Found Deceased TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Houston, 5 May 2019 #5 *STEPDAD ARRESTED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Mom ever threatened to out DV in his community when she found him sending nudes to men. That would be a problem to someone like him. If that's even true. Just a random idea with no further thought as to how it fits or doesnt. As I've said I can't make heads or tails out of this obvious fable they've both told.

Steve Campion on Twitter
MILLION DOLLAR BOND? Forget it! A judge JUST LOWERED Derion Vence's bond to 45,000 dollars. Houston, do you have any feelings about this? #MaleahDavis #abc13 #hounews #BREAKING
1:34 PM - 13 May 2019

KHOU 11 News Houston on Twitter
BREAKING: #MaleahDavis stepfather's bond lowered from $1 million to $45,000, court records show
1:38 PM - 13 May 2019

This is the last known photo of missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis
Updated: 1:36 PM CDT May 13, 2019
HOUSTON — **UPDATE: Derion Vence's bond has been reduced from nearly $1 million to $45,000, court records show as of Monday afternoon**

[...]
Ughhhhhh. Should have made it No Bond.

Yes. Clearly Maleah Davis is dead. And there is evidence that one or both of the adults at that apartment were concealing evidence of her death.

But the Manner of her death is not yet clear and the charging documents have to get to be more specific, somehow

Natural? Accidental? Poison? Drug Intoxication? Manslaughter? Homicide? Premeditated Murder?

LE has to sift through whatever evidence and testimony they can validate to make the charges stick

BBM - I totally agree with you.

The blood evidence found in the apartment (reported in the probable cause affidavit) rules out a few possibilities listed in your above post.

In particular, the blood evidence that was revealed when the luminol was applied indicates that there was an attempt to clean up the crime scene. That tells me that there was much more blood present at the scene (which was cleaned up with the bleach) and that it was undoubtedly a very violent crime scene (ahhhhh - my heart breaks typing those words - poor precious baby! I hate this!).

Based on the info in the affidavit, and the activities and preposterous statements (lies) of DV following the last time Maleah was seen alive on the neighbor's video camera, and based on Maleah's father's statement that he was refused access to his daughter when he asked to see her, I believe beyond a reasonable doubt that little Maleah died at the hands of an adult entrusted to her care and I don't believe for a single, solitary second that Maleah's death was accidental.

Last edited:
This woman is something else. The newest video with her (mother) only makes me doubt all her statements even more. I can't build a reliable scenario in my mind that relies on her statements. Any part of them. I can only imagine what she's left out on top of wondering what is true and lies. She has done so much harm, likely lot of which we aren't aware of yet.

Shes not creditable

Ughhhhhh. Should have made it No Bond.

Is he not entitled to the same bond as any other person with the same charge? I thought perhaps the $45k was standard protocol & the judge went with it. I don’t think a judge could say “I think more charges are pending so we’ll leave you at one mill’.”
Just hoping no one puts money up. Moo

I wonder if Mom ever threatened to out DV in his community when she found him sending nudes to men. That would be a problem to someone like him. If that's even true. Just a random idea with no further thought as to how it fits or doesnt. As I've said I can't make heads or tails out of this obvious fable they've both told.
I give all her statements about DV a 50/50 chance of being true and NOT because I think he's a saint.

I absolutely agree. I do not know what statement is true or not at this time. We've spent a good deal of time discussing a sexual abuse angle, because it's very likely. But I was just thinking about other items she brought up. Ultimately though, I think everything she says so far has as much worth as anything DV has said. More info will come.

This is the closest I've seen - from the Criminal Complaint.

"The defendant stated and your affiant has verified via flight records that on Tuesday, April 30, 2019, the defendant's girlfriend/Bowens left the state via airplane and was set to return on May 3, 2019, leaving defendant to care for the children."
"Was set to return"

She has no flight records for her actual return?

I give all her statements about DV a 50/50 chance of being true and NOT because I think he's a saint.

I tend to believe what was said. Only because she had zero to gain if true or not.
I think there is a reason MD was kept home from daycare & that reason is something would have been discovered that would have landed DV right where he is now. Jmo

Is he not entitled to the same bond as any other person with the same charge? I thought perhaps the $45k was standard protocol & the judge went with it. I don’t think a judge could say “I think more charges are pending so we’ll leave you at one mill’.”

It’s what we want vs what can legally be done. I curiously wonder who he’s talked to since he’s been in there.

Mother Of Maleah Davis Heckled After Canceled Court Hearing | Houston Public Media

The mother of a missing 4-year-old Texas girl was heckled outside a courtroom on Monday by people who questioned if she had done enough to protect her daughter before her disappearance.

Brittany Bowens, Maleah Davis’s mother, along with her spokesman, community activist Quanell X, showed up for a scheduled court hearing for Derion Vence, her former fiance who is charged in connection with the girl’s disappearance. The hearing was canceled, though, and Vence’s next hearing was scheduled for July 10. His attorney didn’t immediately reply to calls seeking comment.

Thank goodness that's cleared up!
From the article:

A funeral home administrator said that a memorial service for Benjamin Bowens was held on April 27 and that it was organized and conducted privately by Benjamin Bowens' family. The administrator could not confirm who attended that service.
The administrator went on to further clarify that a separate burial was held on Wednesday, May 1.
The administrator did confirm that Brittany Bowens and her sister both attended the burial.
Houston police have confirmed via flight records that Brittany Bowens flew to Massachusetts on April 30 and returned to Houston May 3, the night before Maleah was reported missing.
Quanell X, who is serving as Brittany Bowens’ spokesman, said she did not attend the memorial service on April 27, but she did attend the funeral on May 1.
*EDITOR'S NOTE: KHOU 11 published a story early Monday that indicated that Brittany Bowens attended the funeral for her father on April 27, per Harrell Funeral Home owner Ron Harold. That date is inaccurate. She attended her father's burial on May 1.

Agree. Also, if funeral home saying service was 4/27–perhaps BB skipped any religious functions and attended only the interment a few days later. Or funeral home quoted wrong date to reporter. I recall no service dates provided in the obituary on their website. MOO

Yes - mystery solved!

I believe this happens often - especially with blended families. Very likely that weekend services included decedent's current family unit, and his adult daughters attended his burial only on May 1.

This is very true. Bail cannot be excessive. And despite how we all feel, $1 Mill is excessive for the facts and charge in this case.

Here’s the court video of DV's first appearance. The judge states why she set bail at $1M. So, what changed?
I also noticed DV states he plans to hire an attorney to represent him, but he wanted the court appointed attorney to represent him at that hearing.

(It’s not the first video, scroll down the page for the second video)
Bond set for suspect in Maleah Davis' disappearance

Last edited:
This has been discussed many times. It’s not uncommon for services to happen weeks after a death. Many times it’s to allow family to make arrangements to attend from out of state.
Yes, it is uncommon - commonly funerals happen within a few days to a week after death. Even with embalming the body will start to decompose after that.

I'd still like to know the date of the actual funeral.

I am trying to catch up in this thread but its moving at lightning speed.
Pure speculation- I have a hard time believing the sexual abuse. I'm sure MD has been seen by numerous doctors due to her previous injury. Wouldn't they have noticed, especially at her age?? And with CPS involved- I'm thinking maybe DV and BB were fighting and she got caught in the middle. Pure speculation. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member