The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
HLN--Special Royal Baby programming update: Tomorrow at Noon ET catch "A Royal Match, Harry & Meghan", hosted by Alisyn Camerota. She looks back at Harry and Meghan’s lives, their romance, how they will redefine Britain’s most famous family and change the monarchy forever.

Sensible shoes!!! Flats, no sure how Sensible white embroidery for shoes might be:

body_3_5.jpg

Liking the green dress, simple, good color for this Duchess.

NO mention of becoming a Grandma, so we wait again....

I loved the Archie comic books when I was young.
I remember the Archie cartoons and spin offs like Josie and the Pussycats

0e9b04047e409d9341c166f2d552d1b5.jpg
I loved Archie Comic books. As a kid I walked a good mile with 25c to purchase the latest issue. Later on I also purchased Josie & the Pussycats, Wendy the Good Witch , and Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Now I wish I had saved my comic book collection.

Archie Andrews was forever the Good guy in the bunch.

Sensible shoes!!! Flats, no sure how Sensible white embroidery for shoes might be:

body_3_5.jpg

Liking the green dress, simple, good color for this Duchess.

NO mention of becoming a Grandma, so we wait again....
I struggle for professional shoes because of a major foot issue,good for Fergie. I find her gracious despite her history. Her statement was lovely IMO

For those interested Netflix has a 6 episode series called The Royal House of Windsor and how it came to be.

Starts off during WW1 and the anti German sentiment growing in the UK and the decision of George V to change the House name from the House of Saxe, Gotha and Coburg to the House of Windsor.
Later on in the series we learn how Prince Philip wanted his children have his surname, Mountbatten, but this did not sit well with some royals and was initially refused but the debate was revisited when QEII became pregnant for the 3rd time and just days before Prince Andrew was born a compromise was reached. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philips descendants, when needed, would use Mountbatten-Windsor as the family surname.

Oh boy, the British royal family and their convoluted naming system!
I still can't believe Prince Philip wanted his name inserted in there. He didn't marry a commoner, He married into the House of Windsor and that's the family name.

I'm a plain commoner with a double barreled British surname. Now I'm wondering what will happen if I choose to give my future children my last name AND their father's last name. Which one of my double barreled names gets dropped. I wonder if there are any rules about that for commoners?

Last edited:
I still can't believe Prince Philip wanted his name inserted in there. He didn't marry a commoner, He married into the House of Windsor and that's the family name.

I'm a plain commoner with a double barreled British surname. Now I'm wondering what will happen if I choose to give my future children my last name AND their father's last name. Which one of my double barreled names gets dropped. I wonder if there are any rules about that for commoners?
Even here in USA my 2nd husband felt strongly that I use his name. We both had adult or almost adult kids and I had already changed my name back to my maiden name so now I have either two middle or two last names depending .....it isn’t easy being “royalist” with my names....the commoners don’t seem to understand! but to marry my prince it was worth it! I will never understand the whole name thing but Mountbatten-Windsor is a pretty cool name!

I will never understand the whole name thing but Mountbatten-Windsor is a pretty cool name!

Keep in mind that the Mountbatten surname was created, again around the time of WWI, to obscure the Battenberg family's Germanic roots.

The Crown handles this well.

Prince Phillip did not use Mountbatten as a surname until joining the Royal Navy.

His uncle, Louis Mountbatten, was Viceroy in India at the time of separation in 1947 & was then Governor General.

I keep hearing Archie & Jughead comments, and I've never heard of them!
Are they well known here in the UK?

Funny side story

My 9 yo DD Is a big comic book fan so has a couple of the Archie comic books I have bought her (part of my youth haha)

I told her that Prince Harry had his baby and they named him Archie! She looks at me quizzically and asks if the baby has red hair and that’s why they picked that name? I said well, we the public doesn't know that, but you know that Harry is a red head.

She pauses a sec and then laughed and laughed and laughed

Quite frankly, Meghan is an American. Archie from the comics is very well known here. He is a huge red headed icon character. SHE KNEW lol

Last edited:
Even here in USA my 2nd husband felt strongly that I use his name. We both had adult or almost adult kids and I had already changed my name back to my maiden name so now I have either two middle or two last names depending .....it isn’t easy being “royalist” with my names....the commoners don’t seem to understand! but to marry my prince it was worth it! I will never understand the whole name thing but Mountbatten-Windsor is a pretty cool name!

LOL, so abstr, what you're saying to me is that despite my North American commoner status, I'm still going to encounter royal family style name issues.
I'm glad you found your prince!!
Maybe one day I'll find mine and if I do I'll suggest that we just buy a Title of Nobility and not deal with our original names.
Buy A Title Of Nobility | Buy A Royal Title - Principality Of Sealand

Lady or Baroness would be lovely.
However, I'm not sure if it would be formally recognized here or if the Queen of Canada would need to approve it. Sigh.

As for the Mountbatten/Windsor combination, I personally find the two names capture the simultaneous history and change in the relationship and future of a family and nation (Germany and the U.K.). Windsor telling the U.K. and the world that they are their own people now, and Mountbatten says we are on your territory now, new rules, new emerging culture.

To be fair Phillip was 'His Serene Highness Prince Louis of Battenberghen' until he abandoned his Greek and Danish royal titles to become a naturalised British subject prior to marriage.

He's a direct descendant of Russia's Tsar Nicholas I via his paternal grandmother Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia. He is related to the House of Romanov through both his father and his mother.

:cool:*Fun Fact:
It was through his DNA scientists in 1993 were able to confirm the identity of the final remains of the family of the last Emperor of Russia (Nicholas II)

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh - Wikipedia

Phillip is a little too inbred then, if he's related to any House via both mother and father!! Too close genetically.

That explains a LOT. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
LOL, so abstr, what you're saying to me is that despite my North American commoner status, I'm still going to encounter royal family style name issues.
I'm glad you found your prince!!
Maybe one day I'll find mine and if I do I'll suggest that we just buy a Title of Nobility and not deal with our original names.
Buy A Title Of Nobility | Buy A Royal Title - Principality Of Sealand

Lady or Baroness would be lovely.
However, I'm not sure if it would be formally recognized here or if the Queen of Canada would need to approve it. Sigh.

As for the Mountbatten/Windsor combination, I personally find the two names capture the simultaneous history and change in the relationship and future of a family and nation (Germany and the U.K.). Windsor telling the U.K. and the world that they are their own people now, and Mountbatten says we are on your territory now, new rules, new emerging culture.
I don’t think anyone I know could call me Lady Abstr with a straight face! I too hope you find your prince...

Here's a stretch to the RF:

Trevor Engelson got married today in California, wearing a bright pink suit. Daily Mail

Can someone please link the suit? LOL

He is the ex-hubby of Duchess of Sussex

ETA: seems that was at the rehearsal dinner.

Last edited:

Attachments

• AABF43E0-9C7F-4875-AA79-CA86E0DDD68F.jpeg
    AABF43E0-9C7F-4875-AA79-CA86E0DDD68F.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors