tough time finding her. I’m really surprised there’s no names published. Is there family there? Were they vacationing, full time residents, etc?

That’s what I thought, but wasn’t sure. My favorite also

Looe Key is pretty popular (vacationed every year in the Keys). I am sure there were other private and diving boats in the area?

It's a very very popular place. The questions I have are: Was she diving with a group, or just her husband? Was she alone in the water? What was their diving plan? Had she done any other dives that day - especially deep dives? Did she have a good relationship with her husband?

At Looe Key there can be some strong currents at times - especially if there's a good breeze that causes the water to roll over the reef; I've been caught by that pseudo rip-current many times there and pulled out farther than I wanted to be. And yes, this time of year the Gulf Stream meanders to be much closer to the reef.

The Coast Guard has called off the search for a missing 73-year-old diver in the Keys: The Coast Guard has called off the search for a missing 73-year-old diver in the Keys

This map of Summerland Key/Look Key Reef will give you a better idea of the area - the reef is clearly the dividing line between the shallow water and the abyss and the Gulf Stream.
Google Maps

Farnia%20mug.JPG

Jacqueline Dunmire
Coast Guard suspends search for missing diver 7 miles south of Summerland Key | Coast Guard News
May 10th, 2019
KEY WEST, Fla. — The Coast Guard suspended its search for a 73-year old missing diver 7 miles south of Summerland Key on Thursday.

Missing is Jacqueline Dunmire.

After searching 2,119 square-nautical miles for over 106 hours, officials were unable to locate Dunmire who was reported missing Tuesday.

“The Coast Guard’s search and rescue mission is one we take very personally, and it is never easy suspending a search,” said Capt. Adam Chamie, Commander of Coast Guard Sector Key West. “Despite our best efforts, we were not able to locate Ms. Dunmire, and our hearts go out to the entire family.”
[...]

The Coast Guard has called off the search for a missing 73-year-old diver in the Keys

UPDATED MAY 10, 2019 03:07 PM
After a 73-year-old diver in the Lower Keys was reported missing Tuesday, the Coast Guard and other agencies suspended their round the clock search Thursday night.

They released the woman’s name: Jacqueline Dunmire.
[...]

If she went into the Gulf Stream they’d have a tough time finding her. I’m really surprised there’s no names published. Is there family there? Were they vacationing, full time residents, etc?
They were renting the house across from me. We were out of town at the time but came in just when her husband left the police questioned everyone on our canal, hoping someone had a video camera but no one did. I haven’t heard anymore about this

They were renting the house across from me. We were out of town at the time but came in just when her husband left the police questioned everyone on our canal, hoping someone had a video camera but no one did. I haven’t heard anymore about this
Welcome KStarfish. Thanks for the detail. That’s unfortunate that there wasn’t any cameras in the vicinity. It would have given a better perspective as to her demeanor when they were headed out for the day.

Arline Jacqueline Dunmire – The Charley Project
dunmire_arline.jpg

• Missing Since 05/07/2019
  • Missing From Big Pine, Florida
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/25/1947 (73)
  • Age 72 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0 -5'2, 140 - 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description - A black short-sleeved dive suit, gray dive fins, and black buoyancy compensator, and a black aluminum dive tank containing fifty cubic feet of air.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics - Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Dunmire goes by her middle name, Jacqueline.
Details of Disappearance
Dunmire was last seen while diving with her husband at the Adolphus Busch shipwreck seven miles off the coast of Big Pine, Florida on May 7, 2019. She disappeared during the dive and has never been found, in spite of an extensive search. She is presumed drowned.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back