GUILTY CO - 1 dead, 8 injured, shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

I dont think it was an anonymous letter, or that specifics were not provided ... just that the parent is unnamed. BBC is reporting that it was a phone call from the unnamed parent that spurred the official letter to the school.
They evidently know who the parent is, as the school has lodged a lawsuit against the parent.
BBC usually has pretty accurate reporting. imo
I wonder what will happen with that lawsuit now.

The unnamed parent called a school district official, who detailed the claims in a letter to the school's director.
US school warned of 'repeat Columbine'

It's a bit confusing to me. This article (link below quote) for example says this:

"The school filed a lawsuit, denying all of the allegations and accusing the parent caller of slander and invasion of privacy. The lawsuit sought to issue a subpoena for phone records that would reveal the identity of the caller."
bbm
Suspected Colorado STEM shooter joked about school shootings, students say

That would suggest the school does not know who the caller is.

JMO

My kid wouldn't go back to that school. IMO there's a lot that needs to be investigated.

Lawsuit filed by school IMO is finished - seem the person who made the accusations may have been correct.

Predicted lawsuit re: private security guard use vs. deputies.

Predicted lawsuit re: lockdown vs. Alice plan, i.e. what was the school's official plan? When was last drill?

Help me to understand this one...
School shooter DE was a bully. His accomplice was bullied because she was transgender. What? How did these two create such a scenario?
Suspected Colorado gunman joked about school shootings, friend says - CNN
Maybe the abuse dynamic Alec grew up with helped create a toxic stew where he identified with the bully in order to save his own neck. It's not a big step to go from appeasing/flattering a bully to covering for them and then actively assisting them in terrorizing others. Happens all the time, at all levels of society.

Im thankful the security guard was there, present, and engaged in stopping the carnage. With the previous 50% SRO who had attendance issues due to illness, there may have been no security or LE of any sort present if the school had not taken the initiative to hire their own full time security service.

Yes, he likely fired his weapon, and we know there were at least TWO active shooters at that time. No one has suggested that his actions were reckless or criminal. From every report and indication, the security guard was was rapidly THERE in one of the classrooms with gunfire, engaged in protecting the students, and stopping and restraining the shooter until LEO's arrived.

Should he have run and hid himself instead? Like the SRO in Parkland?? Should he have given the shooter a hug? Tried to reason with an active shooter? No, I don't think so. He immediately engaged in the situation to STOP the shooter. He's a former deputy and a veteran. He knew what to do, and he did it without hesitation, and saved lives. By every single report.

I don't think we should insinuate or malign the security guard's actions at this point, and suggest his actions were criminal. That is enormously offensive, IMO.

No one has given any indication his actions are considered potentially criminal in this context, and his actions have been openly praised for helping to stop the shooter. He is fully cooperating with the investigation.

The security guard present at STEM has an impressive resume. I'm glad he was there. I'm thankful for his dedication and bravery. I'm doubtful that he will face any criminal charges.

Police rushed into the school immediately after arriving. Three students had tackled one of the gunmen in a classroom and disarmed him, according to student accounts. Senior Kendrick Castillo died in the school after he helped tackle the gunman.

A security guard contracted by the school was able to restrain that suspect until deputies arrived.

Law enforcement did not exchange gunfire with the teen suspects, Spurlock said, though a security guard may have fired shots during the incident.

STEM School Highlands Ranch shooting timeline: 14 minutes of terror at Colorado school

**STEM still had a contract for a part time, OFF DUTY officer with a patrol car on campus whose duty was primarily to direct traffic outside 3 hours a day. We have no idea if that LEO was present, but no has said the off duty officer was there during the shooting incident. This is in addition to their full time private security guard, who is a military veteran and former Jefferson county deputy.

“The unfortunate fact is that schools with and without SROs have experienced violence. With regard to the tragedy on May 7, 2019, we credit both the actions of our private security guard, the team of DCSO law enforcement officials who were on scene within two minutes, and the heroic students and staff members at STEM for minimizing the number of fatalities and casualties.

We expressed our concerns directly to DCSO, and they offered us a better alternative to have a daily part-time, off-duty sheriff’s deputy with a squad car. We supplemented that with full-time private security services provided by BOSS High Level Protection. That combination gave us a significant increase in protection for our staff and students.

And Bronner told Denver7 the school did hire a part-time, off-duty deputy through the Deputy Sheriff Association who provided traffic control at the school for three hours a day on each school day for the 2018-19 school year. The deputy would also walk around inside and outside the school if they had time, Bronner said.

STEM School, sheriff's office disagreed on resource officer

The other question we have to ask is why public and charter schools are charged so much by the county/ state for a full time SRO that they can only afford a 50% contract with another school?

Clearly the private security firm's prices were more affordable for a full time guard. Clearly, the school received a full FTE for the same, or lower price than they would have had for a 50% SRO-- and the service commitment had been a problem for quite a while apparently. I side with the school district on their decision. I understand competing conflicts of budgets, contracts, and service needs. The county was unwilling to provide what they needed, and wanted, for the safety of the kids. I'm glad they pursued other options, as well as keeping the off duty traffic control officer a few hours a day.

DENVER - An armed security guard, employed privately by STEM School Highlands Ranch, helped apprehend one of the shooters Tuesday.

"He probably saved more lives than he thinks he did," said Tyler Christensen, an 8th-grade student who was near the gunshots. "It makes him a hero. To me, he is a hero."

BOSS is a local security agency which contracts with private and charter schools.

"Our guy was instrumental in taking down one of the shooters and we believed he saved a lot of lives," said Grant Whitus, the owner of BOSS.

Whitus also says the guard is a veteran of Marines and a former Jefferson County Sheriff's deputy. Whitus says the man has been a private security guard for about a year.

"He is so upset about children being hurt, he loves that school, he loves the children there and his heart is breaking he couldn't do more," Whitus said. "I assured him there is only so much one person can do."

Private security guard saved lives at STEM school shooting

Hopefully his name will be made public soon so he can be thanked and recognized for his service and actions. I think that will happen the end of next week, after the investigation is further along, and formal charges are filed on the 2 accused.

This was such a lovely gesture. Very heartwarming in such a terrible time. Kendrick was truly a remarkable young man. I really can't imagine the grief his family is experiencing.

Colorado School of Mines electrical engineering grads wear Kendrick Castillo stickers to graduation

“We hope to carry Kendrick across our stage."

Friday would have been his last day of his senior year of high school. At STEM, Castillo was a member of the robotics team and was well-known to others as a promising young electrician who had plans to study electrical engineering.

“Kendrick was an absolute genius in the machine shop,” his former robotics coach, Ron Coffee, told Denver7 earlier this week. “You’d describe it and Kendrick would come back covered in saw dust holding not just the part, but three spare parts.”

“I was always struck with his humility and his quietness,” Zach Coffee said of Castillo. “[He] never needed to take credit for work, never needed the credit – never was doing it for the notoriety.”

Some School of Mines grads wear Kendrick Castillo stickers

That is not what is being taught in many schools now. The hide in place protocol is in many districts being replaced with the "get out or fight" plan. I think its a much better plan.
Except for those who actually fight the shooter, I suppose. In two recent shootings, two young men rushed the shooter and both were shot dead. If you are not armed and you run towards someone with a gun, chances are you are going to get shot and killed.

blame the victim for the abuse. I've seen abused kids side with the abuser and verbally abuse the weaker parent (mom). DV is a huge RED FLAG for School Shooters. Dad sounds like a nightmare and a horrible role model.
I've seen this dynamic several times- child has mom in his life, she's there. Dad is gone and probably was a neglectful father-
maybe absentee or just ignored kid. Kid is yearning for more fatherly attention and in his screwed up mind detrmines Mom is bad (remember she's still there in his life) and kid projects his
anger on Mom and Dad ends up the hero good guy.
All because Dad was not there for kid, probably ever.
And yes, DV and dad's treatment of mom affect kid's thoughts too.

Most recent update on all of the student victims:

Seven of the eight students who were wounded in a shooting at a suburban Denver school have been sent home from hospitals.

Littleton Adventist Hospital said Friday it's still treating one patient, who is in fair condition. The hospital released a second patient Friday and three others on Tuesday, the day of the attack.

Sky Ridge Medical Center received two shooting victims and both have been released. Another was treated and released at Children's Hospital Colorado South.

A ninth victim, 18-year-old student Kendrick Castillo, was killed during the attack at the STEM School in Highlands Ranch. Witnesses say Castillo was shot while tackling one of the two shooters.

The Latest: Dispute meant no officer at school during attack

Except for those who actually fight the shooter, I suppose. In two recent shootings, two young men rushed the shooter and both were shot dead. If you are not armed and you run towards someone with a gun, chances are you are going to get shot and killed.
I agree. I think it is irresponsible to train children to fight a shooter. The security guard let the kids endanger themselves and also may have shot a student.

JMO

Most recent update on all of the student victims:

The Latest: Dispute meant no officer at school during attack

More and more, there are discussions about arming teachers with guns.

I would prefer that all of these school shootings should be studied, give some university a huge grant, to interview people involved, in depth analysis of data, and see what is the correlation between all of these school shooters. Several are still alive, pour over their MMPI's, whatever, and find out how to stop this situation.

Arming teachers is not the solution!

Re: resource officer
It should be obvious a law enforcement trained deputy has more experience and training than a hired security guard.

This particular security guard is a former marine (and has a lawyer who is now speaking for him).

I agree, you would think the training and experience that a public peace officer (law enforcement) receives would be quite different than the training and experience of a security guard or marine.

This particular security guard is a former marine (and has a lawyer who is now speaking for him).

I agree, you would think the training and experience that a public peace officer (law enforcement) receives would be quite different than the training and experience of a security guard or marine.
ITA. My brother is former Marine Corps Captain but he isn't trained in law enforcement or hostage situations. The school was trying to save money and that's scary.

JMO

ITA. My brother is former Marine Corps Captain but he isn't trained in law enforcement or hostage situations. The school was trying to save money and that's scary.

JMO

Do you know if schools get a special budget for the protection of the children and staff, or does the money have to come out of their regular budget?

Seems like it would be such a huge expense, above and beyond the teaching needs. Perhaps requiring the hiring of one or two fewer teachers to be able to cover the expense of protection?

JMO
I certainly didn't mean to demean your brother. Hope you didn't take it that way. It's just as you said. A deputy sheriff receives a different type of training.

Do you know if schools get a special budget for the protection of the children and staff, or does the money have to come out of their regular budget?

Seems like it would be such a huge expense, above and beyond the teaching needs. Perhaps requiring the hiring of one or two fewer teachers to be able to cover the expense of protection?
In light of the STEM shooting, Douglas CO Commissioners are “considering” putting an extra $10 million towards school security. Too bad it took a school shooting to get the ball rolling.

Douglas County to consider $10 million in new funding for school safety

In light of the STEM shooting, Douglas CO Commissioners are “considering” putting an extra $10 million towards school security. Too bad it took a school shooting to get the ball rolling.

Douglas County to consider $10 million in new funding for school safety

I wonder if the $35 million agreed upon a year ago, specifically for police officers in schools and school security upgrades, passed the required House vote in Colorado (it was agreed in a Senate vote).

It sounds as if perhaps the schools have been struggling to pay for protection until now/very recently.

Colorado could spend $35 million to protect schools

Another thing I have noticed about the training, is that Colorado has minimum requirements for training of SROs.
Something a security guard in a school may not be required to undertake - they could be just that, a security guard.

New policies in Colorado are often touted as a progressive approach. A 2012 revision in the state’s education statute set minimum requirements for SROs, so the Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training Board developed an SRO curriculum. Before then, some departments offered extensive specialized training, others relied on a 90-minute video describing some of the problems they could encounter on the job. Some departments didn’t even do that.
Most States Don’t Train School Cops to Deal With Kids

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back