Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

I wonder if the search teams know to look up. If he is a curious active climber, he could be in a tree, even at his young age. My youngest at 13 months, was on top of the fridge in the blink of an eye.
Maybe, but thinking that since he's only 22 months old, how likely is it he is able to climb a tree. My 2 year old grandson wouldn't even have a clue. And he's still too little even for climbing gyms at the park.

I'm just catching up with this one but I think I became aware of little Kenneth missing because I read Toney Wade and his Cajun search and rescue are headed there!
I'm confused. Is the search on or off?
I saw that too, but then a rebuttal of it, due to needing permission or having to be asked officially. Something I didn't quite understand. Legalese I suppose.

I was wondering if any bear had been seen in the area.... We've had them on our place, so I keep a watch out for them.

There are absolutely bears around there. We live in Floyd County, and we saw a bear behind the home of our neighbor. We have also seen wolves, fox, and even a baby bobcat (it's mother had to be around somewhere).

Bears will come near a home when they are hungry. The bear we saw behind our neighbors house was a small bear looking for food. We got pictures. There are hills all around us as well. Turkeys, deer, possum and once in a while a wild dog "pack" has been spotted.

KH may not have been able to go very far, but animals can see and might attack a little one. Our neighbor tried to keep chickens. He built a nice pen and covered it to keep the eagles away from them. They hover and watch the chickens and will scoop down and get them (or any small animal). I don't know if anything like that might have happened to little KH. But, he's somewhere. Praying today is the day.

I watched the Mother’s interview. I do sympathize with her because she does appear to be grieving.

She doesn't call “Kenny” by name, she just says she feels dazed and she can’t eat or sleep.

No mention of her concern that her 22 mo old baby is out in the night, all alone, cold, wet and hungry.

IMHO, sadly, I think an accident happened to little Kenny and this is a cover-up to make it appear that he just wandered away.

Very sad.

JMHO
People handle grief in different ways. She also could be overcome with guilt, for whatever reason, and that's what we're seeing from her (or a combo). Guilt, perhaps because he disappeared when she was supposed to be watching him, perhaps that guilt that all parents have when something harms their child..or perhaps, as you theorize, because she knows what happened and has played a part in it. ALL speculation, but I tend to agree with your theory.

There are absolutely bears around there. We live in Floyd County, and we saw a bear behind the home of our neighbor. We have also seen wolves, fox, and even a baby bobcat (it's mother had to be around somewhere).

Bears will come near a home when they are hungry. The bear we saw behind our neighbors house was a small bear looking for food. We got pictures. There are hills all around us as well. Turkeys, deer, possum and once in a while a wild dog "pack" has been spotted.

KH may not have been able to go very far, but animals can see and might attack a little one. Our neighbor tried to keep chickens. He built a nice pen and covered it to keep the eagles away from them. They hover and watch the chickens and will scoop down and get them (or any small animal). I don't know if anything like that might have happened to little KH. But, he's somewhere. Praying today is the day.

I’d wondered about bears and bobcats being in the area. If Kenneth stumbled upon a mama bear and her cubs, or he encountered a bobcat and was attacked, I think the dogs or the searchers would’ve discovered evidence of that by now. In the bear and big cat attacks that I’ve read about, the victim of the attack is usually found very near the area where they were attacked.

JMO

If he’s in the woods, I doubt he’s in real good shape by now, 48+ hours later. Jmo

Curious what y’all think?
Did he walk away & manage to keep on going?
Or is there more to this story?

I dont know what to think. I swore my daughter was part mountain goat at that age. I'm one of the few that believe it's entirely possible he could have wandered a long way, up hills and all. I'm worried he took a tumble or curled up like a wooly worm. He looks pretty slim so he could be super hard to find if he was curled up sleeping or terrified.

I've been watching this and was hoping beyond hope that they would find this sweet little boy. He looks so much like my bubs and they're so close in age that it literally hurts my heart when I see his picture and think of him lost, alone and afraid.

I have 2 kids, both of whom are like 100% different from each other. My daughter never would have wandered into woods by herself. My son? He would and has. Our school's playground is bordered by woods and my son (28m) will walk right in there without even looking back. He absolutely would and could get completely lost. He's a daredevil, a climber, and very curious.

I hope they find this sweet boy soon!

Theres no doubt in my mind that a curious no fear almost 2yr old toddler is fully capable of wandering into a wooded area. Heck I have seen it first hand.

The thing is, here you have a property that is located in a hollow surrounded on atleast 3 sides with steep hills.

There is some area around the property before the hills begin to get extremely steep, but its well inside the 1/2 mile radius

I think the searchers and investigators know that there is no physical way that a 21 month old could make it out of that 1/2 mile radius via the steep wooded terrain.

I think many are failing to realize just how steep the hills are that surround this property really are

I think the problem investigators are running into is that the story that they are being given doesn't match the facts of what is possible

Maybe, but thinking that since he's only 22 months old, how likely is it he is able to climb a tree. My 2 year old grandson wouldn't even have a clue. And he's still too little even for climbing gyms at the park.
I dont know what to think. I swore my daughter was part mountain goat at that age. I'm one of the few that believe it's entirely possible he could have wandered a long way, up hills and all. I'm worried he took a tumble or curled up like a wooly worm. He looks pretty slim so he could be super hard to find if he was curled up sleeping or terrified.
In the 1990s, there were these window clings on cars that had No Fear in italics. I used to tell everyone I was going to write that on the back of my youngest daughters diaper. This little boy sounds just like my daughter at that age. Phenomenal gross motor skills and muscles for their age. That indicates his nutrition was great, his stimulation from others was good, he had freedom of movement, all the things excellent parenting provides. This is not a boy that’s been held back or abused. He is curious, fast, strong, capable of just about anything, at any time. I bet he could have climbed a small tree, a boulder, squeezed into an outcropping of rocks, rolled down a hill squealing in delight, etc. getting further in that terrain than anyone expected.

<modsnip - victim blaming>

Last edited by a moderator:
Following this thread. Not sure what to think except it doesn’t make sense, and usually that doesn’t end well. Seems like another Madeline case of a toddler disappearing into thin air.

I was hoping this would be like the toddler girl that was found in the woods in Kentucky not long ago. But from the start this was suspicious. Who waits an hour to call 911....maybe it doesn't sound that long until you have young children. When my kids have gone "missing" briefly around the house/yard my heart is pounding, my mind is racing, I am a total wreck. It's the worst feeling in the world. Even not seeing one at school pick up immediately I get that panicky feeling. An hour just blows my mind.

LEX 18 News‏Verified account @LEX18News

Kentucky State Police spokesman William Petry says there’s no evidence of foul play and a kidnapping would be odd in such a rural area, but police aren’t ruling out anything.

Search Area Widens For Missing Toddler In Eastern Kentucky

LEX 18 News on Twitter

From your link:

~snip

News outlets report Magoffin County Emergency Management Director Robert Prater says the original search area was a half-mile radius from the home but is now about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) and includes an old, overgrown mining operation.

Magoffin County Search and Rescue Chief Carter Conley says crews are using dogs, ATVs, helicopters and drones with thermal cameras to search the rugged terrain.

Last edited:
I was hoping this would be like the toddler girl that was found in the woods in Kentucky not long ago. But from the start this was suspicious. Who waits an hour to call 911....maybe it doesn't sound that long until you have young children. When my kids have gone "missing" briefly around the house/yard my heart is pounding, my mind is racing, I am a total wreck. It's the worst feeling in the world. Even not seeing one at school pick up immediately I get that panicky feeling. An hour just blows my mind.
They called the fire department who helped them search before calling 911.
Missing toddler in Gunlock | Salyersville Independent
When they realized he was missing, they started looking for him, then called the South Magoffin Volunteer Fire Department, whose members helped search for the child for approximately half an hour before calling 911. Kentucky State Police, Magoffin County Sheriff Department, Magoffin County Rescue Squad and other agencies then joined the search, and are still looking at present time.

Wolfe County Search & Rescue

Yesterday, members from Wolfe County Search & Rescue along with other squads and volunteers from around the area continued the search for the 22 month old toddler in Magoffin County. We have included a photo of Kenneth to be shared. All avenues are being pursued, including the possibility of an abduction, so we ask that everyone please look at this photo, share it and keep your eyes open. The terrain in this area is very mountainous and rugged but searchers are doing an excellent job in clearing search areas. Lost Person behavior statistics indicate most 1-3 yr. old’s are located within .25 miles of their last know point. This area has now been cleared and the search area will expand. We will once again be joining in with other squads to continue the search today.

Wolfe County Search & Rescue Team

There has been a few recent cases of young children found by dog walkers. Everyone in this rural area likely keeps their dog behind a fence so there no need to walk them. However, now would be a great time to take your dog for a walk!

From your link:

~snip

News outlets report Magoffin County Emergency Management Director Robert Prater says the original search area was a half-mile radius from the home but is now about 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) and includes an old, overgrown mining operation.

Magoffin County Search and Rescue Chief Carter Conley says crews are using dogs, ATVs, helicopters and drones with thermal cameras to search the rugged terrain.

Posting Hollye's map again for those who haven't seen it. You can see strip mines near the home in different areas. Not sure which strip mine they're searching though. The strip mines on the map are tan to pale green, barren areas with clear paths/roads running throughout them.

Kenneth Howard - 12 May 2019 - Google My Maps

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back