OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday, May 13th:
*Pretrial & Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (38). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – Only for *Edward Jacob "Jake" Wagner (26) (former boyfriend of Hanna) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/27/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count conspiracy, 4 counts aggravated burglary, 1 count unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts evidence tampering, 1 count forgery, 1 count unauthorized use of property, 1 count interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count obstructing justice, 1 count engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity & unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. (He’s accused of engaging in sexual contact with Hanna Rhoden when she was 15 & he was 20). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
11/27/18: Arraignment hearing: Plead not guilty to all 23 charges. No bond per Judge. Defense asks to waive Speedy trial, granted by Judge. Next pretrial hearings on 12/20 & 1/24/19.
12/20/18 Update: Jake may appear in street clothes but Court asked Sheriffs office to tell him what types of restraints are available for use in court. Motion to restrain Jake from discussing Case with parties not covered under gag order deferred to Jan 24,2019. Extension of time to file pretrial motions is partially granted pending Court being informed of discovery process. Next hearing on 1/24/19.
1/24/19 Update: Defense files 5 motions (6-10). Next pretrial hearing on 4/4.
4/4/19 Update: State's memo in opposition to Defense's motion to restrain certain parties from discussing the case w/accused (Motion #5) was filed. Waived speedy trial filed. Agreed entry granting Defense's Motion (#5). Filing motions related to the evidence — which Judge Randy Deering refers to as substantive motions — by Sept. 1 for Defense & prosecutors must file responses to those motions by Sept. 16. Next Pretrial hearing on 5/13.
*George Washington Wagner III – Pretrial hearing on 5/15 & Motions hearing on 9/17.
*Angela Jo Wagner – Pretrial hearing on 5/16. Discovery hearing 9/16.
*George Washington Wagner IV - Next pretrial hearing on 5/23.
*Rita Jo Newcomb - Pretrial hearing on 6/14. Trial is scheduled for July 8–11.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner – Pretrial hearing on 6/26. Trial scheduled for 7/29 thru 8/2.

What else could they have to turn over? I suppose info from the Ebay receipts. Angela Canepa did imply there was more to the charge than Angela getting mixed up over where she purchased the BPVs. I wonder what it is? Does it have something to do with what she told LE when they searched her home that day?

I wonder if the witness overheard something about the items taken "from the bedfast man" - because Fred seems like one given to verbal criticism, and would be outspoken about stuff they took from GWjr's person - maybe she called the court to complain and the witness took the call.

I'm puzzling - given the character of her outrage in the Plain Dealer interview and how her 'voice' is apparent in how her counsel is presenting... It just seems like something odd must have occurred, and spoken of in town, then LM specifically mentioned it.

Why would he have known anything about what LE had collected during the searches? - JMO -

I agree. And IMO, Owen is desperately grasping at straws because he knows FW is sinking deeper in evidence every day. JMO.

...and what if AC did subpoena the EBay records, and the response showed the receipts weren't authenticated - could that set FW or her counsel up for fraud?

I'm wondering why the BPVs would be important, anyway, unless there's additional evidence on them linking one or both to this - or another crime. If so, that evidence wouldn't necessarily be released to FW's attorneys unless the evidence implicates her as one of the perps - which we think she is not.

So it may be, as speculated earlier, that FW is trying to get the prosecution to play their hand, to show the W4 what's known about the items seized. The W4 may not even know the BPVs are in play.

JMO

Do you think he's the weak link maybe? He's charge with killing 8 people , it couldn't be his last hearing yet right? I'd have to ask what the heck is his lawyer thinking?
I think Loomis meant that Owens was seen at the most recent pretrial hearing for Billy - not that Billy has had his last hearing before trial - in fact, I think he's got another pretrial scheduled next week.

Thanks Loomis, Those answers my questions with a big, yes indeed they could charge FW with other things, as they go through the other W's trials, if appropriate. Good articles!

Maybe these charges were brought to keep her under control. Under house arrest, they can keep her from destroying more evidence that there may be and professing the family's innocence. After that interview, I think she will be under a gag order. I can't believe she can't be charged with something for that interview.

Do you think he's the weak link maybe? He's charge with killing 8 people , it couldn't be his last hearing yet right? I'd have to ask what the heck is his lawyer thinking?

Owens may have been there trying to find out what they have for evidence and also checking out the judge to see his demeanor toward the defendants....

I meant it was his last hearing to date. All 4 are charged with murder and will have many more hearings before the trials begin. JMO. I apologize for the confusion.

Maybe these charges were brought to keep her under control. Under house arrest, they can keep her from destroying more evidence that there may be and professing the family's innocence. After that interview, I think she will be under a gag order. I can't believe she can't be charged with something for that interview.

IMO, Owens' professional conduct has been called to the carpet - at the end of FW's most pretrial right after the Plain Dealer interview, Owens wanted to address that, but Judge Deering said now was not the time. There may be sanctions coming on him. If the interview was intended to obstruct justice, IMO she could be charged later.

...and what if AC did subpoena the EBay records, and the response showed the receipts weren't authenticated - could that set FW or her counsel up for fraud?

I'm wondering why the BPVs would be important, anyway, unless there's additional evidence on them linking one or both to this - or another crime. If so, that evidence wouldn't necessarily be released to FW's attorneys unless the evidence implicates her as one of the perps - which we think she is not.

So it may be, as speculated earlier, that FW is trying to get the prosecution to play their hand, to show the W4 what's known about the items seized. The W4 may not even know the BPVs are in play.

JMO

I would have to go back and look at the exhibits of the purchases, but it seemed to me to be mostly search records for the items. What do you all think about the receipts presented from FW and Owen? TIA

Reader and Junk have a war of words going on and it is getting nasty. I hope BCI and AC can work around this since they have had the lead on the investigation since day one.
Junk has pretty much said Reader's and a key witness' testimony could be or will be impeachable.
Putting that out in public is ridiculous.
They were both posting on Facebook so it can't be linked here.

Is Junk on FW's payroll? He seems to be trying to derail the case against the Wagners...
I believe that FW knows things on all political in her area and she is working behind the scene to get her family free, she is the type of person that will use every dirty trick she can, if she knows anything on the judge, prosecutors attorney or the sheriff it will come to light, how do all of the people reading this think they got rich and has stayed out of jail. JMO but I think Mr Junk and Mr Owens are in bed together with FW she is the Big Boss that calls all the shots, and IMO she has pulled all the strings to keep s certain politicians in office for many years, and JMO if the sheriff before Reader was still in power than FW would have made sure that her family stayed out of jail and never be charge for the Rhodens Family Murders.

I believe that FW knows things on all political in her area and she is working behind the scene to get her family free, she is the type of person that will use every dirty trick she can, if she knows anything on the judge, prosecutors attorney or the sheriff it will come to light, how do all of the people reading this think they got rich and has stayed out of jail. JMO but I think Mr Junk and Mr Owens are in bed together with FW she is the Big Boss that calls all the shots, and IMO she has pulled all the strings to keep s certain politicians in office for many years, and JMO if the sheriff before Reader was still in power than FW would have made sure that her family stayed out of jail and never be charge for the Rhodens Family Murders.
Google Image Result for https://www.cleveland.com/resizer/zdxvtHRX5GOBdV070uxy6Bnc9kA=/600x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-advancelocal.s3.amazonaws.com/public/TJYY6OOHLJCLDA46ZZ4LGS4LQ4.jpg

That obstruction of justice could possibly be that she manipulated the evidence in someway to cover up?

The prosecution took one thing Fred did and turned it into 2 charges. Not sure I agree with it but prosecutors like to pile on charges just for one offense to see what sticks and to get defendants to take a plea deal.

Fred is alleged to have lied about the bullet proof vests so this has been made into 2 charges. A Perjury charge for lying under oath, and an Obstructing Justice charge because her lying to the GJ is a way for her to cover up the facts and so she is obstructing an investigation.

With 2 charges being brought against her it gives her room to take a plea. She could ask to have the worst charge dropped which is Perjury, a 3rd degree felony, then plead guilty to Obstructing Justice which is a 5th degree felony. If the prosecution recommended no jail time, then it might be a good deal. But it's my understanding that the Judge still could give jail time.

But Fred can't take a plea. It would ruin her reputation. The only way for her to clear her name is to win at trial. Also, she needed to get her side across to the public and that's what she did with Owen at her house with the interviews.

Owen being in court for Billy's last hearing means, to me, that Fred is getting legal advice from him on the Wagner 4's cases. After her trial is over maybe she will hire Owen to assist with a Wagner 4 's death penalty trial. Owen assisting the DP attorneys, not taking their place. Only speculation on my part.

....My 2 Cents....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members