Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #101

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Delphi friends and family say that they don't know everyone in town, either. I think the whole "it's a small town so everyone knows each other" is mostly a myth now. Perhaps decades ago when your entire life (work, socialization, shopping, dining, & school) revolved around your small town, that was true, but we've been slowly sliding away from that for the past 30 years. Now people drive to other towns and counties to eat. People commute to other places for work. Not everyone goes to church. We shop off the internet. Many of our friends are people we only know online. It's entirely possible to live in a small place and still see people you don't know every day.

Thank you for posting this...I agree. People at one time were required interact. Because of the changes in communication and electronics you could potentially...not realistically but potentially live most of your life and not leave your home. You can work from home...attend church from home...shop from home...and communicate with family and friends be them friends in the traditional sense or "online friends".

I do believe the "small town" idea still works to the point that families are pretty familiar with other families that have been in the community for many years. For those who are new to the area or travel through for work, they are really only familiar to those to get out and are active in the community whether its for work/church/school/or public servants (police/ems).

Please people do NOT put out rumours like this. The idea that one of them was pregnant is old and there is NO evidence for that claim. Rumours like this hurt the families and the reputation of the victims.

SBM

I agree, Vinrah. That was a horrible rumor based on some creative writing that a blogger (whose blog has since been shut down by the platform) started almost 2 years ago. It had no basis in fact. There are literally zero facts out there that would point to that story being anything but a rumor-and a hurtful one at that. The families addressed it at the time. It bordered on defamation of character of the girls.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this...I agree. People at one time were required interact. Because of the changes in communication and electronics you could potentially...not realistically but potentially live most of your life and not leave your home. You can work from home...attend church from home...shop from home...and communicate with family and friends be them friends in the traditional sense or "online friends".

I do believe the "small town" idea still works to the point that families are pretty familiar with other families that have been in the community for many years. For those who are new to the area or travel through for work, they are really only familiar to those to get out and are active in the community whether its for work/church/school/or public servants (police/ems).

We had our town's local festival a couple of weeks ago and I'm always a vendor at it. It amazes me how, year after year, I can sit there for 2 days straight and people watch and not recognize so many people. Although I see many people who I actually know (our joke is that if you sit there long enough, all your friends will pass by at least twice), but I see hundreds of people I swear I've never seen before. I'll assume they drove in from out of town but when I ask them where they're from, they'll almost always answer, "Here." I turned to my husband this year and asked, "Where the heck are all these people coming from?" (I won't quote him,but suffice to say that "under a rock" was part of it.)With Abby and Libby being teens, I think it's even more likely that they're mostly familiar with the people who orbit their own circles (school, family, family friends, relatives, church).

If BG were actually someone well known in the community then it stands to reason that at least one of the people at the park that day would have recognized him.

Just a comment about being agile in this... when psychopaths kill they get such an insane adrenaline rush, that kind of thing can give you super athletic strength and skill you wouldn’t normally have.

Just using myself as a point of reference, I think BG's potential "lack of agility" is a total nonfactor in considering whether he could pull this off.

I'm in my mid 30s, 5'8" ~190 (and I think if I put up a picture of myself, most would agree my physique matches BG closely), I don't have any musculature to speak of but I am very coordinated and relatively agile at that size.

Not to continue to harp on the same things over and over but I rewatched the PC and I cant help but feel very strongly that those words were directed toward someone specific. You can really tell that he has having to continuously breathe and focus his emotions. That feeling we all know when your emotions are high your heart is pounding and your adrenaline is peaking.

I take all of this as a good sign. I hope and pray this closure is brought to the family and the community soon.

We had our town's local festival a couple of weeks ago and I'm always a vendor at it. It amazes me how, year after year, I can sit there for 2 days straight and people watch and not recognize so many people. Although I see many people who I actually know (our joke is that if you sit there long enough, all your friends will pass by at least twice), but I see hundreds of people I swear I've never seen before. I'll assume they drove in from out of town but when I ask them where they're from, they'll almost always answer, "Here." I turned to my husband this year and asked, "Where the heck are all these people coming from?" (I won't quote him,but suffice to say that "under a rock" was part of it.)With Abby and Libby being teens, I think it's even more likely that they're mostly familiar with the people who orbit their own circles (school, family, family friends, relatives, church).

If BG were actually someone well known in the community then it stands to reason that at least one of the people at the park that day would have recognized him.

This is an excellent example of the thought I was trying to express.

Great post!

Historically, Delphi was an agricultural and livestock community. The farmers would have relied on each other for help as well as friendship.

Over the years, the citizens would have known one another's families.

Culture and dynamics of this community, as others have, would have changed and evolved into a different picture.

Many would have more contact with further communities for school or work and might not even know who lives three houses down the street.

Touché’ :)

For me there’s an edge and raspiness and not particularly the depth, and I know, people can say smoking and everything. I hear ya!! Good conversation and points of contention, no doubt! :) It certainly will be interesting to see how this all plays out when this monster is arrested!

I wish whoever commented on “vocal fry” of NK in CW’s threads could comment here.

Bottom line, I thought that it was the voice of a chronic smoker, then realized that if the person had mere flu with laryngitis (February!), it was enough to hear it.

Then I remembered several genetic conditions when kids already had raspy voices. I am not implying BG has any of these, but simply, young people can have raspy voices because genes make them speak so.

Also, totally unrelated - I know a woman from those parts of the country who speaks like this, too. Makes me wonder if vocal fry is more common in IN, after all?

And also - I can name a few singers, from different European countries, who spoke 100% normally, but sang in raspy voices as it was the style. Starting with Jacques Brel, and ending with one exceptionally popular in my mother country. Maybe they all mimicked Brel, as he was the father of French chanson.

My point is, if people can “drop” a voice that much for singing, one could do it easier for mere speech.

Example - a song by ZAZ. Very popular. I listened to her speech - it has a tad of raspiness; However, if you can sing like this, surely someone can speak this way?

Last edited:
I wish whoever commented on “vocal fry” of NK in CW’s threads could comment here.

Bottom line, I thought that it was the voice of a chronic smoker, then realized that if the person had mere flu with laryngitis (February!), it was enough to hear it.

Then I remembered several genetic conditions when kids already had raspy voices. I am not implying BG has any of these, but simply, young people can have raspy voices because genes make them speak so.

Also, totally unrelated - I know a woman from those parts of the country who speaks like this, too. Makes me wonder if vocal fry is more common in IN, after all?

And also - I can name a few singers, from different European countries, who spoke 100% normally, but sang in raspy voices as it was the style. Starting with Jacques Brel, and ending with one exceptionally popular in my mother country. Maybe they all mimicked Brel, as he was the father of French chanson.

My point is, if people can “drop” a voice that much for singing, one could do it easier for mere speech.

Example - a song by ZAZ. Very popular. I listened to her speech - it has a tad of raspiness; However, if you can sing like this, surely someone can speak this way?

Definitely possible...and interesting idea.

Curious though if he would have felt the need to change his voice. He made no effort to conceal his face...so if they were going to recognize him they would have whether he changed his voice or not. and there is no obvious reason to believe he knew he was being recorded..

When all is said and done though when someone is not in their right mind they do things they normally wouldn't. maybe he felt more comfortable being in this other "character" and acting out the things that were in his mind....the human mind is a complex thing!!

BBM I agree that feeling won't leave me either. The girls knew the man enough to cooperate because if they didn't we would have heard them rebelling "going down the hill" MOO

Not if he had a gun or other weapon.

Full grown women often quietly submit to their abductors out of fear. Why would we expect two kids to do something different?

Or he was pointing a gun at them and they feared for their lives.

I think it does a disservice to the girls and verges on victim blaming when we say what we think they should've done. It is easy enough for us, sitting here in the safety of our homes and with hindsight, to say that they would've fought back or rebelled. In that particular moment, however, and them being actual children we can't say with authority what they would've or would not have done.

I don’t think they are victim blaming or saying they should’ve resisted. I think they were trying to rationalize why they wouldn't have resisted. If you know someone and aren’t expecting them to kill you you aren’t going to make a fuss.

<modsnip - off topic>

Another unrelated theory of mine - if the perp is truly from Delphi environs, he probably looks like 50% of men there. If your ancestors lived in the town for 200 years, you end up being at least fourth cousin to everyone there, and maybe, third. It is not inbreeding, merely, natural course of events.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think they are victim blaming or saying they should’ve resisted. I think they were trying to rationalize why they wouldn't have resisted. If you know someone and aren’t expecting them to kill you you aren’t going to make a fuss.

My point is that recognizing someone isn't the only reason why they may not have fought back or "rebelled." A weapon and threat could have also been used. The whole "they went 'down the hill' with him without fighting back or rebelling so they must have known their murderer" is not a solid argument IMO.

As @gitana1 said (after me): Full grown women often quietly submit to their abductors out of fear. Why would we expect two kids to do something different?

See my post about Jacques Brel. (He had an interesting bite, btw). But modern HD reformatting could remove the raspiness from his voice, so the technology is there.

Some people (singers) can switch it on-off. I can name a few.

Good post Charlot...and I agree. Hope you don't think I was trying to discount your idea. I was just trying to rationalize in my mind why he would have felt the need to do so. In the end what he was about to do is reason enough.

Good post Charlot...and I agree. Hope you don't think I was trying to discount your idea. I was just trying to rationalize in my mind why he would have felt the need to do so. In the end what he was about to do is reason enough.

This is why I wonder if he is smarter than we think. One of his scenarios could have been, what if one escapes? She should not be able to recognize my voice...

My point is that recognizing someone isn't the only reason why they may not have fought back or "rebelled." A weapon and threat could have also been used. The whole "they went 'down the hill' with him without fighting back or rebelling so they must have known their murderer" is not a solid argument IMO.

As @gitana1 said (after me): Full grown women often quietly submit to their abductors out of fear. Why would we expect two kids to do something different?

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around there being no screams heard or anything of that nature. Being broad daylight....and in a familiar area where they knew that other people frequent I don't think they truly believed this man would do what he was about to do. Fortunately with the video/audio recovered by LE. I don't think this is one of the unanswered questions for LE. The big question that they are needing to answer is not "Where, How, When...but Who and Why"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken