Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated Side note: there were multiple stabbings in VA on the AT last night. My friends are ok, but it happened within earshot of them. (No comments pls bc don’t want to side track. Trying to give perspective on how the AT is very “save yourself” in many ways and how MH could easily have been overlooked/ignored if ill in his tent.)
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy - Trail Updates

Last edited:
Unrelated Side note: there were multiple stabbings in VA on the AT last night. My friends are ok, but it happened within earshot of them. (No comments pls bc don’t want to side track. Trying to give perspective on how the AT is very “save yourself” in many ways and how MH could easily have been overlooked/ignored if ill in his tent.)
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy - Trail Updates

So scary! I made a separate thread in the Crimes forum to discuss:
VA - Man Attacked Hikers with Machete on Appalachian Trail, May 2019 *Arrest*

I'm glad your friends are ok!

Significant weight loss can transform someone's appearance drastically (IMO). That I agree with. Being a thru-hiker would also make most, who are a healthy weight to begin with, lose. I cannot imagine what kind of calories one burns. Understanding nutrition and how prolonged physical activity might impact your health would be crucial. Going with that, maybe he's not being recognized by the pics circulating of him because he did lose a significant amount of weight. Of course, I'm not speaking to his shocking weight at death (83 pounds, I think).

Significant weight loss can transform someone's appearance drastically (IMO). That I agree with. Being a thru-hiker would also make most, who are a healthy weight to begin with, lose. I cannot imagine what kind of calories one burns. Understanding nutrition and how prolonged physical activity might impact your health would be crucial. Going with that, maybe he's not being recognized by the pics circulating of him because he did lose a significant amount of weight. Of course, I'm not speaking to his shocking weight at death (83 pounds, I think).

That could be, but LE checked all the records of missing people....faces don't matter, body fat or slim doesn't matter that much..it's the DNA, teeth match etc. that counts.....coming up with the rule outs....totally not understandable....what is going on.....? Ok...MH is not in the missing persons regular system....then it could be a thing to consider.....

@Bit of hope I didn't clarify but I meant maybe that's why his family or friends have not recognized pics of him, if they did in fact see any that circulated on-line.

I do however believe a significant weight loss theory as to why he hasn't been identified by loved ones is SUPER low on the list.

I think a person with substantial weight loss would show clear signs at autopsy. Especially if he lost that weight in the previous year or 2. At his age I would expect to see stretch marks on his skin, sagging skin (depending on the amount of weight lost and length of time he spent as an obese man) Don't you all think? Did we have any information to believe he was incredibly obese or just 15lbs over weight? I believe there is a difference IMOO. I would tell ppl I just lost a lot of weight if I lost 15-20lbs & I'd go from a size 8/10 to a 2/4 done it before, thats huge to me. But other ppl hear that & think of weight loss of 80-100lbs. I'm just expecting MH wasn't reported missing at all yet. Or, he doesn't have much family. 1 day I will open thread and see his sister or cousin finally reported him missing. Maybe even an old gf wondering about him. The lineat scar on his chest? Could it be skin removal after weight loss?

That could be, but LE checked all the records of missing people....faces don't matter, body fat or slim doesn't matter that much..it's the DNA, teeth match etc. that counts.....coming up with the rule outs....totally not understandable....what is going on.....? Ok...MH is not in the missing persons regular system....then it could be a thing to consider.....

LE has not checked all the records of missing people. They have ran a scan in the databases. If what they have on MH doesn't match, the scan will bypass the profile. However, not every profile in the databases have DNA, dental or fingerprints. Some missing persons are listed as blue eyes and have brown, some are listed as 6ft and are actually 5'10 . It is my understanding that the LE is still waiting on MH DNA...if so, all they have run is height, eye color, dental and fingerprints. Again if the information entered into the profiles are incorrect or are missing information the scan will bypass the profile.

While NamUS is a national database, not every LE in every town, city and state put missing people in it. They advertise it in the paper, tv or facebook and then it fades away unless a family or friend keeps the public in the know.

Snipped
I think a person with substantial weight loss would show clear signs at autopsy. Especially if he lost that weight in the previous year or 2. At his age I would expect to see stretch marks on his skin, sagging skin (depending on the amount of weight lost and length of time he spent as an obese man) Don't you all think?

We don't know if he had sagging skin or stretch marks. The face is more elastic and tends to tighten as the weight is lost. Not all people who lose weight will have saggy skin or stretch marks...even if it is a lot of weight

I totally agree with you. The thing is if you are really looking for your missing spouse, would you have missed that....don't recognize the face....It's possible but what are the odds...

What are the odds that they have seen the photo?

From the onset the LE put out he most likely lived in New York and was possibly from Louisiana. Most likely not many people in Montana shared the photo because of this..same with the other 47 states (Florida did because he died there)

What are the odds that they have seen the photo?

From the onset the LE put out he most likely lived in New York and was possibly from Louisiana. Most likely not many people in Montana shared the photo because of this..same with the other 47 states (Florida did because he died there)

I live in a NYC suburb... I frequent sites like WS and Reddit... and didn’t come across his pic/case until a few weeks ago. Not every UID will be a Grateful doe case, solved by a former friend seeing a pic/sketch of the UID on imgur, ya know? FWIW, I am also not convinced he’s from Brooklyn. Jmo

Good find Coffee56!--says he has brown eyes but I am in still on the rail about MH eyes..in death the eyes can lose the color..in life we only photos to go by..Here is another photo of Daniel

view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members