The Innocence Project and Darlie Routier

What do you all think about the Innocense Project accepting Darlie's case? All I can say that if they help prove Darlie is indeed innocent I will have a lot of crow to eat! I've believed her to be guilty for years but if they can prove me wrong I'm willing to admit I was wrong and offer my appologies. Just curious what everyone thought about them accepting her case after all of these years.

I have yet to see an official announcement that the IP has taken her case. Nor did I see any new evidence they have been screaming about in the program tonight. It was just a rehash of TLD. We were told they were going to announce it on 20/20 tonight but crickets.

But I did find out that Vanessa Podkin is joining Darlie's appellate team.

Interesting. I'd think if the DNA results were back msm would report on it, even if the results were sealed. The last I've seen in msm is from November 2018 reporting that testing is underway. Maybe her defense attorney is keeping it under wraps for now?

From your link:
"1. Postconviction - the trial and appeal are over and final. If you have not yet been convicted and lost your appeals, we cannot help you. Please do not write to us for assistance until after you have been convicted and your appeals have been completed.

2. There is physical evidence that, if subjected to DNA testing, will prove that the defendant is actually innocent. This means that physical evidence was collected – for example blood, bodily fluids, clothing, hair – and if that evidence can be found and tested, the test will prove that the defendant could not have committed the crime. Examples of crimes where biological evidence can prove innocence include sexual assaults, homicides, assaults with close physical contact or a struggle and some robberies—where physical evidence was collected that was worn by or in contact with the actual perpetrator.

The Innocence Project does NOT review claims where DNA testing cannot prove innocence."

The WS member said Vanessa Potkin "signed on April 2" so does that mean Darlie is no longer seeking a new trial? The status as of June 2018 was that her attorneys had petitioned federal court:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ives-murder-conviction-appeal-featured-series
I'd feel a lot more comfortable if/when Potkin or another rep from the Innocence Project would publicly announce that they have taken on Darlie's case. It's nothing personal against member InDoubt558, I'm just accustomed to seeing msm links, especially with breaking news. It might also help if they would consider becoming verified.

Anyway, if the Innocence Project is taking Darlie's case then I welcome the investigation. I believe she did murder her children but new exculpatory evidence would certainly change my mind.

Cooper did say that the latest DNA test results were not "ground breaking" My own opinion is the tests are over and she's moving to the federal appeal. That's when they will run the bloody partial print through AFIS

I found this article. The reporter writing the article is also the author of a book called Dateline Purgatory: Examining the Case that Sentenced Darlie Routier to Death.
The New York Innocence Project, now convinced that an innocent woman is languishing on Texas Death Row, has joined forces with Routier’s appellate team: Steve Cooper and Richard Smith of Dallas and Richard Burr of Houston.
Vanessa Potkin, the Innocence Project’s director of post-conviction litigation, was involved in that project and is one of two Innocence Project lawyers who will now actively work the case. The other lawyer is Bryce Benjet.
Old Case, New Developments

Nothing about Darlie on their websites.
New York - Innocence Project
Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions!
Innocence Project

The site does say that they consult on appeals:
The Innocence Project represents clients seeking post-conviction DNA testing to prove their innocence. We also consult on a number of cases on appeal in which the defendant is represented by primary counsel and we provide information and background on DNA testing litigation.

I'm not clear on what Potkin and Benjet will contribute to Darlie's appeal. Wouldn't her current appellate team be well versed in DNA testing litigation?

I'll definitely be interested to see if there is dna to test or something. This is one case i could believe her to be innocent. I'm generally skeptical of these types of cases. I just feel like if there is dna and fingerprints that don't match the family. There is no history of mental health problems, or drug use. There weren't any affairs going on. By most accounts she was a loving mother and wife. Then getting into the 911 call, and her own wounds....idk. I think there was definitely reasonable doubt there....

I'll definitely be interested to see if there is dna to test or something. This is one case i could believe her to be innocent. I'm generally skeptical of these types of cases. I just feel like if there is dna and fingerprints that don't match the family. There is no history of mental health problems, or drug use. There weren't any affairs going on. By most accounts she was a loving mother and wife. Then getting into the 911 call, and her own wounds....idk. I think there was definitely reasonable doubt there....
Well... that's not totally accurate. Darlie tested positive for amphetamines at the hospital, likely to help her shed some pounds after having baby Drake. And according to her diary, in the weeks leading up to the murders she was experiencing depression and possibly some post partum issues. Her diary implied that at least at one point she considered suicide.

So IMO it's possible that the combination of speed and depression could have skewed Darlie's thinking. Certainly it's happened in other cases.

Well... that's not totally accurate. Darlie tested positive for amphetamines at the hospital, likely to help her shed some pounds after having baby Drake. And according to her diary, in the weeks leading up to the murders she was experiencing depression and possibly some post partum issues. Her diary implied that at least at one point she considered suicide.

So IMO it's possible that the combination of speed and depression could have skewed Darlie's thinking. Certainly it's happened in other cases.
I actually didnt know about amphetamines. That's interesting! I also do agree the diary isn't favorable for her either! The whole thing just kind of baffles me. And I am generally on the side of guilt! Especially in these particular kinds of cases! They are just so heartbreaking either way...

The IP is the latest of about 4 groups that have previously accepted this case and got nowhere. The evidence is overwhelming, unless you believe some unknown intruder entered the home by cutting the screen with a bread knife he previously removed from the home. Put the bread knife back and selected the murder weapon, attacked the children first, but applying only superficial wounds to the adult later, likely in the kitchen. Made Darlie put Darin's sock on her hand explaining how a substantial amount of her DNA ended up in the toe, and dipped it in the children's blood.

Went into the kitchen and cleaned the knife in the sink before noticing Damon was still alive, and finished him off. Raced to the Utility room with Darlie in tow. Opened the wine glass cabinet before tossing a glass out and knocking over the vacuum cleaner. Dropped the knife, exited the garage without leaving any trace of blood anywhere. Then he somehow avoided the unavoidable motion detectors that set off the floodlights for 17 minutes that are mounted on the redwood spa (not on when police arrived 3 minutes into the 911 call). Ran down the alley and laid the sock on the ground in an obvious visible area next to a garbage and storm drain where it could have been disposed of.

Meanwhile Darlie was inside walking around the kitchen leaving bloody footprints under the glass shards and under the vacuum cleaner while avoiding getting glass in her feet. Then calling 911 :)

I remember seeing the "silly string" birthday at the gravesite on TV back when it happened. I thought it made it obvious that she was guilty. Fast-forward 20 years; my husband passed away suddenly, at a young age. My behavior became SO bizarre I didn't even recognize myself. After several years, I now look back at the strange things I did and CAN'T believe it was ME!! I just watched Darlie's story on 20/20, I don't believe she killed those children. I KNOW the strange things people do when they're in shock and grief; I lived it. I don't think it's right that the biggest reason people believe she's guilty is because of the "silly string" incident. The one question I DO have is in the 911 tape. She keeps referring to "they", not "he". Anyone else notice that?

The IP is the latest of about 4 groups that have previously accepted this case and got nowhere. The evidence is overwhelming, unless you believe some unknown intruder entered the home by cutting the screen with a bread knife he previously removed from the home. Put the bread knife back and selected the murder weapon, attacked the children first, but applying only superficial wounds to the adult later, likely in the kitchen. Made Darlie put Darin's sock on her hand explaining how a substantial amount of her DNA ended up in the toe, and dipped it in the children's blood.

Went into the kitchen and cleaned the knife in the sink before noticing Damon was still alive, and finished him off. Raced to the Utility room with Darlie in tow. Opened the wine glass cabinet before tossing a glass out and knocking over the vacuum cleaner. Dropped the knife, exited the garage without leaving any trace of blood anywhere. Then he somehow avoided the unavoidable motion detectors that set off the floodlights for 17 minutes that are mounted on the redwood spa (not on when police arrived 3 minutes into the 911 call). Ran down the alley and laid the sock on the ground in an obvious visible area next to a garbage and storm drain where it could have been disposed of.

Meanwhile Darlie was inside walking around the kitchen leaving bloody footprints under the glass shards and under the vacuum cleaner while avoiding getting glass in her feet. Then calling 911 :)
Excellent post. You bring up a whole bunch of evidence that points to Darlie's guilt without mentioning the "silly string" incident that so many are hung up on.

In my opinion the "silly string" event doesn't lead me to guilt or innocence in this case.

I remember seeing the "silly string" birthday at the gravesite on TV back when it happened. I thought it made it obvious that she was guilty. Fast-forward 20 years; my husband passed away suddenly, at a young age. My behavior became SO bizarre I didn't even recognize myself. After several years, I now look back at the strange things I did and CAN'T believe it was ME!! I just watched Darlie's story on 20/20, I don't believe she killed those children. I KNOW the strange things people do when they're in shock and grief; I lived it. I don't think it's right that the biggest reason people believe she's guilty is because of the "silly string" incident. The one question I DO have is in the 911 tape. She keeps referring to "they", not "he". Anyone else notice that?
for me the clincher is the tone and vindictive hateful way darlie speaks to Darrin while she is on the 911 call.
specifically his name. it is rageful. ........not panic...scared....….rageful.
considering what according to her she had just been through??......hmmmm.
take all the other words away and just hear her say his name. gives me chills every time I hear it.

moo

After watching the 20/20 episode, I think she’s innocent. MOO Her response to touching the knife in the 911 call was taken out of context. The 911 operator told her not to touch anything and then she made the comment about touching the knife. The silly string video was after a video of a little memorial by the grave where she was crying and they were all praying. They never showed that first video. These are just a couple things that stand out. Also the fingerprint and sock. MOO

After watching the 20/20 episode, I think she’s innocent. MOO Her response to touching the knife in the 911 call was taken out of context. The 911 operator told her not to touch anything and then she made the comment about touching the knife. The silly string video was after a video of a little memorial by the grave where she was crying and they were all praying. They never showed that first video. These are just a couple things that stand out. Also the fingerprint and sock. MOO

Exactly. Whether she did it or not, the prosecution was willing to do whatever it took to get a conviction. The detectives even plead the 5th because they didn't want to reveal that they hid evidence. I was furious after seeing how the whole thing was handled. The juror who basically said because she bought jewelry and had breast implants she was a terrible person who must of done it. Thats not how I would want to pin down my suspect to a crime. I was disgusted.

Exactly. Whether she did it or not, the prosecution was willing to do whatever it took to get a conviction. The detectives even plead the 5th because they didn't want to reveal that they hid evidence. I was furious after seeing how the whole thing was handled. The juror who basically said because she bought jewelry and had breast implants she was a terrible person who must of done it. Thats not how I would want to pin down my suspect to a crime. I was disgusted.
Yes! Exactly! It was very disturbing and those jurors basically found her guilty because of her jewelry (which was purchased at pawn shops), breast implants, and silly string. Absolutely ridiculous. She deserves another trial and for that fingerprint and sock to be tested. MOO

I need to find a way to watch it in canada. I’ve been 100% certain she did it. Also the husband is like a overzealous car salesman and gives me the willies. IMO I sure as *advertiser censored* will eat crow pie too and be totally mind blown if she’s innocent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back