Found Deceased AL - Danniella Vian, 24, Mobile, 17 Jul 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
But could the disabling be done accidentally by just reaching around under the dashboard?

Late to the game and probably already answered, but in my experience, yes it can be. I guess it would depend on what type of GPS it was, but we have one for our teenage daughter and before we hardwired it, it was just plug in type and if she were to hit it with her leg, it would disable and we would receive notification via text that the system may have been tampered with.

If you are a Grandparent raising a Grandchild, you can draw a monthly SS check of approx.$900+ on them until the age of 18. I do not know if you have to have legal custody of the child, though.....moo

Survivor's benefits are based on the deceased parent's earnings history, the parent has to have had qualified earnings over a certain number of quarters. There isn't an automatic eligibility or standard benefit amount for SSS. The amount of the benefit is a percentage of the parent's average earnings over that period of time.

Late to the game and probably already answered, but in my experience, yes it can be. I guess it would depend on what type of GPS it was, but we have one for our teenage daughter and before we hardwired it, it was just plug in type and if she were to hit it with her leg, it would disable and we would receive notification via text that the system may have been tampered with.
I am pretty sure we've been told that the kind in DNV's car was just the plug in type.

So theoretically, if she's fumbling around in her vehicle looking for her phone, she could have accidentally disabled it by jostling it.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure we've been told that the kind in DNV's car was just the plug in type.

So theoretically, if she's fumbling around in her vehicle looking for her phone, she could have accidentally disabled it by jostling it.

I was always curious about this because from what we know it was installed by the dealer. Would the dealer install one that was so easy to disable. I called the dealer myself and they confirmed the use trackers in their cars when they provide financing. I could not find out what type of tracker. I think the fellow started getting suspicious of me or maybe my northern accent.

I was always curious about this because from what we know it was installed by the dealer. Would the dealer install one that was so easy to disable. I called the dealer myself and they confirmed the use trackers in their cars when they provide financing. I could not find out what type of tracker. I think the fellow started getting suspicious of me or maybe my northern accent.

Right?! If they're putting a GPS in a car when financed, we can assume it's so they can locate the car if the customer stops paying and it needs to be repossessed. How effective would a plug in GPS be? JMO but not very effective at all. What's to stop someone from giving up on their car payment, unplugging the GPS, and taking that car wherever you want?

Right?! If they're putting a GPS in a car when financed, we can assume it's so they can locate the car if the customer stops paying and it needs to be repossessed. How effective would a plug in GPS be? JMO but not very effective at all. What's to stop someone from giving up on their car payment, unplugging the GPS, and taking that car wherever you want?

In the beginning we were told it was OnStar, plug-in, etc. I do not recall ever hearing a definite, except from JDT, but even she flipflopped on what type of GPS was installed.

I would think they'd use something more complex too, but at the same time, they also have your name, address, social security number, where you work, and all of your information... so if you did disable it and go MIA, they could find you, find your loved ones, and if they can't find you, they could file a stolen vehicle report, destroy your credit, sue you, and so forth.

ETA: They probably also have some sort of insurance for things like that. Just like if someone stole a car off of the lot.

Last edited:
Perusing past MSM, pulling forth things that strike my interest:

Reporter: "According to police, she was captured on surveillance video leaving, but where she went next is still a mystery."
JDT: "Homicide is looking into that. They said they may have some more footage of her, but they're not willing to give anymore information of that, so we really don't have a starting point to look."​

I would think they'd use something more complex too, but at the same time, they also have your name, address, social security number, where you work, and all of your information... so if you did disable it and go MIA, they could find you, find your loved ones, and if they can't find you, they could file a stolen vehicle report, destroy your credit, sue you, and so forth.

Car dealers have all the information with or without a GPS Tracking but lots use GPS so they must think it is worth putting them on cars. I believe part of the tracking device allows the dealer to turn off the car if payment is late (some states are banning this because it can be dangerous if someone is driving when it happens) so I would not think car dealers would want the owner to be able to disable this so easily. We do not know what type of tracker, it has not been confirmed -MOO.

Car dealers have all the information with or without a GPS Tracking but lots use GPS so they must think it is worth putting them on cars. I believe part of the tracking device allows the dealer to turn off the car if payment is late (some states are banning this because it can be dangerous if someone is driving when it happens) so I would not think car dealers would want the owner to be able to disable this so easily. We do not know what type of tracker, it has not been confirmed -MOO.
BBM - Because ideally they'd just get the car back. A lot less hassle.

ETA: I would imagine if it were the kind that could turn the car off, it'd have definitely been hardwired in some way. I've seen used dealerships use both kinds. I hope LE releases the information on the GPS. I'd really like a firm answer on what type it was.

With two jobs, planned visits with her daughter, buying a car and going out with friends, I think that she was missed by several people. The problem was that they were not related and could not report her missing.

Danni's friend found her phone and knew that something was wrong when she didn't show up to meet him. When the ex-boyfriend's mother told him to leave the phone at a restaurant, he did not. On Friday he contacted the ex-boyfriend's mother and told her that he was going to the police station to turn in the phone. That resulted in the ex-boyfriend's mother agreeing to meet him at the police station.

On Friday, he was ensuring that Danni was reported missing as of Tuesday shortly after 11PM.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

Alright, I already took one for the team and emailed the Lagniappe reporter. Somebody else's turn. Your mission: head on down to Pearl Motors, buy you a new car, and report back on what type of GPS they stick in it. ;)

Alright, I already took one for the team and emailed the Lagniappe reporter. Somebody else's turn. Your mission: head on down to Pearl Motors, buy you a new car, and report back on what type of GPS they stick in it. ;)
I'd be happy to swing by Pearl Motors and negotiate on a new, used car asking all the right questions re GPS. However 1260 miles one-way is about 1200 miles more than I like to drive.:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @TAM121 . This is the first response I believe. First time I've heard how easy it can be to disable a plug-in GPS. Sounds like a definite possibility DNV accidentally disconnected the GPS while searching in her vehicle for cell phone. Big question: Was her's plug-in or hard-wire?

If hers was the kind connected to the ignition, would it being disabled have made the car inoperable? Would you have to take your dash apart and rewire your ignition? Anybody know car stuff? Could that be done in the time frame the cars were at the gas station?

If hers was the kind connected to the ignition, would it being disabled have made the car inoperable? Would you have to take your dash apart and rewire your ignition? Anybody know car stuff? Could that be done in the time frame the cars were at the gas station?

Yes, could it be done from within the car. Because if not I think we could conclude it was not connected to the ignition, right? I know the video footage we have seen was grainy but I would think if someone opened the hood of the car, that would have been seen by LE? MOO
I will call again and see if I can find out if they use plug in or hardwired. Ha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member